Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ball carriers stiff arming would be tacklers


Recommended Posts

I picked a great picture to place for this topic, huh?

Well, if you take a closer look the guy being stiff armed just lost the battle... Why? Because his neck was not stronger that the fully stretched arm of the runner.

Here is my question: why is stiff arming the face of a tackler not called a penalty as common as a lineman doing it at the line of scrimmage?

I have contacted the commissioner, the Colts organization, Peyton Manning(as you know had neck surgery) and others about this issue but with no response.

The NFL will probably say that there has not been any injuries to tacklers being stiff armed...but, dang! How many players are playing with neck injuries and pain but won’t say anything about it?

Today’s players are tackling like mad men and is exciting to watch, but when someone gets a spinal cord injury what happens next?

A lot of time spend to protect the brain with an improved helmet, but it is the neck that has to support the helmet and the brain.

Any if you have neck problems because of playing football?

Your thoughts.

17D9CB38-4377-48C2-AAA8-CBB03FCBA8B9.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2020 at 2:45 PM, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

Here is my question: why is stiff arming the face of a tackler not called a penalty as common as a lineman doing it at the line of scrimmage?

This is a really interesting question.  Hands to the face is a penalty but not a stiff arm.  I don’t know the answer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2020 at 2:45 PM, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

I have contacted the commissioner, the Colts organization, Peyton Manning(as you know had neck surgery) and others about this issue but with no response.

 

Oh, well there's your problem right there. You need to talk to people who are lonely and isolated. I suggest Curtis Painter.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2020 at 2:45 PM, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

Here is my question: why is stiff arming the face of a tackler not called a penalty as common as a lineman doing it at the line of scrimmage?

Any player possessing the football – a runner or receiver after a catch (now also a runner) – may use an open hand to ward off a defender trying to make a tackle. The feeling is that a runner is limited in his ability to ward off defenders because his other hand is securing the football.

 

However, he may not grab or twist the face mask of the defender, but he may only use the open hand against the defenders helmet or face mask.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Any player possessing the football – a runner or receiver after a catch (now also a runner) – may use an open hand to ward off a defender trying to make a tackle. The feeling is that a runner is limited in his ability to ward off defenders because his other hand is securing the football.

 

However, he may not grab or twist the face mask of the defender, but he may only use the open hand against the defenders helmet or face mask.

image.thumb.png.bb2f7cd5223c78bcb096131f80b18a3a.png How about stiff footing? :strong:

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay, some good responses.

As far as Curtis Painter, I get it LOL!

Stiff footing looks like another protective move by the runner, so by your response should be okay...again, LOL!

As I mentioned, the responses are good. I work with patients with spinal cord injuries from trauma by MVA to sports.

Recovery is slow and a lot do not recover and their lives are forever changed.

Thanks for not joking about this topic.

Go Colts!

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

Okay, some good responses.

As far as Curtis Painter, I get it LOL!

Stiff footing looks like another protective move by the runner, so by your response should be okay...again, LOL!

As I mentioned, the responses are good. I work with patients with spinal cord injuries from trauma by MVA to sports.

Recovery is slow and a lot do not recover and their lives are forever changed.

Thanks for not joking about this topic.

Go Colts!

 

Been there, done that 2 times.

I have had two cervical spine surgeries. 

The 1st one they replaced 1 cervical disk with a cadaver disk just to go thru the rehab to find it didn't work.

The 2nd one they replaced 4 cervical disk with 4 cadaver disk and inserted a metal rod. 

My life did change forever as it put me on very early disability. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Plus the playmaking defense.    For Stafford id think its between us a SF. But this is up to the lions FO. 
    • I mean... everybody says that and right now maybe we are the best option for him, but would that be the same in 2 years time? Who knows...    About the pick compensation - yes, I would really hope Ballard doesn't go into a bidding war with other teams. Have a firm price set and don't go over it. 1st and 3d is about the max I would be willing to give for 33 year old Stafford. 
    • Stafford has been very public about his number one goal:   Winning.   (His words, not mine).   He’s not going to want to leave because we want to pay him $25m instead of $30+ million.   The Colts give Stafford the best chance of winning.   Period.  Leaving the Colts for a money grab would be the worst look possible for him.  I don’t see that as a worry.  Honestly.    My bigger concern is the cost in draft picks to acquire him.  There may be a bidding war, which could prove very expensive.   At some point, I could see Ballard dropping out.   We will likely know in the next 6 weeks. 
    • He is 33 and has 2 years left on reasonable contract. After that you will have to give him a contract in the realm of what other top QBs are getting now and he will be getting older... So you will either have to pay big or lose him and this is while all our young pieces are moving out of their rookie contracts... So we will start losing some of them. So IMO IF we get Stafford this will be the golden window to try to go all in...  Use Stafford's best remaining years at the best contract you will have him at, to try to surround him with best talent we can get while our young player are still cheap. Later he will be older/worse on worse contract and our young studs we either be paid much more (less money to get reinforcement elsewhere) or will be gone.    So... Go all in NOW. This doesn't mean you concede the later years, but IMO the best chance we have are the next 2 years if we get Stafford. This is legitimate Superbowl contender if we can get one of the top receivers, a very good pass-rusher and some solid CBs. 
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...