Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ball carriers stiff arming would be tacklers

Mighty Blue

I picked a great picture to place for this topic, huh?

Well, if you take a closer look the guy being stiff armed just lost the battle... Why? Because his neck was not stronger that the fully stretched arm of the runner.

Here is my question: why is stiff arming the face of a tackler not called a penalty as common as a lineman doing it at the line of scrimmage?

I have contacted the commissioner, the Colts organization, Peyton Manning(as you know had neck surgery) and others about this issue but with no response.

The NFL will probably say that there has not been any injuries to tacklers being stiff armed...but, dang! How many players are playing with neck injuries and pain but won’t say anything about it?

Today’s players are tackling like mad men and is exciting to watch, but when someone gets a spinal cord injury what happens next?

A lot of time spend to protect the brain with an improved helmet, but it is the neck that has to support the helmet and the brain.

Any if you have neck problems because of playing football?

Your thoughts.

17D9CB38-4377-48C2-AAA8-CBB03FCBA8B9.jpeg

On 11/27/2020 at 2:45 PM, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

Here is my question: why is stiff arming the face of a tackler not called a penalty as common as a lineman doing it at the line of scrimmage?

This is a really interesting question.  Hands to the face is a penalty but not a stiff arm.  I don’t know the answer. 

I have contacted the commissioner, the Colts organization, Peyton Manning(as you know had neck surgery) and others about this issue but with no response.

Oh, well there's your problem right there. You need to talk to people who are lonely and isolated. I suggest Curtis Painter.

Any player possessing the football – a runner or receiver after a catch (now also a runner) – may use an open hand to ward off a defender trying to make a tackle. The feeling is that a runner is limited in his ability to ward off defenders because his other hand is securing the football.

However, he may not grab or twist the face mask of the defender, but he may only use the open hand against the defenders helmet or face mask.

4 hours ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Any player possessing the football – a runner or receiver after a catch (now also a runner) – may use an open hand to ward off a defender trying to make a tackle. The feeling is that a runner is limited in his ability to ward off defenders because his other hand is securing the football.

However, he may not grab or twist the face mask of the defender, but he may only use the open hand against the defenders helmet or face mask.

image.thumb.png.bb2f7cd5223c78bcb096131f80b18a3a.png How about stiff footing? :strong:

Okay, some good responses.

As far as Curtis Painter, I get it LOL!

Stiff footing looks like another protective move by the runner, so by your response should be okay...again, LOL!

As I mentioned, the responses are good. I work with patients with spinal cord injuries from trauma by MVA to sports.

Recovery is slow and a lot do not recover and their lives are forever changed.

Thanks for not joking about this topic.

Go Colts!

7 hours ago, Colts Fan in Arizona said:

Okay, some good responses.

As far as Curtis Painter, I get it LOL!

Stiff footing looks like another protective move by the runner, so by your response should be okay...again, LOL!

As I mentioned, the responses are good. I work with patients with spinal cord injuries from trauma by MVA to sports.

Recovery is slow and a lot do not recover and their lives are forever changed.

Thanks for not joking about this topic.

Go Colts!

Been there, done that 2 times.

I have had two cervical spine surgeries. 

The 1st one they replaced 1 cervical disk with a cadaver disk just to go thru the rehab to find it didn't work.

The 2nd one they replaced 4 cervical disk with 4 cadaver disk and inserted a metal rod. 

My life did change forever as it put me on very early disability. 

Archived