Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign P Ryan Allen to the PS

Dogg63

Per colts.com:

Allen, 6-2, 220 pounds, has played in 105 career games in his time with the Tennessee Titans (2020), Atlanta Falcons (2019) and New England Patriots (2013-18). He has totaled 445 punts for 20,102 yards (45.2 avg./40.0 net avg.) with 167 pinned inside the 20-yard line. Allen has appeared in 16 postseason contests and has compiled 58 punts for 2,487 yards (42.9 avg./38.9 net avg.) with 25 pinned inside the 20-yard line. He was originally signed by the Patriots as an undrafted free agent on May 3, 2013.

In 2020, Allen has spent time on the Titans' active roster and practice squad. He played in one game and registered eight punts for 404 yards (50.5 avg./40.0 net avg.).

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Now watch him get claimed off our practice squad by the Texans before Sunday. That would be a cruel joke! :Cry:

If he's just been added today, would he even be eligible to play Sunday? If so, I would expect him to be added to the 53 man roster NLT tomorrow.

1 minute ago, Lancer1 said:

If he's just been added today, would he even be eligible to play Sunday? If so, I would expect him to be added to the 53 man roster NLT tomorrow.

I'm not sure. I'm just joking around. Personally, if I were the Colts, I'd add him to the 53 instead of having Blankenship do Punt duties as well. 

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not sure. I'm just joking around. Personally, if I were the Colts, I'd add him to the 53 instead of having Blankenship do Punt duties as well. 

If Allen is eligible, it would be a good idea as Rigo also helped lighten Blankenship's load on kickoffs and you wouldn't want to go into a game with just 1 kicker/punter in case that guy got hurt. 

You may have been joking about the Texans claiming Allen but seeings how we're about to play them twice in the next few weeks, I could imagine them trying to hit us in a perceived area of weakness, if only for this weekend's game. 

27 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

He probably already cleared covid protocols before signing him. They must not expect Sanchez to miss three games because this allows them to use a covid call up to the 53 without putting Sanchez on IR. This way no one on the 53 has to be cut.

45 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

You may have been joking about the Texans claiming Allen but seeings how we're about to play them twice in the next few weeks, I could imagine them trying to hit us in a perceived area of weakness, if only for this weekend's game. 

If they want to hit this team in a weak area, maybe they will try and steal Clark at LT. I mean, I’d offer him up to see lol. I can’t imagine Clark being capable of landing a job on any other NFL roster at this point, he is proven to be that bad. 

19 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

If they want to hit this team in a weak area, maybe they will try and steal Clark at LT. I mean, I’d offer him up to see lol. I can’t imagine Clark being capable of landing a job on any other NFL roster at this point, he is proven to be that bad. 

Allen is on the PS and can be signed to the active roster of another team (provided he's not a protected player). Clark is on the active roster and since we're past the trade deadline, he's not going anywhere unless cut.

Your post seemed a bit tongue-in-cheek, but felt I still needed to point out that that can't happen.

2 hours ago, Shive said:

Allen is on the PS and can be signed to the active roster of another team (provided he's not a protected player). Clark is on the active roster and since we're past the trade deadline, he's not going anywhere unless cut.

Your post seemed a bit tongue-in-cheek, but felt I still needed to point out that that can't happen.

Very much tongue in cheek. I am aware of the restrictions to trade him now at this point. 

16 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Was he the dude that shanked that punt in the first game against the Titans?  

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No

The guy who shanked the punt (and had another blocked for a touchdown) was Trevor Daniel. Allen was their punter before him, taking over when regular punter Brett Kern was hurt. Allen played 1 game for Tennessee, a Week 9 victory against Chicago in which he averaged 50.5 yards per punt on 8 punts with a long of 65 yards but the Titans inexplicably replaced him with Daniel for their Thursday night matchup against us, and we all saw the corresponding results.

Kern is back as their punter now.

11 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

So they don’t expect Sanchez to miss much time. They will call him up for just one game and he will go back to the PS. Can they still protect a player on the PS.

Basically the math would mean they think he will miss two games. Otherwise he would have been put on the IR for 3 games, and Allen can only be called up for 2 games from PS without being added to active roster

11 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Now watch him get claimed off our practice squad by the Texans before Sunday. That would be a cruel joke! :Cry:

cant do that, there is a rule against signing a practice squad player from upcoming opponents 

Archived