Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Titans Colts Post Game thoughts

SR711

No way to spin it: that was a bad game and it  was especially frustrating that we had to go into a key divisional game short handed on the d-line especially considering the opponent and what they want to do offensively.  Here are my thoughts

1.  Its pretty clear that the Colts are not an elite team in the league.  That being said, they have a chance to beat/compete with the better teams, but it all starts with the defense playing like a top 5 unit, not one that gave up a total of 100 pts in the first half in 4 games versus Titans, Browns and Packers (who all by the way will probably make the playoffs).  Its one thing to give up yards on long drives considering who was not playing today on D,  but even if some of the those TDs are FGs instead, the complexion of the game is completely different and gives Reich, Rivers to figure out a way to cobble things together.  Either the defense starts playing better throughout the game or considering who we have left on the schedule, we wont make the playoffs.  

2.  Going along with point number 1, I truly believe due to injuries, O-line regression, the offense is at best a slightly above average unit that has to rely on being methodical, taking advantage of a combination of favorable matchups and scheme in order to move the ball and generate points.  This is not meant to be knock on Rivers, but he is not going to be able consistently make plays if he is forced off of his initial launch point on the dropback.  As a result, we lose out on big plays that may be available off broken plays, etc which Luck was really good at.  Honestly, what you see today is what you are probably going to get with this offense a lot of times going forward especially if they have to play out of deficits.  

3.  Rock Ya-Sin is too much of a liability with penalties or getting burnt on big plays to justify his current playing time.  Put cornerback on the list of upgrades this offseason

4.  I believe a big part of the reason for o-line regression is injuries. AC and Kelly were both obviously out today, but even Nelson has not looked right.  There were times last year he played at a really high level and he has not come anywhere close to matching that this year.  

5.  The worst sequence that essentially lost us the game was the last Tenn TD drive of the 1st half.  To give up a TD in that situation with long completion on 4th down was absolutely pathetic and really squashed any realistic chance of a 2nd half comeback with our offense.  

Why are we mad exactly? We were missing three key starters on our defense and two of our o-linemen. Going 2-2 in this strech was actually a good thing and as long as we beat the raiders, we have a good chance of making the playoffs

I think part of your point is valid. We need guys who can make plays on their own. No team should always have to rely on perfection or certain concepts all the time. We need a offense that just cuts it loose. The problem is we don’t have a offense that can do it or Reich is holding it back.

17 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Why are we mad exactly? We were missing three key starters on our defense and two of our o-linemen. Going 2-2 in this strech was actually a good thing and as long as we beat the raiders, we have a good chance of making the playoffs

The Texans are not going to be easy.

48 minutes ago, SR711 said:

No way to spin it: that was a bad game and it  was especially frustrating that we had to go into a key divisional game short handed on the d-line especially considering the opponent and what they want to do offensively.  Here are my thoughts

1.  Its pretty clear that the Colts are not an elite team in the league.  That being said, they have a chance to beat/compete with the better teams, but it all starts with the defense playing like a top 5 unit, not one that gave up a total of 100 pts in the first half in 4 games versus Titans, Browns and Packers (who all by the way will probably make the playoffs).  Its one thing to give up yards on long drives considering who was not playing today on D,  but even if some of the those TDs are FGs instead, the complexion of the game is completely different and gives Reich, Rivers to figure out a way to cobble things together.  Either the defense starts playing better throughout the game or considering who we have left on the schedule, we wont make the playoffs.  

2.  Going along with point number 1, I truly believe due to injuries, O-line regression, the offense is at best a slightly above average unit that has to rely on being methodical, taking advantage of a combination of favorable matchups and scheme in order to move the ball and generate points.  This is not meant to be knock on Rivers, but he is not going to be able consistently make plays if he is forced off of his initial launch point on the dropback.  As a result, we lose out on big plays that may be available off broken plays, etc which Luck was really good at.  Honestly, what you see today is what you are probably going to get with this offense a lot of times going forward especially if they have to play out of deficits.  

3.  Rock Ya-Sin is too much of a liability with penalties or getting burnt on big plays to justify his current playing time.  Put cornerback on the list of upgrades this offseason

4.  I believe a big part of the reason for o-line regression is injuries. AC and Kelly were both obviously out today, but even Nelson has not looked right.  There were times last year he played at a really high level and he has not come anywhere close to matching that this year.  

5.  The worst sequence that essentially lost us the game was the last Tenn TD drive of the 1st half.  To give up a TD in that situation with long completion on 4th down was absolutely pathetic and really squashed any realistic chance of a 2nd half comeback with our offense.  

Agree with everything u said. I doubt this team makes the playoffs. Irsay is going to come up from under the bed sheets and make some tough decisions. My take. Move on from Rivers. Move on from this defensive scheme. Move on from the D coordinator and Oline coach. I think Reich is doing a good job with the talent he he has been given. I have no idea why Ballard keeps getting a pass? Every week it is the coaching but I truly beleive it has more to do with talent. We have gone up against some good teams this year but have been slapped down. This team is not with the big boys in terms of talent. Believe what u want.

custanzo should have been replaced two years ago. Kelly is injury prone, will never give you more than twelve games a year.

Le'raven clark is depth only, should never start. Together when healthy, are a good unit. pull a piece out anywhere along the line then they become mediocre.

Lots of young people on both sides of the ball. This is what you get, inconsistency. One game you look unstoppable the next you look flat and don't show up. Next week everything you did wrong is on your opponents chalk board. The Titan's beat themselve's the first time. They are a better team. Green bay, same story. The Texans are finally starting to play. Colts maybe will be able to beat the Texans one time but not twice. The raiders and pittsburg are losses. 8 and 8 will be the best this team could achieve this year with no playoffs. And olso blow any chances for any blue chip players while picking 15 or 16 position.

2 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

custanzo should have been replaced two years ago. Kelly is injury prone, will never give you more than twelve games a year.

Le'raven clark is depth only, should never start. Together when healthy, are a good unit. pull a piece out anywhere along the line then they become mediocre.

Lots of young people on both sides of the ball. This is what you get, inconsistency. One game you look unstoppable the next you look flat and don't show up. Next week everything you did wrong is on your opponents chalk board. The Titan's beat themselve's the first time. They are a better team. Green bay, same story. The Texans are finally starting to play. Colts maybe will be able to beat the Texans one time but not twice. The raiders and pittsburg are losses. 8 and 8 will be the best this team could achieve this year with no playoffs. And olso blow any chances for any blue chip players while picking 15 or 16 position.

Kelly snd AC played every game last season. Yes Ballard should of looked for a future left tackle who could of been AC backup for s year or two though.

To me Reich still looks lost as a coach and his message is turning stale. He can’t afford a 4th QB in 4 years. Luck has ruined this franchise until we figure this out.

Hopefully by the time OTA start in the spring all the players will be able to get vaccinated and they don’t have to go through all this craziness. I guess we should be grateful we have football but it’s just very disappointing thinking we were starting to gel as a team. This season is starting to feel kind of wasted at the moment. 

16 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Hopefully by the time OTA start in the spring all the players will be able to get vaccinated and they don’t have to go through all this craziness. I guess we should be grateful we have football but it’s just very disappointing thinking we were starting to gel as a team. This season is starting to feel kind of wasted at the moment. 

That what happens when expectations get out of hand. Injuries, sickness and inconsistant officiating can wear the players down as well as the fan base. I think it will be hopeful thinking the NFL will get vaccinated before next December.

2 hours ago, compuls1v3 said:

Watch out for the Watson Fuller connection against Rock.  I have a bad feeling about it.

Rock was benched towards the end of the game.  I wouldn't be surprised if he loses his starting role against the Texans.  I have always thought he was our weakest link in our defense and he showed why again today.  I'm thinking Carrie is the starter  when we face Houston.  

A game like today reminds us that we are not as good as we thought; no matter how you look at it. Yes, pessimistic take. But reality.

I expected this game would be close - and that the Colts would end up on the losing end of a competitive, dogfight of a game.

I did not expect 5 TDs on 6 drives in the first half.  Good teams can manage starter losses and still win games. You have to. Because very rarely do you make it the full season with your best players.

We lost a couple key pieces today and crumbled. Not sure if it was the game planning or terrible execution that was the culprit. Obviously both but I lean towards a coaching staff that has to do a better job scheming against opposing teams strengths.

I just fail to see how their OL who is banged up way worse than ours just made our DL look like a bunch of HS players. 4 yds of push on each run. You have a 250 lb RB not getting touched until after 5 yds on every play. Recipe to hand a game away. And then their defense blitzed almost every down and even when a screen is called away from the blitz we net 3 yds. 

Their game plan was simple, but terrifically executed. On offense, Outside zone runs against our small corners until the DL and LBs are worn out from running to the sideline on every play then pound it up the middle and sprinkle play action in. On defense, blitz Rivers. Both worked beautifully. 

Our game plan is less clear, but it was likely one of those Mike Tyson like scenarios; had a game plan until we got punched in the mouth, which was from the start of the game. 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I do think Rivers should be brought back one more year. He is building some chemistry with this group and should get another year due to the circumstances this year. 

I think rivers has been okay for us but as expected nothing special. It's a tough decision to make for next season, and next season we face the whole NFC West and AFC East with Lawrence likely going to Jets and Fields likely going to Jags making the 'easy matchups' look a bit tougher. Either we go all or nothing with Eason or keep Rivers and probably be mediocre with a punchers chance of victory every time we play.

I’m not sure if people are serious or just emotional after a bad loss.

Colts will be fine. They’ll make the playoffs and be a tough out for ANY team they face.

Teams have starters Out all the time but rarely do they impact a game the way DBuck does. 

Buckner is a monster, an absolute beast.  He makes it easier for Leonard and takes some pressure off the corners. As long as he comes back, Colts will be alright. Have faith. 

1 hour ago, coming on strong said:

Some poster on here said he is carrying the team and is worth 30 million next year . Colts will do much better with Eason with his cannon teams can’t stack the box like they can with rivers . 

I think rivers should get one more year and let Eason backup him up one more year.  Rivers is starting to build some chemistry. I want a normal off season. Let him come back when we have a normal year. Tired of the rotating QB.

Our DL depth is not as good as I thought it was, and inadequate DL exposes LBs more. We are that purgatory type of team without an offensive or defensive identity, to be honest, that can get punched in the mouth by elite teams without enough explosiveness or playmakers in pass offense or pass defense to cause issues. 

Right now knocking on the doors of the division is the best we can do. Far from a SB contender. We had it good during Luck's first few years when the division was not as competitive, wish we had Ballard then.

4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Our DL depth is not as good as I thought it was, and inadequate DL exposes LBs more. We are that purgatory type of team without an offensive or defensive identity, to be honest, that can get punched in the mouth by elite teams without enough explosiveness or playmakers in pass offense or pass defense to cause issues. 

Right now knocking on the doors of the division is the best we can do. Far from a SB contender. We had it good during Luck's first few years when the division was not as competitive, wish we had Ballard then.

Buckner and Autry matter. 

But, to your point, Grover, Lewis, and the JAGS will always get beaten by better offenses.  Houston can't carry the dline.

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Buckner and Autry matter. 

But, to your point, Grover, Lewis, and the JAGS will always get beaten by better offenses.  Houston can't carry the dline.

I agree but Sunday's performance was pathetic.  There really is no amount of analysis that can cover up a historically bad showing by our D.  

We were at the game and on the way back, a radio guy said that it tied the franchise record of most points given up at home in a half.   It happened in 1985 v. the Jets.  

15 hours ago, ShuteAt168 said:

This is not a disciplined Colts team—too many penalties and that falls on Reich. Eberflus gets a lot of positive publicity out of making second half adjustments; why can’t he game plan for the first half? Colts get boatraced in the first half too often. 

Both are true - they’ve been bad in first halves of games and good in second halves. 
  I guess it all depends on how you look at it. 
I do think they have the potential to play solid for 60 minutes. I saw a lot of things that can be cleaned up (missed tackles, bad technique, etc).

There’s a lot of football left to play.

2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I agree but Sunday's performance was pathetic.  There really is no amount of analysis that can cover up a historically bad showing by our D.  

We were at the game and on the way back, a radio guy said that it tied the franchise record of most points given up at home in a half.   It happened in 1985 v. the Jets.  

Oh, I think the defensive ranking was an illusion.  It can be good at times, but its hard to really judge it given the changes occurring each week in the NFL.  I read people talking about our ranking but then saying with nearly the same breath that a EDGE and CB are high on our priority list, and that Willis isn't effective in coverage.

Tennesse is the better team.   Because they have more talent.  They nearly went to the SB last year, and probably should have been up on us 14-0 in our first game if AJ Brown catches an easily catchable long pass along the sidelines.

2 hours ago, lollygagger8 said:

I'm glad Rivers is only under a one year contract. 

Rivers is good enough for 25-35 points a game against average to bad Ds like the Texans, Titans, Bengals etc. but against outstanding Ds like the Rams or Ravens, the Colts will struggle to get past 20 points, IMO. For teams who want to establish the run, Kyle Shanahan has much better formations as to how to scheme the run and the pass off it. I do not think we can sustain high level of running without incorporating a fullback, to be honest, we need to bring that back. The fact that we don't use a fullback or play action much limits our offense, IMO.

Overrated yes. but that was as bad a performance as this franchise has ever had man.  And we haven't had many good defenses in Indy.  

Did you think we would be that bad?  It was kind of shocking to me.  We rarely even got them into 3rd down.

The Rock Whatever TF he was doing in the end zone coupled with them scoring an extra TD at the end of the half could have gone a different way I guess, but man, that was incompetence on the D.  

The Titans are a good team with a good O, but they haven't been scoring a lot until Yesterday for 5 weeks.

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Oh, I think the defensive ranking was an illusion.  It can be good at times, but its hard to really judge it given the changes occurring each week in the NFL.  I read people talking about our ranking but then saying with nearly the same breath that a EDGE and CB are high on our priority list, and that Willis isn't effective in coverage.

Tennesse is the better team.   Because they have more talent.  They nearly went to the SB last year, and probably should have been up on us 14-0 in our first game if AJ Brown catches an easily catchable long pass along the sidelines.

Overrated yes. but that was as bad a performance as this franchise has ever had man.  And we haven't had many good defenses in Indy.  

Did you think we would be that bad?  It was kind of shocking to me.  We rarely even got them into 3rd down.

The Rock Whatever TF he was doing in the end zone coupled with them scoring an extra TD at the end of the half could have gone a different way I guess, but man, that was incompetence on the D.  

The Titans are a good team with a good O, but they haven't been scoring a lot until Yesterday for 5 weeks.

Archived