Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Article: Blackmon, the Front Runner for DROY

Dasteez

I was surprised to see Blackmon getting some recognition as a front runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year. I fully expected Chase Young to be at the top of any list; pedigree and position.

Blackmon still needs to make more big plays through the back portion of the season and the Colts making the playoffs would help solidify his case. In any event nice to see the man getting recognized for his outstanding play. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2919866-ranking-the-nfls-top-5-defensive-rookie-of-the-year-candidates-entering-week-12

They make a compelling argument. The Colts often are overlooked for awards but that broke loose with our two winners 2 years agp, though Leonard still got left out of the Pro Bowl.  The Washington team isn't all that popular with the NFL either so it will be interesting though unfortunate that some teams are not the Cowboys for example. Jones brings in the money on TV deals which gives the Cowboys and their mega market disproportionate attention, for example and the NFL least by extension of massive markets. Meanwhile Indy is third in market smallness I think ahead of NO and GB. (Maybe Jax and one or two others, can't recall off memory).  Let's hope the deserving guy wins.  

• NFLfan changed the title to Article: Blackmon, the Front Runner for DROY
55 minutes ago, Dasteez said:

I was surprised to see Blackmon getting some recognition as a front runner for Defensive Rookie of the Year.

That’s the by-product of being on a winning team with a top 5 defense. When you’re winning, your players tend to get more recognition. 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

That’s the by-product of being on a winning team with a top 5 defense. When you’re winning, your players tend to get more recognition. 

That’s fair and I completely agree. Reality is we’re a small market team with few prime time games. The case can also be made our Top 2 defense is a resultant of quality-of-opponents. 

A 3rd round pick drafted “too early” turning into a playmaker for what is now considered a good defense.

The man deserves the props. He was the difference between a W and an L last Sunday; the definition of game changer.

2 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

If he does another one of those run blitzes on dh this week that will help.  That was sick two weeks ago. 

Man, you're not kidding. The big turnovers in game changing situations will, deservedly, get the most recognition - and I'm thrilled by those, too. But as a very old time fan of this game because of the physicality of the great hits, that was probably my favorite play of his so far this season :D.

8 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Also a by-product of making a huge play in OT on a nationally televised game vs. an Aaron Rodgers led Packers team who had the best record in NFC coming into the game.  Had he made the same play against a team like the Bengals which didn't have as many people watching, the hype on Blackmon may not have spread so far beyond the Colts fans who watch the Colts every week.

• 4 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, compuls1v3 said:

Thus far it seems like Blackmon can make plays, but he's tapered off these last few games.  Haven't heard his name unless it's him getting beat in coverage, which doesn't bode well for a FS.  Hopefully this changes soon.

He's hit a wall. He still has that play making ability. The relaxed scheme hasn't really helped anyone on the back end look good in the most recent weeks 

13 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

He's hit a wall. He still has that play making ability. The relaxed scheme hasn't really helped anyone on the back end look good in the most recent weeks 

Totally agree. Even Kenny Moore looked pedestrian last week. 

Archived