Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers requires surgery on his foot (Merged)


Recommended Posts

42 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, I mostly agree here.    I think Rivers will play EVERY week.   And you have to respect a guy whose playing with pain like this.    I'm only saying his QUALITY of play may be uneven based on his pain tolerance.   That's all I'm trying to say.

 

That’s fair.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For 25million and playoffs on the line, he better tape that thing up and go win some ball games.     Seriously tho, that is one tough 38yr old.  I’m still whining about the cut I got on my thum

If Rivers is having surgery after the end of the season, then, in my opinion, he is having surgery after the end of his career.

I could see this causing Rivers to hang the cleats up after this season now.   There was a good chance anyway,  it this has to increase it, IMO. And doing it blocking none the less.

13 minutes ago, chad72 said:

When Peyton had his issues in 2015 with his foot, Kubiak benched him and went with Osweiler because Peyton was hurting the team at that point. This is a HOF QB we are talking about who had earned a LOT of rope. Once Peyton had minor surgery and was back and active and ready to go, that is when Kubiak put him back, and Peyton at least steadied the Broncos ship during the playoffs. 

 

Unless it gets to a point where Rivers' play hurts the Colts like with Peyton where he threw 3 or 4 picks in 1 game within 2 quarters while the Broncos played the Chiefs, Rivers is our starter.

Peyton was also done at that point.  If you watched him that season his play had declined in a major way and that wasn’t just a foot.  He did steady them in the playoffs but he was a game manager at that point avoiding big mistakes that Oaweiler couldn’t and getting them out of bad plays.  Not saying that didn’t have a value because he did as he won the Super Bowl I am just saying he wasn’t the same Manning we knew and loved and it wasn’t just because of the injury.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, chad72 said:

When Peyton had his issues in 2015 with his foot, Kubiak benched him and went with Osweiler because Peyton was hurting the team at that point. This is a HOF QB we are talking about who had earned a LOT of rope. Once Peyton had minor surgery and was back and active and ready to go, that is when Kubiak put him back, and Peyton at least steadied the Broncos ship during the playoffs. 

 

Unless it gets to a point where Rivers' play hurts the Colts like with Peyton where he threw 3 or 4 picks in 1 game within 2 quarters while the Broncos played the Chiefs, Rivers is our starter.

That's not how it went down -The Broncos played the Chargers in Week 17 of that season and Osweiler was the starting QB. He had a horrid 1st half in which he was intercepted twice and lost a fumble to boot, and he was replaced by Manning midway through the 3rd Quarter after yet another fumble. The Broncos had a stellar defense at the time and the Chargers had failed to capitalize (at least with points) to these multiple turnovers, and only led by 6 points when Peyton entered the game. Manning led the Broncos to a 27-20 win and never relinquished the starting role, holding it down during the playoffs and on through to their Superbowl 50 victory.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think this should come as a surprise, to anyone.

 

You could clearly see it was affecting Rivers throughout the game.

 

As the second tweet posted in the thread, you could see he wasn't stepping into passes like usual and one hopped wrs multiple times.

 

Hopefully he starts feeling a little better, but turf toe is a painful injury.

Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Stephen said:

We'll see how he plays sunday. If it is truely bad then we may lose all five games

We're not losing all five games.  Don’t lose a minutes sleep that that could happen.   We could start JB in some of those games and win some.   I don’t see this team going 0-5 down the stretch. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Stephen said:

Not an injured  rivers that can't  step into his throws. Pretty sure  Eason  is better  than that Rivers

 

Based off what exactly? You saw him throw? He may be Brock Osweiler or Chase Daniel, you don't know anything about who Eason is, nor do I. The conviction you're speaking with is something.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Colt.45 said:

 

Based off what exactly? You saw him throw? He may be Brock Osweiler or Chase Daniel, you don't know anything about who Eason is, nor do I. The conviction you're speaking with is something.

Any qb that can step into throws is better than one who can't. Assuming  he can't do  to injury

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We're not losing all five games.  Don’t lose a minutes sleep that that could happen.   We could start JB in some of those games and win some.   I don’t see this team going 0-5 down the stretch. 

Im saying  I hope it isn't  so bad that he goes out and plays bad all five games and they keep  trotting  him out there

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Stephen said:

Not an injured  rivers that can't  step into his throws. Pretty sure  Eason  is better  than that Rivers

1 hour ago, Colt.45 said:

 

Based off what exactly? You saw him throw? He may be Brock Osweiler or Chase Daniel, you don't know anything about who Eason is, nor do I. The conviction you're speaking with is something.

I’m pretty sure that if Jacob Eason was ready to be the primary backup QB, much less start & get his feet wet in the NFL, the Colts would’ve probably moved Jacoby Brissett at the trade deadline, or even sooner to Dallas after Dak Prescott got injured.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

That's not how it went down -The Broncos played the Chargers in Week 17 of that season and Osweiler was the starting QB. He had a horrid 1st half in which he was intercepted twice and lost a fumble to boot, and he was replaced by Manning midway through the 3rd Quarter after yet another fumble. The Broncos had a stellar defense at the time and the Chargers had failed to capitalize (at least with points) to these multiple turnovers, and only led by 6 points when Peyton entered the game. Manning led the Broncos to a 27-20 win and never relinquished the starting role, holding it down during the playoffs and on through to their Superbowl 50 victory.


True. My point was he was healthy enough to play and his foot wasn’t bothering him anymore. So just like he lost his starter job for a bad performance, the reverse happened and he never relinquished it. If Peyton wasn’t healthy, Osweiler would have kept his starting job despite the bad performance, IMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Im saying  I hope it isn't  so bad that he goes out and plays bad all five games and they keep  trotting  him out there

I understand.

 

I believe at some point of Rivers playing so poorly, we’d sit him down and play with JB.   And I believe we’d win with JB.   Not against Pittsburgh, but against the other teams on our schedule.   And I appreciate that many here might strongly disagree with me.   But that’s my view. 

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If Rivers foot is worse then being lead to believe and is still playing yes it shows he is tough. But it begs to question does the staff know it and if they do why is he playing. That's why they signed Jacoby for $20,000,000 as a backup. He is more then serviceable for a game or 2. He was playing well last season till that knee injury. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

If Rivers foot is worse then being lead to believe and is still playing yes it shows he is tough. But it begs to question does the staff know it and if they do why is he playing. That's why they signed Jacoby for $20,000,000 as a backup. He is more then serviceable for a game or 2. He was playing well last season till that knee injury. 

I would assume if Nelson knows and told the media they know as I am sure they have talked to the team doctors about their starting QB’s injury.  Also I would assume he’s playing because he’s healthy enough to play.  Just because Nelson said it was pretty bad doesn’t mean it’s so bad he shouldn’t be playing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I’m pretty sure that if Jacob Eason was ready to be the primary backup QB, much less start & get his feet wet in the NFL, the Colts would’ve probably moved Jacoby Brissett at the trade deadline, or even sooner to Dallas after Dak Prescott got injured.

No team was trading for Brissett  with that  contract. Brissett  is the backup  because  of the contract 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

We saw him last week with the same injury and when not under pressure he was fine.

The coaches don’t think he’s ready enough to dress.  He’s not starting.  Like it or not Jacoby is the back up.

It's  all about commitment  to veterans  and the contract with this staff. Look how long it took to sit vinatieri 

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I’m pretty sure that if Jacob Eason was ready to be the primary backup QB, much less start & get his feet wet in the NFL, the Colts would’ve probably moved Jacoby Brissett at the trade deadline, or even sooner to Dallas after Dak Prescott got injured.

If, if, if, if.

 

Bottom line is....   you don’t know.   None of us knows.   But you sure don’t seem to understand how much the front office and coaching staff values Jacoby.   He’s a key part of what we do. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Stephen said:

It's  all about commitment  to veterans  and the contract with this staff. Look how long it took to sit vinatieri 

Yeah no it’s not if you really believe that then I don’t know what to tell you.  Just because they stuck with Adam for so long doesn’t mean they are just keeping Eason on the bench because they are paying others more.  If that was the case Grover wouldn’t have gotten the starting job of Day and Stallworth and Pascal wouldn’t be the number two WR over Campbell or Pittman.  
 

Eason was a fourth round pick at QB.  Just about any fourth round pick at QB needs time to develop and isn’t ready to play right away.  If they were they wouldn’t have fallen to fourth round.  
 

Just because some don’t like Jacoby doesn’t make Eason ready and you can do real damage by playing at a guy at QB before he’s ready.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Yeah no it’s not if you really believe that then I don’t know what to tell you.  Just because they stuck with Adam for so long doesn’t mean they are just keeping Eason on the bench because they are paying others more.  If that was the case Grover wouldn’t have gotten the starting job of Day and Stallworth and Pascal wouldn’t be the number two WR over Campbell or Pittman.  
 

Eason was a fourth round pick at QB.  Just about any fourth round pick at QB needs time to develop and isn’t ready to play right away.  If they were they wouldn’t have fallen to fourth round.  
 

Just because some don’t like Jacoby doesn’t make Eason ready and you can do real damage by playing at a guy at QB before he’s ready.  

Campbell  is hurt and Pittman  just came back from  injury.  Pascal clearly  isn't  number 2 worthy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Campbell  is hurt and Pittman  just came back from  injury.  Pascal clearly  isn't  number 2 worthy.

He was the number two at the start of the year when the other two were healthy as well.  Campbell was the slot and Pittman played at situational times.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stephen said:

It's  all about commitment  to veterans  and the contract with this staff. Look how long it took to sit vinatieri 

You're doubling down on a bad hand.   They brought in kickers all last season for tryouts against AV.   And both CB and FR said Adam beat them out every time. 
 

He was given the benefit of the doubt because, as the greatest kicker in NFL history,  AV had EARNED the benefit of the doubt.   When he physically couldn’t perform anymore, Adam was replaced.

 

Did you happen to notice there were no stories of complaints by players, or coaches of staff ir anyone.  No one complained.  Only fans. 
 

There are no conspiracy theories here.  People make their livelihoods in the NFL.  Lose too many games and you could lose your job, your home and have to move elsewhere.  

Just because we didn’t give Green a shot last year, or Eason a shot this year, doesn’t mean something bad is going on.  It simply means they’re just not ready.   Nothing more. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're doubling down on a bad hand.   They brought in kickers all last season for tryouts against AV.   And both CB and FR said Adam beat them out every time. 
 

He was given the benefit of the doubt because, as the greatest kicker in NFL history,  AV had EARNED the benefit of the doubt.   When he physically couldn’t perform anymore, Adam was replaced.

 

Did you happen to notice there were no stories of complaints by players, or coaches of staff ir anyone.  No one complained.  Only fans. 
 

There are no conspiracy theories here.  People make their livelihoods in the NFL.  Lose too many games and you could lose your job, your home and have to move elsewhere.  

Just because we didn’t give Green a shot last year, or Eason a shot this year, doesn’t mean something bad is going on.  It simply means they’re just not ready.   Nothing more. 

 

But that means admitting Jacoby is the second best QB on the roster and some just can’t bring themselves to do that.  I want nothing to do with Jacoby being the season starter but you can do a lot worse in a pinch back up situation.  Don’t believe me?  Look up what Scott Toilzen, Brian Hoyer, and, Curtis Painter did as backups.  
 

just for the record I am just building on your point not disagreeing with it.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I’m pretty sure that if Jacob Eason was ready to be the primary backup QB, much less start & get his feet wet in the NFL, the Colts would’ve probably moved Jacoby Brissett at the trade deadline, or even sooner to Dallas after Dak Prescott got injured.

I think there is some weird, emotional reason Brissett is on the roster.  That or a pride thing because they shelled out an extra 28 mill for him.


He has no future as a Colts starter.  He currently takes reps that should be given to the young kid.

 

this franchise is in trouble.  Talented enough not to be in a position to draft a highly rated QB.  Big contracts coming soon.

 

we have the most expensive QB room in the league with no obvious solution In sight after Rivers is done here,

 

 They run plays for Brisset like he’s some sort of athlete which he clearly isn’t.  Rivers is probably the only QB slower than him.

 

JB is just in the way.

 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Assuming Rivers doesn't have to run for his life over the next week, and hopefully Kelly returning, I think it'll be okay. Unless, of course the injury is far worse than we're being told, which wouldn't surprise me with how Indy handles injuries and reporting them.


With or without the toe Philip couldn’t run for his life if his life depended on it.

 

He kinda jogs for his life. haha

 

Egyptian Lover Mummy GIF by MOODMAN

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nickster said:

I think there is some weird, emotional reason Brissett is on the roster.  That or a pride thing because they shelled out an extra 28 mill for him.


He has no future as a Colts starter.  He currently takes reps that should be given to the young kid.

 

this franchise is in trouble.  Talented enough not to be in a position to draft a highly rated QB.  Big contracts coming soon.

 

we have the most expensive QB room in the league with no obvious solution In sight after Rivers is done here,

 

 They run plays for Brisset like he’s some sort of athlete which he clearly isn’t.  Rivers is probably the only QB slower than him.

 

JB is just in the way.

 

 

I agree with most of your points, Reich has used JB as Mister "QB Sneak" at the goal line or for a 4'n'short. Honestly he is a liability, from time to time he'll scramble for a 1st down but that doesn't justify keeping him on and especially depriving the Eason from getting time. Why not put him in in garbage time to see how he handles getting hit by J.J Watt? (ASSUMING there will be garbage time with a Colts W of course!) 

 

Maybe it's a HAH F YOU PATRIOTS or a "Ok Jacoby, tell us everything that comes out of the Hoodies mouth". 

 

It's getting ridiculous, Ballard picked a great D though lacks depth. Then did nothing after Mack went down Week 1, we have a plethora of good receivers and tight-ends, but we need someone like 2018-2019 T.Y Hilton to draw the opposing D. I wonder if they'll put Watt on Hilton, double him or jusy play zone. Thoughts? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Four2itus said:

And that is because of his football acumen......which is pretty stout.

 

Heck, with a competent D, even an end of the road Peyton was valuable because of his football acumen. Rivers is no way close to that whatsoever and thus is definitely valuable.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • MTC changed the title to Rivers requires surgery on his foot (Merged)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Well if we keep 3 QBs then whoever is better in camp/training can be the back up.
    • I have no idea what to do with measurements and athletic testing from players this year. Do you ignore them altogether? How do you know which ones are real'ish?      
    • In reality they are probably right to point out that most GMs in the league don't have long enough track record to be free of small sample bias one way or the other. It's very likely if you gave every GM 100 drafts, their draft success will tend to converge toward the average. BTW, I wonder where Grigson would be on those graphs. I would guess pretty high thanks to drafting Luck and TY Hilton(similar to HOU in this graph thanks to Deshaun Watson). Just another reminder that even though those graphs might be useful in some cases you have to keep in mind their limitations and biases.
    • Doug...  these anti-Watson rants have gone from bad to worse.   Other posters here have noted you make it sound personal.   You have mischaracterized most everything that has happened.   Watson has a lot of support around the NFL.   I’d say far more support than dont.   I don’t pretend to know how this is going to finish?   But I hope you can lower the temperature here...   I don’t think it’s helpful.   Just my two cents...     
    • Yeah, if Miller or Haeg had the WHOLE resume and the talent of Godwin maybe we should. Worth pointing out that this was probably the worst stretch of Godwin's career (and it was mainly thanks to drops). I think he had like 7 drops in the playoffs while never having more than 2 in a whole season previously. I would personally consider that a freaky happenstance, and trust the much bigger sample of him being a very reliable catcher of the football. Also, it's not me that's taken it here. YOU just did.   I've already pointed out several times that this is NOT my 'take', but rather a guess on part of the explanation on the Bucs place in those graphs. So why do you keep going with this? At this point I am considering this bad faith exchange on your part. On the second part - yes, it would have to be taken in consideration(if they were up for trade and tied in similar contracts, rather than Godwin being a FA). BTW Godwin is one of the players we should consider breaking Ballard's bank on this FA. Insert Whynothaveboth.gif Agree with this. Evans is both better and more valuable than Godwin. Worth pointing out that both Superbowl teams had premier pass catching weapons as it relates to our discussion on the value of the position.  
  • Members

    • IinD

      IinD 2,146

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • crazycolt1

      crazycolt1 7,363

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • luv_pony_express

      luv_pony_express 622

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shadow_Creek

      Shadow_Creek 695

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ScotColt

      ScotColt 183

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CR91

      CR91 6,366

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 9,207

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsfanmurf

      coltsfanmurf 51

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...