Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Frank Reich is bad at calling plays.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like his spirt and the way his players respond to him. Needs to hand over personnel and play calling decisions during the game to Nick. This nonsense of trying to outsmart people only makes him look

What's wrong with discussing negatives? You don't have to let it spoil your excitement for the win. Let the people discuss and vent a little. 

Why is he running it up the middle with Hines on telegrahped run plays?   If I can predict the playcall, then people who are being paid millions of dollars sure as heck know what the playcal

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I like reich a lot too. IMO you take your 3 when you have a top 5 D. Different mentallity IG. 

The call to go for it was correct. The playcall was wrong, very wrong. Period. End of story.

• Confused 1
21 minutes ago, coltsfan_canada said:

I am confused here when Taylor is hot why is he sent to bench on crucial plays? mind boggling... ??

The only thing I can think of is with Rivers immobile , maybe they want a more experienced RB in for pass protection ? Not that I agree with Taylor getting 13 carries in this game.

Frank has the look of a deer in the headlights.  It took an absolute miracle to happen for us to win this game.  Over and ever again we see his failed play calling, game planning, clock management. and lately undisciplined play by the team.  Everyone wants to give him the benefit of the doubt but this is getting ridiculous.  We managed to get a miracle win today despite his display of ineptitude.  This is a good team and roster but it is starting to look like he's going to hold us back.  And it appears there is nothing that can be done to prevent it.  What a shame.  

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Why is he running it up the middle with Hines on telegrahped run plays?

If I can predict the playcall, then people who are being paid millions of dollars sure as heck know what the playcall is too. It's sad. 

Texans stink on stopping the run and the Colts only needed one but I don't agree with not taking three points.

Reich has stretches where I think his play calling is terrible. I think he tries to get too cute.  I am sure if you did the statistics, Rivers taking the ball from center and giving to Taylor between tackles probably works most of the time.  Yet, at times, they completely abandon it.  If we have such a great offensive line, we shouldn't have to be so cute to get 1 yard.  And what is up with going empty backfield when Rivers is getting killed by the pass rush?

Compare that to Belichick teams.  If they can run on you, they pound it down your throat all day. They find what works and hammers you with it.  Reich will get something working then completely change the approach.  Just drives me crazy.  Quit being Pep Hamilton.

6 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Reich has stretches where I think his play calling is terrible. I think he tries to get too cute.  I am sure if you did the statistics, Rivers taking the ball from center and giving to Taylor between tackles probably works most of the time.  Yet, at times, they completely abandon it.  If we have such a great offensive line, we shouldn't have to be so cute to get 1 yard.  And what is up with going empty backfield when Rivers is getting killed by the pass rush?

Compare that to Belichick teams.  If they can run on you, they pound it down your throat all day. They find what works and hammers you with it.  Reich will get something working then completely change the approach.  Just drives me crazy.  Quit being Pep Hamilton.

Let's face it Frank is not a good coach and Belichick is.  Coaches make a difference.  Heck I think Caldwell would be an improvement right now.  

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Frank just said in his presser that they feel all three backs are the same and can run that play. Said that Hines has routinely made that play work.

wth is he smoking today

:facepalm: :flaming: :wall: :thmdown: :groan:

none of that is directed at you and all at Frank.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Let's face it Frank is not a good coach and Belichick is.  Coaches make a difference.  Heck I think Caldwell would be an improvement right now.  

What?

Coach and playcaller are two different things. I wouldn't say he is a bad coach. I just think he needs to call the games better.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

I agree that Frank isn’t Belichick but show me another coach in the NFL that is.

2 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

You like that we passed on points that would've put the game out of reach? Not something I can get behind on a regular basis. And I bet that tune would change if Watson's center didn't throw the game. 

I mean. It would have been 7 points. Thats not out of reach with 6 minutes left on the clock. You're editing history to be mad. 

I don't disagree with going on 4th down, I'm a bit frustrated with the Hines run, but he scored on a similar play earlier in the game. 

We won- plain and simple. You can be upset if you want to, but thats up to you. I will take Reich as my coach any day of the week. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Dark_Indy said:

I mean. It would have been 7 points. Thats not out of reach with 6 minutes left on the clock. You're editing history to be mad. 

I don't disagree with going on 4th down, I'm a bit frustrated with the Hines run, but he scored on a similar play earlier in the game. 

We won- plain and simple. You can be upset if you want to, but thats up to you. I will take Reich as my coach any day of the week. 

Being up seven is a lot different than being up four in a game you need to win.  

I am happy the Colts won but I am concerned about that decision and the fact Frank seems to think he played and called it perfectly.

Remember though the Reich doesn’t decide which back is in. 

Tom Rathman has the autonomy to solely decide that.

Reich knows Taylor is the better back, look at the scripted plays to start the game, it is Taylor in the game.

Reich and Needs to get Tom on the same page. He is calling the plays regardless of which back is in there, and with him busy calling the plays he has no time to override Rathman and tell him which back to put in.

9 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

What?

Coach and playcaller are two different things. I wouldn't say he is a bad coach. I just think he needs to call the games better.

On our team coach and play caller are not two different things.  They are the same guy.  And he's not good at play calling.  He's proven that time and time again.  So what should the coach do?  I say fire the play caller and turn it over to Siranni.  My confidence in Reich as a play caller is gone.  

2 hours ago, richard pallo said:

Frank has the look of a deer in the headlights.  It took an absolute miracle to happen for us to win this game.  Over and ever again we see his failed play calling, game planning, clock management. and lately undisciplined play by the team.  Everyone wants to give him the benefit of the doubt but this is getting ridiculous.  We managed to get a miracle win today despite his display of ineptitude.  This is a good team and roster but it is starting to look like he's going to hold us back.  And it appears there is nothing that can be done to prevent it.  What a shame.  

Who on this roster wows u?

If it was 4th and goal at the 1, where 1 yard puts you up two scores, I say go for it. That wins you the game. Where it's 4th and 1 and 1 yard gives you a first down and not a TD, take the points. I keep reading if we made it, we lock up the game. Not true. Even if we make it there is no guaranty we end up with a TD with a first and goal at the 4 (as Houston can attest to), especially with the way we seem to get untimely holding calls.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, coltsva said:

If it was 4th and goal at the 1, where 1 yard puts you up two scores, I say go for it. That wins you the game. Where it's 4th and 1 and 1 yard gives you a first down and not a TD, take the points. I keep reading if we made it, we lock up the game. Not true. Even if we make it there is no guaranty we end up with a TD with a first and goal at the 4 (as Houston can attest to), especially with the way we seem to get untimely holding calls.

I don’t mind the call as much as I mind the play call itself and using Hines... again

18 minutes ago, Dark_Indy said:

I agree. U go for it. U put the ball in your hands. U make the play and game over. P.S.. I dont think Frank trusts his defence at all and I dont blame.  Look at the end of the game. It was like a hot knife going thru butter. The lack of defence puts a lot of pressure on Frank to go for it

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I don’t mind the call as much as I mind the play call itself and using Hines... again

At the time I said "kick it," but to be honest, it wasn't an emphatic "KICK IT!" Hated the play call.

• Like 1

The funny part is everyone is complaining about the 4th and 1, but everyone is perfectly fine with going for it on 4th and 4, because it was a great play that was called, "but Frank is a bad play caller (sarcasm)"

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

The funny part is everyone is complaining about the 4th and 1, but everyone is perfectly fine with going for it on 4th and 4, because it was a great play that was called, "but Frank is a bad play caller (sarcasm)"

There was a huge difference. Using Hines with a play up the gut was wrong. Not going for it but the play. The 4th and four was a good call against GB because they used Hines strengths.

I think the coaches break out their slide rules and speed squares along with probability and tendancies equations to over think matters of physics. little runner, 12 lineman bunched in a phone booth = 0. PLAY ACTION PLAY ACTION! FOR GOD'S SAKE:tvsmash:

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

A win is a win

Why are you complaining 

Would you rather us lose

Do you think teams just skip training everytime time they win?  You should learn by your mistakes win or lose... 

Stick to making no content topics... And let people discuss how this team could improve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Exactly. We can’t be too hard on the guy. Definitely not as much as some here are doing.
But Frank does seem to overthink things sometimes instead of just throwing in the players that make the plays. Was he thinking that since Hines was back there, that the defense wouldn’t expect it up the gut? I want to know the thought process behind it.

3 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Terrible play calling once again to finish out a game, or lose a game. Convince me otherwise. 

A couple ideas.  He did have a fourth down call go for 7, and where we did get stuffed on a fourth down call on goal to go, it did turn into 2 where it may have otherwise been 3.  So the net effect on aggressive calls was +6.  He has data that supports the calls, I would have kicked the FG and I wouldn't have gone for the 4th and 4 early...net result would have been -6 for me.  So...pick your poison, today like it or not Frank got it more right than wrong.  And, for another post, we run Wilkins late due to ball security I believe...I'll take the win and be happy, there will be plenty of losses to be upset about.

3 hours ago, AustinnKaine said:

Why is he running it up the middle with Hines on telegrahped run plays?

If I can predict the playcall, then people who are being paid millions of dollars sure as heck know what the playcall is too. It's sad. 

I couldn't agree more I don't pretend to know more than Reich but man it seems like he's a terrible play caller from my perspective. I mean it's not just about running the ball up the middle near the goal line but why can't we run like a draw play to Taylor it would help the play action that we never seem to run. I could go and on and on but I don't have time right now. 

3 hours ago, richard pallo said:

His eyes are shockingly similar to pagano's....hes a better coach but the same fear and indecision seems to be creeping in.

28 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There was a huge difference. Using Hines with a play up the gut was wrong. Not going for it but the play. The 4th and four was a good call against GB because they used Hines strengths.

Well said

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Being up seven is a lot different than being up four in a game you need to win.  

I am happy the Colts won but I am concerned about that decision and the fact Frank seems to think he played and called it perfectly.

I get that, but the original quote was unrealistic. 7 points is not "out of reach" and the poster I quoted is simply changing reality to fit his narrative. 

Just now, Dark_Indy said:

I get that, but the original quote was unrealistic. 7 points is not "out of reach" and the poster I quoted is simply changing reality to fit his narrative. 

In theory being up 11 with six minutes isn’t out of reach either.  

For those that think Frank’s sucks look at the Jets calling cover zero with 16 second left in the game and getting burned bad.  THATS a bad coach and why the Jets are 0-12 and on their way to 0-16.  Frank made a mistake today and I don’t like how stubborn he’s being with the Hines up the gut play but he’s 8-4 he’s doing something right.