Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

When is the rite time to see Eason


When is the time to see what Eason has( I still think we can make the playoffs)  

78 members have voted

  1. 1. How many more losses before they see how the arm of Eason is going to fair

    • 1
      1
    • 2
      5
    • 3
      14
    • 4
      10
    • Just wait till next preseason and hope to see him
      50


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Probably not even then 

Eason should be backup in 21

Doesn't matter, and that's highly debatable (BU in21) since we have zero clue about his development.

 

Regardless, you need to see him in game action as early as possible after elimination if you even think he MIGHT be the long term answer. Even if you've already made the decision to bring Rivers back, you should want to see him. And if he's on the bubble and Frank/Ballard on the fence about his future, even more reason. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t know why everyone is clambering for Eason. Brissett is our #2 and Reich loves him as our backup. Eason won’t see field until next year or maybe like last 5-10 minutes of a game that we’re losing for the season. That would be it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

People are interested because

  1. the only QB we have under contract in 21 is Eason
  2. JB is not our future #1
  3. Folks want to know if Eason might be the future

Like I said, I don't want to see him till we are eliminated. But if we are eliminated, and don't intend to bring back Rivers, then there's no reason not to get him game experience and kick the tires. Playing Rivers or JB post elimination if they are not your future #1 is just a waste of game time.

From a fans perspective yes. But from the Colts coaching perspective, maybe they already know what they have with Eason in practice. Seems like such because they’re rolling with Brissett with QB opportunities. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am probably more optimistic than most but I still think we make the playoffs. That means Rivers will be back for his last year and Eason will be the backup. I think JB will move on because he will want to start somewhere.

I also think we'll make the playoffs, but I'm not convinced if we do that it means Rivers will be back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

From a fans perspective yes. But from the Colts coaching perspective, maybe they already know what they have with Eason in practice. Seems like such because they’re rolling with Brissett with QB opportunities. 

Running the practice squad isn't the same as live game experience.

 

"Seems like such because they are rolling with JB"? Come on... They are rolling with JB simply because it's the right thing to do right now while we're in the hunt. He's the safe guy to fill in here and there if PR is injured as he knows the O, and good for short yardage stuff. Has ZERO to do with Eason. Plus, we're paying him 20+M

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EastStreet said:

Running the practice squad isn't the same as live game experience.

 

"Seems like such because they are rolling with JB"? Come on... They are rolling with JB simply because it's the right thing to do right now while we're in the hunt. He's the safe guy to fill in here and there if PR is injured as he knows the O, and good for short yardage stuff. Has ZERO to do with Eason. Plus, we're paying him 20+M


That’s everything to do with Eason not playing.... and you’ve already said it yourself in your post. Rivers is #1, Brissett is #2, Eason is #3. Reich loves Brissett. Like you said, Brissett knows the playbook. Those are some good reasons why Eason is not playing. If we’re lucky, we see Eason for 5 minutes during our last game. But high probability we see him next year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If we are eliminated the last game and Eason doesn’t get to play then Ballard will be committing malpractice.

 

Right now I would bring rivers back next year no matter what and get a LT.  We need some consistency at QB. Reich doesn’t need a 4th QB in four years.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pgt_rob said:


That’s everything to do with Eason not playing.... and you’ve already said it yourself in your post. Rivers is #1, Brissett is #2, Eason is #3. Reich loves Brissett. Like you said, Brissett knows the playbook. Those are some good reasons why Eason is not playing. If we’re lucky, we see Eason for 5 minutes during our last game. But high probability we see him next year. 

Dude, nobody is saying, at least not me, and not realistic folks, ..... that Eason should be playing right now.

I said "after we are eliminated".

 

JB is #2 because we're paying him 20+M to be a safe backup. He is not #2 because of anything Eason did, or didn't do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Dude, nobody is saying, at least not me, and not realistic folks, ..... that Eason should be playing right now.

I said "after we are eliminated".

 

JB is #2 because we're paying him 20+M to be a safe backup. He is not #2 because of anything Eason did, or didn't do.

See my first post. I said the same thing. We’re literally saying the same thing. Eliminated, sure might see him at some point during a game. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

See my first post. I said the same thing. We’re literally saying the same thing. Eliminated, sure might see him at some point during a game. 

We're not saying the same thing. You said you don't understand why people would want to see Eason. There are very obvious reasons they would want to see him. You also said only a 10ish minutes in the last game we are losing. If we are eliminated, I think folks would like to see him get multiple series, potentially in multiple games depending on when we are eliminated... not just mop up and hand off work. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We're not saying the same thing. You said you don't understand why people would want to see Eason. There are very obvious reasons they would want to see him. You also said only a 10ish minutes in the last game we are losing. If we are eliminated, I think folks would like to see him get multiple series, potentially in multiple games depending on when we are eliminated... not just mop up and hand off work. 

They blew it with Kelly two years in a row. What makes one think they won't do it again? Eason probably has not blown their skirts up . He probably should not have been drafted but, i cant say that based on what we have seen. If Kelly had the opportunity for a full game at the end of last season, they may have been able to use Eason's pick for something else and release Brissett and move on. No one will know for sure because it was not given a try. Aiming short of the cup at best gives you par.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MCurtis32 said:

They blew it with Kelly two years in a row. What makes one think they won't do it again? Eason probably has not blown their skirts up . He probably should not have been drafted but, i cant say that based on what we have seen. If Kelly had the opportunity for a full game at the end of last season, they may have been able to use Eason's pick for something else and release Brissett and move on. No one will know for sure because it was not given a try. Aiming short of the cup at best gives you par.

I agree it would have been nice to see Kelly, but it would have been a slap to JB, who was the starter, and under contract for another year. Right or wrong, it's just how Reich rolls.

 

This year is different though. Only Eason is under contract. Even if they already make the decision to bring back Rivers, Rivers would likely know it's the last year, and wouldn't really care to give Eason minutes. 

 

As far as if he should have been drafted, I'll admit I'm not a huge fan of Eason, but he was a bargain in the 4th. His upside potential is there, and even if he ends up only a backup, the pick was worth it. His 1ishM per year for the next 3 years will be a bargain even if only a backup. If he ends up being a starter, super value.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure why a couple people are confused about this thread, it's a fair question that people were also considering last season (with JB and Kelly). I was in the camp last year that thought we should have started Kelly once we were out of playoff contention and I have the same stance this season, we have to see what we've got in Eason at some point and it would make sense if there is no chance of playoffs. I wouldn't be totally shocked if Reich didn't play him even if this was the case though.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sumo63 said:

Next year as a backup

Agree - if we are to be eliminated this season, it won't likely be until Week 17. If we get to 10 wins, I  could see the Colts bringing Rivers back and moving on from Jacoby, giving him the opportunity to seek a starting job elsewhere and elevating Eason to #2, active on game days and fulfilling the role that Brissett currently does.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Catloaf said:

Today wasn't really on Rivers.  It was more on COVID/injuries and undisciplined football rather than Rivers.

When i started this topic, it wasnt a shot at Rivers. I hope he comes back for another year, but with covid and injuries if playoffs are no longer an option. Should we see what we have in Eason since we had no pre season to see him in live action

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...