Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Updated 1st round mock draft - Colts finally go OT early

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-week-13-picks-titans-destroy-browns-in-afc-showdown-bills-win-wild-game-over-49ers-in-arizona/

I am really starting to warm up to LT Christian Darrisaw from VT. I would love it if he were available and Ballard got him to be the backup swing OT year 1, and then take over at LT when Castonzo moves on. 

Rounds 2 and 3 I would then want Indy to get a WR to replace Hilton, and a DE like Aiden Hutchinson who has all the traits if available. This of course all depends on what they think of Eason long term as well. 

I like a LT in the first if one is available worth the pick.  I cannot stand Clark as our depth personally.  Round 2 and 3 I would hope for a CB and WR/DE. We need another solid CB for depth based on Rhodes might not coming back and Carrie being the next best who also might not be back. Tell should play next year but a year sitting does not help any progression.  WR to replace TY, yes! And DE to replace Houston as well.

The latest Draft Network mock also had us taking a LT. It was Eichenberg from Norte Dame though. I thought LT could wait but Castonzo is always bound to miss time during the season so you might as well get your replacement now. And Clark can’t be the backup LT on this team ever again. He might be one of the worst players Grigson ever drafted, second only to TJ Green.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

The latest Draft Network mock also had us taking a LT. It was Eichenberg from Norte Dame though. I thought LT could wait but Castonzo is always bound to miss time during the season so you might as well get your replacement now. And Clark can’t be the backup LT on this team ever again. He might be one of the worst players Grigson ever drafted, second only to TJ Green.

Never thought I'd miss utility guys like Joe Reitz and Joe Haeg, the above average Joes. :) 

I'm partial to Eichenberg myself.  We will not be in a position to draft Penei Sewell.  And the rest are of that level where, depending on your choice, you could get a guy that pans out as pretty good, or a guy who never puts it together.  I hope we choose well.

The next level guys:

Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech, 6-5, 314

Jalen Mayfield, Michigan, 6-5, 319

Samuel Cosmi, Texas, 6-7, 300

Rashawn Slater, Northwestern, 6-4, 315

Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame, 6-6,305

Dillon Radunz, North Dakota St, 6-6, 301

Alex Leatherwood, Alabama, 6-6, 310

I was hoping for a LT out of the 2020 draft so i'm totally on board with one in in the 2021 draft though it doesn't necessarily have to be in round 1.

This article is from April but speculates that the 2021 draft could be great for left tackles. It briefly describes some of the tackles that are likely to be in the 2021 draft many of them being in the mock drafts.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2021-offensive-tackles-draft-class-best-in-years/

Actually, I think LT might be a higher priority than QB.  If you have at least a top 15 QB, you can draft a team around him to make up for the lack of elite talent at QB.

OTOH, I think you need top 10 talent at LT.  No way to make up for it.

Both positions are the kind where if a great one is on the board, you don't pass them up.  Problem is, we have needs at both of those positions.

2 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I'm partial to Eichenberg myself.  We will not be in a position to draft Penei Sewell.  And the rest are of that level where, depending on your choice, you could get a guy that pans out as pretty good, or a guy who never puts it together.  I hope we choose well.

The next level guys:

Christian Darrisaw, Virginia Tech, 6-5, 314

Jalen Mayfield, Michigan, 6-5, 319

Samuel Cosmi, Texas, 6-7, 300

Rashawn Slater, Northwestern, 6-4, 315

Liam Eichenberg, Notre Dame, 6-6,305

Dillon Radunz, North Dakota St, 6-6, 301

Alex Leatherwood, Alabama, 6-6, 310

We don't need more mid round players.

This may be the year to give up a 2nd or 3rd to move up in the first and get your man.

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

O come on.  You're blaming Grigson for Clark still being on the roster 4 years later?

Those magical powerful tentacles of the evil RG keep pulling Ballard back from eliteness I guess. 

Besides by some people's measure, he was a draft success.  I mean, he's still in the NFL four years later.....

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

O come on.  You're blaming Grigson for Clark still being on the roster 4 years later?

Those magical powerful tentacles of the evil RG keep pulling Ballard back from eliteness I guess. 

Besides by some people's measure, he was a draft success.  I mean, he's still in the NFL four years later.....

Reading comprehension is key.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Actually, I think LT might be a higher priority than QB.  If you have at least a top 15 QB, you can draft a team around him to make up for the lack of elite talent at QB.

OTOH, I think you need top 10 talent at LT.  No way to make up for it.

Both positions are the kind where if a great one is on the board, you don't pass them up.  Problem is, we have needs at both of those positions.

Doug, I get your concern about the LT position. But there is no position even remotely close to the QB in the NFL. Got to have a really good to great one to get to the Promised Land. 

9 hours ago, Hoose said:

Doug, I get your concern about the LT position. But there is no position even remotely close to the QB in the NFL. Got to have a really good to great one to get to the Promised Land. 

I agree.  My comment was looking at it from the view of how a team goes about compensating for less than elite talent at the two positions.  TEN and BALT shows that you can win with defense and a running game if you don't have an elite QB.  There is a strategy for putting together a winning formula if you have a less than elite B.

But there is no way to really compensate for not having an elite LT.  A team just has to suffer with that island player playing less than ideal.  Maybe cut back on the TE patterns to have him help out a lot?  Have a running or mobile QB (as long as he's elite)?  I suppose those are strategies.

Ballard has said multiple times that he wants to focus on the trenches first and foremost.  LT is probably the biggest key to the trenches and with our line it is the only older spot we are needing.  DE is a need as well and something he has drafted or at least added FA's almost every year.  LT is not though so I assume this will be the 1st round draft pick for us this year unless some key guy falls down to us.  I am hopeful that we end up with either Darrisaw, Eichenburg, or Leatherwood.  Leatherwood has been a stud over multiple years for Alabama who runs a pro style offense and could fit in for us very quick IMO.  Eichenberg also has good experience in running a pro style as well.  Radunz looks good but the competition level scares me away from a first round pick.

12 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Ballard has said multiple times that he wants to focus on the trenches first and foremost.  LT is probably the biggest key to the trenches and with our line it is the only older spot we are needing.  DE is a need as well and something he has drafted or at least added FA's almost every year.  LT is not though so I assume this will be the 1st round draft pick for us this year unless some key guy falls down to us.  I am hopeful that we end up with either Darrisaw, Eichenburg, or Leatherwood.  Leatherwood has been a stud over multiple years for Alabama who runs a pro style offense and could fit in for us very quick IMO.  Eichenberg also has good experience in running a pro style as well.  Radunz looks good but the competition level scares me away from a first round pick.

I like Eichenberg too. But alot of people think Leatherwood might be better suited to move to G rather then stay at tackle. 

14 minutes ago, NorthernColt said:

I like Eichenberg too. But alot of people think Leatherwood might be better suited to move to G rather then stay at tackle. 

At 6'6" I think he will be fine at tackle.  Not sure about his arm length but to me based on his college career and the level of competition that they play he has looked just fine at LT.  Every year this happens with players though.  Experts claim they would be better at this or that and sometimes it happens other times not.  It will be interesting to see though.  I have also seen Leatherwood drop into the second round of mocks which again could be because of what you said but still to early to tell.

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

So is writing composition. 

Why would Clark being one of the worst draftees of somebody else 4 years ago have any relevance to why he started Sunday?

It doesn’t. I only brought it up to point out how bad he was. Grigson notoriously drafted terrible players. The fact that Clark may possibly be the worst player out of the bunch, means he’s really terrible. That’s all I meant by it.

You read too much into into it.

38 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

It doesn’t. I only brought it up to point out how bad he was. Grigson notoriously drafted terrible players. The fact that Clark may possibly be the worst player out of the bunch, means he’s really terrible. That’s all I meant by it.

You read too much into into it.

Ok, but he's played better before.  I assume that's why he's still here.

Apparently, we got run over by TEN despite them starting a third string LT.  Maybe we need to sign that guy at some point.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

Ok, but he's played better before.  I assume that's why he's still here.

Apparently, we got run over by TEN despite them starting a third string LT.  Maybe we need to sign that guy at some point.

I couldn’t really tell you why he’s still here, so we can go with that. The point is that even if Castonzo is back, LT needs to be drafted high because the backup situation has to be better. Clark can not be on this roster next year.

53 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Was surprised when they let Haeg (sp) walk and kept Clark. Haeg wasn't great but far better than Clark from my untrained eyes. We must draft a LT early.

Yeah, I didn't understand that move either.  And Haeg had great versatility. 

Sometimes its about the player wanting to leave, and he probably wanted to go to Tampa to get the opportunity to pursue starters money at some point.  Figured with Smith and Nelson, he'd always be a backup here.

On 12/2/2020 at 7:07 AM, NorthernColt said:

My realistic LT puck is Cosmi. Great athlete, moves well, but also likes to finish like Nelson at times.

A couple of analysts think he will fall to the late first round or early second unless he has a great combine because the tape shows he would play better at RT.

Haven't seen much of him myself. I will have to take a look to see if I agree.

On 12/2/2020 at 3:54 PM, DougDew said:

Yeah, I didn't understand that move either.  And Haeg had great versatility. 

Sometimes its about the player wanting to leave, and he probably wanted to go to Tampa to get the opportunity to pursue starters money at some point.  Figured with Smith and Nelson, he'd always be a backup here.

I think this was exactly why Haeg left. He was given a chance to start. IIRC, he was beaten out for the starter job and is, once again, a jack of all trades backup. 

Here is my updated version of a Colts Mock Draft I would love...

I have us picking somewhere between 18-25.

1 - OT Christian Darrisaw - VT

2 - DE Aiden Hutchinson - Michigan

3 - WR AmonRa St. Brown - USC

4 - CB Marco Wilson - Florida

5 - OT Tyler Vrabel - Boston College

6 - TE Jeremy Ruckert - Ohio State

7 - WR Amari Rodgers - Clemson

14 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Here is my updated version of a Colts Mock Draft I would love...

I have us picking somewhere between 18-25.

1 - OT Christian Darrisaw - VT

2 - DE Aiden Hutchinson - Michigan

3 - WR AmonRa St. Brown - USC

4 - CB Marco Wilson - Florida

5 - OT Tyler Vrabel - Boston College

6 - TE Jeremy Ruckert - Ohio State

7 - WR Amari Rodgers - Clemson

Imo:

I don't think Darrisaw, St. Brown or Rodgers will be there, where you have them slotted. I also feel like Hutchinson is more of  3-4 DE than a 4-3 DE.

On 12/9/2020 at 7:36 AM, NorthernColt said:

Imo:

I don't think Darrisaw, St. Brown or Rodgers will be there, where you have them slotted. I also feel like Hutchinson is more of  3-4 DE than a 4-3 DE.

I don’t know who will land where, however, I do not want to draft players with all these attributes who seem to fit 3-4 defenses better. If we are going to take swings at potential players with upside playing in other types of defenses, let those be in the 4th round or lower.

We must get a LT who can play in 2022 as a solid starter. We must get a DE who can get to the passer and stay healthy. We really need another CB but could get by I feel if we get an end rusher. 

i also feel like we are going to get by on wr if they come back healthy next season and Rivers comes back or the miracle happens and Eason is absolutely game ready at the start of training camp. I think it’s Rivers one more year and that will help his knowledge of the system and players as well. I just don’t think CB took a high prospect with the 4th round pick expecting to play him for at least one full season and likely two. I do not see the team taking a QB in the first two days of the draft. Just a feeling, could be gas idk lol. 

I don’t see the Colts taking a LT in the first.   Because that guy simply isn’t going to play much.  AC on one side, nonsense on the other.

So I think a DE far more likely in the first.  I see a LT being taken in the second.   We might be picking around 55 or so in that round.   Look for someone with tools that we can develop his rookie year.   Hard to see Ballard using a first round pick on a guy who is mostly going to get a redshirt rookie year.  A second rounder seems far more likely. 

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t see the Colts taking a LT in the first.   Because that guy simply isn’t going to play much.  AC on one side, nonsense on the other.

So I think a DE far more likely in the first.  I see a LT being taken in the second.   We might be picking around 55 or so in that round.   Look for someone with tools that we can develop his rookie year.   Hard to see Ballard using a first round pick on a guy who is mostly going to get a redshirt rookie year.  A second rounder seems far more likely. 

Apparently, I didn’t proof read this very well.

Somehow, the initials for Brady Smith got changed to “nonsense”.   Just an observation. 

11 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Imo I think there definitely is a possibility we take an LT, as from what I've seen, its a top heavy tackle class, not alot of depth at all. Maybe 4 or 5.

2 hours ago, NorthernColt said:

Imo I think there definitely is a possibility we take an LT, as from what I've seen, its a top heavy tackle class, not alot of depth at all. Maybe 4 or 5.

And DE is extremely deep this way. Early rankings and mock draft are showing that so far only Kwitty Paye and Rosseau are locks to go in the first round. The other guys floating around seem to be Ossai and Ojulari

As it stands, you have a better chance of getting a quality LT in the first and a quality DE in the 2nd than vice versa. 

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another mock updated with the Colts just barely missing the playoffs...

Ballard trades 2nd round pick to Miami, moving down 5 spots and picking up an extra 4th.

Round 1 Pick 18: Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State
Round 2 Pick 23 (MIA): Liam Eichenberg, OT, Notre Dame
Round 3 Pick 17: AmonRa St Brown, WR, USC
Round 4 Pick 18: Aiden Hutchinson, DE, Michigan
Round 4 Pick 23 (MIA): Myjai Sanders, DE, Cincinnati
Round 5 Pick 18: Tyler Vrabel, OT, Boston College
Round 6 Pick 18: Jeremy Ruckert, TE, Ohio State
Round 7 Pick 18: Jordyn Peters, CB, Auburn 

On 12/1/2020 at 11:20 AM, Defjamz26 said:

Sure. Lets draft another Oline men high and give Ballard credit for building the trenches. They have enuff assets in the Oline. Lets draft one in the lower rounds and develop him. All I hear is that Nelson is a generational talent. Therefore, the Colts should be able to put a lesser talented LT beside him, cause Nelson will cover up the warts. If they cant do that then why sign a guard to 20 million a year? 

11 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Sure. Lets draft another Oline men high and give Ballard credit for building the trenches. They have enuff assets in the Oline. Lets draft one in the lower rounds and develop him. All I hear is that Nelson is a generational talent. Therefore, the Colts should be able to put a lesser talented LT beside him, cause Nelson will cover up the warts. If they cant do that then why sign a guard to 20 million a year? 

You remember what happens to a QB, no matter how good when they have a bad OL right?  I think we had some guy named Luck. 

No matter how good a Guard is, they can't completely help the LT on every play, especially when we're seeing the interior rushes these days like Buckner, Donald, Jones etc. I'm not saying reach for an LT, but if theres one there you like, take him and don't look back.

Good LT's are harder to find then QB's these days.

On 1/1/2021 at 11:37 PM, Moosejawcolt said:

But you’ve seen what has happened when we’ve put lesser talents at LT. Clark was drafted in the 3rd and we tried to develop him and look what happened? Having an elite LT is important, and you typically find those within the first 2 rounds.

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

But you’ve seen what has happened when we’ve put lesser talents at LT. Clark was drafted in the 3rd and we tried to develop him and look what happened? Having an elite LT is important, and you typically find those within the first 2 rounds.

Lesser talent? I would call Clark that. He is atrocious. I just think maybe they can dip into the 2nd or 3rd to get a LT. I think this team needs a man corner bad. DE can wait if we sign Houston and we still have Autry I believe under contract

Archived