Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2021 Salary Cap Forecast/Discussion **Updated pg 6**

w87r

Just now, w87r said:

Restructures do happen in year after or 2 years into new deal all the time. There will be many restructures around the league this year(more than usual). It is all part of the Covid effect.

So any research prior to this year still wouldn't equate to what is needed around the league to make money work. 

Like I said though teams that are usually tight to the cap have to restructure guys contracts to give them more space. Happens every year, but this year is different for all involved.

Im not trying to be argumentative either, or even saying it is going to happen.  Just laying out the possibility and how it could help us.

Ok. That wasn’t too difficult to find. The Vikings did that very thing with Erik Hendricks 2018 contract in 2019.  

I don’t get why they wouldn’t just have the original K be cap friendly but who am I?  Lol. 

again. Apologies for ignorance.  I should have just looked it up first 

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

Ok. That wasn’t too difficult to find. The Vikings did that very thing with Erik Hendricks 2018 contract in 2019.  

I don’t get why they wouldn’t just have the original K be cap friendly but who am I?  Lol. 

again. Apologies for ignorance.  I should have just looked it up first 

It's all good, asking a question doesn't make anything/anybody ignorant. And again I was just trying to lay out options to save money if need be this year. Will it happen? Who knows, but it's an option that could add a player or 2 we might not of been able to.

Some potential trade targets:

1. Lattimore - $10m cap hit, likely sign to long term extension, cost a 1st or 2nd+.

2. Armstead - $11.7m cap hit

3. Ramczyk - $11m cap hit

Maybe we could trade our 1st and 2nd/or 3rd for Lattimore and Armstead?

Would be if Rivers was returning most likely.

So that would be maybe $36m out of our $68m if we could get Rivers to take around $15m.

I broke down the Saints cap situation in link below, it shows how/why these guys will most likely be available to highest bidder this offseason. If anyone cares to take a look.

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

If I’m not mistaken, some of the cap hits can be converted up to a point with cash and less the hits. But that requires the owners to fork over money out of pocket. Hard to do in a down year. 

Yeah that is what I have laid out over in that other thread. I've pretty much recovered as much money for them as I can for them to be able to field a team and its extremely ugly.

Not sure if you went there after here, but known you were over there as well.

Makes available some guys that definitely fill our needs.

37 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

How does Rivers retiring effect Colts cap 

If we go young it gives us a lot of money to spend elsewhere.

If we go vet it will probably be close to a wash. Could be a little more or could be a little less.?

3 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I think Mariota is bang for your buck if we could strike a deal with Gruden. I wanna say he is like 8 mil a year.

Tbh, Mariota isn't that bad an option, could be a decent fall back option. 

Still holding out for Stafford.:goodluck:

On 1/17/2021 at 10:04 PM, w87r said:

1. Lattimore - $10m cap hit, likely sign to long term extension, cost a 1st or 2nd+.

So that would be maybe $36m out of our $68m if we could get Rivers to take around $15m.

I broke down the Saints cap situation in link below, it shows how/why these guys will most likely be available to highest bidder this offseason. If anyone cares to take a look.

I would love Ramczyk. 

What would it take pick wise to get him?

On 1/17/2021 at 10:04 PM, w87r said:

I would love Lattimore

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

I would love Lattimore

Would be a solid acquisition.

Maybe could get him for a 2?

He won't be playing in NO next hear regardless, unless cap comes in way higher than projections.

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

We need playmakers not more offensive linemen

Well, we so need a Tackle.

I would take both of them.

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would love Lattimore

He could bring the D to a respectable level. Let's roll with Eason....lol.  Build around him much like Steelers built around Ben in his early days.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Would be a solid acquisition.

Maybe could get him for a 2?

He won't be playing in NO next hear regardless, unless cap comes in way higher than projections.

Well, we so need a Tackle.

I would take both of them.

I would rather go Lattimore and Galloway

On 1/21/2021 at 5:13 PM, w87r said:

Tbh, Mariota isn't that bad an option, could be a decent fall back option. 

Still holding out for Stafford.:goodluck:

There is a lot of crap being thrown around right now. For all we know, the Colts could have zero interest in Stafford or Darnold. They maybe locked in on a guy in the draft. This could b the year the move up. They r far back but maybe they r intent on trading picks and maybe even include one of their young players who is going to demand a 2nd contract. If they don't even sniff around Stafford, that tells me that have plan.

13 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would rather go Lattimore and Galloway

Galloway is slipping my brain right now?

Orlando Brown Jr might be on the outs in Baltimore, he claims he is a LT and they have Ronnie Stanley. He is in last year of rookie deal, so they probably won't be paying him? Rumor has it he could be moved, could be an interesting option.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/29/orlando-brown-tweets-im-a-left-tackle/

3 hours ago, Shive said:

Came here to post that Schefter tweet:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/02/07/more-evidence-emerges-of-a-180-million-salary-cap/

The superstars will still get their money. The rookies will still get their money. The veterans in the NFL’s broad middle class could end up getting screwed, as the losses arising from the ongoing pandemic hit the cap hard in 2021.

Whether they’re cut and forced to look elsewhere for something/anything, whether they’re squeezed to take less to stay put, or whether they’re free agents who don’t realize the money won’t flow like it usually does, 2021 is going to potentially be a rough year for the cut of player between the best of the best and the wage-scaled youngsters.

13 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

That is good news

Was suspected really.

Knew it wouldn't rise up to much from that $175m floor.

Any extra money if good money though, especially for the teams operating over the cap. Might get us an extra player, doesn't move the needle to much for u

• w87r unpinned this topic

Archived