Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

18 to 88 details Mondays workout some good & some bad

bayone

I swear we need to get rid of donald brown now he's dead weight to the running game and sometimes idk what he be doing but he needs to block better

THIS AGAIN!?!

He was a rookie then. He made a mistake and Manning won't have mistakes. Donald isn't the only person that Manning has berated. This is no more proof that Donald is inept then it is proof of little green men from Mars.

Dont believe Donald is that bad of a runner. That clip was from his rookie year. Im sure even Marshall Faulk had those kind of mistakes his rookie year. We need a runnner who puts their head down and runs the ball all out. No offense to Joseph Addai, but sometimes I think he is to busy auditioning for Dancing with the Stars instead of running the football.

No offense to Joseph Addai, but sometimes I think he is to busy auditioning for Dancing with the Stars instead of running the football.

JA's biggest runs come on the heals of frantic lateral movement. To ask him to change that or to try and coach it out of him would be akin to asking Barry Sanders to run straight and cease with the jitters. Addai has proven to me that when provided with a lane, he can turn those lateral steps into first downs with great ease.

This report from Nate wasnt a good one, sounds like he was lazy on his part lol. Donald is one of the best RUNNING backs the colts have, saying that i dont think think this guy is fully healthy either that or the team has other ideas for him.

I swear we need to get rid of donald brown now he's dead weight to the running game and sometimes idk what he be doing but he needs to block better

You are not exactly coming up with the freshest of thread ideas. This is almost 2 freaking years old.

Hey, here is a thread topic for you. Why don't you do something on Manning's competitive side and find video from the 2005 Rams Monday nigth game to show proof of said competitiveness.

Joseph Addai is no Barry Sanders. We are worst in the league in rushing. Not trying to be mean,but when was the last time

Addai had a "big run?" We cant even average 100 yards a game rushing. I know part of that is because of our O line, but the backs need to take their responsibility too. I am not saying Addai or any back should not adapt and make cuts, but also there is a time to put your head down and run.

Joseph Addai is no Barry Sanders. We are worst in the league in rushing. Not trying to be mean,but when was the last time

Addai had a "big run?" We cant even average 100 yards a game rushing. I know part of that is because of our O line, but the backs need to take their responsibility too. I am not saying Addai or any back should not adapt and make cuts, but also there is a time to put your head down and run.

Well, of course there is only one Barry, and that will likely remain true for many more years to come. However, the two share like qualities. I have felt this way for many years. I remember the only other mention of this comparison I've heard was in that classic undefeated battle between the Colts and the Pats just past the mid-season mark (2008?), just after Addai's 70+ yard TD run, Dierdorf hesitated, stammered a bit but uttered the comparison to Sanders. He was of course remarking about Addai's lateral movement and sudden burst from sideways to forward. The big difference is that Barry knew when to hit the hole hard. As well, Sanders was a bigger, more stout, runner with unparalleled vision.

If I remember that game correctly and more specifically that play Addai scored and ran 70 plus yards because he caught a pass from Manning. Addai ran wheel route I think. He didnt score by running the football from the line of scrimmage. I like Addai Im not trying to say he is not a good runner, but at times I wish he would just put his head down.

Again my 2 cents here,

1. Last year even MANNING had trouble because of the Colts O line play for awhile, so if they couldn't pass block why would u assume they run blocked any better

2. With one being said COULD the colts problem be simular to what the Patriots had when we had "run around the backfield" Maroney? I ask because when our 2 Undrafted FA played our running game drastically improved.

3. How is Collie looking?

Well, of course there is only one Barry, and that will likely remain true for many more years to come. However, the two share like qualities. I have felt this way for many years. I remember the only other mention of this comparison I've heard was in that classic undefeated battle between the Colts and the Pats just past the mid-season mark (2008?), just after Addai's 70+ yard TD run, Dierdorf hesitated, stammered a bit but uttered the comparison to Sanders. He was of course remarking about Addai's lateral movement and sudden burst from sideways to forward. The big difference is that Barry knew when to hit the hole hard. As well, Sanders was a bigger, more stout, runner with unparalleled vision.

If by "bigger, more stout runner" you mean, smaller and more elusive than I totally agree. Barry is 5'8" and played at 200 lbs. Joe is 5'11" and plays at 215 according to ESPN.

The problem with the comparison is that there is no comparison. Addai is the best RB the Colts have. Barry is one of the best, if not the best, running back that the entirety of the NFL has ever seen. It will never be in our offensive makeup to be a true power running team, merely being effective on the ground will be enough.

Again my 2 cents here,

1. Last year even MANNING had trouble because of the Colts O line play for awhile, so if they couldn't pass block why would u assume they run blocked any better

2. With one being said COULD the colts problem be simular to what the Patriots had when we had "run around the backfield" Maroney? I ask because when our 2 Undrafted FA played our running game drastically improved.

3. How is Collie looking?

I think the problem is that Joe was being asked to make the majority of his cuts in the backfield rather than past the line of scrimmage. When you are getting pressure at the time of the ball exchange it makes it difficult to much if anything. I trust that if the line can return to form, Joe can also. Maroney never did anything for the Pats, even the last SB run with all the crazy fire power. Joe had two seasons of 1000+ yards to start his career.

If by "bigger, more stout runner" you mean, smaller and more elusive than I totally agree. Barry is 5'8" and played at 200 lbs. Joe is 5'11" and plays at 215 according to ESPN.

The problem with the comparison is that there is no comparison. Addai is the best RB the Colts have. Barry is one of the best, if not the best, running back that the entirety of the NFL has ever seen. It will never be in our offensive makeup to be a true power running team, merely being effective on the ground will be enough.

"bigger, more stout runner".......Barry ran big. He would lower the shoulder and wallop a defender. I was referring to his running style, not his physical measurements. I understand the misunderstanding. I should've phrased it differently.

gonzo4gonzo, on 09 August 2011 - 08:46 AM, said:

No offense to Joseph Addai, but sometimes I think he is to busy auditioning for Dancing with the Stars instead of running the football.

JA's biggest runs come on the heals of frantic lateral movement. To ask him to change that or to try and coach it out of him would be akin to asking Barry Sanders to run straight and cease with the jitters. Addai has proven to me that when provided with a lane, he can turn those lateral steps into first downs with great ease.

Know what u r saying about what looks like a waste, & I remember him in front of Ray Lewis at goal line, did that stupid move & BYPASSED HIM FOR A GREAT TD when Ray had him Dead in his sights

gonzo4gonzo, on 09 August 2011 - 08:46 AM, said:

Know what u r saying about what looks like a waste, & I remember him in front of Ray Lewis at goal line, did that stupid move & BYPASSED HIM FOR A GREAT TD when Ray had him Dead in his sights

I remember that. One of the all time greatest whiffs.

THIS AGAIN!?!

He was a rookie then. He made a mistake and Manning won't have mistakes. Donald isn't the only person that Manning has berated. This is no more proof that Donald is inept then it is proof of little green men from Mars.

let me put this to rest because idk why ya'll think brown is good when he's not....dude is mad slow hitting the hole at best he's a 3rd down back for short yardage gain and even then he still struggles to get those yards smh watching peyton dump it off to brown is horrible to watch he act like he doesnt know what to do he is not our best rb and far from it anyway he needs to be cut

In that video clip Donald was suppose to follow the left guard out for a pass from Manning. It was a touchdown if Donald ran the play right. That shows me that is why they let Charlie hit free agency though. He had a chance to block the DE one on one. That was a 3 man rush from the defense, so it would've been a great play for Donald to follow the Left guard for a touchdown. It's Donald's 3rd season so we'll see what he can do here soon!

Addai played statistically great over the eight games he played.

Joe only played 8 games last season, which makes it convenient to just double his stats and get a rough idea of what a 16 season would of produced in his stats:

Rushing

232 Attempts, 990 Yards, 8 TDs (4.3 yds/rush, longest run was 46 yards)

Receiving

38 Receptions, 248 Yards, 0 TDs (6.5 yds/catch, longest catch was 16 yards)

Tell me how that would of been a bad season, especially with the awful offensive line we had last season.

Compare that to cedric benson, who rushed 321 times at 3.5 yards per rush for 1111 yards.

Addai's YPR over 321 carries would be 1380 yards with 11 TDs. That would be the third highest yards total out of all rushers last season, behind Arian Foster and Jamaal Charles.

Now I know that this isn't exactly what would've happened, but it's all we have to go by.

In that video clip Donald was suppose to follow the left guard out for a pass from Manning. It was a touchdown if Donald ran the play right. That shows me that is why they let Charlie hit free agency though. He had a chance to block the DE one on one. That was a 3 man rush from the defense, so it would've been a great play for Donald to follow the Left guard for a touchdown. It's Donald's 3rd season so we'll see what he can do here soon!

I'm not basing everything he does on that video I just showed that to be funny but if brown doesnt improve this season he needs to be gone