Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Here's my 2 cents 2.0

It amazes me how this forum is after a loss. Colts currently are the 7th Seed in the AFC and some of you act as if they have already been eliminated. 

I know its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel but Colts still have a shot.

There's absolutely no reason to be this discouraged especially with 5 games to go.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It amazes me how this forum is after a loss. Colts currently are the 7th Seed in the AFC and some of you act as if they have already been eliminated.    I know its hard to see the light at t

You guys will be fine. You’ll make the playoffs. I have always thought our fan base gets along great with you guys and there is hardly any animosity between our 2 teams. You guys might disagree but we

This roster is primed for the next level with a great QB. Which to me speaks of how great Ballard has been.    Its funny honestly the fans that crown this team great are the first to crumble

The team has been at this level before under the Luck years.  It can play well and look like a contender, then lay some real stinkers.  It speaks to it being a 7-9 to 9-7 team that overachieves into the playoffs.

No big deal.  There is still work to do.

• Like 4

You guys will be fine. You’ll make the playoffs. I have always thought our fan base gets along great with you guys and there is hardly any animosity between our 2 teams. You guys might disagree but we feel like both teams have a friendship more than a rivalry.

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The team has been at this level before under the Luck years.  It can play well and look like a contender, then lay some real stinkers.  It speaks to it being a 7-9 to 9-7 team that overachieves into the playoffs.

Remember , the Luck years were mostly during a previous administration.   

The current administration are not the same guys.   And this is not a 7-9 to 9-7 over achieving into the playoffs.   This is not deja vu all over again. 

• Like 2
21 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think the ceiling is 10 - 6 which is certainly possible but my 9 - 7 prediction 6th seed is looking very possible RN.

Just would like to see more positive thoughts here even after a loss.

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember , the Luck years were mostly during a previous administration.   

The current administration are not the same guys.   And this is not a 7-9 to 9-7 over achieving into the playoffs.   This is not deja vu all over again. 

Not deja vu, but the same result from a different path.  Same level of talent mixed into a different blend of positions.  A little less at QB and the skilled, a  little more elsewhere.  

A 9-7 team is the same basic team as a 7-9 team, with a few untimely injuries or plays in the mix.  If we went 11-5 this year, we would have been as much of a real 11-5 team as we were in Lucks first year.  Some over achieving at critical times, just in different ways.

If went 11-5 his year, we would not have been a 13-3 team that messed up a few things to land at 11-5.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Not deja vu, but the same result from a different path.  Same level of talent mixed into a different blend of positions.  A little less at QB and the skilled, a  little more elsewhere.  

A 9-7 team is the same basic team as a 7-9 team, with a few untimely injuries or plays in the mix.  If we went 11-5 this year, we would have been as much of a real 11-5 team as we were in Lucks first year.  Some over achieving at critical times, just in different ways.

If went 11-5 his year, we would not have been a 13-3 team that messed up a few things to land at 11-5.

If you think this team has roughly the same level of talent, then I don’t know what to tell you.   Congrats, you have me at a loss of words, and we all know that doesn’t happen too often!

Sorry, but we see the same thing differently. 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If you think this team has roughly the same level of talent, then I don’t know what to tell you.   Congrats, you have me at a loss of words, and we all know that doesn’t happen too often!

Sorry, but we see the same thing differently. 

I don't see how you don't think so.  At best we'll have the same record as the team we had during the good Luck years, a team that could lay some real stinkers at times.  Just like we do now.

Just scrape off the excess talent we had in elite QB  Luck that carried the team and sprinkle it around a few relatively unimportant positions, and you have our team now.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Aside from the Titans last week, I think we really should have won a few other games.  We gave away the Jax game, dominated the first half of the Ravens game, and a few costly turnovers killed us in the Browns game.  This team right now could easily be a 9-2 team.

If this team is healthy, and if the self-inflicted wounds are limited we can play with any other team on any given Sunday.  We certainly didn't have the best luck last week with Buckner, Autry, Oke out on D (Willis missing a good chunk of the game as well) and with AC and Kelly out on the OL.  It became very clear early on in the game that the DL is much different (especially against the run) with Buckner and Autry in the lineup opposed to having to pull guys off the practice squad and rotate in.

My main concern about the playoffs this year is that we'll lose tiebreakers to BALT, TN (most likely) and CLE.  As of now we'd also lose a tiebreaker to MIA.  

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:

Aside from the Titans last week, I think we really should have won a few other games.  We gave away the Jax game, dominated the first half of the Ravens game, and a few costly turnovers killed us in the Browns game.  This team right now could easily be a 9-2 team.

If this team is healthy, and if the self-inflicted wounds are limited we can play with any other team on any given Sunday.  We certainly didn't have the best luck last week with Buckner, Autry, Oke out on D (Willis missing a good chunk of the game as well) and with AC and Kelly out on the OL.  It became very clear early on in the game that the DL is much different (especially against the run) with Buckner and Autry in the lineup opposed to having to pull guys off the practice squad and rotate in.

My main concern about the playoffs this year is that we'll lose tiebreakers to BALT, TN (most likely) and CLE.  As of now we'd also lose a tiebreaker to MIA.  

I don't disagree at all.  But saying woulda shoulda happens to every team each year, that's how they land at their record.  

Its not the same team as a few years ago, but just like a few years ago, we have the ability to beat anybody, but to also lose to (nearly) anybody, and to look great, and to look horrible.  

Just comparing that to when we had real playoff roster with the PM years where we were consistently 11-5 or better.  We generally lost to only the other really good teams.  11-5 at our worst.  Now, we'd be 11-5 at our best. 

Not where want to be yet, and we've got some major holes to plug to stay where we're at.  Which we saw coming.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't see how you don't think so.  At best we'll have the same record as the team we had during the good Luck years, a team that could lay some real stinkers at times.  Just like we do now.

Just scrape off the excess talent we had in elite QB  Luck that carried the team and sprinkle it around a few relatively unimportant positions, and you have our team now.

In his itinerary, Phillip Rivers was never as good as Andrew Luck.   And Rivers us no longer in his prime.  

But Rivers is still good enough to take a good, but still flawed roster (mostly due to injuries) to the playoffs.  Luck dragged inferior teams to the playoffs.  And when that team got old and less talented dye to bad drafts and free agents, he dragged bad teams to 8-8 records. 

If you sincerely think this team is roughly the same as the Luck era teams you are (A) harshly criticizing Chris Ballard (B) lavishly praising Ryan Grison or (C) doing both.   I don’t think ANY of those options are very appealing, but maybe that’s just me.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

In his itinerary, Phillip Rivers was never as good as Andrew Luck.   And Rivers us no longer in his prime.  

But Rivers is still good enough to take a good, but still flawed roster (mostly due to injuries) to the playoffs.  Luck dragged inferior teams to the playoffs.  And when that team got old and less talented dye to bad drafts and free agents, he dragged bad teams to 8-8 records. 

If you sincerely think this team is roughly the same as the Luck era teams you are (A) harshly criticizing Chris Ballard (B) lavishly praising Ryan Grison or (C) doing both.   I don’t think ANY of those options are very appealing, but maybe that’s just me.

Sorry, but you keep looking at every comment through some sort of GM comparison prism, having the same conversation. 

I made the comment you quoted.  I know what I meant.  It was talking about about the team on the field, and what is generating the record, compared to the team on the field back then, and what was generating the record.  Its sound like you're saying it doesn't matter because we've got Paris Campbell and Marlon Mack on IR.  They don't count in the context of my comment.  Just like a dinged up Ahmad Bradshaw and an IR'd Reggie Wayne, Donald Thomas, and Gosder Cherilous doesn't count back then.

I said that we are basically the same team with the same level flaws and ability to lose badly.  Its just that the flaws are in different places.  Not sure why that generates a GM comparison defense.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Sorry, but you keep looking at every comment through some sort of GM comparison prism, having the same conversation. 

I made the comment you quoted.  I know what I meant.  It was talking about about the team on the field, and what is generating the record, compared to the team on the field back then, and what was generating the record.  Its sound like you're saying it doesn't matter because we've got Paris Campbell and Marlon Mack on IR.  They don't count in the context of my comment.  Just like a dinged up Ahmad Bradshaw and an IR'd Reggie Wayne, Donald Thomas, and Gosder Cherilous doesn't count back then.

I said that we are basically the same team with the same level flaws and ability to lose badly.  Its just that the flaws are in different places.  Not sure why that generates a GM comparison defense.

Not sure why this generates a GM debate?

If I understand you correctly, and maybe I don’t,  you’re stating that this team is roughly the same as the Luck playoff level teams.   I think it’s false.   And I think it’s a false argument to suggest they are.  

You think after 4 years of rebuilding this team, Ballard has equaled a Grigson talent level team.   I think that’s false and we can break it down by draft and free agency, but I don’t think that’s necessary.  I think the facts are pretty obvious.  

The Grigson teams had Luck.  He covered up numerous flaws.  The Ballard teams have had JB or now PR in 3 of the 4 years.   But the team PR has now I think is better than any team AL ever had.   You disagree.   We see the same thing differently which is what I said 2-3 posts ago. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Arodgers12 said:

You guys will be fine. You’ll make the playoffs. I have always thought our fan base gets along great with you guys and there is hardly any animosity between our 2 teams. You guys might disagree but we feel like both teams have a friendship more than a rivalry.

To be honest, my second favorite team is the Packers. Why? Because of what happened in 1995.

my birthday was the day the Colts played the Steelers in the AFCChampionship game. I watched in horror as the Steelers stole their way in thanks to a blown call by the refs(surprise right?). I became the worlds biggest overnight Packers fan that day. And jumped and down two weeks later when the Packers beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not sure why this generates a GM debate?

If I understand you correctly, and maybe I don’t,  you’re stating that this team is roughly the same as the Luck playoff level teams.   I think it’s false.   And I think it’s a false argument to suggest they are.  

You think after 4 years of rebuilding this team, Ballard has equaled a Grigson talent level team.   I think that’s false and we can break it down by draft and free agency, but I don’t think that’s necessary.  I think the facts are pretty obvious.  

The Grigson teams had Luck.  He covered up numerous flaws.  The Ballard teams have had JB or now PR in 3 of the 4 years.   But the team PR has now I think is better than any team AL ever had.   You disagree.   We see the same thing differently which is what I said 2-3 posts ago. 

What are you talking about?

I simply said that we are the same team as back then, in that we have the ability to lose to nearly everybody, beat anybody, and lay some eggs.  Different paths and ways, but the same results. That is a point where we don't want to be and we still have work to do.

If you want to make a detailed presentation about the inherent talent levels of the rosters now and back then, both on the field and on IR, be my guest, but it has nothing to do with what I said. 

• Like 1

We have a far better defense now than we had in the Luck era. Rivers is not Luck. Luck could make an average team a good team. Rivers does not have that ceiling but he is capable if he has a good supporting cast on offense and defense.  Current OL is far better than the OL that Luck had.  I like our current group of running backs by committee. I would probably give  Luck era wide outs edge over current group but I am optimistic on what we have in our wide outs with Pittman and I believe Campbell will contribute once he returns.

The nucleus is here. We need to have a solid draft and hopefully can add a few solid players via FA. I am not sure if Rivers is our best option in 2021. Would love for Eason to emerge as a  solid QB to lead this team.

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Ballard has done a wonderful job but sooner or later he will have to find a solution at QB permanently but I have a feeling Colts will stick with Veterans 

I think we’re in for some Chief like years. The period of Alex Smith prior to Mahomes. Where they were solid, just need a QB to put them over the top. Is Eason that, maybe but odds are nope. We’ll make the playoffs some years, others nope. Just gonna have to give it a couple more years

• Thanks 2

This roster is primed for the next level with a great QB. Which to me speaks of how great Ballard has been. 

Its funny honestly the fans that crown this team great are the first to crumble when things don't go our way. 

I grow tired of the wishy washy nature of a lot of our fans. One second we can beat anyone in the league and the next this team is horrible. 

If that is how you operate in your life, I wouldn't be surprised to see things not going the way you hope they do. 

Every year people complain about Ballard not addressing a certain position. People act like our GM who I will remind you is a top 5 GM, needs to be better than the best GM in the NFL. There is only so much money every year, only so many draft picks, and after that, only so many UDFAs worth being on a roster. Can we please put our pitch forks away and stop acting like Ballard is superman and can pull off any move at any time? 

Get a grip on yourself already. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
6 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think we’re in for some Chief like years. The period of Alex Smith prior to Mahomes. Where they were solid, just need a QB to put them over the top. Is Eason that, maybe but odds are nope. We’ll make the playoffs some years, others nope. Just gonna have to give it a couple more years

The question is who will be our Mahomes 

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What are you talking about?

I simply said that we are the same team as back then, in that we have the ability to lose to nearly everybody, beat anybody, and lay some eggs.  Different paths and ways, but the same results. That is a point where we don't want to be and we still have work to do.

If you want to make a detailed presentation about the inherent talent levels of the rosters now and back then, both on the field and on IR, be my guest, but it has nothing to do with what I said. 

Well....  I literally wrote the words that maybe I don’t understand you.   And even THAT seems not to register with you. 

So I see by the clock on the wall that our time appears to be up.  So I want to thank everyone for playing and say Good Night Everyone!!    See you next time!    :thmup:

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

This roster is primed for the next level with a great QB. Which to me speaks of how great Ballard has been. 

Its funny honestly the fans that crown this team great are the first to crumble when things don't go our way. 

I grow tired of the wishy washy nature of a lot of our fans. One second we can beat anyone in the league and the next this team is horrible. 

If that is how you operate in your life, I wouldn't be surprised to see things not going the way you hope they do. 

Every year people complain about Ballard not addressing a certain position. People act like our GM who I will remind you is a top 5 GM, needs to be better than the best GM in the NFL. There is only so much money every year, only so many draft picks, and after that, only so many UDFAs worth being on a roster. Can we please put our pitch forks away and stop acting like Ballard is superman and can pull off any move at any time? 

Get a grip on yourself already. 

Posty!      :colts:

Great Flipping Post!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
13 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Here’s another great post!   Sorry I can’t give it multiple Likes and Thanks!    :thmup:

:colts:

• Thanks 1

This franchise hinges on every single move Ballard does or doesn't make. 

The sad thing is he has helped turn around the culture of this team and has proven to be a very successful GM especially in the draft.

People will nit pick but having 2/3 of his picks almost as starters or on roster as a success.

We are trending the right way

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

The sad thing is he has helped turn around the culture of this team and has proven to be a very successful GM especially in the draft.

People will nit pick but having 2/3 of his picks almost as starters or on roster as a success.

I agree. 

Last year people complained about ballards lack of getting a WR. This year he didn't address the OL depth enough. 

Must I also remind fans that every year a strength from last year can become a weakness this year. Rosters are ever evolving. Players are growing or back sliding. 

Being a GM isn't easy. 

My hope is to see Ballard remain here for a very long time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

I agree. 

Last year people complained about ballards lack of getting a WR. This year he didn't address the OL depth enough. 

Must I also remind fans that every year a strength from last year can become a weakness this year. Rosters are ever evolving. Players are growing or back sliding. 

Being a GM isn't easy. 

My hope is to see Ballard remain here for a very long time. 

Anytime people complain I remind them of the wonder boy Grigson

• Like 1

Everyone keeps comparing this team to the Luck years. If we had Luck with this defence we would be at worst 9 -2. Rivers is no Luck. This team is not the same because the O-line has regressed since Reich let Deguliano go. Forgive the spelling on his name. Our line was a power running game line at the time and one of the best in the league. But now it seems like they forgot how or are taught to not do so. I blame Reich for letting him go after that season. It made no sense then and is a glaring issue now. You have to be able to run the ball in December and January. If not you will be sitting watching the playoffs. We have a great shot to make the playoffs but we need to turn our line back into that power running line or we will be a quick out. Marvin Harrison said it best in the playoff game let's run the ball.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

Everyone keeps comparing this team to the Luck years. If we had Luck with this defence we would be at worst 9 -2. Rivers is no Luck. This team is not the same because the O-line has regressed since Reich let Deguliano go. Forgive the spelling on his name. Our line was a power running game line at the time and one of the best in the league. But now it seems like they forgot how or are taught to not do so. I blame Reich for letting him go after that season. It made no sense then and is a glaring issue now. You have to be able to run the ball in December and January. If not you will be sitting watching the playoffs. We have a great shot to make the playoffs but we need to turn our line back into that power running line or we will be a quick out. Marvin Harrison said it best in the playoff game let's run the ball.

I hope Colts find a way to improve the running game

11 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

Right, if we had Luck now with this defense, we would be 9 and 2.

If we had this defense with Luck back then, we'd be 9-2 also.  Same overall level of talent.  Dispersed differently.  Now we have the defense.  Then we had the QB.

Still not there.  Still missing critical pieces.  Like we were back then.  Just different ones.

• Confused 2
25 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Regarding your first sentence...   

Is there a single franchise, even one, that doesn’t hinge on every single move a GM makes?

• Like 1
Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Regarding your first sentence...   

Is there a single franchise, even one, that doesn’t hinge on every single move a GM makes?

Well sure but most make more bad choices than good so the good are often forgotten 

• Confused 1
1 hour ago, csmopar said:

To be honest, my second favorite team is the Packers. Why? Because of what happened in 1995.

my birthday was the day the Colts played the Steelers in the AFCChampionship game. I watched in horror as the Steelers stole their way in thanks to a blown call by the refs(surprise right?). I became the worlds biggest overnight Packers fan that day. And jumped and down two weeks later when the Packers beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl.

I think you have 1995 and 2010 mixed up. We beat the Steelers in 2010 in the Super Bowl. 1995 we lost in the NFC Championship Game to the Cowboys.

3 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

It amazes me how this forum is after a loss. Colts currently are the 7th Seed in the AFC and some of you act as if they have already been eliminated. 

I know its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel but Colts still have a shot.

There's absolutely no reason to be this discouraged especially with 5 games to go.

Ravens Steelers  we are no longer 7th seed

42 minutes ago, Bert Johns said:

The drop off is pure and simple injuries along the line since 1 week before the year started. You dont do amazing for 2 years (as much as you hate letting our coach go, year 2 was still elite play) and then drop off a cliff without injuries playing a part. 

Thats my theory anyway. 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, DougDew said:

And somehow, @NewColtsFan is pretending to be confused.....LOL.

No pretend here, Doug.

I'm genuinely and sincerely confused.

You have a unique way of explaining yourself which often leaves me more confused than when the discussion starts!

That's a gift!     Good luck with that!      :thmup: