Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ben and Eason Comparison

Shadow_Creek

So i was looking at both stats college wise of both players and even tho Bens numbers were greater Eason really had a solid junior year 

Jacob Easons stats:    https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jacob-eason-1.html

Ben Roethlisberger college stats:  https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ben-roethlisberger-1.html

Ben even had better rushing in college which is surprising considering he isn't known for being very mobile. However i was thinking if somehow after this season or next if Eason does start maybe he could put up good numbers similar to Ben because both QB's are tall in frame and both are not very mobile but they do have killer deep passing arm attacks.

It’s a shame Eason has never had a chance to progress as a QB over the course of a few seasons at the higher levels.  Play a year. Essentially miss 2 straight years.  Play a year.  Get drafted. Now sit another year.  His stats matched up with Ben’s first 2 years. Ben noticeably took a huge leap after 3 consecutive years of starting in the same program. Eason had respectable numbers for a true freshman starter in the SEC.  Then after the 2 year hiatus, in an all new system at Washington, his numbers match up well with Ben’s...  I think he’d have taken a similar leap to Ben in another year at Washington. 

Maybe we need to give this kid a serious shot next year?  He can spin it with the best of em.  Seeing young guns with big arms like Herbert & Allen playing very well, has me intrigued about seeing Eason play.  He may lack their overall mobility but he’s gotta be able to climb the pocket and extend a few plays outside of the pocket more than Rivers.  He needs to be soaking up how Rivers reads defenses and attacks with the quicker throws underneath.  Because I’ve got a feeling he’s not gonna have any problems making the downfield throws.

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Eason has all the talent to become a top QB in the league. Just needs to show he can read and manipulate defenses and play well under pressure. 

Don't you think you can say that about any QB that’s been drafted?

2 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

It’s a shame Eason has never had a chance to progress as a QB over the course of a few seasons at the higher levels.  Play a year. Essentially miss 2 straight years.  Play a year.  Get drafted. Now sit another year.  His stats matched up with Ben’s first 2 years. Ben noticeably took a huge leap after 3 consecutive years of starting in the same program. Eason had respectable numbers for a true freshman starter in the SEC.  Then after the 2 year hiatus, in an all new system at Washington, his numbers match up well with Ben’s...  I think he’d have taken a similar leap to Ben in another year at Washington. 

Maybe we need to give this kid a serious shot next year?  He can spin it with the best of em.  Seeing young guns with big arms like Herbert & Allen playing very well, has me intrigued about seeing Eason play.  He may lack their overall mobility but he’s gotta be able to climb the pocket and extend a few plays outside of the pocket more than Rivers.  He needs to be soaking up how Rivers reads defenses and attacks with the quicker throws underneath.  Because I’ve got a feeling he’s not gonna have any problems making the downfield throws.

Big Ben was 3rd on the Steelers' depth chart his rookie year, but #2 Charlie Batch was hurt in the preseason and the starter Tommy Maddox got hurt in the 3rd Quarter of the 2nd game. The Steelers' original plan was to sit the rookie behind a couple of veteran QBs, exactly what the Colts are doing with Eason.

9 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

For those that don’t think Eason has any mobility watch this. He is pretty athletic. Way more then he showed at WA. Reich actually mentioned this after he was drafted. 

i wonder did he lose that mobility after the injury because he didn't move much behind washington's line 

8 hours ago, JMichael557 said:

I believe that Ben won the superbowl in his rookie year.

A - He won his 2nd year

B - I hate this phrase “Ben won the super bowl”

Ben didn’t win a super bowl, he was gifted a super bowl.  He was 9 for 21, 123 yds, no TD and 2 INT.  Christopher Reeves would’ve won at QB with that team. 

17 minutes ago, SpanosSucks said:

A - He won his 2nd year

Ben didn’t win a super bowl, he was gifted a super bowl.  He was 9 for 21, 123 yds, no TD and 2 INT.  Christopher Reeves would’ve won at QB with that team. 

He was the starting quarterback of a team that won the Superbowl, he gets the credit just as Trent Dilfer did - it's similar to a starting pitcher who gives up 3 home runs but still wins the game due to his offense hitting 4.

6 hours ago, SpanosSucks said:

A - He won his 2nd year

More like Danny Devito. :)

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

i hope eason is great but i dont know until i see him play  losing preseason hurt bad . i hope he is not brock osweiler 2.0 or jay cutler with great arm talent but no motivation to be great.

We'll know alot more in the offseason, especially during the draft if we select another young QB in the early to mid rounds - this is all assuming that we bring Philip back for next year, and watch Jacoby leave with our appreciation and best wishes.

It always amazes me fans willingness to set up their players for failure with such high expectations. I would always refrain from making comparisons of players drafted in R4 who have not yet played a down in the NFL to current or future hall of famers. It's just not a comparison they will usually live up to. Just let him make his own path in the league... To me he didn't look like Ben in college. Style-wise(!!!)he looked more like Joe Flacco type(for the record I do not mean this as an insult, Joe Flacco was a very solid QB in his early years and has had some of the best playoff runs by any QB in the last 10-15 years. )

Eason is like every other Qb I don’t think it’s a qb who gets drafted and doesn’t have talent is gonna come down to system , coaching , oline ,playmakers and his ability to process information fast and making the right decisions under pressure.if he is the Qb of the future is yet to be seen but I don’t want rivers back either way because I don’t want to go 9-7 -and end up with high draft pick and can’t get the guy we need , next year give the young guy a chance or draft one if need be 

On 12/6/2020 at 8:59 AM, coming on strong said:

i hope eason is great but i dont know until i see him play  losing preseason hurt bad . i hope he is not brock osweiler 2.0 or jay cutler with great arm talent but no motivation to be great.

If we can get out of a 4tg round qb what Cutler gave or a Flacco gave, that’s a win. You just don’t give those top 3 contracts if that’s your level. 

by every account I’ve seen on Eason this year, his motivation and effort has not been an issue at all. In fact, I believe he was given really high praise for coming in and staying late and really applying himself. I like the possibility that he gives this team. He is just going to need live reps on this team and he is going to need a very solid LT added with AC closing in on a career. Cant be trying to show what he has with Clark type guys in that spot. 

2 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

I think Eason will be the next Mahomes, just take a look at the stats of their first years in the NFL; they are identical. 

And he is right near where Joe Montana was in his first year so he will likely end up beside Joe in the hall when it’s all done 

could also be a Brett Farve in the making yeah!! 

Archived