Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers requires surgery on his foot (Merged)

zibby43

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Shive changed the title to Rivers’ foot injury worse than indicated (MERGE)

This is a "no news" item to those of us who have watched Philip his whole career. Rarely do any of his injuries even get publicized (yes, I know, "but that's against league rules", ooooooooo - so what?). But when he has had an injury actually publicized, it was always discovered after the season that it was much worse than indicated during the season. And he's always found ways to play with them (plus who knows how many that have never been publicized over the years). He just doesn't believe in excuses, or blaming anyone/anything other than himself.

Come Sunday in Houston, he'll be on the field. You can bank on that.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Rivers is a tough cookie he will play through it.

Sure he will - that doesn't mean it won't impact our offense.  Our margin for error is not huge and anything that can limit River's effectiveness is a concern.

Just now, gspdx said:

Sure he will - that doesn't mean it won't impact our offense.  Our margin for error is not huge and anything that can limit River's effectiveness is a concern.

Okay then so panic.  There is nothing that can be done about it unless you want Jacoby to start.  

13 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

Rarely do any of his injuries even get publicized (yes, I know, "but that's against league rules"

i dont think they have to if he is expected to play.  i believe they only need to if they think there is a reasonable chance he might miss a game, then they go with the probable, doubtful or out status 

12 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Okay then so panic.  There is nothing that can be done about it unless you want Jacoby to start.  

I didn't say I am in a panic, did I?  Why did you jump to that?  I said if it limits his effectiveness it's a concern.  Is that panic?  

9 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

I really don't get people who want 7 back there, he's just not good. Rivers will play, banged up Rivers is way better than Jacoby or Eason, live with that and move on.

Rivers is old, and cannot move. 10-6, loss in the wild card. Come back and see me when it happens, we can talk more. 

1 minute ago, AustinnKaine said:

Rivers is old, and cannot move. 10-6, loss in the wild card. Come back and see me when it happens, we can talk more. 

Agree with you. Do not believe he's the guy, he's just the better QB on the roster right now, and by a large margin.

We can all hope on the offseason, but today we cheer for Rivers, best we can do.

Number 7 would play 2 good games and gone because he's not starter material, 9-7 out of playoffs. I choose play one game january. 

57 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Rivers is a tough cookie he will play through it.

Yes, he will.

But will he still be as effective?    Or will it impact his ability to perform at a high level?

We won't really know until we see him out there....     Yikes!      :peek:

26 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

I really don't get people who want 7 back there, he's just not good. Rivers will play, banged up Rivers is way better than Jacoby or Eason, live with that and move on.

We don't  know if he is better than Eason as Eason has not been  given a shot yet

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, he will.

But will he still be as effective?    Or will it impact his ability to perform at a high level?

Be careful - you might get accused of being in a panic!

14 minutes ago, Stephen said:

We don't  know if he is better than Eason as Eason has not been  given a shot yet

That's only true if you don't trust the judgement of the coaching staff.    We haven't seen Eason play yet.   But the staff has seen him in practice and meeting rooms.     If you trust them,  then there's no need to wonder if Eason is better than Rivers.  

But if you don't trust their judgement,  then go ahead and wonder....

47 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

This outcome would likely result in Rivers being invited back next season, and accepting.

45 minutes ago, DiogoSales said:

Agree with you. Do not believe he's the guy, he's just the better QB on the roster right now, and by a large margin.

We can all hope on the offseason, but today we cheer for Rivers, best we can do.

Number 7 would play 2 good games and gone because he's not starter material, 9-7 out of playoffs. I choose play one game january. 

Totally agree!

1 hour ago, stitches said:

With the Colts you can automatically assume any injury is more serious than is presented and/or it will worsen before it gets better. 

This is especially true with QB's.  Colt's always seem to understate QB injuries.

Peyton was always a few weeks away from playing with his neck injury... Ended on IR  Luck's lacerated Kidney was suppose to only keep him out like 3 or 4 weeks...  Ended on IR  Luck's was going to be ready for the season at some point after his shoulder surgery.  Ended on IR . .  Luck's calf strain was just a minor thing in OTA's that was going to be taken care of with a little rest... Luck retired from football

My only question is will Rivers playing through it (because I think we can all agree the guy is tough) make it worse?

Because we will need him come playoff time and it would be better to let Jacoby play one game and let him heal then let it get progressively worse to the point it significantly affects his play in the post season.

5 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

My only question is will Rivers playing through it (because I think we can all agree the guy is tough) make it worse?

Because we will need him come playoff time and it would be better to let Jacoby play one game and let him heal then let it get progressively worse to the point it significantly affects his play in the post season.

Taking 1 (or even 2) weeks off probably won't make much of a difference - as long as he doesn't aggravate it to the point that it forces him to the sidelines, it's probably better if he just soldiers on through, especially with these next few games being critical to our postseason chances.

7 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

God knowing the Colts his foot could be fractured in 12 different places and bones could be sticking out of his feet and they will be like "Not big deal".

To be fair he did play against the Titans.  But when it comes to QB injuries there is no reason to trust what the team says. 

59 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes, he will.

We saw him last week with the same injury and when not under pressure he was fine.

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

Or start Eason

The coaches don’t think he’s ready enough to dress.  He’s not starting.  Like it or not Jacoby is the back up.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

We saw him last week with the same injury and when not under pressure he was fine.

The coaches don’t think he’s ready enough to dress.  He’s not starting.  Like it or not Jacoby is the back up.

Understood and thanks.

But I'd submit that just because Rivers was OK last week,  with any injury like this,  there's no way to know how good or bad he's going to be week to week.    Some weeks the pain may be lighter and Rivers might play better.   Some weeks the pain might be worse,  and Rivers' play level might fall off.     I'm not predicting anything.   I'm only saying Q's comment makes me think anything is possible.  

10 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Makes you wonder about how bad Costanzos injury is. 

IMO the hope is probably that he's ready for the playoffs... if we get to the playoffs without him. Officially he's week-to-week. Depending on the severity of the sprain, MCL injuries usually take between 2 and 4 weeks so... yeah... Maybe we get him back for the last game or two... or maybe we save him for the playoffs. I don't know... that's a total guess on my part. No expertise and no internal knowledge here. 

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Understood and thanks.

But I'd submit that just because Rivers was OK last week,  with any injury like this,  there's no way to know how good or bad he's going to be week to week.    Some weeks the pain may be lighter and Rivers might play better.   Some weeks the pain might be worse,  and Rivers' play level might fall off.     I'm not predicting anything.   I'm only saying Q's comment makes me think anything is possible.  

Well one would assume if he could play last week he’s going to be able to play this week and it’s probably healed at least a little bit.  Is he going to be 100%?  No.  Is he still going to be good enough to play and still the best QB available to the Colts on the roster?  Yes.  That’s all I am saying.  He played through it once already so unless he injuries it more I don’t think it’s something we need to freak out about is all, not that you were freaking out.

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Well one would assume if he could play last week he’s going to be able to play this week and it’s probably healed at least a little bit.  Is he going to be 100%?  No.  Is he still going to be good enough to play and still the best QB available to the Colts on the roster?  Yes.  That’s all I am saying.  He played through it once already so unless he injuries it more I don’t think it’s something we need to freak out about is all, not that you were freaking out.

Yes, I mostly agree here.    I think Rivers will play EVERY week.   And you have to respect a guy whose playing with pain like this.    I'm only saying his QUALITY of play may be uneven based on his pain tolerance.   That's all I'm trying to say.

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

Obviously this is "hurt" in the term that he is not ready to go. I think it would be a great disservice to pretend that there is not a quarterback dilemna at play with the Colts.

Don't make it too personal. It's a game, and obviously I don't wish ill upon others. However, with that said; Brissett has the better arm. Brissett is more athletic. I want him to play.

With all of that being said, I also know that they will play 17 until the last snap if he is ready to go...

So yeah, maybe not "classy" but there have been a lot of things considered "classy" that ended up being disgusting. Take what you want, as you will. 

Brissett 2019 QBR: 52.1

Rivers 2020 QBR: 62.5 (Lamar Jackson is 61.8)

Brissett 2019 YPA: 6.6 (29th in league)

Rivers 2020 YPA: 7.6 (11th in league)

Brissett 2019 completion %: 60.9

Rivers 2020 completion %: 67.3

You may have a preference for Jacoby for whatever reason, but he is a worse QB than Rivers (by a Grand Canyon-sized margin) in every measurable capacity (except maybe rushing yards, but who cares).

1 minute ago, zibby43 said:

Brissett 2019 QBR: 52.1

Rivers 2020 QBR: 62.5 (Lamar Jackson is 61.8)

Brissett 2019 YPA: 6.6 (29th in league)

Rivers 2020 YPA: 7.6 (11th in league)

You may have a preference for Jacoby for whatever reason, but he is a worse QB than Rivers (by a Grand Canyon-sized margin) in every measurable capacity (except maybe rushing yards, but who cares).

I think Jacoby is gonna surprise a lot of people. Even if it isn't with the Colts.

3 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

I think Jacoby is gonna surprise a lot of people. Even if it isn't with the Colts.

He had nearly 2 full seasons.  He regressed the more time he got.

He’s a great backup/spot starter and a 10/10 leader/teammate though.  He’s just not a starter in the NFL.

When Peyton had his issues in 2015 with his foot, Kubiak benched him and went with Osweiler because Peyton was hurting the team at that point. This is a HOF QB we are talking about who had earned a LOT of rope. Once Peyton had minor surgery and was back and active and ready to go, that is when Kubiak put him back, and Peyton at least steadied the Broncos ship during the playoffs. 

Unless it gets to a point where Rivers' play hurts the Colts like with Peyton where he threw 3 or 4 picks in 1 game within 2 quarters while the Broncos played the Chiefs, Rivers is our starter.

Archived