Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Inside Football Podcast with Bill Polian

aReggie7

I recently came across Inside Football Podcast with Bill Polian. (never thought he would have a podcast) Not sure if it's been brought up before but figured it was worth highlighting.

https://insidefootballpodcast.com/

The episodes are pretty long but I think they are a good listen. Plenty of Colts talk in the podcast but it's a good listen for any NFL fan.

After pulling the plug on our undefeated season and a chance at football immortality, I lost all respect for Bill Polian and I no longer have the  tolerance to listen to his arrogance...  With all of the stars we had during the Manning era plus a very like able head coach, I still hate the fact that we had to listen to our arrogant, know it all GM every week after games...  I’ll pass on listening to him ever again and let you guys pick out anything worth noting & check for it here. 

8 hours ago, Smoke317 said:

After pulling the plug on our undefeated season and a chance at football immortality, I lost all respect for Bill Polian and I no longer have the  tolerance to listen to his arrogance...  With all of the stars we had during the Manning era plus a very like able head coach, I still hate the fact that we had to listen to our arrogant, know it all GM every week after games...  I’ll pass on listening to him ever again and let you guys pick out anything worth noting & check for it here. 

Seriously?

Man, I have almost the exact opposite opinion.  I loved listening to Bill Polian talk about our team.  He was refreshingly candid.  And his insights were usually fantastic.  It’s no wonder that he made it to Canton.

Maybe its not fair to hold it against Bill (but I do) that his son was given a GM job with the Colts. He was given it via good ol' nepotism and that drives me crazy. Its the same thing with ESPN outlets and the way they hire people (also why I stopped listening/viewing them). I try not to be a hater but this has always been a sore subject with me.

2 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Seriously?

Man, I have almost the exact opposite opinion.  I loved listening to Bill Polian talk about our team.  He was refreshingly candid.  And his insights were usually fantastic.  It’s no wonder that he made it to Canton.

Yeah, I never got the vibe of arrogance.  I mean, he didn't have much tolerance for stupid local reporters, but that was well placed and not arrogance, IMO.  There's not enough time to be cordial to everyone, so he just has to treat the types that can't hang with him appropriately. 

He was always cordial to fans, but you knew deep down he knew that most fans don't know stuff.

On 12/1/2020 at 7:44 AM, Mitch Connors said:

Maybe its not fair to hold it against Bill (but I do) that his son was given a GM job with the Colts. He was given it via good ol' nepotism and that drives me crazy. Its the same thing with ESPN outlets and the way they hire people (also why I stopped listening/viewing them). I try not to be a hater but this has always been a sore subject with me.

Isn’t that more of a gripe with Irsay?

We don’t know what kinds of discussions took place behind closed doors.  Maybe BP lobbied on behalf of his son.  Maybe it was Irsay’s idea.

But one thing we do know is that hiring Polian the Younger was ultimately Irsay’s call.

On 12/1/2020 at 4:37 AM, luv_pony_express said:

Seriously?

I’d add one thing to your very good post.

He made it to Canton on the first ballot!

You may find a GM who you think is as good, but it’s highly doubtful you’ll find one who is better.  

Just my two cents, and it may not even be worth that much!     :thmup:

On 12/1/2020 at 8:44 AM, Mitch Connors said:

I will give Irsay some responsibility for letting Polian put Chris in as the GM. 

Irsay should have kept a better eye on things rather then letting Polian have full rein. 

3 hours ago, luv_pony_express said:

Isn’t that more of a gripe with Irsay?

We don’t know what kinds of discussions took place behind closed doors.  Maybe BP lobbied on behalf of his son.  Maybe it was Irsay’s idea.

But one thing we do know is that hiring Polian the Younger was ultimately Irsay’s call.

Regardless of whose idea it was that move doesn’t happen without Irsay’s okay so your point is very good.  

It’s no secret Irsay wanted smooth transitions with a line of succession to keep continuity going like they had with Dungy to Caldwell. I know several here will argue Caldwell wasn’t good but he started 14-0 and got to a Super Bowl in his first year and made the playoffs the next.  Up to that point Irsay would have said it was working.  So I fully believe Irsay wanted the samething with the Polians.  Also it’s not like Bill went out and just brought Chris in out of nowhere.  He had worked his way up through the draft scout team, not unlike Ballard and most GMs do, and had been groomed for years for that job.  

Lets not forget a few years before this the Falcons explored brining Chris Polian and Jim Caldwell to Atlanta to run that franchise and try to copy what the Colts had done.  That’s why both Chris and Caldwell got title changes in Dungy’s last season.  So the Colts weren’t the only team eyeing Chris for a GM job.  

Now it didn’t work and we have the benefit of hindsight to say the Colts should have never done it but at the time it seemed very logical.  

30 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Regardless of whose idea it was that move doesn’t happen without Irsay’s okay so your point is very good.  

It’s no secret Irsay wanted smooth transitions with a line of succession to keep continuity going like they had with Dungy to Caldwell. I know several here will argue Caldwell wasn’t good but he started 14-0 and got to a Super Bowl in his first year and made the playoffs the next.  Up to that point Irsay would have said it was working.  So I fully believe Irsay wanted the samething with the Polians.  Also it’s not like Bill went out and just brought Chris in out of nowhere.  He had worked his way up through the draft scout team, not unlike Ballard and most GMs do, and had been groomed for years for that job.  

Lets not forget a few years before this the Falcons explored brining Chris Polian and Jim Caldwell to Atlanta to run that franchise and try to copy what the Colts had done.  That’s why both Chris and Caldwell got title changes in Dungy’s last season.  So the Colts weren’t the only team eyeing Chris for a GM job.  

Now it didn’t work and we have the benefit of hindsight to say the Colts should have never done it but at the time it seemed very logical.  

Good post. 

And the thing blew up because of a neck surgery, BP failing to get a backup QB, and us getting the first pick in the draft the year the best prospect since John Elway declares for the draft. 

As Irsay said when he was crying at that press conference with PM at his side, the two talked many ways to figure a way to work it, but "circumstances" was the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

New franchise QB, new legacy with new management.  Maybe Irsay should have simply kept Polians and Caldwell to work with Luck.  Would it have been worse than Grigs and Pagano?

On 11/30/2020 at 5:58 PM, ar7 said:

I recently came across Inside Football Podcast with Bill Polian. (never thought he would have a podcast) Not sure if it's been brought up before but figured it was worth highlighting.

https://insidefootballpodcast.com/

The episodes are pretty long but I think they are a good listen. Plenty of Colts talk in the podcast but it's a good listen for any NFL fan.

Great find.  Been listening at work. Thanks!

Great GM but should've never quit on the perfect season. A chance at a perfect season once you get to 14-0 rarely happens. If my memory serves me correct only 3 teams have been 14-0 or better at that point = 72 Dolphins in a 14 game season, 2007 Pats who went 16-0, and 2015 Panthers started 14-0. Yes it was Polian who pulled the plug in game 15, I live here in Indy and listened to his show the next day. So I know for a fact it was his decision even if Irsay went along with it. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great GM but should've never quit on the perfect season. A chance at a perfect season once you get to 14-0 rarely happens. If my memory serves me correct only 3 teams have been 14-0 or better at that point = 72 Dolphins in a 14 game season, 2007 Pats who went 16-0, and 2015 Panthers started 14-0. Yes it was Polian who pulled the plug in game 15, I live here in Indy and listened to his show the next day. So I know for a fact it was his decision even if Irsay went along with it. 

I might have cared more if they hadn’t lost the Super Bowl and as much as people hate to admit it that was the one year resting the starters worked because the Colts looked fresh and crisp in their first playoff game.  

With that said I understand why so many people didn’t like it.

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I might have cared more if they hadn’t lost the Super Bowl and as much as people hate to admit it that was the one year resting the starters worked because the Colts looked fresh and crisp in their first playoff game.  

I just wonder if it didn't mess with our mojo a little. Yes we went on to beat the Ravens and Jets but had we been 18-0, the SB could've play out differently. Just knowing you have a chance at 19-0 may of might us play a much better game in the SB (be more crisp). We made so many blunders, especially on SP Teams with the miss FG by Stover and the onside kick. I just didn't like quitting on something that almost never happens but that is me.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I just wonder if it didn't mess with our mojo a little. Yes we went on to beat the Ravens and Jets but had we been 18-0, the SB could've play out differently. Just knowing you have a chance at 19-0 may of might us play a much better game in the SB (be more crisp). We made so many blunders, especially on SP Teams with the miss FG by Stover and the onside kick. I just didn't like quitting on something that almost never happens but that is me.

Remember, forgiving isn't for the other party, it's for you.

Think about it....

7 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

In order to buy the it messed with their mojo argument you have to over look the fact they played two really good games to get to the Super Bowl and had it just show up in the Super Bowl.  I think the reality is fans didn’t like that they quit and wanted the team to be negatively impacted from it because it makes them feel justified for being mad about it.  The fact that what Polian did got the desired result, in a fresh team ready to for the playoffs, makes it more frustrating with people who completely opposed what the Colts did.  Again I understand why fans don’t like it but the fact they lost the Super Bowl really makes it a moot point.  

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Polian is a great GM as I posted earlier but I thought that team had a real shot at 19-0 so it was a gut punch at the time. 

I get it....but the bolded tells me by your continued interaction.....it's still a gut punch for you. Your choice. 

If every time the discussion comes up, you recite how you feel wronged by it, you're still suffering. My comment was merely a way out of that. Nothing more. Good luck to you.

10 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

I get it....but the bolded tells me by your continued interaction.....it's still a gut punch for you. Your choice. 

If every time the discussion comes up, you recite how you feel wronged by it, you're still suffering. My comment was merely a way out of that. Nothing more. Good luck to you.

I am just a history type of guy and the one thing that we could've had over the Pats and all the other dynasty's is we went 19-0. Yes it still bothers me but I am not mad about it today, that was 11 years ago. Had I been GM I would've went for 16-0 but Polian knows more football than I will ever know. Like I said I think the guy was a great GM, I just think he made a bad decision. The next day on his show he had like 4 or 5 callers call in bashing him and it got to the point that he stopped taking calls. Most people thought it was awful in reality. I think had we been 16-0, we go 19-0 but we will never know. 

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:I am just a history type of guy and the one thing that we could've had over the Pats and all the other dynasty's is we went 19-0. Yes it still bothers me but I am not mad about it today, that was 11 years ago. Had I been GM I would've went for 16-0 but Polian knows more football than I will ever know. Like I said I think the guy was a great GM, I just think he made a bad decision. The next day on his show he had like 4 or 5 callers call in bashing him and it got to the point that he stopped taking calls. Most people thought it was awful in reality. I think had we been 16-0, we go 19-0 but we will never know. 

Nah a game played a month and half before the Super Bowl didn’t cause that loss.  The Saints were the better team that day.  Being 16-0 wasn’t going to change that.

15 minutes ago, IinD said:

All the other blunders aside in the game, DFree not being himself to me is still the main reason we lost. 

Uggh... Gonna go vomit real quick..

That is a great point. We pull all the starters out to not complete the perfect season 'to avoid any injuries', then we have a big lead on the Jets and the game is over but leave Freeney in and he gets injured. Makes no sense.

8 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Wasn't that the playoff game against the Ravens where Manning threw two interceptions to Ed Reed. Reed fumbled one of them back to us and the other was called back because of a penalty.  

The Ravens also had two drives deep into Colts territory that ended up turnovers. One of them was a pick at the two yard line. The other was a fumble by Rice deep in Colts territory. 

Yes we won 20-3 but I don't recall we played all that fresh and clean. 

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wasn't that the playoff game against the Ravens where Manning threw two interceptions to Ed Reed. Reed fumbled one of them back to us and the other was called back because of a penalty.  

The Ravens also had two drives deep into Colts territory that ended up turnovers. One of them was a pick at the two yard line. The other was a fumble by Rice deep in Colts territory. 

Yes we won 20-3 but I don't recall we played all that fresh and clean. 

You mean like Ed Reed was a hall of famer who was the lone raven to make plays in that game?  Also I would consider the defense getting turnovers to end drives and prevent scores an argument for playing well.  That was how that defense played bend but don’t break.   

5 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

You mean like Ed Reed was a hall of famer who was the lone raven to make plays in that game?  Also I would consider the defense getting turnovers to end drives and prevent scores an argument for playing well.  That was how that defense played bend but don’t break.   

I guess you can spin it either way but I still don't think they played all that well. Not even close as to what they were playing for the first 14 games of the season. 

You have to consider what laying down the last 2 games of the season did mentally to the players. A once in a lifetime opportunity thrown away. So much it still is brought up by those involved. 

Look, it's all water under the bridge but it will never go away and will remain the elephant in the room. 

10 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

We were 14-0, then he pulls them at half time of the 15th game.  IIRC, the next game scheduled was an outdoor game in Buffalo in Decemeber.....and sure enough, it was a raging snowstorm in a game that we barely won anyway.

I think Polian may have anticiapted problems in Buffalo that next week and figured the perfect season wasn't worth the risk of injury.

Turns out that Freeney hurt is ankle at some point.

Anyway, I think people forget that the schedule showed that we had a tough outdoor cold-weather game scheduled week 16 in Buffalo.  Just saying that BP may have been playing the odds that we wouldn't go 16-0 anyway, or that he didn't want starters toiling in the weather worn down heading into the playoffs .

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

We were 14-0, then he pulls them at half time of the 15th game.  IIRC, the next game scheduled was an outdoor game in Buffalo in Decemeber.....and sure enough, it was a raging snowstorm in a game that we barely won anyway.

We didn't win that game. Matter of fact we got our butts whipped 30-7 after the Jets beat us 29-15 at home the week before. 

On 11/30/2020 at 10:59 PM, Smoke317 said:

Still salty after all this time.  I love it!  :hat:

Without having yet listened to Polian’s podcast shows at the link, I’d be interested in people posting some of the things he’s been saying about this year’s Colts in his podcasts and discussing that, rather than reading the oh so old rehashing of 2009, as painful as that was AT THE TIME.

19 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

We didn't win that game. Matter of fact we got our butts whipped 30-7 after the Jets beat us 29-15 at home the week before. 

Ok, it was a long time ago, LOL.  I think BP was thinking that Buffalo game would have been tough even if we were at full strength.  The conditions certainly did not favor PM given his history.

And I don't think BP would have ever said anything.  Otherwise it would give some credence to the notion that the Colts and PM were not a foul weather team.  Doesn't mean he didn't believe it.

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

Ok, it was a long time ago, LOL.  I think BP was thinking that Buffalo game would have been tough even if we were at full strength.  The conditions certainly did not favor PM given his history.

And I don't think BP would have ever said anything.  Otherwise it would give some credence to the notion that the Colts and PM were not a foul weather team.  Doesn't mean he didn't believe it.

If he didn't have faith in our team then I had no faith in him. 

It should have been left up to Caldwell. To tell a head coach to sit players and not to make a serious effort to win games is not beneficial nor gratifying to the players nor the fans. 

I want the Colts to win every time they hit the field. 

No matter the outcome, a 100% effort is expected from me.  

"Just win Baby" and "You play to win the game" has always meant something to me as a NFL fan. 

I have no personal issue with those who feel different, it's just not me. 

11 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If he didn't have faith in our team then I had no faith in him. 

It should have been left up to Caldwell. To tell a head coach to sit players and not to make a serious effort to win games is not beneficial nor gratifying to the players nor the fans. 

I want the Colts to win every time they hit the field. 

No matter the outcome, a 100% effort is expected from me.  

"Just win Baby" and "You play to win the game" has always meant something to me as a NFL fan. 

I have no personal issue with those who feel different, it's just not me. 

Oh I agree.  We should have went for the record. 

Its just that in these discussions about it, I don't think we consider the tough Buffalo game the following week.  BP may have thought that pulling the players at half time of the Jets was not really avoiding getting the record because he may have thought we would not get it anyway.   I could see that if he thought we would lose at Buffalo, then there is no reason to keep everybody in the Jets game.  He would have had to explain his reasoning, that we are not a good outdoor bad weather team...which would have contradicted every accusation about the Colts having that problem that he denied for 10 years.

On 12/2/2020 at 5:23 PM, DougDew said:

Good post. 

And the thing blew up because of a neck surgery, BP failing to get a backup QB, and us getting the first pick in the draft the year the best prospect since John Elway declares for the draft. 

As Irsay said when he was crying at that press conference with PM at his side, the two talked many ways to figure a way to work it, but "circumstances" was the 800 pound gorilla in the room.

New franchise QB, new legacy with new management.  Maybe Irsay should have simply kept Polians and Caldwell to work with Luck.  Would it have been worse than Grigs and Pagano?

He was tired of Star Wars numbers. 

And I am glad Polian didn't have a good backup QB, it lead us to having the number 1 draft pick and being able to get Luck. With the way things are going now, we will be stuck in QB purgatory with all of the mediocre results we have been achieving. 

31 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

He was tired of Star Wars numbers. 

And I am glad Polian didn't have a good backup QB, it lead us to having the number 1 draft pick and being able to get Luck. With the way things are going now, we will be stuck in QB purgatory with all of the mediocre results we have been achieving. 

I take it you have no faith in Ballard? 

11 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

I have no judgement of Ballard. He is still in the middle of the process. He has had hits and misses. 

The answer could very well be already on the roster.

While my crystal ball is fogged up, Eason may be the man. .

IMO he has the physical talents, the rest? 

On 12/2/2020 at 5:23 PM, DougDew said:

Good post. 

It would have been difficult for the Polians & Caldwell to improve on Grigs & Pagano's first 3 seasons of 33-15 PLUS 3 Playoff wins and a AFCCG appearance. 

The following 2 seasons of 16-16 and questionable drafting/FA signings is a different story. 

When the Steelers do not pull their starters going for 16-0, Polian's decision will continue to be rehashed here and will still live in infamy. Peyton, as much as he was a field general, was also a good soldier w.r.t coaches, that is lost on a lot of folks. Peyton took it in the chin as much as it probably hurt him to watch Painter from the sidelines.

Then, they go out in a blizzard and get Dallas Clark 100 receptions, whatever Mr.Polian. I remember a caller asking "if the goal is to win a game, how do you justify pulling your best players who give you the best chance to win the game?" and Polian was just evasive about it. I do think Polian's roster inadequacies were covered a lot by Peyton and he did the greatest disservice to Peyton by not letting him go for 16-0.

Both Grigson and Ballard have had better special teams play than Polian's squads and Peyton's field position constantly suffered in the regular season and playoffs thanks to horrendous special teams and we constantly had to win despite bad special teams play. From Dante Hall to Antwan Randle El to Devin Hester to Hank Baskett's muff to Ellis Hobb kick returning in the 38-34 AFCCG we won, I have lost track of all the massive returns/gaffes given up by our special teams squads over Polian's tenure on KR and PR, it was flat out pathetic. The only thing Polian did worth mentioning on special teams was signing AV. 

His biggest calling card was taking care of value positions like pass catchers and pass rushers, that is why we kept winning with Peyton. But when it came to playing teams in the trenches, outside truly one playoff run, we were always outmuscled and outmatched, much like his Bills teams vs Giants, Cowboys and Redskins. Trench play is much better with Ballard too when the starters assembled play. It took John Elway 4 years with Peyton to get to 2 SBs by being willing to play free agency and maximizing Peyton's tenure there. That was with maybe 2 years of prime Peyton level of play being flashed.

#endofrant

Archived