Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Big Grover gets a three year extension

KB

3 hours ago, Jdubu said:

Would have been interesting to see this signing occur after this upcoming game without Buckner. If he has a terrible game without him, would his contract offer go down a bit saying yeah, let’s see your tape with Buck and without. Idk. Of course if he dominates tomorrow, the player can do the same and say I need a little more cash. Glad he is successful in his contract 

Thats my only concern. He has his best year after teaming with Buckner. He comes in at his best condition and it is his contract year. This smells very similar to the Moore signing and lets hope it works out. I may have waited till after this game since Buckner cant play lol.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

We have $65-$67m in space as of now.

No QB other than Eason, 23 FAs and our draft picks($5-$7m).

TYs contract is not included in the cap number, we have no relief there.

I dont see how TY will be brought back unless he takes lile $5m a season.

If Rivers is brought back that will be $20-$25m by it's self.

Given there is a small chance the cap won't drop to the $175m floor, but we are going to need cap relief.

Isn't Hilton's contract up at the end of this year?    You don't think he's going to take a hair cut on his next deal?

Fair point about the cap floor moving because of Covid....   I didn't factor that in...

As for Hilton,  I think he takes a smaller number plus incentives and comes back on a 1-year deal with maybe a 1-year option.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

Isn't Hilton's contract up at the end of this year?    You don't think he's going to take a hair cut on his next deal?

Fair point about the cap floor moving because of Covid....   I didn't factor that in...

As for Hilton,  I think he takes a smaller number plus incentives and comes back on a 1-year deal with maybe a 1-year option.

Yeah his contract is up, but that is already figured into the cap space.

Any deal he would potentially sign comes out of that $65-$67m. $60m after draft picks arw signed.

Team is going to have a lot of tough decisions to make.

We probably should create a thread for this so we don't derail Grovers deal, but all this is ramifications of his $10m salary so its probably ok.

16 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Stewart is an interesting story here...

Drafted at the bottom of the 4th round in Ballard's first draft for us, 2017, along with Mack and the giant OL from USC.

But it's taken Stewart 4 years to show this much.   There's no one in this thread who 6 months ago was predicting that Stewart was going to be rewarded with a deal for $10 Mill a year.    No one.    Now, he's played really well and he's getting paid.   Great.

I hope this is a lesson for those who love to proclaim that certain players from the 2018, 19 or even the 2020 draft aren't ever going to be good because they've seen enough to know.    No one saw enough about Stewart to know.   Fans are notoriously impatient.   If the player isn't Nelson or Leonard, who were great on Day 1,  fans get impatient waiting for a player to develop.  

Hmmmm... Buckner signs and Grover has opportunity to play wirh a top 3 DT. He comes in at his best shape in his contract year. He is having his best year.  I just think it was a rich contract. The Buckner factor and it being his contract year (comes in best shape) would have made me  a little hesitant.

25 minutes ago, w87r said:

I dony want to cut/trade them either but how are we going to fill out the roster?

As I posted above Glow clears $5.25m and Doyle clears $4.35m in space.

Tough decisions need to be made.

I agree there will be tough decisions. Just not sure those 2 will be targets. The DE situation concerns me most with our current top 2 or 3 being FAs. It's going to depend a lot on who they choose to draft early IMO. 

Have they said anything about the cap for 21 (relative to covid impact)?

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Hmmmm... Buckner signs and Grover has opportunity to play wirh a top 3 DT. He comes in at his best shape in his contract year. He is having his best year.  I just think it was a rich contract. The Buckner factor and it being his contract year (comes in best shape) would have made me  a little hesitant.

Not me.  They will play next to each other for many years.  Only good can come out of that.  Now let's hope Turay can get rolling.  

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

I agree there will be tough decisions. Just not sure those 2 will be targets. The DE situation concerns me most with our current top 2 or 3 being FAs. It's going to depend a lot on who they choose to draft early IMO. 

Have they said anything about the cap for 21 (relative to covid impact)?

They've said(Im assuming you mean NFL), the cap will drop no lower than $175m which is a substantial drop, around 10%.

Like I posted above though, those 2 are the only ones that bring any kind of substantial relief. 

19 minutes ago, w87r said:

They've said(Im assuming you mean NFL), the cap will drop no lower than $175m which is a substantial drop, around 10%.

Like I posted above though, those 2 are the only ones that bring any kind of substantial relief. 

Yup, I meant NFL. I knew about the floor, but I know they said depending on revenues, it could be higher. Didn't know if they've said anything about revenues thus far.

You're triggering me to want to go an early deep dive our cap lol.. I normally do that each Janurary.

40 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Thats my only concern. He has his best year after teaming with Buckner. He comes in at his best condition and it is his contract year. This smells very similar to the Moore signing and lets hope it works out. I may have waited till after this game since Buckner cant play lol.

Lol. Moore is with every penny we paid him. Buckner is here another four seasons so they will be playing together.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup, I meant NFL. I knew about the floor, but I know they said depending on revenues, it could be higher. Didn't know if they've said anything about revenues thus far.

You're triggering me to want to go an early deep dive our cap lol.. I normally do that each Janurary.

I created a thread for it.

Didn't mean to trigger you. Lol. Just sone things are starting to come to the light.

Haven't heard anything about what the cap will be, hopefully it can come in a little higher.

We are still in better shape than most teams though.

1 hour ago, w87r said:

Yeah I get it.

Couple that with now we will have around $65m in cap space next year. Things will be getting tight.

that is a lot of money though .   we dont have to spend money on leonard and nelson  or smith next year they can still play on rookie deals you sign them next year in their 4th year to take effect in 2022 .    hitlon is done  AC is gonna retire colts will replace him with a 1st round pick .  houston is done here rhodes and tj are probably done also with with colts going to the draft to replace a corner .   then more money will fall off before we have to sign other guys .

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

that is a lot of money though .   we dont have to spend money on leonard and nelson  or smith next year they can still play on rookie deals you sign them next year in their 4th year to take effect in 2022 .    hitlon is done  AC is gonna retire colts will replace him with a 1st round pick .  houston is done here rhodes and tj are probably done also with with colts going to the draft to replace a corner .   then more money will fall off before we have to sign other guys .

Its really not when the only QB under contract is Eason.

1 minute ago, w87r said:

Its really not when the only QB under contract is Eason.

for next year we dont have to pay nelson leonard or smith yet so a one year deal with rivers is fine and even one year deal with AC  and rhodes  let hilton walker  hooker mack leave .    then the year after replace rivers with eason draft a back up and the cap goes up we sign smith leonard nelson with 45 million .  then we can have another 30 million when the cap goes up

Just now, coming on strong said:

for next year we dont have to pay nelson leonard or smith yet so a one year deal with rivers is fine and even one year deal with AC  and rhodes  let hilton walker  hooker mack leave .    then the year after replace rivers with eason draft a back up and the cap goes up we sign smith leonard nelson with 45 million .  then we can have another 30 million when the cap goes up

Go look at the salary cap thread I created.

3 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Lol. Moore is with every penny we paid him. Buckner is here another four seasons so they will be playing together.

My point was that Ballard took a chance and signed Moore before his contract year was up . Sort of say a pre-emptive strike and it worked. I am not sure bout Grover.  I never sign a player that comes in the best shape of his life in his contract year. What about the other 3 years before this year? Why wasnt he in his best shape then? Just saying. It will b interesting to see Grover perform this week in Buckner's absence.  I think Grover is a good player, I just think they overpaid for what he brings to the team.

6 hours ago, TheMiz said:

You don't hire/fire people or make salary decisions based off of one day at work...you look at the overall picture. 

The overall picture yes, the ability to star without supporting cast, that’s the question. I like him, I think he has grown every year and I’m glad we have him however, you are dismissing what leverage a team or a player has by saying well ( insert leverage ). 
Let’s  just say Stewart would really struggle terribly while Buck is out, who would have the leverage and now that’s on tape for other GM’s to also make decisions from. Conversely, the same is true for Stewart if he balled out in the absence of Buck. It’s just the nature of the game. Each side gamble on their situations. 

5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

My point was that Ballard took a chance and signed Moore before his contract year was up . Sort of say a pre-emptive strike and it worked. I am not sure bout Grover.  I never sign a player that comes in the best shape of his life in his contract year. What about the other 3 years before this year? Why wasnt he in his best shape then? Just saying. It will b interesting to see Grover perform this week in Buckner's absence.  I think Grover is a good player, I just think they overpaid for what he brings to the team.

The dude has worked his tail off from day one of being drafted. 

He was in shape, I don't get where you get the idea he wasn't? 

He actually trains with the receivers running. 

14 hours ago, w87r said:

I dony want to cut/trade them either but how are we going to fill out the roster?

As I posted above Glow clears $5.25m and Doyle clears $4.35m in space.

Tough decisions need to be made.

Couplethat with the compensatory picks he may garner, it may be the long term  game plan. 

5 hours ago, coming on strong said:

grover has been great we shall see what he looks like without buckner taking double teams .  titans can now double grover or houston all game so if lewis cannot get pressure its gonna be a long day.

Don’t discount Lewis’ game... I hope he shows out today. Big opportunity. He’s played well this year when on the field.

3 minutes ago, coming on strong said:

i have a bad feeling buckner made grover look good .   good thing is after two years colts can back out

Hard to tell from this game, but his stats weren't great by any measuring stick. Nor the eye test. I'll refrain from bagging on him till I see the advanced stats with pressures lol.. But didn't look great, only had 4 Ts (Stallworth had as many), and zero sacks or QBHs.

That said... Grover played out of position today, but yes, it's a fair concern. Glad we locked him up, but IMO, too much. 

Archived