Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who's gonna be punting on Sunday?

Zoltan

5 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

They haven't even mentioned or addressed this? It's bizarre

Covid protocols really restrict this. I imagine at this point it’ll be Blankenship or someone else that’s already on the team. 

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Pat is coming out of retirement for 1 game (sarcasm) but that would be funny. He can probably still punt at least 40 yards haha .

AV is still available...

13 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

Marquette King is a free agent and a elite punter who got cut for being goofy and doing stuff patty Macafee did .   He’s the best option and would fit in well 

I agree with future games we should look at King and I mentioned previously he lit up the XFL this spring , he still has it

Ballard has been working on this since last week so I bet someone is already going through the covid protocols and will be signed as soon as he clears them. Probably don’t want to sign anyone until that is done becausw  then your stuck Mwybe they have a couple that are going through them so they don’t get in a bad situation. if they don’t clear them. I am concerned about the holder on FG. Hopefully that won’t mddd with FG.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard has been working on this since last week so I bet someone is already going through the covid protocols and will be signed as soon as he clears them. Probably don’t want to sign anyone until that is done becausw  then your stuck Mwybe they have a couple that are going through them so they don’t get in a bad situation. if they don’t clear them.

I'm hopeful that this is the case.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am concerned about the holder on FG. Hopefully that won’t mddd with FG.

Bubba said in his recent media availability that they have a few guys on the roster that can hold if needed, but their preference is to have the punter hold.

34 minutes ago, Shive said:

I'm hopeful that this is the case.

Bubba said in his recent media availability that they have a few guys on the roster that can hold if needed, but their preference is to have the punter hold.

Sounds like Jacoby is gonna hold and we will see a fake field goal this week

40 minutes ago, Shive said:

What happened to the backup qb being the holder?  That makes the most sense to me and i understand most teams have the punter hold but if you ever need a fake FG i'd rather have a qb in there.  Understood that may be a rare occasion but still.

4 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

What happened to the backup qb being the holder?  That makes the most sense to me and i understand most teams have the punter hold but if you ever need a fake FG i'd rather have a qb in there.  Understood that may be a rare occasion but still.

Romo made that go away.

14 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Sounds like Jacoby is gonna hold and we will see a fake field goal this week

7 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Honestly, that makes the most sense if he's one of the guys they have designated as a holder. He gives that added wrinkle of a potential fake that could alleviate some of the pressure Hot Rod sees. Above all else, I'd rather the holder be the guy that is the best at it on the active roster. If that's JB, great.

41 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Wouldn't it be surprising to see Sanchez out there...I suspect, given the lack of info on the type and location of the tumor - it was likely in a relatively small 'sensitive' spot and the healing process - quick.  I may have missed it, was he placed on IR?

JMO

:thinking:

From what they've said so far (not much) it seemed like the recovery timeframe could be quite a while. Bubba was asked if he thought Sanchez would be able to play again this season and Bubba said they didn't have a set timeframe, but they were hoping he would be able to.

I think we'd see an IR move happen in conjunction with a new punter being signed.

4 minutes ago, Shive said:

From what they've said so far (not much) it seemed like the recovery timeframe could be quite a while. Bubba was asked if he thought Sanchez would be able to play again this season and Bubba said they didn't have a set timeframe, but they were hoping he would be able to.

I think we'd see an IR move happen in conjunction with a new punter being signed.

Got ya.  Thanks for the insight!

2 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Got ya.  Thanks for the insight!

No problem! I honestly think this will be very similar to Pittman's injury where it's an uncommon issue to have and the recovery timetable is very dependent on where the surgery was performed, how big of an area/which muscles were impacted, and how quickly those muscles heal.

It's tough to gauge since I don't think many players (if any) have had a tumor removed from their leg, especially a punter where there's a lot of tension/impact on their kicking leg when they punt.

1 hour ago, Fluke_33 said:

1 hour ago, Shive said:

Honestly, that makes the most sense if he's one of the guys they have designated as a holder. He gives that added wrinkle of a potential fake that could alleviate some of the pressure Hot Rod sees. Above all else, I'd rather the holder be the guy that is the best at it on the active roster. If that's JB, great.

I think QBs got away from holding bc their position demands so much attention.  A backup QB isn’t a bench warmer anymore.  A lot of them are involved in game planning and relating what they are seeing on the sidelines to the starters like an assistant coach.  The amount of time a qb would miss to practice with the kickers would probably be substantial.   Might as well have the punter do it so the kicker, punter and long snapper can work as a group separate while the QBs stay in their group.  Just my deduction and don’t know if that is it or not. 

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It does seem that the tumor was somewhere that effected him kicking. Reich said he was able to do punts but not kickoffs for some reason.  I imagine until they go in and get it out and really know the extent we won’t know for sure. 

From what I gathered from Bubba, he had the leg pain going into the game and relieving of his kickoff duties was intended to lighten his load, not that it was any less painful to do one or the other.

Also, they went in yesterday and removed the tumor. There hasn't been anything I've seen about the extent of the "damage" yet though.

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I think QBs got away from holding bc their position demands so much attention.  A backup QB isn’t a bench warmer anymore.  A lot of them are involved in game planning and relating what they are seeing on the sidelines to the starters like an assistant coach.  The amount of time a qb would miss to practice with the kickers would probably be substantial.   Might as well have the punter do it so the kicker, punter and long snapper can work as a group separate while the QBs stay in their group.  Just my deduction and don’t know if that is it or not. 

The kicking team works as a unit and you are correct on this. You keep special teams together and a quarterback doesn’t have any place in that unit. Punters have a better knowledge of the kicking process, and also have good hands (generally) as they are on the receiving end of a 15 yard bullet snap with no time for a bobble during a punt. They are equally if not more suited to hold placekicks as a backup quarterback is. 

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard has been working on this since last week so I bet someone is already going through the covid protocols and will be signed as soon as he clears them. Probably don’t want to sign anyone until that is done becausw  then your stuck Mwybe they have a couple that are going through them so they don’t get in a bad situation. if they don’t clear them. I am concerned about the holder on FG. Hopefully that won’t mddd with FG.

Yeah, this is the truth of the matter enough said. 

1 hour ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

The kicking team works as a unit and you are correct on this. You keep special teams together and a quarterback doesn’t have any place in that unit. Punters have a better knowledge of the kicking process, and also have good hands (generally) as they are on the receiving end of a 15 yard bullet snap with no time for a bobble during a punt. They are equally if not more suited to hold placekicks as a backup quarterback is. 

Not to mention a lot of back up QBs are participating in other parts of practice while the kickers are working on kicking and the backup QB isn’t available to practice with them while the the punter is.

11 hours ago, Shive said:

From what I gathered from Bubba, he had the leg pain going into the game and relieving of his kickoff duties was intended to lighten his load, not that it was any less painful to do one or the other.

Also, they went in yesterday and removed the tumor. There hasn't been anything I've seen about the extent of the "damage" yet though.

What did I miss? Why are we calling him Bubba?

Archived