Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st to 3rd round picks

Moosejawcolt

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

I believe this is where u build your team is thru the 1st 3 rounds. What is your assessment of Ballard's ability to pick quality star players. Nelson excluded. Honestly, I am less than impressed so far. Its been 4 drafts.

Well I’ve been impressed overall. Throwing out Nelson as you wished. 

marlon Mack- enough said
 Braden Smith- stud at RT even though he was a Guard. 
Darius Leonard- All-Pro. How often do you get a rookie All Pro in the Second round

Bobby O- looks to be coming on solidly. 

Rock Ya Sin- okay, I’ll give you this one. Not impressed. 
Jonathan Taylor- too early to call but looks serviceable down the road.

michael Pitman - Same as with Taylor except I think he’ll have a bigger impact sooner than Taylor.

julian Blackman-a front runner for DROY 

Paris Campbell, another disappointment thus far that I’ll give ya. 
Buckner- while technically not a draft selection, rarely does a trade like this work out like it has so far. Buckner is a HUGE WIN. 

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Well I’ve been impressed overall. Throwing out Nelson as you wished. 

marlon Mack- enough said
 Braden Smith- stud at RT even though he was a Guard. 
Darius Leonard- All-Pro. How often do you get a rookie All Pro in the Second round

Bobby O- looks to be coming on solidly. 

Rock Ya Sin- okay, I’ll give you this one. Not impressed. 
Jonathan Taylor- too early to call but looks serviceable down the road.

michael Pitman - Same as with Taylor except I think he’ll have a bigger impact sooner than Taylor.

julian Blackman-a front runner for DROY 

Paris Campbell, another disappointment thus far that I’ll give ya. 
Buckner- while technically not a draft selection, rarely does a trade like this work out like it has so far. Buckner is a HUGE WIN. 

Well. Wilson, Brasham, Hooker, Rock, Lewis.....average to below average players. Leonard I am not as high on as others. He tends to disappear when playing balanced offences  and gets washed out in the run game. Hes a safety playing lb. Taylor is up and down, but I like his upside. Pittman looks good, but doesnt wow me. Smith has dificulty against speed rushers but is a good player. Turay cant  stay healthy and is a 3rd down player. Blackmon I like.  Okereke has taken a step back this year in pass coverage but better against the run. He seems to b playing a little in pass coverage as season wears on. So out of all those 1st to 3rd round picks we have 2 elite players and one was a 6th overall pick? Thats not good.

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Ballard on Defense is killing it minus Ben/Ya-Sin.

Ballard on Offense is meh. His offensive skill position players aren’t great imo. Think they may need a change in philosophy 

Killing it on D?  Have u seen this team perform against balanced offensive teams? Cleveland....Tennesse twice and Packers? Wait till they meet the Raiders and Steelers. This D is so over rated and I am not sure why people are so high on Ballards defensive picks. 

9 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

U forgot Brasham...Wilson.....Hooker....Turay........and Lewis. Meh

Turay isn’t a negative. He was playing very well before getting a season ending injury. I will Concede the other players you mentioned 

The defenses problem is scheme IMO. The talent is there at most positions minus a second CB and a second LB. I agree with you on Leonard. He def disappears a lot. Today is an example. He made no game changing plays but wants to be mentioned as the best.

This defense is good enough. The offense with the skill position players and old man Rivers is the weak link. There is too many good WRs out there killing it like Deebo, AJ Brown, DK, Mecole Hardman, etc to watch Ya-Sin cost us games and Banogu be inactive. We have no quick strike ability 

24 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Well. Wilson, Brasham, Hooker, Rock, Lewis.....average to below average players. Leonard I am not as high on as others. He tends to disappear when playing balanced offences  and gets washed out in the run game. Hes a safety playing lb. Taylor is up and down, but I like his upside. Pittman looks good, but doesnt wow me. Smith has dificulty against speed rushers but is a good player. Turay cant  stay healthy and is a 3rd down player. Blackmon I like.  Okereke has taken a step back this year in pass coverage but better against the run. He seems to b playing a little in pass coverage as season wears on. So out of all those 1st to 3rd round picks we have 2 elite players and one was a 6th overall pick? Thats not good.

Lewis has been having a very good year so far. 

basham was a 4th rounder, so out of your stated goal posts. 

Wilson and Hooker, both 2017 picks, both Came about as of Paganos influence. So different coach, different scheme, I’m not counting those two. 

turray has been injured once... last year and is just now coming back. 

12 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Turay isn’t a negative. He was playing very well before getting a season ending injury. I will Concede the other players you mentioned 

The defenses problem is scheme IMO. The talent is there at most positions minus a second CB and a second LB. I agree with you on Leonard. He def disappears a lot. Today is an example. He made no game changing plays but wants to be mentioned as the best.

This defense is good enough. The offense with the skill position players and old man Rivers is the weak link. There is too many good WRs out there killing it like Deebo, AJ Brown, DK, Mecole Hardman, etc to watch Ya-Sin cost us games and Banogu be inactive. We have no quick strike ability 

Scheme isn’t the problem as much as it is who the scheme requires. This scheme requires a Great 3T on the DL, hence the Buckner trade. It cannot be overstated how having not only Buckner out but Autry affects the back end of this Defense. 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Scheme isn’t the problem as much as it is who the scheme requires. This scheme requires a Great 3T on the DL, hence the Buckner trade. It cannot be overstated how having not only Buckner out but Autry affects the back end of this Defense. 

Scheme is def an issue. We play a nice cushy zone and we get eaten alive then Eberflus flips a switch. Personnel at CB make it hard to stay in man with Rock

8 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Thank u....thank u. Finally someone agrees with me on Leonard lol. The D is a big problem.  I totally agree with u on scheme. That is totally on Ballard. He wanted to employ it  and drafted players to fit it. Thats totally on him. I hate it. They keep having these 1st half  defensive collapses. That I believe takes Reich out of what he wants to do on offence. It makes him go toe to toe and he doesnt have the players to keep up. It takes them out of their game plan. I keep hearing Eberflus is a  hot name for a head coach position. Good riddance and take the scheme with u. I also believe they need a change at Oline in terms of coaching. Something is missing. I cant remember the last time this Oline blew open huge holes. Tennessee's Oline looked like all pros today and I dont believe they dont have a  lot of high picks on their O line. Before u say well Colts were missing Autry and Buckner. They did it the last time they played. If they dont make the playoffs, Irsay really needs to sit down with Ballard on the direction of this franchise. Rivers, love his spunk, but man he limits the offence. The pocket breaks down and it is over. He has zero abiltiy to make plays outside the pocket. He limits what u can do on offence and puts a lot of pressure on the Oline. I am not blaming him for the loss but I am ready to move on. One thing is evident. When the opposing defenses plays fast, Rivers is  in big trouble. That was evident when we lost some Oline men.  Either give Eason a chance or draft a successor next year. My rant for the night.

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Wilson and Hooker, both 2017 picks, both Came about as of Paganos influence. So different coach, different scheme, I’m not counting those two. 

I love it that Ballard gets to blame Pagano. It has been 4 years under Ballard. Turay was hurt a lot in college. So u dont draft Sweat, who had medical issues, but willing to draft Turay who was an inferior player coming out of college??

At the crux of this OP, IMO, is Ballard's evaluation and drafting of college talent. 

Guys like Buckner, Houston, and Rhodes ..and even Autry...have been great additions, but that's a different type of talent evaluation because those are known good NFL players before they got here.

Rounds 1 through 3 for four drafts equals 12 picks, and he traded out of pick 3 to take a G and got two more picks, and passed on Montez Sweat to get another second rounder.

That's 15 picks to choose college players in rounds 1 through 3.  Say 14 if you discard the Buckner pick.  Players: Nelson, Leonard, Smith, Blackmon, and Pittman are good players.  The rest are only average so far.  Five good players out of 14 picks.  Passing on AJ Brown and Sweat look to be bad decisions, especially since they were high value positions of need at the time.....expensive positions.

3 of the 5 good players are a G, a S, and an ILB...the lower valued positions...also the RT not a LT, all not expensive positions.

Please check my math and my player list.

And folks are right, including Venturi.  Leonard disappears too often.  He hasn't really lived up to his rookie year performance, IMO.

2 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Thank u....thank u. Finally someone agrees with me on Leonard lol. The D is a big problem.  I totally agree with u on scheme. That is totally on Ballard. He wanted to employ it  and drafted players to fit it. Thats totally on him. I hate it. They keep having these 1st half  defensive collapses. That I believe takes Reich out of what he wants to do on offence. It makes him go toe to toe and he doesnt have the players to keep up. It takes them out of their game plan. I keep hearing Eberflus is a  hot name for a head coach position. Good riddance and take the scheme with u. I also believe they need a change at Oline in terms of coaching. Something is missing. I cant remember the last time this Oline blew open huge holes. Tennessee's Oline looked like all pros today and I dont believe they dont have a  lot of high picks on their O line. Before u say well Colts were missing Autry and Buckner. They did it the last time they played. If they dont make the playoffs, Irsay really needs to sit down with Ballard on the direction of this franchise. Rivers, love his spunk, but man he limits the offence. The pocket breaks down and it is over. He has zero abiltiy to make plays outside the pocket. He limits what u can do on offence and puts a lot of pressure on the Oline. I am not blaming him for the loss but I am ready to move on. One thing is evident. When the opposing defenses plays fast, Rivers is  in big trouble. That was evident when we lost some Oline men.  Either give Eason a chance or draft a successor next year. My rant for the night.

Firing the O-Line coach last year was a major major mistake. Apparently he was mean so that’s why.

Rivers is better than Brissett is all ppl say around here to justify bringing him here. I don't understand the point of it. I really believe it was a waste of time.

Leonard made the comment about Rodgers not mentioning him and has played very mediocre the past two weeks.

Reich is that kid you play on Madden who is goin to keep running the same variation of a play that he think works. Harris comes in and you know a reverse or jet motion is coming. Brissett is His latest wrinkle 

21 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Basham was a third rounder.

The three 4th round picks that year were Mack, Stewart and Banner.   The two 5th round picks that year were Hairston and Walker. 

51 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Your take on Leonard is harsh. He is excellent and plays at a pro bowl level. Maybe not the best in the league but excellent. 

5 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Firing the O-Line coach last year was a major major mistake. Apparently he was mean so that’s why.

Rivers is better than Brissett is all ppl say around here to justify bringing him here. I don't understand the point of it. I really believe it was a waste of time.

Leonard made the comment about Rodgers not mentioning him and has played very mediocre the past two weeks.

Reich is that kid you play on Madden who is goin to keep running the same variation of a play that he think works. Harris comes in and you know a reverse or jet motion is coming. Brissett is His latest wrinkle 

Lol. Tough decisions in the off season. I bleieve this team is farther away than most peole think.  I had them at 9 and 7. 

Just now, CanuckColtsFan said:

Your take on Leonard is harsh. He is excellent and plays at a pro bowl level. Maybe not the best in the league but excellent. 

Watch him when he plays an offense that can both run and pass. He has little to no effect on the outcome. To me, he is great when moving forward. In space, I think he is over rated. 

15 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Lol. Tough decisions in the off season. I bleieve this team is farther away than most peole think.  I had them at 9 and 7. 

If you don't have a QB, a LT, a #1 WR, a #1 DE, a #1 CB....its going to be tough to do better than .500 the next few years, IMO

5 minutes ago, CanuckColtsFan said:

I wouldn’t trade him or anything. He’s really good and I agree he is excellent. I just feel like the lulls are too often

12 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Watch him when he plays an offense that can both run and pass. He has little to no effect on the outcome. To me, he is great when moving forward. In space, I think he is over rated. 

He had a batted down pass. I will admit this wasn't his best game but the d as a whole struggled. 

12 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

When you write stuff like this,  it’s hard to take you seriously.

You're a bomb thrower.  You’ve openly talked about how much fun it is for you to post your views and see the outraged reactions.    You’re around more after a loss.  Less so after a win. 

Thus kind of post us about par for you. 

7 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This place is becoming unbearable after any loss.  No the Colts didn’t play well today.  It’s disappointing.  It’s the NFL it happens.  Let’s stop being stupid about it.  

We lost under Manning and Dungy too. 

The difference is that the team under Ballard's tenure thus far has never established itself to be consistently good.  So any win gets magnified like we have turned the corner, and any loss gets magnified that we are stuck in mediocrity.  

When/if, the team actually gets good consistently, then the days we lose won't be like this.

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

If you don't have a QB, a LT, a #1 WR, a #1 DE, a #1 CB....its going to be tough to do better than .500 the next few years, IMO

Shhhhh...dont say that. Ballard is the best GM in football even though routinely he misses on his high picks. But at least he is tranparent

6 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

This place is becoming unbearable after any loss.  No the Colts didn’t play well today.  It’s disappointing.  It’s the NFL it happens.  Let’s stop being stupid about it.  

It shouldn’t happen that they lacked effort on defense in the first half. These guys get paid millions of dollars to bring their best for 16 games. Hardly no one wanted any part of Henry today. That is totally unacceptable in my book.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

When you write stuff like this,  it’s hard to take you seriously.

You're a bomb thrower.  You’ve openly talked about how much fun it is for you to post your views and see the outraged reactions.    You’re around more after a loss.  Less so after a win. 

Thus kind of post us about par for you. 

Cause they win against mediocore teams. I never get excited about those. I said at beginning of season when they played this stretch we would c who they are. The D was ranked high and everyone drank the kool laid. Look it up. This stretch of games is showing us who the Colts are.

5 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Shhhhh...dont say that. Ballard is the best GM in football even though routinely he misses on his high picks. But at least he is tranparent

The players he picked might develop.  I think Grover has as much chance to be a $10M one-year wonder as he does as actually earning his price.

The things is, the good players show themselves early.  Average players tend to do the same.  Every young player needs experience and consistency, its just that out of those 14 high round picks Ballard has had, I'd like to see two more players that we know are good.

And all of Ballard's successful players have been in lower valued positions.  G, ILB, S, RT.  They're not unimportant, but those aren't the positions that take you to the SB.  Having good/great players in the expensive positions matters more.

2 minutes ago, Blueblood23 said:

It shouldn’t happen that they lacked effort on defense in the first half. These guys get paid millions of dollars to bring their best for 16 games. Hardly no one wanted any part of Henry today. That is totally unacceptable in my book.

It happens every week in the NFL to teams where one is highly motived and one is flat.  It’s just part of the game.  It’s disappointing but it happens.  You can say it’s unacceptable and it is but it doesn’t change that it happens.  My guess is that the players know this and you’ll see a much better effort next week.  

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Cause they win against mediocore teams. I never get excited about those. I said at beginning of season when they played this stretch we would c who they are. The D was ranked high and everyone drank the kool laid. Look it up. This stretch of games is showing us who the Colts are.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn’t the Colts beat the Packers and this same Titans team the two weeks before this?  Those are probably the two best teams the Colts have played to this point so let’s stop with they just beat mediocre teams.  

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Correct me if I am wrong but didn’t the Colts beat the Packers and this same Titans team the two weeks before this?  Those are probably the two best teams the Colts have played to this point so let’s stop with they just beat mediocre teams.  

Packers crapped the bed in the 2nd  and out up 31 points in the 1st half. They have an excellent record against Tennssee. Just like thr Jags give us problems. This was a must win game and a gut check and boom!!!!.

It’s really hard to say. While I’m a big Ballard fan, some of his draft classes are starting to fizzle out as it pertains to the first 3 rounds.

2017 looks like a complete wash. Hooker, Basham, and Quincy Wilson didn’t pan out

2018 his first 3 picks were home runs with Nelson, Leonard, and Smith. And while that’s as good as it gets, it should be noted that he squandered some draft capital and could have had Dallas Godert, Michael Gallup, and Mark Andrews over Turray and Lewis who he traded up for.

2019? Boy that’s really looking like a total wash. Your picks in rounds 1-3 were Ya-Sin, Banogu, Campbell, and Okereke. Missed out on Montez Sweat, passed on AJ Brown twice, and Metcalf. Best player from that class so far has been Willis and even he has some limitations.

2020 looks promising. So far with Buckner, Pittman, Taylor, and Blackmon. May eventually rival the 2018 class

Also credit Ballard with some late round finds. Hines and Grover Stewart were both 4th round picks who play huge roles on this team.

14 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The things is, the good players show themselves early.  Average players tend to do the same.  Every young player needs experience and consistency, its just that out of those 14 high round picks Ballard has had, I'd like to see two more players that we know are good.

You hit the nail on the head. Players that will be big time contributors, will show you as much in the first 2 years. Leonard, Blackmon, Nelson, Smith, etc...And that’s what you expect from guys drafted in the first 3 rounds. Guys have to do more than “flash”. The old saying in football is that unless a guy is basically red shirting for some reason, you generally know within the first two years if someone will be good or not. That’s why they say the biggest leap a player can make is between year 1 and 2. If someone still looks like a rookie in year 2, you may have a bust.

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Ballard chose Hooker and he knew they were switching to C-2 (HE was the impetus 

behind it).

Archived