Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If the season ended today... (merge)

Shadow_Creek

Most teams haven't been ready to challenge KC.   They are 10-1 for a reason.  

I take a more positive look at this.  At this moment we are in the playoffs.  

Tied with Miami is the 6th seed and they still face:

Bengals

Chiefs

Pats

Raiders

Bills

The Browns face:

Titans

Ravens

Giants

Jets

Steelers

I think the 6th seed is the ceiling for this team.   Chance to go higher if we win more than 3 of the last 5.  

We are better than Miami and Oakland I think when healthy. We should snag a wildcard spot. Division is not out of the question, Titans seem kind of inconsistent like us. I dont see us going far in the playoffs. Need a young quarterback who can make plays when the protection breaks down, better offensive weapons and Oline depth.

After yesterday's game, the season may have ended today.

Seriously though, when AC is out we're a difference (bad) offense.  And the D obviously lives and dies on DB availability.

Except for QB, it's not a good thing when there are single points of failure on each side of the ball.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

yeah the 7th seed wont be much better than missing the playoffs imo.  that will just be a road date with the chiefs or steelers 

I'd gladly take that chance, anything can happen in the playoffs like the time Denver's Tim Tebow beat Pittsburgh with an 80 yard touchdown pass on the 1st play of overtime.

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

After yesterday's game, the season may have ended today.

Seriously though, when AC is out we're a difference (bad) offense.  And the D obviously lives and dies on DB availability.

Except for QB, it's not a good thing when there are single points of failure on each side of the ball.

You could say the same for the Titans if they lost Henry. 

34 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

You could say the same for the Titans if they lost Henry. 

with respect, I couldn’t disagree more.  The loss of AC or Buckner changed the O and D. 

The Titans are built around Henry but would be fine with Foreman. 

Having to travel to cold * BUF or (even worse) to KC on WC weekend...is not ideal. Unfortunately, the game yesterday was huge in that regard. Lots of football left...but with the way tiebreakers look...the Colts could be looking at one of those two games. 

IF they can't retake the AFCS...I am rooting for those other WC teams to lose...to set up a win-or-go-home, best of 3 matchup with TEN. That would be fun.

11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not even mad at this loss Sunday. It wasn'tthe Colts fault really. Buckner, Autry, and Okereke out on defense. Kelly out and Constanzo out for half the game. Not sure what we could do honestly. Shows the importance of the trenches that Ballard was preaching about.

It does...but perhaps it also shows the lack of depth. Obviously...you can't expect the Colts to have a Buckner-level player to take over for Buckner...but you have to be able to overcome some injuries...or at least not get crushed.

And it's not like TEN wasn't banged-up...no LT, no Clowney, no starting MLB, no slot WR, not CB1. It was fairly even in regard to the injuries.

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

It does...but perhaps it also shows the lack of depth. Obviously...you can't expect the Colts to have a Buckner-level player to take over for Buckner...but you have to be able to overcome some injuries...or at least not get crushed.

And it's not like TEN wasn't banged-up...no LT, no Clowney, no starting MLB, no slot WR, not CB1. It was fairly even in regard to the injuries.

I'm not sure about that.  Buckner, Autry, and Okereke are 3 players key in stopping the run.  Grover didn't step up.   The LT and center are 2 very important positions on most teams.   Could have used Taylor as well.   But you are correct that all teams have to deal with this stuff.  We don't have anyone to replace Buckner yet.  

Just now, Myles said:

I'm not sure about that.  Buckner, Autry, and Okereke are 3 players key in stopping the run.  Grover didn't step up.   The LT and center are 2 very important positions on most teams.   Could have used Taylor as well.   But you are correct that all teams have to deal with this stuff.  We don't have anyone to replace Buckner yet.  

TEN was down their starting Clowney (PFF grade 74.9 and has played 54% of their snaps)...and Jayon Brown (PFF grade 65.7 and has played 84% of their snaps). They were missing their Pro Bowl LT...as well as their reliable slot WR.

Compare that to losing Autry (PFF grade 55.2 and has played 56% of snaps) and Okereke (40.5 PFF grade and has played 73% of snaps)...and losing Kelly and AC (for most of the game)...and having Taylor out.

Buckner is definitely the best player that was out for both teams...and it put the Colts at a disadvantage. But like you said...injuries happen...and that wouldn't/shouldn't explain how badly they got beat in this game.

12 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

TEN was down their starting Clowney (PFF grade 74.9 and has played 54% of their snaps)...and Jayon Brown (PFF grade 65.7 and has played 84% of their snaps). They were missing their Pro Bowl LT...as well as their reliable slot WR.

Compare that to losing Autry (PFF grade 55.2 and has played 56% of snaps) and Okereke (40.5 PFF grade and has played 73% of snaps)...and losing Kelly and AC (for most of the game)...and having Taylor out.

Buckner is definitely the best player that was out for both teams...and it put the Colts at a disadvantage. But like you said...injuries happen...and that wouldn't/shouldn't explain how badly they got beat in this game.

Buckner got Covid though. Technically not an injury but an illness. Honestly something that's causing a lot of players to be out when they shouldn't. So it's really frustrating from a fans and team perspective because it adds extra players that are out when they normally wouldn't be.

27 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

there are 7 seeds now in the playoffs?   i thought 4 division winners and two wildcard making 6 seeds

Not only are there 7 seeds now, (there have been all season) there is a possibility of an 8th if the NFL has to add a week to the season for some reason.

4 hours ago, shasta519 said:

Titans played better  without  their starters 

6 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'm not even mad at this loss Sunday. It wasn'tthe Colts fault really. Buckner, Autry, and Okereke out on defense. Kelly out and Constanzo out for half the game. Not sure what we could do honestly. Shows the importance of the trenches that Ballard was preaching about.

i hate using injuries as a excuse titans had more injuries i get buckner is a monster but the titans have multiple pro bowlers out also and more injuries .  lewis is way to small to play inside , at 277 he is the smallest defensive tackle .   colts need to bring day back to go behind buckner and move lewis to the outside to back up autry

2 hours ago, coming on strong said:

i hate using injuries as a excuse titans had more injuries i get buckner is a monster but the titans have multiple pro bowlers out also and more injuries .  lewis is way to small to play inside , at 277 he is the smallest defensive tackle .   colts need to bring day back to go behind buckner and move lewis to the outside to back up autry

Might as well give Windsor a chance at DT. Day has been injured and a career backup, we are hardly losing out with him being waived.

18 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Agreed. Honestly we have been lucky most of the year with healthy and very little covid impact. Other teams have had it worse. I would have loved a win in such an important game, but 2-1 over that stretch was something I already would have seen as optimistic. We can still win the division and a playoff spot is certainly reasonable if we can get healthy again.

On 11/30/2020 at 1:03 PM, Lancer1 said:

I'd gladly take that chance, anything can happen in the playoffs like the time Denver's Tim Tebow beat Pittsburgh with an 80 yard touchdown pass on the 1st play of overtime.

i dont see it with this team.  the 7th seed is going on the road to play the chiefs and steelers back to back.  some team at some point has won in that situation, i doubt its us this year

Lol well isnt it a good thing the season isn't ending today? 

If the Colts beat the titans you guys would be saying the opposite. 

Let's get some guys back, take care of the Texans, and enjoy the ride. The Titans can easily drop a few games before the season ends. 

Just because they beat a team decimated by injuries or covid doesn't make me think the Titans are the %, and the Colts are not. 

Im ready for the Texans.  

The Colts are likely vying for the 6th or 7th WC spot. CLE is up one game and has the tiebreaker. They do have BAL, PIT and TEN left. They would have to lose all 3...while the Colts go 4-1. Possible...but it's a lot to ask.

Assuming that doesn't happen...it is between MIA, BAL and IND for the last two spots...and who will play KC or one of the BUF/TEN.

BAL has a very easy schedule after this PIT game...with only CLE left as a true threat. So even if they lose to PIT...they will have a very strong shot at finishing 11-5 or 10-6 (with a loss to CLE). They have the tiebreaker vs the Colts...meaning the Colts have to pace a game ahead...so basically they have to go 4-1.

MIA also has the tiebreaker...but they have KC, BUF, NE and LV left...and the same number of losses. Should be able to stay one game up on them.

Seems like the most likely scenario is CLE, BAL and then IND to round out the WC teams...which would mean a road trip to KC.

the 7th seed is kind of weird, id be pretty surprised if they have much success in the playoffs going forward.  they will always draw the 2 seed on the road and if they somehow win that they get the 1 seed again on the road coming off a bye.  6 would be a lot better

4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the 7th seed is kind of weird, id be pretty surprised if they have much success in the playoffs going forward.  they will always draw the 2 seed on the road and if they somehow win that they get the 1 seed again on the road coming off a bye.  6 would be a lot better

Is the 7th spot only for this year or is that a permanent thing?

Providing the Colts beat the Texans, should we favor the Browns or Titans in week 13? I'm confused as to what would help the Colts the most at this point. I'm thinking Browns, because then we'd  be tied with Tennessee for first with their loss. Is that accurate? 

5 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

Providing the Colts beat the Texans, should we favor the Browns or Titans in week 13? I'm confused as to what would help the Colts the most at this point. I'm thinking Browns, because then we'd  be tied with Tennessee for first with their loss. Is that accurate? 

We are 1-1 with the Titans. Like Magic Johnson said after a lop sided loss to the Bulls, whether you lose by 2 or lose by 20, it still counts as 1 loss. Since we lose the tie-breaker to the Browns anyways, I'd be rooting for the Browns.

34 minutes ago, teganslaw said:

winning the division is a lot better than getting the last wild card, ill be rooting for the browns 

5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

winning the division is a lot better than getting the last wild card, ill be rooting for the browns 

I think the browns are going to get a WC so yeah I think we need to root for the Browns. They get Garrett back off the covid list. The Steelers look pathetic against the ravens this afternoon. The ravens are hanging in their playing good defense.

We’d be facing KC and it would be a tough game, but any given Sunday. I still believe in this team, I think Sunday was due to injuries and not being prepared defensively. If we can get everyone but Castonzo back and come out of the gates swinging on D, we stand a chance against anybody, even a small chance

Archived