Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Campbell likely done for the year

Mr.Debonair

I figured at this point he wasn't coming back this season. Injuries suck for any player but it's especially frustrating for Campbell. I'm not sure if he will be able to stay healthy but I think he would be terrific if he can. He would add a dynamic element to the offense that is needed.

There have been several WRs who were injured their fist year or two and then went on to have productive careers.  Remember Jimmy Smith, the outstanding WR for the Jags?  He was drafted pretty high by the Cowboys, but injuries pretty much took him out his first couple years.  He was cut for refusing to take a pay cut and went on to be an All Pro with Jacksonville.  (didn't have much luck after football though)

All that being said, the Colts need to pick up another WR next season.  Either early in the draft, or if not, a proven vet like Allen Robinson.  This should happen no matter what happens with TY.

44 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

There have been several WRs who were injured their fist year or two and then went on to have productive careers.  Remember Jimmy Smith, the outstanding WR for the Jags?  He was drafted pretty high by the Cowboys, but injuries pretty much took him out his first couple years.  He was cut for refusing to take a pay cut and went on to be an All Pro with Jacksonville.  (didn't have much luck after football though)

All that being said, the Colts need to pick up another WR next season.  Either early in the draft, or if not, a proven vet like Allen Robinson.  This should happen no matter what happens with TY.

I think the strategy with the Campbell draft was that he could start of at slot, then possibly take over TYs role as he developed and when TY rolled off.  That's what really stinks about his injuries, it has stunted his development to the point where we might have to invest in TYs replacement not knowing that Parris might be able to do the job.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I had to look up Jimmy Smith's history after football.  Not so good.  

And nothing of value was lost.

If the man can't stay healthy it doesn't matter how much talent he has.  Dude is 1 more season away from washing out of the league completely, if he even gets another chance at this rate.

God knows I have no leg to stand on when it comes to defending fancrushes (coughJB7cough) but I get impatient easily with people who back a guy simply assuming he's going to be healthy and on the field when he hasn't proven that that's a thing he does.

Would much rather have a lesser talent that can actually play 14+ games a year than a greater talent that can't.  There's value in dependability, and Campbell has zero in that value.

We nearly lost Marcus Johnson, who's nothing flashy but a solid roleplayer, in part in order to accommodate Campbell's undemonstrated "potential."  Given the choice between the two right now I pick Johnson 15 times out of 10.  Potential doesn't matter if dependability isn't happening.  What matters is not what you could do in theory but what you can be counted on to do.  You can't count on Campbell to tie his shoes without hitting the PUP list at this point.

2 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

If the man can't stay healthy it doesn't matter how much talent he has.  Dude is 1 more season away from washing out of the league completely, if he even gets another chance at this rate.

God knows I have no leg to stand on when it comes to defending fancrushes (coughJB7cough) but I get impatient easily with people who back a guy simply assuming he's going to be healthy and on the field when he hasn't proven that that's a thing he does.

Would much rather have a lesser talent that can actually play 14+ games a year than a greater talent that can't.  There's value in dependability, and Campbell has zero in that value.

I mean, he came into the league without any injury concerns, was banged up last year, then had Harrison Smith missile into the side of his planted knee. I hardly hold that against him, because anyone in his place on that play would have gotten injured just the same.

It's frustrating that he hasn't seen the field much yet, but I don't chalk it up to him being injury-prone. If the nagging injuries continue next season, I think the injury-prone label is warranted, but he's missing this season because someone took his knee out.

Right now we've got 2 samples of play from Campbell, one where he utterly failed to get on page with Brisset, despite lesser talents like Pascal and Johnson managing to do so.  And one where he barely got on the field before going off it.

Players can be plagued by the injury bug after joining the NFL.  Campbell's heading right for it.

Also -- illegal hits happen in the NFL.  If you don't believe me you haven't been watching Jack Doyle's career very closely.  If Campbells' body can't absorb them without taking serious damage, you have to question how long his career is going to be anyway.

So for the folks who have played college football or a lot of high school ball, I assume there are ways taught to try to protect yourself? 

I know its a quick game and bad luck happens, but with the amount of low hits on ball carriers, I'm surprised that there isn't a lot more direct contact leg injuries than what there is.  

I've seen some players at times hop a step as to avoid putting weight and planting on a leg they sense is going to get hit.  Sort of give up their legs.  Just wondering if players are taught certain techniques, or if some have better peripheral vision or simple ability to sense a pending awkward collision.

Not blaming Parris.  Just got me thinking that if there is something more to the notion that some players are injury prone more than others from something more than just bad luck.

41 minutes ago, Imgrandojji said:

Right now we've got 2 samples of play from Campbell, one where he utterly failed to get on page with Brisset, despite lesser talents like Pascal and Johnson managing to do so.  And one where he barely got on the field before going off it.

Players can be plagued by the injury bug after joining the NFL.  Campbell's heading right for it.

Also -- illegal hits happen in the NFL.  If you don't believe me you haven't been watching Jack Doyle's career very closely.  If Campbells' body can't absorb them without taking serious damage, you have to question how long his career is going to be anyway.

He was a rookie just learning his way with Jacoby. That isn’t fair. He has two seasons to stay healthy. He would be a star if he didn’t have all this bad luck.

35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So for the folks who have played college football or a lot of high school ball, I assume there are ways taught to try to protect yourself? 

I know its a quick game and bad luck happens, but with the amount of low hits on ball carriers, I'm surprised that there isn't a lot more direct contact leg injuries than what there is.  

I've seen some players at times hop a step as to avoid putting weight and planting on a leg they sense is going to get hit.  Sort of give up their legs.  Just wondering if players are taught certain techniques, or if some have better peripheral vision or simple ability to sense a pending awkward collision.

Not blaming Parris.  Just got me thinking that if there is something more to the notion that some players are injury prone more than others from something more than just bad luck.

There was a player on the colts that talked about this. Sometimes technique can help you avoid injuries. Maybe that is something Campbell needs to work on. I think it might of been Marcus Johnson that talked about this after his injury in 2018 but can’t be sure. 

26 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There was a player on the colts that talked about this. Sometimes technique can help you avoid injuries. Maybe that is something Campbell needs to work on. I think it might of been Marcus Johnson that talked about this after his injury in 2018 but can’t be sure. 

Yeah, your legs can't provide much resistance or else something is going to tear.  Give it up in a split second. Lift a foot a bit, stuff like that.  But you have to have the vision or sense to see it coming in that split second.  Many if not most are just plain unavoidable.  Again, surprised there aren't more lower leg injuries given the amount of impact that goes on in any given game.

It sucks because to my knowledge, no injury concerns with him in college. But this isn’t likely to just go away. That’s why they always refer to it as a “bug”. Like a bug it always seems to leave shortly and then resurface eventually. Except in rare cases, players who miss this much time never just miraculously get and stay healthy. I think this season is the first time since he’s been drafted that Keenan Allen hasn’t missed a game.

Unfortunately when the player isn’t someone as talented as Keenan Allen or even Derwin James, the team isn’t inclined to hold its breath over the player. Players that simply “flash” a couple plays before major injuries aren’t going to be brought back just based on small glimpses of play that can’t even be described as dominant or game breaking. Remember that the best ability is availability as the old saying goes. 

It also leads to confusion for fans too because they’ll tend to overhype or over exaggerate the “flashes” and so if the player doesn’t come back after injury and play up to the dominant player that they’ve built up in their minds, they’ll accuse the injury of not being fully healed/still nagging the player, or say that the injury just threw his trajectory so far off track in a crucial time that he wasn’t able to recover. 

Rather than hold their breath on Campbell, I think we should roll the dice in FA or the draft on another WR. Call it insurance. But man the odds of him 1. Making a comeback and staying healthy, and 2. Becoming a breakout player that lives up to where he was drafted and justifies the players he was drafted over, are slim. And that’s not being pessimistic, that’s just being real.

1 hour ago, Imgrandojji said:

He was a rookie that didn't get much time in preseason due to being banged up. That's an unreasonable expectation.

22 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It sucks because to my knowledge, no injury concerns with him in college. But this isn’t likely to just go away. That’s why they always refer to it as a “bug”. Like a bug it always seems to leave shortly and then resurface eventually. Except in rare cases, players who miss this much time never just miraculously get and stay healthy. I think this season is the first time since he’s been drafted that Keenan Allen hasn’t missed a game.

Here's the video of the hit:

Keep in mind that this is slowed down and Harrison Smith hits like a mac truck, so any contact from him usually carries a LOT of force behind it. In this case, all of this force was to the side of Parris' planted leg. This isn't some lingering hamstring or foot issue that just keeps coming back over and over again. Smith doesn't shoot for his knee and we most likely still have Parris Campbell on the active roster.

28 minutes ago, Shive said:

He was a rookie that didn't get much time in preseason due to being banged up. That's an unreasonable expectation.

Keep in mind that this is slowed down and Harrison Smith hits like a mac truck, so any contact from him usually carries a LOT of force behind it. In this case, all of this force was to the side of Parris' planted leg. This isn't some lingering hamstring or foot issue that just keeps coming back over and over again. Smith doesn't shoot for his knee and we most likely still have Parris Campbell on the active roster.

I totally hear you with the Campbell injury from this season. It wasn’t his fault. But to my point, he keeps compiling injuries in different areas of his body. It’s hard to come back from that because you never know when something is going to act up again. An abdominal muscle strain that kept him out 3 weeks, the. A broken hand where he missed four games, and finally a foot fracture that ended his season all in 2019. And now the MCL. And that doesn’t even include whatever happened to him his rookie year in training camp.

That’s just a lot of injuries on a body for a guy drafted a year ago. The NFL season is Lon and tough and it just makes you wonder is he built to last a full 16 games? Or since almost everyone misses time , at least 12/16. And he’s missed a lot of valuable time in terms of reps, on field snaps, position coaching, weight room work, conditioning, etc... tough hill to climb. And he’s got to reset to square one each time. First he’s gotta back into playing strength, then he’s gotta start getting comfortable moving again. Then he’s got to dive back into the playbook, get back in the routine of working out, practicing,etc... you don’t just get injured, heal, and then pick back up where you left off when you’re that young.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

I totally hear you with the Campbell injury from this season. It wasn’t his fault. But to my point, he keeps compiling injuries in different areas of his body. It’s hard to come back from that because you never know when something is going to act up again. An abdominal muscle strain that kept him out 3 weeks, the. A broken hand where he missed four games, and finally a foot fracture that ended his season all in 2019. And now the MCL. And that doesn’t even include whatever happened to him his rookie year in training camp.

That’s just a lot of injuries on a body for a guy drafted a year ago. The NFL season is Lon and tough and it just makes you wonder is he built to last a full 16 games? Or since almost everyone misses time , at least 12/16. And he’s missed a lot of valuable time in terms of reps, on field snaps, position coaching, weight room work, conditioning, etc... tough hill to climb. And he’s got to reset to square one each time. First he’s gotta back into playing strength, then he’s gotta start getting comfortable moving again. Then he’s got to dive back into the playbook, get back in the routine of working out, practicing,etc... you don’t just get injured, heal, and then pick back up where you left off when you’re that young.

It’s Gonzo all over again.  

53 minutes ago, Shive said:

Yeah.  Parris tried to protect himself but the foot got caught under Smith's knee.  He tried to get off his feet at the last split second but the foot was trapped.

3 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

I’m not sure you realize just how false and misleading what you wrote actually is?

You state that Campbell failed to connect with JB while lesser talents like Pascal and Johnson did connect.   Yet you didn’t say a word about all the injuries he suffered his rookie year.   I think there were four separate injuries.   And you didn’t mention them.  And it’s those injuries that kept Campbell from connecting in a way that other receivers could.  

Care to explain that?   Because otherwise it goes to your credibility. 

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Unfortunately when the player isn’t someone as talented as Keenan Allen or even Derwin James, the team isn’t inclined to hold its breath over the player. Players that simply “flash” a couple plays before major injuries aren’t going to be brought back just based on small glimpses of play that can’t even be described as dominant or game breaking. Remember that the best ability is availability as the old saying goes. 

It also leads to confusion for fans too because they’ll tend to overhype or over exaggerate the “flashes” and so if the player doesn’t come back after injury and play up to the dominant player that they’ve built up in their minds, they’ll accuse the injury of not being fully healed/still nagging the player, or say that the injury just threw his trajectory so far off track in a crucial time that he wasn’t able to recover. 

Rather than hold their breath on Campbell, I think we should roll the dice in FA or the draft on another WR. Call it insurance. But man the odds of him 1. Making a comeback and staying healthy, and 2. Becoming a breakout player that lives up to where he was drafted and justifies the players he was drafted over, are slim. And that’s not being pessimistic, that’s just being real.

The nomination for the most over dramatic, over written piece of garbage goes to......

What a dumpster fire. 

5 hours ago, DougDew said:

I’ve played. The thing with this kind of stuff is that if you’re given the chance to get the ball and make a play, you sometimes open yourself up to getting hit, quite hard. This could have been one of those things where he was extremely motivated to make a big play after a disappointing rookie year. 

Honestly a lot of high school programs focus on that killer “tough guy” instinct, and a little less on ways to protect yourself. It’s gotten better over the years, but that mindset is still fairly prevalent. 

It also doesn’t help that NFL defenders are built like small trucks colliding into ball carriers. I can’t imagine how that feels, and I still remember the feeling of getting hit as a running back in high school. 

Well,  we can agree with Campbell’s problem being bad luck. He has genuine promise but who knows if he can make it back fully healthy or if he can stay healthy. 
Because of that, the Colts have to be aggressive in finding another WR. I’m hoping it’s via Free Agency. We all know the old adage that WRs take time to develop. The Colts need an impact player right now. It’s a weakness and must be addressed. 

6 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

The bolded above was a seriously bad take. The full breakdown of 2019 is below, which includes how he compared to others. But a few points...

1. In games where he got decent snaps, he typically had as many or more catches that Pascal.
  2. JB struggled big time throwing to the seam, and hitting slots in general. Plenty of All22 snaps where he missed a wide open Rogers and TEs in the seam.
  3. Johnson was only inserted the last half of the season, and common games were limited to one game in which Campbell got injured. 
  4. Comparing either Johnson or Pascal to Campbell is a bad comp in the first place, as they were different WR positions, and both Z and X get outside, and deeper targets. Pascal was really the only X for the year with Funch going out, and Johnson was inserted during a period when both Campbell and TY were out a lot. They were basically go to options by default.
  5. Saying anyone was not on the same page with JB is kind of silly. Every WR and TE but Pascal regressed in most stat categories, biggest being AVG. Pascal was the only WR to play 16 games, which is why he led Indy in yards, and the next closest was Rogers with 12 games, who JB just couldn't hit in the seam.
  6. In short, when Campbell was in, he was on the same page with JB as much, or more than any of the pass catchers.

Here's his basic timeline for 2019

Preseason Games 1,2, and 3 - missed the first 3 PS games due to hamstring injury.

PS G4 - led all WRs catching the ball from Kelly and Walker...

WK 1 - less than 30% of snaps. One target, one catch

WK 2 - less than 30% of snaps. One target, one catch

WK 3 - roughly 40% of snaps. Three targets, three catches. That's more catches than Pascal that week

WK 4 - Roughly 60% of snaps before getting injured (abs), 8 targets, 5 catches. Again, more catches than Pascal.

WK 5 through WK 7 - out

WK8 - only 8 snaps in his first game back

WK9 - Roughly 60% of snaps before getting injured (broken hand). Tied for most receptions.

WK 10 through 13 - out

WK 14 - 3 catches on 5 targets before getting injured (broken foot), and then on IR.

7 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

We nearly lost Marcus Johnson, who's nothing flashy but a solid roleplayer, in part in order to accommodate Campbell's undemonstrated "potential."  Given the choice between the two right now I pick Johnson 15 times out of 10.  Potential doesn't matter if dependability isn't happening.  What matters is not what you could do in theory but what you can be counted on to do.  You can't count on Campbell to tie his shoes without hitting the PUP list at this point.

Hamstring, Abs, broken foot, broken hand, knee, concussion. 6 different injuries. The hit from Smith this year would have likely taken any WR or RB out of action. 

Is he a brittle guy? Maybe, but there's nothing specific that lingered. He led the team in receiving yards in the one game he played this year.

I do agree that production is king. Campbell can't produce if he's not on the field. That said, it's not like Campbell went out this year with an injury that has plagued him. Wanting someone like Johnson, is fair if you're talking about depth, but he's just not very consistent, or good. IIRC, he has the worst catch % of all pass catchers (WR or TE) on the team. He also runs bad routes and is a combined 3 of 11 in the last 4 games.

In short, I wouldn't worry too much about losing Johnson. I like him, but he's a depth guy. There's a reason why nobody was going out of their way to sign him.

So tell me folks, what is worse? Waiting to see if a guy can get past the bad luck of injuries while he is still on a rookie deal, or cut him loose to make ya'll feel better and see him get it together with another team?

Till his rookie deal is done, why in the hell entertain any other ideas? I mean, what is the point?....so later you can say, "I told you so?"

15 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, your legs can't provide much resistance or else something is going to tear.  Give it up in a split second. Lift a foot a bit, stuff like that.  But you have to have the vision or sense to see it coming in that split second.  Many if not most are just plain unavoidable.  Again, surprised there aren't more lower leg injuries given the amount of impact that goes on in any given game.

this was a freak one in gazillion accident.  The reason for the injury is the tacklers knee happens to land on campbells foot causing in to briefly stick in the turf just as his shoulder makes contact with his knee.

Just very unfortunate.  This is a freaky injury.

He may become injury prone, but this season and this injury has nothing to do with that kind of thing.  It’s like blaming a driver who is in his lane for an accident caused by a driver crossing the center line.  Campbell was a just randomly hit the wrong way here.

The accident victim may be a bad driver, but in that case he had no control whatsoever.

This video shows that.  This topic is absurd.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0geKLoz0MhfFfkAA_BXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZANDMDE2MF8xBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=parris+campbell+injury&fr2=piv-web&fr=ipad#id=1&vid=f449be8b3e85c464bfdd3828fcdb4c98&action=view

28 minutes ago, Nickster said:

this was a freak one in gazillion accident.  The reason for the injury is the tacklers knee happens to land on campbells foot causing in to briefly stick in the turf just as his shoulder makes contact with his knee.

Just very unfortunate.  This is a freaky injury.

He may become injury prone, but this season and this injury has nothing to do with that kind of thing.  It’s like blaming a driver who is in his lane for an accident caused by a driver crossing the center line.  Campbell was a just randomly hit the wrong way here.

The accident victim may be a bad driver, but in that case he had no control whatsoever.

This video shows that.  This topic is absurd.

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=A0geKLoz0MhfFfkAA_BXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZANDMDE2MF8xBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=parris+campbell+injury&fr2=piv-web&fr=ipad#id=1&vid=f449be8b3e85c464bfdd3828fcdb4c98&action=view

Curious, did you read the rest of my comments or just decided to jump on that one?:D

Archived