Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Turay

Shadow_Creek

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

I think strong side DE plays more snaps for us than weak side DE with more run stopping responsibilities like Sheard and Houston. I am not sure if that is a systematic conscious approach or something that happened by chance. In other words, they want a few jacks who do only 1 trade on a rotational basis instead of 1 jack that does several trades for the weak side DE position. However the hit percentage seems to be low so far with several dart opportunities at the draft board.

That approach only works if those jacks do jack but if they don't do jack, who the jack is won't matter. :) 

Well, part of the issue is the rotational approach to begin with, IMO.  With playoff caliber coaches, QBs, and personnel; I'd think that once the saw the guy who was only good at one thing, they would audible into doing the other.  

So if the light guy Lewis is playing 3T a lot, TEN is going to feed Henry until the 3T stops getting washed out.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, part of the issue is the rotational approach to begin with, IMO.  With playoff caliber coaches, QBs, and personnel; I'd think that once the saw the guy who was only good at one thing, they would audible into doing the other.  

So if the light guy Lewis is playing 3T a lot, TEN is going to feed Henry until the 3T stops getting washed out.

One thing I noticed is we do not have enough nose tackles on our squad. It is difficult to have too many of them because of special teams reasons but TN is not the type of team to run no huddle. So we should have elevated more NTs to the roster to do jumbo formations. While our pass rush might suffer on early downs, TN not being a no huddle team would allow us to substitute the lighter guys on obvious passing downs, IMO.

It would be like the Colts in 2009 using 2 NTs that offered little pass rush in Antonio Johnson and Daniel Muir, if I am not mistaken, who had a total of 1.5 sacks between them for the year. It was very very hard for teams to run on us but if they chose to pass on early downs by doubling Mathis and Freeney, their passing lanes were rarely disrupted. So Brady in that 4th & 2 game and Brees in the SB passed on us at will, IMO. Different strokes for different folks, we should have elevated some more bigger bodies vs the Titans, IMO. I looked at our practice squad and we don't have that many NT bodies to be honest.

11 minutes ago, chad72 said:

One thing I noticed is we do not have enough nose tackles on our squad. It is difficult to have too many of them because of special teams reasons but TN is not the type of team to run no huddle. So we should have elevated more NTs to the roster to do jumbo formations. While our pass rush might suffer on early downs, TN not being a no huddle team would allow us to substitute the lighter guys on obvious passing downs, IMO.

It would be like the Colts in 2009 using 2 NTs that offered little pass rush in Antonio Johnson and Daniel Muir, if I am not mistaken, who had a total of 1.5 sacks between them for the year. It was very very hard for teams to run on us but if they chose to pass on early downs by doubling Mathis and Freeney, their passing lanes were rarely disrupted. So Brady in that 4th & 2 game and Brees in the SB passed on us at will, IMO. Different strokes for different folks, we should have elevated some more bigger bodies vs the Titans, IMO. I looked at our practice squad and we don't have that many NT bodies to be honest.

That's good insight.  For example, BB had his roster prepared to be able to attack teams at their weaknesses.  Different teams would come in with different attributes, and NE would play differently to counter their strengths, but he had the variety of personnel to do it.  Or maybe more players with better versatility.  

Maybe we have to hold a couple of spots to see if one of the dart board guys will stick.  Move before that's fleshed out, and we cut the wrong guy.

On 12/3/2020 at 7:56 AM, coming on strong said:

The problem is colts have zero depth it’s Lewis and Buckner . They cut day and don’t trust the practice squad players they brought up yet.   I saw them putting stallworth and Grover on the field together last game but even stallworth had trouble getting off the blocks and stopping the run . 

Grover should not be playing 3T, and was only out there because both Buckner and Autry were out. I'm fine with Grover at 3T vs short yardage situations, but that should be it.

On 12/3/2020 at 8:05 AM, DaColts85 said:

On strictly passing downs I would have Buckner and Lewis as DT's.  I would not want Lewis at 3T unless it is just to help keep Bucks legs fresh, but Buckner will always have the better impact.  To me honestly Lewis isn't terrible moving in or out.  He is versatile but that also means he isn't great at anything.  I can see him still moving out to be an edge setter personally.  He and Turay are both still very young in their careers and both have had injury/play issues that have held them back as well.  The remaining years of their contracts will obviously be huge.

For me... assuming all healthy

Short yardage

Lewis/Buckner/Stewart/Autry

Standard downs

Houston/Bucker/Stewart/Autry

Passing downs 

Houston/Autry/Buckner/Turay

13 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Grover should not be playing 3T, and was only out there because both Buckner and Autry were out. I'm fine with Grover at 3T vs short yardage situations, but that should be it.

Agree with that . I don't want to start blaming coaches for losses but this staff is average and no way they were going to devise a game plan to stop the Tenn run game with the injuries to the defense. Compare that to how Baltimore held up for 3/4's of the game while being short handed the week before. They wore down and lost in the end but not for a bad placement on 3rd down late in the 4th , they would have won that game.

1 hour ago, Freenyfan102 said:

I won't be upset if the Colts cut him after this year or dont reward him with a new contract. If the colts keep him i wont be surprised  but not thrilled either the guys hardly on the field. 

he has one year left and a low salary, he probably will play that out and they make a decision after next season.  doubt he gets cut before then, he seems to have a strong work ethic and the potential is there to be a good edge rusher 

On 12/2/2020 at 11:37 AM, Shive said:

I believe he had 10 snaps against GB and 4 against TN. I'm assuming his lack of snaps last weekend had more to do with trying to have a bigger front 4 to help against Henry than Turay being ready or not.

That makes sense.

You'd hate to see him get injured again trying to tackle the 240 lb Henry who has a head of steam.

He'll be needed this week against the slippery Watson if he's ready to go.

6 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Turay is an injury-prone player...plain and simple.

I don't know how long the Colts can afford to keep him around.

He makes $1.6m next year with a little under 500k dead cap. So at least another year.

5 minutes ago, CanuckColt said:

Turay is an injury-prone player...plain and simple.

I don't know how long the Colts can afford to keep him around.

He's been injured twice in 3 years while in Indy, both very unrelated.

Both in the same year, one a neck strain (missed a game) and then the broken ankle.

Let's not act like he's been on IR for 3 years straight, or constantly getting dinged up.

And can't afford? He's on a rookie deal making about 1.3/year, and under contract through 2021.... 

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, I actually saw him in this past game, so he wasn't completely invisible. Maybe he's finally healing for real now, as in "football healed". If he can get to where he's actually making plays, wow, this team may just have a real shot at it. They're going to have a shot, anyway, but a playmaking Turay may be that final piece.

Archived