Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Post your game recap and outlook going forward. Here's mine.

The game wasn't exactly a shock due to the missing players, but some of the themes were not what I expected, how about you guys? 

Reason's the game was lost and what's next: 

---------------------------------

1. Rock Ya Sin.  I think Rock is starting to look more like a Draft miss than hit.  They often refer to his wrestling career, and that is never good because it usually comes after a Defensive Hold or Interference.  He really put us in a bind with his first penalty, and drove a stake in our heart when we had them stopped but they got the ball back for a later TD, and arguments could be made it costs us 14 points because it so deflated our team we went into a tailspin and gave up that ridiculous 4th down play setting up the 5th TD.  

2. Loss of poise.  I saw several things, but that horrendous punching and disqualification was so deflating to the teams loss of poise in performance that I wouldn't be disappointed to learn they cut him from the team, though I doubt they have the b*lls.  There should be a near zero tolerance for a role player special teamer to lose his cool that egregiously and cost the team at such a critical time.  

3. Loss of AC/Poor O-Line Depth may be a fatal blow to any post season success.  We have a long long history of failure without our most important lineman.  Even though he isn't what he once was (and it has been clear to me he's playing hurt as much as simple decline has kicked in) the drop off is so dire after him that I think only with significant shuffling can we keep Rivers upright and healthy and have any chance to run an offense not always in crises.  With a poor LT, Rivers one glaring weakness, immobility is amplified 10X.  I will say his quick release saved as many sacks as Mahommes could have scrambled out of, but the difference is he can't possibly complete meaningful attacks with so little time or free space to launch it to an open receiver.  Frankly his performance under that pressure was the most impressive performance I have seen from him all year.  But heroic sack saving isn't effective offense.  This lack o-line  depth has been something MANY here have been pointing not only all season and pre season, but literally going back to last season as well.  And we had MUCH better depth last year than this.  It was my #1 concern entering the season.  It was obvious.  A brilliant GM keeps making this same error.  He admitted his failure to secure a quality O-Line his first year (after many had begged the previous GM to do the same, and I believe that is truly what cost him his job, or at least deserved to).  

Things that were hopeful:

------------------------------

1.   Hines has proven to be a warrior.  He's our most important and reliable offensive weapon, much like the pass catching RBs of River's SD teams.  We should never see another game without him being a key contributor, no different than TN using their RB to do the same.   Everyone knew Hines was the only thing working, but he kept working nonetheless.  Reich needs to stop abandoning our key offensive weapon.  I even loved when they sent him deep.  I think HE could be used much like TY used to be, leading to...

2. TY Hilton FINALLY utilized by Reich and Rivers.  TY still has tremendous value.  We were reminded of that finally.  He still has moves, he can still contribute.  Sure, he's not 24 years old anymore, but he is likely our second best weapon after Hines still.  But Rivers simply has no chemistry with him.  All game he was forcing throws to Pascal, who I like, but they had Pascal 100% locked down.  The few catches he made were 50-50 balls.  

3.  We saw evidence that our TE's are capable.  Why don't we use them, and use them often?  A three headed monster that should be dominating.  I think for us to have success down the stretch, in addition to using Hilton and Hines, our 3 capable TE's need to be all over the place on short to medium routes using their size and capable hands.  We saw late (too late sadly) that they were playing.  It was almost like they weren't through 3 quarters.  Sure, TN had backed up coverage, but dang, those guys have skills and can be hit quickly.  

4. Brissett has been used well in short yardage.  I am glad they are building on this.  Even his relative slowness, he looks like a lightning bolt compared to Rivers.  I do think they need to show some short yardage passing so they keep defenses honest helping his future sneaks.  

5. Pinter was serviceable compared to LT options.  I hope our center comes back and finishes the season, but Pinter at least showed a little depth at G/C.  

What to do in the future now that winning the division is reasonably out of reach;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The line woes will continue to be a problem.  Depth is simply unacceptable.  I think if AC is lost for the season that we need to rethink positions, such as whether Smith could move to LT and perhaps use Pinter at RT?  I know he has "short arms" for Pro T play, but he has to be better than the other options.  I think they should strongly alter our game plans to account for lesser line e play.  Rivers didn't have time to let route develop, and with no mobility, they are going to have to improve our tepid screen play and conduct more short routes for multiple TE's in 2 TE sets.  Rivers has to be able to get the ball out quick.  I do think the play calling the past 4 weeks had improved, but something happened this game and we were just too limited until late in the game when they were hitting TEs and TY.   More please.  

2. Our D should get back in line with the return of the Covid players.  I like the second half adjustments the D is making but why aren't we making these adjustments in the first half.  35 points is too much and the penalties are devastating.  Is it time to play Carrie instead of Ya Sin?  I think they should seriously consider demoting him for back ups.  He's just too much of a liability.  Perhaps if he came in off the bench we could get off the field more often in the first half.  

What did you all think? 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

I apologize for today guys. At least you whipped them the first time you played them in Tennessee but lost at home. I have a feeling the Titans are going to whip us when we see them just after Christmas.

I hope not, you beating them would go a long way in helping us, even though it wouldn't be a conference or divisional loss but if they pick up 1 or 2 of those in addition to an "L" to you, we may run them down for the AFC South title as long as we take care of our business.

18 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

I hope not, you beating them would go a long way in helping us, even though it wouldn't be a conference or divisional loss but if they pick up 1 or 2 of those in addition to an "L" to you, we may run them down for the AFC South title as long as we take care of our business.

You honestly see us beating them. It seems like they are getting hot at the right time. I don’t see us winning.

Just now, Arodgers12 said:

You honestly see us beating them. It seems like they are getting hot at the right time. I don’t see us winning.

Anything's possible, you looked pretty good against Chicago tonite and divisional opponents are usually tough to dominate. 

The Saints are only 1 game ahead of you for the top seed in the NFC, they slip up just once and you could catch them for home field advantage & that coveted postseason bye week.

5 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

The way to beat them is to score on them, and score early.  They don't have that great of  a defense.  Henry is going to get his yards.  Their coach is one of the few who came from Belichick's system who thrives on not turning the ball over, running the game and playing well in bad elements.  If you get up on them early and neutralize DH early, they are a beatable team.  

A lot of teams have had “stinkers” this year, with the exception of Pittsburg and you could argue that their game against the Jags wasn’t impressive.

This was the first game this year where the Colts were dominated.

Despite the “doom and gloom”, the Colts still can control whether they make the playoffs, as they have 3 divisional games left and play the Raiders.

They are 7-4 and so far, are 2-1 in the stretch of games that we knew would be difficult. 
   You look at a game like this and it’s easy to say, they don’t have the right guys to stop the run, which disregards how well they’ve played.

Call me a homer but I still believe they have the talent to make the playoffs and compete. 

• Like 2

Buckner and Autry are very important to the defense.   I hope they both come back next week with fresh legs.  

Sitting in the 7th and final playoff spot.  Big game against the Texans next week.  They have won their past 2 games and I don't think as easy a game as some are saying.  

The Raiders game may end up being for the last playoff spot.  

• Like 1

When you are missing two key starters on the O-line, and your QB is immobile, your offense is in trouble.

When you are missing three key starters on the defense, and you are going against Derrick Henry, your defense is in trouble.

When you are not capable of making defensive adjustments until halftime, you're in trouble.

When Rock Ya Sin is in your starting lineup, you're in trouble.

When Le'Raven Clark enters the game, just punt.

• Haha 1
14 hours ago, JPFolks said:

The game wasn't exactly a shock due to the missing players, but some of the themes were not what I expected, how about you guys? 

Reason's the game was lost and what's next: 

---------------------------------

1. Rock Ya Sin.  I think Rock is starting to look more like a Draft miss than hit.  They often refer to his wrestling career, and that is never good because it usually comes after a Defensive Hold or Interference.  He really put us in a bind with his first penalty, and drove a stake in our heart when we had them stopped but they got the ball back for a later TD, and arguments could be made it costs us 14 points because it so deflated our team we went into a tailspin and gave up that ridiculous 4th down play setting up the 5th TD.  

2. Loss of poise.  I saw several things, but that horrendous punching and disqualification was so deflating to the teams loss of poise in performance that I wouldn't be disappointed to learn they cut him from the team, though I doubt they have the b*lls.  There should be a near zero tolerance for a role player special teamer to lose his cool that egregiously and cost the team at such a critical time.  

3. Loss of AC/Poor O-Line Depth may be a fatal blow to any post season success.  We have a long long history of failure without our most important lineman.  Even though he isn't what he once was (and it has been clear to me he's playing hurt as much as simple decline has kicked in) the drop off is so dire after him that I think only with significant shuffling can we keep Rivers upright and healthy and have any chance to run an offense not always in crises.  With a poor LT, Rivers one glaring weakness, immobility is amplified 10X.  I will say his quick release saved as many sacks as Mahommes could have scrambled out of, but the difference is he can't possibly complete meaningful attacks with so little time or free space to launch it to an open receiver.  Frankly his performance under that pressure was the most impressive performance I have seen from him all year.  But heroic sack saving isn't effective offense.  This lack o-line  depth has been something MANY here have been pointing not only all season and pre season, but literally going back to last season as well.  And we had MUCH better depth last year than this.  It was my #1 concern entering the season.  It was obvious.  A brilliant GM keeps making this same error.  He admitted his failure to secure a quality O-Line his first year (after many had begged the previous GM to do the same, and I believe that is truly what cost him his job, or at least deserved to).  

Things that were hopeful:

------------------------------

1.   Hines has proven to be a warrior.  He's our most important and reliable offensive weapon, much like the pass catching RBs of River's SD teams.  We should never see another game without him being a key contributor, no different than TN using their RB to do the same.   Everyone knew Hines was the only thing working, but he kept working nonetheless.  Reich needs to stop abandoning our key offensive weapon.  I even loved when they sent him deep.  I think HE could be used much like TY used to be, leading to...

2. TY Hilton FINALLY utilized by Reich and Rivers.  TY still has tremendous value.  We were reminded of that finally.  He still has moves, he can still contribute.  Sure, he's not 24 years old anymore, but he is likely our second best weapon after Hines still.  But Rivers simply has no chemistry with him.  All game he was forcing throws to Pascal, who I like, but they had Pascal 100% locked down.  The few catches he made were 50-50 balls.  

3.  We saw evidence that our TE's are capable.  Why don't we use them, and use them often?  A three headed monster that should be dominating.  I think for us to have success down the stretch, in addition to using Hilton and Hines, our 3 capable TE's need to be all over the place on short to medium routes using their size and capable hands.  We saw late (too late sadly) that they were playing.  It was almost like they weren't through 3 quarters.  Sure, TN had backed up coverage, but dang, those guys have skills and can be hit quickly.  

4. Brissett has been used well in short yardage.  I am glad they are building on this.  Even his relative slowness, he looks like a lightning bolt compared to Rivers.  I do think they need to show some short yardage passing so they keep defenses honest helping his future sneaks.  

5. Pinter was serviceable compared to LT options.  I hope our center comes back and finishes the season, but Pinter at least showed a little depth at G/C.  

What to do in the future now that winning the division is reasonably out of reach;

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The line woes will continue to be a problem.  Depth is simply unacceptable.  I think if AC is lost for the season that we need to rethink positions, such as whether Smith could move to LT and perhaps use Pinter at RT?  I know he has "short arms" for Pro T play, but he has to be better than the other options.  I think they should strongly alter our game plans to account for lesser line e play.  Rivers didn't have time to let route develop, and with no mobility, they are going to have to improve our tepid screen play and conduct more short routes for multiple TE's in 2 TE sets.  Rivers has to be able to get the ball out quick.  I do think the play calling the past 4 weeks had improved, but something happened this game and we were just too limited until late in the game when they were hitting TEs and TY.   More please.  

2. Our D should get back in line with the return of the Covid players.  I like the second half adjustments the D is making but why aren't we making these adjustments in the first half.  35 points is too much and the penalties are devastating.  Is it time to play Carrie instead of Ya Sin?  I think they should seriously consider demoting him for back ups.  He's just too much of a liability.  Perhaps if he came in off the bench we could get off the field more often in the first half.  

What did you all think? 

On the things that were hopeful:

1. Regarding Hines...he had 41 yards on three plays on the two first drives...and had 54 yards on the 15 other touches (<4 yards per touch). His key contributions are a few plays each game...not as a volume producer. Once Taylor gets back...he will go back to being a change of pace RB. If he has 10 targets in a game...it's a bad sign for this offense...and it was. 

2. I am pretty sure Hilton didn't have a catch until the start of the 2nd half when the Colts were already down 21. I am not ready to declare anything about him being a top offensive weapon. Let's just hope they can build on it.

3. The TEs just aren't a dominating group...they don't have that dynamic ability overall. The only one who could potentially be that type or threat doesn't get the targets for some reason. Overall, they are basically reads for Rivers near the RZ...and not much else.

4. JB vulturing those 1-yard TDs is something I had hoped to not ever see. But I guess it works...if you can't run it in with a RB. I would love to see them give MAC a wildcat play or two at the goal line. He would get in with ease.

5. Pinter has been solid in limited action...but hopefully Kelly can get back soon...because the run game is not going to get there without him.

21 hours ago, Arodgers12 said:

I apologize for today guys. At least you whipped them the first time you played them in Tennessee but lost at home. I have a feeling the Titans are going to whip us when we see them just after Christmas.

We need you guys to step up and beat them! It may be needed, though it not being an AFC game we need them to lose at least 2 of their 3 AFC games or we can't win the AFC tiebreaker over them as they has a 2 game lead there too.  

21 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

We have to catch up to their AFC South record AND their AFC record, both are 2 game leads.  They play Hou, Jax and Cle.  If they win 2 of three I think we're toast on that tie breaker unless they lose all the rest of their games AND we win all 5.  Fortunately we should get a wildcard if we can go 3-2 at least.  

21 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

We need to find a way to stop that beast of a running back they have, missed tackles, holes made by their Oline, players out of position, etc...Today was embarrassing, need to regroup fast, especially stopping DH, if we get that far....

I think with our full D we will be okay.  

15 hours ago, Myles said:

Buckner and Autry are very important to the defense.   I hope they both come back next week with fresh legs.  

Sitting in the 7th and final playoff spot.  Big game against the Texans next week.  They have won their past 2 games and I don't think as easy a game as some are saying.  

The Raiders game may end up being for the last playoff spot.  

I agree LV is critical.  It's likely we can get the #7 seed with a 10-6 record, though not impossible for us to lose tie breakers and need 11-5.  

1 hour ago, JPFolks said:

We need you guys to step up and beat them! It may be needed, though it not being an AFC game we need them to lose at least 2 of their 3 AFC games or we can't win the AFC tiebreaker over them as they has a 2 game lead there too.  

I honestly don’t think we can take them. They are good.