Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Sirianni on Quenton Nelson

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If that is true. Then move him to left tackle and draft a guard next year. Oh brother.

If that happened how about this...

LT Q LG Pinter OC Kelly RG Glow RT Smith

We would obviously draft depth beyond that 

2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

If that is true. Then move him to left tackle and draft a guard next year. Oh brother.

Who knows?    Maybe that’s Ballard’s long term plan?  You might just get your wish.   I suppose it’s....   possible. 

When AC calls it a career, we will all find out.

4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who knows?    Maybe that’s Ballard’s long term plan?  You might just get your wish.   I suppose it’s....   possible. 

When AC calls it a career, we will all find out.

That could actually happen, Nelson is a lot like Larry Allen weight wise but Nelson is even taller and Allen played some LT and was great even though his main position was OG.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Q. is a freak athlete.  He likely would do fine anywhere on the line, though I think it's pretty obvious his best position is LG for the long-term.  With AC out, our OL may look better with Q at LT, Clark at LG, Kelly at C, Glow at RG, Smith at RT... but long-term, I think we need to be investing in AC's replacement in this year's draft.  AC is still playing at a high level but had some thoughts about retirement before this year.. he's on for this year and next.  Hopefully he stays healthy, but (IMO) it'd be ideal to pick up a young LT early in the draft, let him sit behind AC for a year and takeover.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

If that happened how about this...

LT Q LG Pinter OC Kelly RG Glow RT Smith

We would obviously draft depth beyond that 

I'd change it to LT Pinter, LG Q., OC Kelly, RG Glow, RT Smith.  Pinter was a TE, T, G throughout his time in college.  The first time he ever played C at any level was last week.  Actually (AC replacement) LT, LG Nelson, C Kelly, RG Smith, RT Pinter would be ideal to me.  I know Glow is only 28, and he has a  high PFF grade but he reminds me of Shipley to some extent (performs to his ceiling, but has a low one).  

Maybe I'm wrong, I probably am.  I know Haeg left to get real playing time.... Pinter reminds me a bit of him, but a stronger/more athletic version.  Both are very cerebral.  I think Q, Kelly, Smith (LG, C, RG) would be the best interior line arguably in league-history.. give Pinter a year (he did well last week at C) and put him at RT and he's very solid.  Get a stud to back up AC and a line with AC, Q, Kelly, Smith, Pinter next year and it is a stud OL.  

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

I'd change it to LT Pinter, LG Q., OC Kelly, RG Glow, RT Smith.  Pinter was a TE, T, G throughout his time in college.  The first time he ever played C at any level was last week.  Actually (AC replacement) LT, LG Nelson, C Kelly, RG Smith, RT Pinter would be ideal to me.  I know Glow is only 28, and he has a  high PFF grade but he reminds me of Shipley to some extent (performs to his ceiling, but has a low one).  

Maybe I'm wrong, I probably am.  I know Haeg left to get real playing time.... Pinter reminds me a bit of him, but a stronger/more athletic version.  Both are very cerebral.  I think Q, Kelly, Smith (LG, C, RG) would be the best interior line arguably in league-history.. give Pinter a year (he did well last week at C) and put him at RT and he's very solid.  Get a stud to back up AC and a line with AC, Q, Kelly, Smith, Pinter next year and it is a stud OL.  

I would like to see what Pinter brings to the table, he is big and strong. Clark is just bad IMO.

3 hours ago, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

It would be nice if Q just returned to last years form at LG. That would help our run game.

I think he's battling injury issues?

He's still playing at a high level, but I agree he seems like he's not his normal self (which involves playing at an elite level and the best in the NFL at his position).  I think he had some sort of back issue in training camp and he missed several days of practice with back/ankle injuries last week.  https://www.colts.com/news/philip-rivers-bobby-okereke-injury-report-tennessee-titans-week-12

The OL as a whole seems a bit different this year.  They're doing a good job keeping Rivers upright, as evidenced by him being least sacked QB in the NFL.  They just don't seem as dominant against the run.  Not sure if it's a minor scheme change, an OL coach change, predictable play calling or due to Mack going down early (Taylor seemed like he was finding his groove before going on the CoVID list, but didn't seem to be reading things properly at a very consistent level prior).  My guess is, a combination of all the above plus a weird offseason and minor or major injuries across the line.  The OL who has missed the most time is AC, followed by Kelly - so specific to Q, it should be somewhat expected that his play falls off slightly when he loses the pro-bowlers on either side of him.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Q. is a freak athlete.  He likely would do fine anywhere on the line, though I think it's pretty obvious his best position is LG for the long-term.  With AC out, our OL may look better with Q at LT, Clark at LG, Kelly at C, Glow at RG, Smith at RT... but long-term, I think we need to be investing in AC's replacement in this year's draft.  AC is still playing at a high level but had some thoughts about retirement before this year.. he's on for this year and next.  Hopefully he stays healthy, but (IMO) it'd be ideal to pick up a young LT early in the draft, let him sit behind AC for a year and takeover.

U r assuming Castanzo is back. The injury maybe enuff to make him retire

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Maybe but I highly doubt it.  He went through a long thought process between retiring or resigning before he signed a 2 year deal.  It's a sprain which won't require surgery or any major rehab.  My guess is he's back in the lineup by the end of this year and will be back next year as well.

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Have no idea why you're in such a negative mood?   AC's injury is a week to week variety.   It's not a season ender.

Why would an injury like that cause a veteran player to retire.   Especially a guy still playing at a high level and has a big contract waiting for him next year?

On 12/5/2020 at 12:58 AM, CurBeatElite said:

Smith has shown to be a very solid RT. I would say Pinter could be RG and keep Smith outside. Just my opinion though.