Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Big Grover gets a three year extension

KB

Would have been interesting to see this signing occur after this upcoming game without Buckner. If he has a terrible game without him, would his contract offer go down a bit saying yeah, let’s see your tape with Buck and without. Idk. Of course if he dominates tomorrow, the player can do the same and say I need a little more cash. Glad he is successful in his contract 

Very much deserved. Love his story too. Small school guy drafted right around where he should have been, and with hard work and time developed himself into a good starter. Definition of a lunch pail and hard hat type of guys.

Heres to hoping we find more Grover Stewart’s in the draft.

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

Would have been interesting to see this signing occur after this upcoming game without Buckner. If he has a terrible game without him, would his contract offer go down a bit saying yeah, let’s see your tape with Buck and without. Idk. Of course if he dominates tomorrow, the player can do the same and say I need a little more cash. Glad he is successful in his contract 

You don't hire/fire people or make salary decisions based off of one day at work...you look at the overall picture. 

Very happy to have him locked up. As to all the comments about this signing being a "friendly contract" though. It's not really "friendly" at all... Makes him the 16th highest paid interior DL in the league, which includes 3 tech guys. I didn't go through the list and split out who is 3 tech and who are NTs, but I'm guessing it puts Grover in the top 3-5ish paid NTs. I also think it's also fair to question the impact of adding Buckner, like @Jdubu mentioned.

Here's the list if anyone wants to go and break down the 3 techs vs NTs.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/defensive-tackle/

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Very happy to have him locked up. As to all the comments about this signing being a "friendly contract" though. It's not really "friendly" at all... Makes him the 16th highest paid interior DL in the league, which includes 3 tech guys. I didn't go through the list and split out who is 3 tech and who are NTs, but I'm guessing it puts Grover in the top 3-5ish paid NTs. I also think it's also fair to question the impact of adding Buckner, like @Jdubu mentioned.

Here's the list if anyone wants to go and break down the 3 techs vs NTs.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/average/defensive-tackle/

It is $3m cheaper/yr than DJ Readers deal though.

I get your point though.

Would call it a mildly friendly deal, because it could of been more,l for sure.

4 minutes ago, w87r said:

It is $3m cheaper/yr than DJ Readers deal though.

I get your point though.

Would call it a mildly friendly deal, because it could of been more,l for sure.

Reader was a monster though. Current health challenges aside, he was high 70s and 80s (PFF) for several years to earn that contract. And even then, a lot of folks were a bit surprised he got the contract. Grover has yet to break into the 70s. 

I just wouldn't call the contract friendly at all. If anything, I'd call it mildly unfriendly. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact we have him locked up. I love some of the things we've seen from him this year. That play a few games ago when he chased a RB down from behind was tremendous for a NT. He's been pretty good at Ts so far. The only ding on him this year is I don't think he's registered a sack yet. Reader has 13 QBHs last year, and some sacks. Only point is, he'll be another top 5ish paid guy at the position. We're going to have a lot of those.

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Reader was a monster though. Current health challenges aside, he was high 70s and 80s (PFF) for several years to earn that contract. And even then, a lot of folks were a bit surprised he got the contract. Grover has yet to break into the 70s. 

I just wouldn't call the contract friendly at all. If anything, I'd call it mildly unfriendly. Don't get me wrong, I love the fact we have him locked up. I love some of the things we've seen from him this year. That play a few games ago when he chased a RB down from behind was tremendous for a NT. He's been pretty good at Ts so far. The only ding on him this year is I don't think he's registered a sack yet. Reader has 13 QBHs last year, and some sacks. Only point is, he'll be another top 5ish paid guy at the position. We're going to have a lot of those.

Yeah I get it.

Couple that with now we will have around $65m in cap space next year. Things will be getting tight.

14 minutes ago, w87r said:

Yeah I get it.

Couple that with now we will have around $65m in cap space next year. Things will be getting tight.

Very tight. I've been wanting to look at salary cap closer with some of the big contracts coming up in the next two years. I'm just really happy that Ballard is hitting on a lot of the draft picks. Even so, you have to think there will be some casualties.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Very tight. I've been wanting to look at salary cap closer with some of the big contracts coming up in the next two years. I'm just really happy that Ballard is hitting on a lot of the draft picks. Even so, you have to think there will be some casualties.

I think we will probably be moving on from Glowinski and Doyle next year. That alone will free up about $12m.

7 minutes ago, w87r said:

I think we will probably be moving on from Glowinski and Doyle next year. That alone will free up about $12m.

Didn't someone post recently that Glow was enjoying a bounceback year and is one of the highest graded O-lineman?

And you think we're moving on?    Why?

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

You think? Doyle is a hometown guy that we just extended. I know there's a contract out, but his cap hit the next two years is actually less than this year and years past. Glow is having his best year and is under contract through 21. He's probably the last guy I'd see us cutting after the season.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Didn't someone post recently that Glow was enjoying a bounceback year and is one of the highest graded O-lineman?

And you think we're moving on?    Why?

Because money will be to tight. Cap casualty. Not that I want to move on from him.

Sometimes you have to make tough decisions.

As of now we are down to $65m to spend, with Eason as our only QB and 23 FAs.

Releasing him gives us $5.25m more cap space.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You think? Doyle is a hometown guy that we just extended. I know there's a contract out, but his cap hit the next two years is actually less than this year and years past. Glow is having his best year and is under contract through 21. He's probably the last guy I'd see us cutting after the season.

I dony want to cut/trade them either but how are we going to fill out the roster?

As I posted above Glow clears $5.25m and Doyle clears $4.35m in space.

Tough decisions need to be made.

Stewart is an interesting story here...

Drafted at the bottom of the 4th round in Ballard's first draft for us, 2017, along with Mack and the giant OL from USC.

But it's taken Stewart 4 years to show this much.   There's no one in this thread who 6 months ago was predicting that Stewart was going to be rewarded with a deal for $10 Mill a year.    No one.    Now, he's played really well and he's getting paid.   Great.

I hope this is a lesson for those who love to proclaim that certain players from the 2018, 19 or even the 2020 draft aren't ever going to be good because they've seen enough to know.    No one saw enough about Stewart to know.   Fans are notoriously impatient.   If the player isn't Nelson or Leonard, who were great on Day 1,  fans get impatient waiting for a player to develop.  

3 minutes ago, w87r said:

Because money will be to tight. Cap casualty. Not that I want to move on from him.

Sometimes you have to make tough decisions.

As of now we are down to $65m to spend, with Eason as our only QB and 23 FAs.

Releasing him gives us $5.25m more cap space.

I agree on Doyle.   I'm not there yet with Glow.     You may be right....   but I wouldn't put this better than 50/50 at this point.

5 minutes ago, w87r said:

Also those are the o ly 2 thay provide substantial cap relief.

I'm not sure how much salary cap relief we're going to need?    If any.....

I'd also float that I think TYH's contract number is going to be much smaller.   So, there's some relief coming.

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not sure how much salary cap relief we're going to need?    If any.....

I'd also float that I think TYH's contract number is going to be much smaller.   So, there's some relief coming.

We have $65-$67m in space as of now.

No QB other than Eason, 23 FAs and our draft picks($5-$7m).

TYs contract is not included in the cap number, we have no relief there.

I dont see how TY will be brought back unless he takes lile $5m a season.

If Rivers is brought back that will be $20-$25m by it's self.

Given there is a small chance the cap won't drop to the $175m floor, but we are going to need cap relief.

Archived