Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Big Grover gets a three year extension


Recommended Posts

Would have been interesting to see this signing occur after this upcoming game without Buckner. If he has a terrible game without him, would his contract offer go down a bit saying yeah, let’s see your tape with Buck and without. Idk. Of course if he dominates tomorrow, the player can do the same and say I need a little more cash. Glad he is successful in his contract 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very much deserved. Love his story too. Small school guy drafted right around where he should have been, and with hard work and time developed himself into a good starter. Definition of a lunch pail and hard hat type of guys.

 

Heres to hoping we find more Grover Stewart’s in the draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Would have been interesting to see this signing occur after this upcoming game without Buckner. If he has a terrible game without him, would his contract offer go down a bit saying yeah, let’s see your tape with Buck and without. Idk. Of course if he dominates tomorrow, the player can do the same and say I need a little more cash. Glad he is successful in his contract 

You don't hire/fire people or make salary decisions based off of one day at work...you look at the overall picture. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very happy to have him locked up. As to all the comments about this signing being a "friendly contract" though. It's not really "friendly" at all... Makes him the 16th highest paid interior DL in the league, which includes 3 tech guys. I didn't go through the list and split out who is 3 tech and who are NTs, but I'm guessing it puts Grover in the top 3-5ish paid NTs. I also think it's also fair to question the impact of adding Buckner, like @Jdubu mentioned.

 

Here's the list if anyone wants to go and break down the 3 techs vs NTs.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/defensive-tackle/

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Very happy to have him locked up. As to all the comments about this signing being a "friendly contract" though. It's not really "friendly" at all... Makes him the 16th highest paid interior DL in the league, which includes 3 tech guys. I didn't go through the list and split out who is 3 tech and who are NTs, but I'm guessing it puts Grover in the top 3-5ish paid NTs. I also think it's also fair to question the impact of adding Buckner, like @Jdubu mentioned.

 

Here's the list if anyone wants to go and break down the 3 techs vs NTs.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/defensive-tackle/

It is $3m cheaper/yr than DJ Readers deal though.

 

I get your point though.

 

 

Would call it a mildly friendly deal, because it could of been more,l for sure.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, w87r said:

It is $3m cheaper/yr than DJ Readers deal though.

 

I get your point though.

 

Would call it a mildly friendly deal, because it could of been more,l for sure.

Reader was a monster though. Current health challenges aside, he was high 70s and 80s (PFF) for several years to earn that contract. And even then, a lot of folks were a bit surprised he got the contract. Grover has yet to break into the 70s. 

 

I just wouldn't call the contract friendly at all. If anything, I'd call it mildly unfriendly. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact we have him locked up. I love some of the things we've seen from him this year. That play a few games ago when he chased a RB down from behind was tremendous for a NT. He's been pretty good at Ts so far. The only ding on him this year is I don't think he's registered a sack yet. Reader has 13 QBHs last year, and some sacks. Only point is, he'll be another top 5ish paid guy at the position. We're going to have a lot of those.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Reader was a monster though. Current health challenges aside, he was high 70s and 80s (PFF) for several years to earn that contract. And even then, a lot of folks were a bit surprised he got the contract. Grover has yet to break into the 70s. 

 

I just wouldn't call the contract friendly at all. If anything, I'd call it mildly unfriendly. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact we have him locked up. I love some of the things we've seen from him this year. That play a few games ago when he chased a RB down from behind was tremendous for a NT. He's been pretty good at Ts so far. The only ding on him this year is I don't think he's registered a sack yet. Reader has 13 QBHs last year, and some sacks. Only point is, he'll be another top 5ish paid guy at the position. We're going to have a lot of those.

 

 

Yeah I get it.

 

Couple that with now we will have around $65m in cap space next year. Things will be getting tight.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah I get it.

 

Couple that with now we will have around $65m in cap space next year. Things will be getting tight.

Very tight. I've been wanting to look at salary cap closer with some of the big contracts coming up in the next two years. I'm just really happy that Ballard is hitting on a lot of the draft picks. Even so, you have to think there will be some casualties.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Very tight. I've been wanting to look at salary cap closer with some of the big contracts coming up in the next two years. I'm just really happy that Ballard is hitting on a lot of the draft picks. Even so, you have to think there will be some casualties.

I think we will probably be moving on from Glowinski and Doyle next year. That alone will free up about $12m.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think we will probably be moving on from Glowinski and Doyle next year. That alone will free up about $12m.

 

Didn't someone post recently that Glow was enjoying a bounceback year and is one of the highest graded O-lineman?

 

And you think we're moving on?    Why?

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think we will probably be moving on from Glowinski and Doyle next year. That alone will free up about $12m.

You think? Doyle is a hometown guy that we just extended. I know there's a contract out, but his cap hit the next two years is actually less than this year and years past. Glow is having his best year and is under contract through 21. He's probably the last guy I'd see us cutting after the season.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Didn't someone post recently that Glow was enjoying a bounceback year and is one of the highest graded O-lineman?

 

And you think we're moving on?    Why?

 

Because money will be to tight. Cap casualty. Not that I want to move on from him.

 

 

Sometimes you have to make tough decisions.

 

As of now we are down to $65m to spend, with Eason as our only QB and 23 FAs.

 

Releasing him gives us $5.25m more cap space.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You think? Doyle is a hometown guy that we just extended. I know there's a contract out, but his cap hit the next two years is actually less than this year and years past. Glow is having his best year and is under contract through 21. He's probably the last guy I'd see us cutting after the season.

I dony want to cut/trade them either but how are we going to fill out the roster?

 

As I posted above Glow clears $5.25m and Doyle clears $4.35m in space.

 

 

Tough decisions need to be made.

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Stewart is an interesting story here...

 

Drafted at the bottom of the 4th round in Ballard's first draft for us, 2017, along with Mack and the giant OL from USC.

 

But it's taken Stewart 4 years to show this much.   There's no one in this thread who 6 months ago was predicting that Stewart was going to be rewarded with a deal for $10 Mill a year.    No one.    Now, he's played really well and he's getting paid.   Great.

 

I hope this is a lesson for those who love to proclaim that certain players from the 2018, 19 or even the 2020 draft aren't ever going to be good because they've seen enough to know.    No one saw enough about Stewart to know.   Fans are notoriously impatient.   If the player isn't Nelson or Leonard, who were great on Day 1,  fans get impatient waiting for a player to develop.  

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Because money will be to tight. Cap casualty. Not that I want to move on from him.

 

 

Sometimes you have to make tough decisions.

 

As of now we are down to $65m to spend, with Eason as our only QB and 23 FAs.

 

Releasing him gives us $5.25m more cap space.

 

I agree on Doyle.   I'm not there yet with Glow.     You may be right....   but I wouldn't put this better than 50/50 at this point.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Also those are the o ly 2 thay provide substantial cap relief.

 

I'm not sure how much salary cap relief we're going to need?    If any.....

 

I'd also float that I think TYH's contract number is going to be much smaller.   So, there's some relief coming.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

I'm not sure how much salary cap relief we're going to need?    If any.....

 

I'd also float that I think TYH's contract number is going to be much smaller.   So, there's some relief coming.

 

We have $65-$67m in space as of now.

 

No QB other than Eason, 23 FAs and our draft picks($5-$7m).

 

TYs contract is not included in the cap number, we have no relief there.

 

 

I dont see how TY will be brought back unless he takes lile $5m a season.

 

If Rivers is brought back that will be $20-$25m by it's self.

 

 

Given there is a small chance the cap won't drop to the $175m floor, but we are going to need cap relief.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • OK.....   Found it.   There's a section, roughly 11:30 minutes long.   It runs from approx 35:00 to approx 46:30.   Kevin almost downplays that he he has sources,  says he's heard talk,  but he makes a very strong and compelling case where he connects the dots.     And the dots seem to connect.   Dodds interviews for the Detroit job.   Somewhere in that talk,  the Lions likely share that Stafford wants to move on.  And the Lions will look to trade him.    That there's no way that Rivers would retire after talking up wanting to come back,  after recently moving his family to Indy, and his kids have been enrolled in exclusive schools in the area,  and then turn around and suddenly hang 'em up.    That Indy wanted to treat Rivers with respect and likely said to him that he can handle his retirement any way he wants,  and the colts will support that.    Kevin says Indy fans should feel good if this is true,  because to him it signals that Indy and Ballard have a plan.   He also turns around and says if the trade for Stafford doesn't work out,  then he hopes they can trade up and draft their QB of the future.   That things will get difficult for the Colts if the Stafford deal doesn't happen,  the Colts situation suddenly looks much more difficult.   Kevin clearly says this is his interpretation of the events.   I think he makes a strong argument.   But he does not cite sources.  He didn't get an inside tip.   But this is how he thinks the scenario played out.   Go listen to the passage.   See what you think.  
    • Cowboys have ~13m in cap space going into the 2021 offseason.  Most FAs are not worthy to resign it appears except for Jourdan Lewis and S Xavier Woods.  If the Cowboys tag Dak they will be immediately in the red.  So where is this extra cap space coming from to resign or tag Dak?    Logical the Boys are at the point where they must decide to cut young starting LG Connor Wiliams save ~1.8m against the cap.  Seems also need to cut K Greg Zuerlein and add another 1.5m savings.  Randy Gregory would be an easy cut as well saving another 1.2m.  Now we are talking about ~18.3 in available cap space.  Can keep cutting players like TE Dalton Shultz boost cap by another 1.5m.  Punter Chris Jones would be another likely candidate imo to get cut and save another 1.4m and now were only at 21.2m in savings.  That’s the bulk of their team from where I can see them gaining capital back.  One other player is WR Michael Gallup that could save them 1.7m but can realistically see used as trade bait to gain extra draft picks.  Bottom line is I cannot see the Cowboys resigning or even attempting to franchise tag Prescott and have no choice but to draft a low cost young QB replacement in the draft with their first pick.  Don't be surprised to see Dallas move up on Day 1 and trade Gallup for the lost draft capital to help offset.   Welcome Dak to the Colts and let’s go digest the rest of offseason.  When the Rams signed QB Goff to an average of $33.5 million per year Prescott reportedly was seeking a new deal in the $34 million per year range.  I didn’t add salary incentives this year just base salary due to cap reductions this year but added $10 million bonus each next 3 years and increased pay scale from 35, 36, 38, 40 million next few years.   64.887m cap space 2021 * updated OTC as of 01/27   Retired Rivers AC   Cut Skia Moore – 850k   FA Signings QB Dak Prescott - 35m increasing 40m next 4 years LT Roderick Johnson 2m/yr.  PFF stated he played 245 OL snaps only allowing 3 penalties and 1 sacks last season.  Would be a solid acquisition even coming from the Texans. RDE Dawuane Smoot 5m/4yr.  A little faster than Muhammad should be good in-house competition LCB Ahkello Witherspoon 3m/3yrs – Real deal CB imo get this guy signed ASAP even if means deselecting another   Colts FA’s lost Autry Hooker Clark – wanted to retire Walker JR Mack Wilson STP Houston Green Brissett Hilton   Unrestricted Free Agents: Carrie STP 1 / 1.5m – solid back  Hunt 2 /950k   Burton 1 / 3m – played 33% of snaps Stallworth - 1 / 750 k * updated colts already extended Dulin 2 / 1m STP *update Colts already extended Rhodes –played 87% snaps on a 1.5m contract resign 3m/year deal Muhammad (starter) – 4 / 3m first year Odum resign less than RFA 1m   Restricted Free Agents:  MAC UDFA – 2nd Round Tender 3.422m Pascal RFA 2nd Round tender 3.422m Smith ERFA 1 / 850 k STP   OTC says 74 players under contract and OTC Cap Room projected 9.322m for 2021   Draft Needs: LT, WR, LDE, SS, RB   Draft:   R1 LT Christian Darrisaw (Virginia Tech) – Long shot but my dream selection here and pending Combine could see him move higher in RD 1   R2 WR Nico Collins (Michigan) - 2019 led Big 10 receivers 0.0% drop rate and 81.3% contested catch rate and had the highest broken-tackle rate   R3 Edge/LB Charles Snowden (Virginia) - Snowden stands 6-foot-7. SAM linebacker blitzing / played both ends or more of a 3-4 OLB.  Great football awareness very solid in run support.  2018 breakout star along with Rock Ya.  With his size and speed like to switch him to 4-3 Edge.   R4 ILB Garret Wallow (TCU) Extremely athletic with impressive sideline-to-sideline speed and can lineup in the box, cover the slot and has a good grasp of where he should be in zone defense.   R5 SS Divine Deablo (Virginia Tech) - has elite size and excellent speed.  Very strong player/good tackler.  Bit tight in his hips limit his range but we need a decent backup and he should do fine.   R6 RB Devin Wynn (Furman) – Decent ground game.  Rarely used in pass plays.   R7 WR Emeka Emezie (NC St) - Z position size and speed to separate.  Willing blocker in Run game.  Impressive hands in contested engagements.  Impressive layout diving catch vs Virginia 6:13 3Q.  Originally struggled with dropped passes but cleaned that up this year.   UDFA MLB Blake Gallagher (Northwestern) – Bit on the small side 6’0” but one heck of a tackler in the open field.  All-Big 10 honors in 2018 after a campaign that saw him tally 127 stops (7.5 for a loss) and an interception.  Wisconsin game had a good QB strip for turnover.  Good chase angles and hustle down field.  Tip ball caused team INT.  Impressing blitz sack.  Looks good in both run, blitz and coverage support.   Overall a solid group to build upon.  For 2022 can see our focus on TEs, RCB and potentially LDE if we move Snowden to SLB.  Shall see how well Wallow does his rookie season before adjusting.  We got a young QB for long-term.   The Colts should be playoff contenders for many years.   3WR 1TE   QB Dak Prescott Jacob Eason   RB Jonathan Taylor Nyheim Hines Jordan Wilkins Devin Wynn   WR Nico Collins Emeka Emezie Ashton Dulin Gary Jennins   WR Michael Pittman Jr. Dezmon Patmon Quartney Davis   WR Zach Pascal Parris Campbell DeMichael Harris   TE Jack Doyle Trey Burton Mo Alie-Cox Noah Togiai   LT Christian Darrisaw Roderick Johnson   LG Quenton Nelson Joey Hunt   C Ryan Kelly Danny Pinter   RG Mark Glowinski Jake Eldrenkamp   RT Branden Smith Will Holden   Base 4-3 D   LDE Charles Snowden Ben Banogu Kemoko Turay   LDT DeForest Buckner Tyquan Lewis   RDT Grover Stewart Taylor Stallworth   RDE Al-Quadin Muhammad Dawuane Smoot Kemoko Turay   WLB Darius Leonard Matthew Adams   MLB Garret Wallow Zaire Franklin Jordan Glasgow   SLB Bobby Okereke E.J. Speed   LCB Ahkello Witherspoon Rock Ya-Sin Kenny Moore II Isaiah Rodgers   SS Khari Willis Divine Deablo   FS Julian Blackmon George Odum Ibraheim Campbell   RCB Xavier Rhodes T.J. Carrie Marvell Tell III Tremon Smith  
    • 36-minute mark.   His sources are solid.  I know that for a fact.
    • I'm over 20 minutes in and barely a word about Rivers.   Not even a tease that Bowen has inside info about how and why Rivers resigned so soon.     Nothing.   Sigh......   Ughhhh.....  
    • OK, well I  hope Ballard considers my own favorite: Johnny Football! He could create multiple different directions.
  • Members

    • Robert Johnson

      Robert Johnson 97

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • OhioColt

      OhioColt 75

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • nzh201vs

      nzh201vs 3

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Smoke317

      Smoke317 1,144

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • zibby43

      zibby43 1,146

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Hoose

      Hoose 1,038

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • adubb84

      adubb84 342

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...