Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Idea with RYS

TimetobringDfence!

Just for the record, I'm not on board the RYS bashing train.  I think its a tough position to play, especially with the way the refs call it.

Maybe take a page from the Dungy book and play only a couple of defensive alignments rather than asking a young corner to be a zone corner one play and a man corner the next?  (I have not studied that, but that's sort of why we drafted him, to do multiple things depending upon what situational package we want to run on any given play.)

26 minutes ago, IndyD4U said:

Willis > Ya-Sin 

LOL, not even close. Willis is playing the least demanding DB position on the team, while rock is playing the one of the toughest. Skill sets and measurements aren't even close either. 

12 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Just for the record, I'm not on board the RYS bashing train.  I think its a tough position to play, especially with the way the refs call it.

Maybe take a page from the Dungy book and play only a couple of defensive alignments rather than asking a young corner to be a zone corner one play and a man corner the next?  (I have not studied that, but that's sort of why we drafted him, to do multiple things depending upon what situational package we want to run on any given play.)

I'd add that are D looks to have gotten even more complex this year. I'd love to see the scheme breakdown (I don't think it's tracked anywhere), but it appears we're doing more rip/liz too. But yes, I think our complexity this year has led to struggles from a few, including RYS and Oke. The LBs in general look to be out of position a lot when responsible for handoffs of WRs coming in. I think Oke's and RYS's PFF is like 40... Oke's was 70s last year, and RYS's was top 10 the second half of 2019.

31 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I think Rock could make a better safety than CB. He tackles well and can catch. I think he could compete with Willis to line up with Blackmon... Any thoughts?

As above, I'd like to see them simplify a bit, or get back to whatever they were doing the 2nd half of last season when Rock was top 10 in the league in PFF, and Oke was in the 70s.

I do agree though, that Rock would make a great SS. He'd likely make a good FS too.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

LOL, not even close. Willis is playing the least demanding DB position on the team, while rock is playing the one of the toughest. Skill sets and measurements aren't even close either. 

I'd add that are D looks to have gotten even more complex this year. I'd love to see the scheme breakdown (I don't think it's tracked anywhere), but it appears we're doing more rip/liz too. But yes, I think our complexity this year has led to struggles from a few, including RYS and Oke. The LBs in general look to be out of position a lot when responsible for handoffs of WRs coming in. I think Oke's and RYS's PFF is like 40... Oke's was 70s last year, and RYS's was top 10 the second half of 2019.

As above, I'd like to see them simplify a bit, or get back to whatever they were doing the 2nd half of last season when Rock was top 10 in the league in PFF, and Oke was in the 70s.

I do agree though, that Rock would make a great SS. He'd likely make a good FS too.

He reminds me of a healthy Hooker the way he can close in on a ball, and even better tackler.

I don’t know why RYS has regressed this year.   All I know is that last year, as a rookie, he had two different seasons.  The first half when he was terrible, and the second half when Rock was very good.  

So since he’s been good before, I’m confident he can be good again.  Will it be this year?  Don’t know.   Next year?   Sure hope so.  

But I still believe in him. 

2 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

He reminds me of a healthy Hooker the way he can close in on a ball, and even better tackler.

Yep. Hooker was never a physical guy. He was a closer/lurker. Hooker was probably faster in the 40 (he didn't do the combine), but I doubt by much. Rock was a man corner switching schemes/schools, then coming to a zone team. I'm sure he could handle either S position. Blackmon switched to S at Utah after being horrible at CB. Blackmon didn't do the combine either, but his earlier camps were a tad slower than Rock's. 

I would say that RYS has shown a little step back but teams have not thrown at Rhodes as much as they have Ya-Sin.  Teams will pick on him making it look worse than it is.  That being said, he is an all-state champion wrestler and not a long tenured football player.  He will take time at the position because he is used to grabbing and tying up (wrestling background) versus anything else.  Ballard drafted the athlete with promise but that is not going to be a two year deal.  He will be another year or two in my eyes, if he ever fully develops.  I still love his potential.

8 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I would say that RYS has shown a little step back but teams have not thrown at Rhodes as much as they have Ya-Sin.  Teams will pick on him making it look worse than it is.  That being said, he is an all-state champion wrestler and not a long tenured football player.  He will take time at the position because he is used to grabbing and tying up (wrestling background) versus anything else.  Ballard drafted the athlete with promise but that is not going to be a two year deal.  He will be another year or two in my eyes, if he ever fully develops.  I still love his potential.

That type of stuff is nearly impossible to coach out of someone. Generally speaking players are who they are in college. QBs who turn the ball over in college, tend to do the same in the pros (Winston). Receivers who drop passes in college tend to drop passes in the NFL (Sammy Coates, Eric Ebron).

It’s been 2 years, he is who he is at this point. You can’t simply coach that out of him. It’s a mentality and part of his game. You see why he grabs too. When he doesn’t he almost always gets beat. He got beat by Brown on that TD play and then started grabbing and putting his hands in the receivers face mask so he wouldn’t get beat.

Also the whole young and needing growth thing goes out the window when you’re a starter in your second year. He’s a pro now and he’ll be treated as such. That’s why he got benched.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

That type of stuff is nearly impossible to coach out of someone. Generally speaking players are who they are in college. QBs who turn the ball over in college, tend to do the same in the pros (Winston). Receivers who drop passes in college tend to drop passes in the NFL (Sammy Coates, Eric Ebron).

It’s been 2 years, he is who he is at this point. You can’t simply coach that out of him. It’s a mentality and part of his game. You see why he grabs too. When he doesn’t he almost always gets beat. He got beat by Brown on that TD play and then started grabbing and putting his hands in the receivers face mask so he wouldn’t get beat.

Also the whole young and needing growth thing goes out the window when you’re a starter in your second year. He’s a pro now and he’ll be treated as such. That’s why he got benched.

I would completely disagree with everything you say.  Two years and saying he is who he is after a short lived football life is completely wrong.  Comparing him to players (Winston) who played since they were 5 is a bad comparison.  Look at Mo Allie-Cox as a better example.  He looks a lot better now this year.  Why? Because he has had time to adjust to football versus basketball.

Can the wrestling be coached out of Ya-Sin, no probably not.  You don't have to though.  He is a natural athlete and competitor so he probably wants to learn or he would not be starting.  Some players take time, yes time, which is more than just a two year time stamp.

9 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

I would completely disagree with everything you say.  Two years and saying he is who he is after a short lived football life is completely wrong.  Comparing him to players (Winston) who played since they were 5 is a bad comparison.  Look at Mo Allie-Cox as a better example.  He looks a lot better now this year.  Why? Because he has had time to adjust to football versus basketball.

Can the wrestling be coached out of Ya-Sin, no probably not.  You don't have to though.  He is a natural athlete and competitor so he probably wants to learn or he would not be starting.  Some players take time, yes time, which is more than just a two year time stamp.

Most analysts will tell you that you have an idea of how good a player will be by their second year because the biggest jump a player makes is between year 1 and 2. Rock hasn’t made any jump and you can cry and blame Covid all you want but DK Metcalf, Jamel Dean (who is also a CB), Kyler Murray, and others would all probably have something to say about that.

He’s commuting the same penalties at almost the same frequency. He’s got the same number of DPIs as he did last year. He’s also got 6 total penalties which is only 2 away from the total he had last year. Also the 3 PIs he had came in 3 consecutive weeks. You keep talking about learning and developing but he’s literally not learning week to week, series to series (2 penalties on the same drive against Tennessee), or year to year? Literally where is the growth? Where are the signs he’s learning? He’s out here suplexing RBs.

And Moe Alice-Cox? What has he developed into? A subpar TE with one great game. Nothing to write  home about. It’s a good story nothing else. It’s not like he went from UDFA basketball player to a top 15 TE. 

Clearly you must not have learned from TJ Green or Bjoern Werner.

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don't know much about Rock's history, but if he does not have a strong football background and is another one of those "athletes who can be molded into a football player", then picking him in the high second round was way too high.

What I read was that he had a strong starting CB background at Temple.  Lots of experience and production.  He was from a small school but he stood out and was part of the reason his team was competitive.  A low first round grade.  Maybe I read it wrong.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't know much about Rock's history, but if he does not have a strong football background and is another one of those "athletes who can be molded into a football player", then picking him in the high second round was way too high.

What I read was that he had a strong starting CB background at Temple.  Lots of experience and production.  He was from a small school but he stood out and was part of the reason his team was competitive.  A low first round grade.  Maybe I read it wrong.

B/R had him as a 2nd round pick

Draft Network had him as a 4th rounder

38 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Most analysts will tell you that you have an idea of how good a player will be by their second year because the biggest jump a player makes is between year 1 and 2. Rock hasn’t made any jump and you can cry and blame Covid all you want but DK Metcalf, Jamel Dean (who is also a CB), Kyler Murray, and others would all probably have something to say about that.

He’s commuting the same penalties at almost the same frequency. He’s got the same number of DPIs as he did last year. He’s also got 6 total penalties which is only 2 away from the total he had last year. Also the 3 PIs he had came in 3 consecutive weeks. You keep talking about learning and developing but he’s literally not learning week to week, series to series (2 penalties on the same drive against Tennessee), or year to year? Literally where is the growth? Where are the signs he’s learning? He’s out here suplexing RBs.

And Moe Alice-Cox? What has he developed into? A subpar TE with one great game. Nothing to write  home about. It’s a good story nothing else. It’s not like he went from UDFA basketball player to a top 15 TE. 

Clearly you must not have learned from TJ Green or Bjoern Werner.

To your first point, I am not saying that Rock should have improved over his first two years.  Being drafted high and having a high grade placed upon him that is something you absolutely expect.  I am saying that based on your two year model some players are different.  I am saying that in my eyes Rock is different because of his smaller football background compared to many others.  

As far as his stats this year compared to last, penalties are something to get use to while he is being targeted much higher than the others (Rhodes and Moore for easy comparison).  Again, this is something I see as "fixable" still.  I have never blamed covid as you mentioned but having a drastically different off-season can effect some but I will not say that is a massive impact with this. Now mentioning Green or Werner, that is being over dramatic in my eyes.  Green was over drafted and Werner was an all-around terrible fit, plus I think Grigson was terrible at his job while here.

Mo Allie-Cox is an UDFA that has made an NFL team and shows good promise at TE.  He doesn't need to be top 15 to show my point of growing in the NFL with limited football experience.  He has grown at blocking and becoming a pass catcher.  He will remain a TE for us next year and hopefully continues to show growth.

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

B/R had him as a 2nd round pick

Draft Network had him as a 4th rounder

Yeah, its just one analysts opinion, but he seems to have nailed what we have seen with RYS already.  The other analysts opinion on DN also identify similar things (notably poor footwork, which explains getting beat and grabbing).  And he had only one year of CB experience at the FBS level.  A transfer from FCS-now-DII Presbyterian, 

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/rock-ya-sin

And not a real strong summary, but maybe accurate:

If he can avoid being a penalty machine and keep from getting matched up against the speedier receivers in the league, Ya-Sin has a shot to be a strong no. 2 outside cornerback in a press-man scheme at the next level. His effort and intensity will impress coaches, especially given how he defends the run, but his mediocre-at-best athletic testing is definitely pause-worthy, especially given the level of competition he faced in his one season at the FBS level.

1 hour ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

^ yes to that scouting report, at least in terms of his footwork and play speed/athleticism.

I always saw scouting reports praising his  “fluid hips” and his strength, etc. But his footwork, agility/change of direction, and speed seem so lacking.

So let me get this straight.  He's not particularly athletic for the position, nor fast for the position, and he has one year of experience at the FBS level, and its at Temple.

And he's worth pick 34? 

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

So let me get this straight.  He's not particularly athletic for the position, nor fast for the position, and he has one year of experience at the FBS level, and its at Temple.

And he's worth pick 34? 

He was generally thought of as someone who had a had a lot of upside.  He was tough (single digit Temple jersey), could mix it up, and had a shot at getting better.

Also gotta remember, he has the proper traits for a Tampa 2 corner.  You don't need to be the fastest, but you do need to know how to play zone, be smart, and above all be able to make the tackle on your own without help.  Straight out of the Ronde Barber school of cornerbacking.  That's the reason why we drafted him.  And the reason why we did it at #34.

But he definitely needs to pick it up.  He's gonna keep getting picked on until he stops them from picking on him.

34 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

He was generally thought of as someone who had a had a lot of upside.  He was tough (single digit Temple jersey), could mix it up, and had a shot at getting better.

Also gotta remember, he has the proper traits for a Tampa 2 corner.  You don't need to be the fastest, but you do need to know how to play zone, be smart, and above all be able to make the tackle on your own without help.  Straight out of the Ronde Barber school of cornerbacking.  That's the reason why we drafted him.  And the reason why we did it at #34.

But he definitely needs to pick it up.  He's gonna keep getting picked on until he stops them from picking on him.

Yes, I know. Since he doesn't have press man athleticism or traits, zone corners can be drafted later than 34.  That's part of the reason to play the zone 43, it takes less expensive players than a 34,including the lack of a deep ball hawk since the Ss are supposed to be playing a bit back anyway (depending upon coverage).  He appears to have been drafted on what he could be if things worked out a bit more than what he actually showed that he was at the time.  I don't think he played zone at Temple, so how he would play in that scheme was also a projection.  

Dungy probably would have waited 15 to 25 picks later to draft him.  JMO.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes, I know. Since he doesn't have press man athleticism or traits, zone corners can be drafted later than 34.  That's part of the reason to play the zone 43, it takes less expensive players than a 34,including the lack of a deep ball hawk since the Ss are supposed to be playing a bit back anyway (depending upon coverage).  He appears to have been drafted on what he could be if things worked out a bit more than what he actually showed that he was at the time.  I don't think he played zone at Temple, so how he would play in that scheme was also a projection.  

Dungy probably would have waited 15 to 25 picks later to draft him.  JMO.

Yup.  In fact, Dungy drafted Barber in the 3rd round, 66th overall!

Well, @DougDew, since we're comparing RYS and Ronde Barber, let's compare them!

Ronde's rookie season 1997 - appeared in only 1 game and got 4 tackles

RYS rookie season 2019 - started 13 of 15 games, 1 INT, 5 passes defended, 62 combined tackles, 54 solo tackles

Ronde's 2nd season 1998 - started 9 of 16 games, 2 INT's, 0 passes defended, 3 sacks, 70 combined tackles, 59 solo tackles, 2 forced fumbles

RYS 2nd season 2020 (so far) - started 6 of 9 games, 1 INT, 5 passes defended, 34 combined tackles, 27 solo tackles, 1 forced fumble

Ronde's 3rd season 1999 - started 15 of 16 games, 2 INT's, 18 passes defended, 78 combined tackles, 62 solo tackles, 1 sack

Seems to me, from a pure comparative stats point of view, that if RYS can put together his 3rd season next year like Ronde did, he may turn out to be fine.  He's got the solo tackles thing down.  It's the passes defended number that needs to come up.  Let's hope he figures it out!

1 minute ago, John Hammonds said:

RYS rookie season 2019 - started 13 of 15 games, 1 INT, 5 passes defended, 62 combined tackles, 54 solo tackles

Ronde's 2nd season 1998 - started 9 of 16 games, 2 INT's, 0 passes defended, 3 sacks, 70 combined tackles, 59 solo tackles, 2 forced fumbles

RYS 2nd season 2020 (so far) - started 6 of 9 games, 1 INT, 5 passes defended, 34 combined tackles, 27 solo tackles, 1 forced fumble

Ronde's 3rd season 1999 - started 15 of 16 games, 2 INT's, 18 passes defended, 78 combined tackles, 62 solo tackles, 1 sack

Seems to me, from a pure comparative stats point of view, that if RYS can put together his 3rd season next year like Ronde did, he may turn out to be fine.  Let's hope he figures it out!

As I said earlier, I'm not on the RYS bashing train.  I don't think he's been that bad.   My subsequent comments focused more about where he was drafted.  

So if things work out next year, we would have spent pick 34 to get the same level of production Dungy spent pick 66 to get. 

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t know why RYS has regressed this year.   All I know is that last year, as a rookie, he had two different seasons.  The first half when he was terrible, and the second half when Rock was very good.  

So since he’s been good before, I’m confident he can be good again.  Will it be this year?  Don’t know.   Next year?   Sure hope so.  

But I still believe in him. 

Part of the problem is that Eberflus doesn’t alter his scheme to match his players. Either players fit or they don’t, and the D relies on the players fitting to work. Overall this is fine, as guys like Buckner, Autry, Grover, Leonard, Okereke, and Blackmon fit, but Rock does not.

Ironically this is the exact opposite of the way Frank and Nick run the O, which is much more tailored to the players

51 minutes ago, Douzer said:

Oven mitts!

Get him a custom pair for practice. Tape them on. He'll still be able to use his hands, but he won't be able to hold.

No, I'm not kidding...

Reminds me of how Chris Collinsworth took ballet lessons when he played to be a better WR. Unconventional methods can definitely work if implemented properly.

In high school I played goalie in lacrosse; the goalie coach would pelt us in the legs and arms with tennis balls (lot softer than real lacrosse balls, which are literally solid chunks of rubber) at our first practices while we were working in the goal to break the fear of getting hit by the ball, that way when later practices and game time rolled around your instincts were to stop the ball, not shy away from it at the fear of the pain of being hit. It worked, although it was painful when you got hit with the real things lol

3 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

Part of the problem is that Eberflus doesn’t alter his scheme to match his players. Either players fit or they don’t, and the D relies on the players fitting to work. Overall this is fine, as guys like Buckner, Autry, Grover, Leonard, Okereke, and Blackmon fit, but Rock does not.

Ironically this is the exact opposite of the way Frank and Nick run the O, which is much more tailored to the players

Having read a little more about him which has been prompted by this thread, he appears to have the makeup of a strictly zone corner, probably the second best outside corner on the team, but maybe the first.

Where he's getting burned is when he's asked to go man...deep.  He gets grabby and PI.  

I may not be an expert, but I don't think a corner with zone CB skills should be asked to single cover deep.  That's not a good fit.

So he may be just fine if Flus would just play the simple zone schemes and stop trying to change up roles and responsibilities nearly every play.  And put him on the second fastest receiver and not the fastest.

5 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Every year there are those 2-4 players that just get a crazy hype train behind them by the media. And these analysts love the “tough” guys who are scrappy and not afraid to talk a little smack. People oversell all that physical, tough, and swagger stuff and you end up with guys like Rock Ya-Sin being way over-drafted and overhyped. People here are more in love with the idea of Ya-Sin than the player he actually is and will probably be. He’s the corner you want from a character and demeanor stand point, but doesn’t have the athleticism or skill to match. Take a look at his combine number. His 3-cone was terrible. People mock DK for his and his was better and he’s 6’4”.

Ive seen this movie before on this board. There’s always a player here who people love the idea of so much, that it’s hard for them to admit when they were sold a dream. This was the board with TJ Green, Quincy Wilson, Donte Moncrief, Phillip Dorsett (although there were a lot more people who hated that pick from the jump), etc... the list goes on. Rock is the latest dream sold to the fan base. He has all the makings and is following the same trajectory the aforementioned players followed. He gets the same excuses made in his defense. This board has been like this ever since the Jerry Hughes situation. 

4 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

Seems to me, from a pure comparative stats point of view, that if RYS can put together his 3rd season next year like Ronde did, he may turn out to be fine.  He's got the solo tackles thing down.  It's the passes defended number that needs to come up.  Let's hope he figures it out!

Yo you guys kill me when you do this justification by comparison thing lol. 

On 11/30/2020 at 11:44 PM, TimetobringDfence! said:

Lay off Willis!!! The kid gets the job done!  If anyone thinks ss is "least demanding " db position, they've no idea what the position entails.  Get real!!!

26 minutes ago, Gdlyons said:

Lay off Willis!!! The kid gets the job done!  If anyone thinks ss is "least demanding " db position, they've no idea what the position entails.  Get real!!!

He’s good against the run but he does leave something to be desired in pass coverage at times.  See the long brown TD last week.  With that said I don’t endorse the idea of replacing him.

Just now, TimetobringDfence! said:

Never said Willis isn't good, Rock has safety traits and could create healthy competition. Iron sharpens Iron.

Safety tend to get to play the ball in the air better from their positioning on the field. Rock would be less likely to have to hand battle and race WRs and could have eyes on the ball to make better plays. That pick he had the other week was a closing speed like a safety gets.

One thing I noticed was, he gets beat by the double-move. Happened at least twice, last week.

The problem with “analyzing” the play of an outside corner is we don’t notice good play as much as the times he gets burnt. Two bad plays in a game and all of a sudden, he’s a disaster. 
     It was obvious both the Packers and Titans were going after him but with the coaching staff’s emphasis on technique, maybe we’ll see an improvement. 

Archived