Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Is 2020 Class approaching 2018 level? Indy Star


Recommended Posts

On 11/26/2020 at 11:31 PM, LJpalmbeacher2 said:

 

Let's wait for Ballard to get to a .500 overall record and maybe make a playoff run before we crown him king of all time. Lol.

The key to Ballard's/colts success is how our QB situation will be rectified in 2021 or 2022 depending  if Rivers returns. 

The AFC is full of good young QB's and the Jets &  division rival Jags are poised to add Elite talent to the position. Trying to compete with them for Championships with a average/below average QB will be uphill struggle. 

  This.

 

  But fanboys gonna do what fanboys do....

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:


by seasons end, it will be very close... 

 

you didn’t even mention Pittman or Taylor in that comment, which is concerning after their performances last week. They will be our go-to’s offensively for years... 

Taylor has been closer to a bust than an all pro.

I'm not giving up on him, but we need to see continued improvement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Myles said:

Taylor has been closer to a bust than an all pro.

I'm not giving up on him, but we need to see continued improvement.

Technically, everyone has in our 2020 draft besides Blackmon (and Buckner if you count him). All-Pro is a lot to ask for from 2nd round and lower rookies. I realize it's Ballard drafting these guys, but it does take time to acclimate to the NFL. Plus, Taylor has shown some good stuff. He's been average/above average so far which is worth a 2nd round pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Myles said:
1 hour ago, Myles said:

Taylor has been closer to a bust than an all pro.

I'm not giving up on him, but we need to see continued improvement.

I get the point you are making.  He isn’t a pro bowl RB but I don’t know if we ever will have one with this offense. However, Taylor was on pace for 1200 all purpose yards and 6 TDS.  I get that isn’t lighting the league on fire but would consider that a good rookie year from a 2nd round pick. Hopefully he improves like Mack did but stays healthy.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Technically, everyone has in our 2020 draft besides Blackmon (and Buckner if you count him). All-Pro is a lot to ask for from 2nd round and lower rookies. I realize it's Ballard drafting these guys, but it does take time to acclimate to the NFL. Plus, Taylor has shown some good stuff. He's been average/above average so far which is worth a 2nd round pick.

I wouldn't put him at average yet.  Certainly not above average.  3.8 YPC is concerning.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Myles said:

I wouldn't put him at average yet.  Certainly not above average.  3.8 YPC is concerning.

 

I'd put him at average because of his ability to catch the ball and his lack of fumbles (only one so far when fumbling was a concern coming out of college). He's not perfect, but he's getting the job done. I still think his bad performances correlate with his ankle injury. We'll see if that's true or not.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I'd put him at average because of his ability to catch the ball and his lack of fumbles (only one so far when fumbling was a concern coming out of college). He's not perfect, but he's getting the job done. I still think his bad performances correlate with his ankle injury. We'll see if that's true or not.

I don't mean to come across as bashing him.   I am far from giving up on him.  It's just that he has had more poor performances than impressive performances.   i certainly hold hope that he can be a great RB.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't mean to come across as bashing him.   I am far from giving up on him.  It's just that he has had more poor performances than impressive performances.   i certainly hold hope that he can be a great RB.  

I get it. Also remember in a couple games he had like 7 carries, so Reich did him no favors there. I can generally tell when a player is struggling or bad, and I think he's okay.

 

I'm someone who calls it like it on here. I'm not 100% positive or negative, I'm honest and tell it like it is. You can trust me here. :thmup:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I get it. Also remember in a couple games he had like 7 carries, so Reich did him no favors there. I can generally tell when a player is struggling or bad, and I think he's okay.

 

I'm someone who calls it like it on here. I'm not 100% positive or negative, I'm honest and tell it like it is. You can trust me here. :thmup:

I don't like to compare players to other players because every player is different.  

But:

Trent Richardson had a good rookie season with 950 yards rushing with 112 TD's with a 3.6 YPC.  

While Taylor isn't Richardson, the unknown remains.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Myles said:

I don't mean to come across as bashing him.   I am far from giving up on him.  It's just that he has had more poor performances than impressive performances.   i certainly hold hope that he can be a great RB.  


i get that.. He was also thrown in unexpectedly with Mack’s injury. Had Mack stayed healthy, and Taylor be in the role he was preparing for this offseason, we’d be having a very different conversation about what he will look like in the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I agree with you on your Blackmon assessment.  It'd be cool if he got DROY... and he has made several key plays at critical times (e.g., forced fumble in OT last week)... but he's not perfect.  TBH, I think it was kind of disappointing that the long ball from Rodgers to MVS was not broken up near the end of the 4th quarter.  Blackmon was a step or two behind, but I think most very high end safeties would have broken that play up.

Yep. He's playing A+ in terms of what is in front of him. Some HUGE plays. He's still learning though (I hope) when it comes to deep coverage. I don't really worry about that when we're playing teams like TN though, or in general when we're playing game manager or dink/dunk QBs. I will worry when play the better QBs though, or teams with deep schemes. 

 

Overall, I think he might be so aggressive forward, that he takes himself out of some of the back end stuff. I just hope he can learn to flip the switch so to speak. Be aggressive forward vs game manager type teams, and be more mindful of the back up vs others. He's a pup. so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that he'll learn/mature at this point. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2020 at 9:28 AM, ColtStrong2013 said:


by seasons end, it will be very close... 

 

you didn’t even mention Pittman or Taylor in that comment, which is concerning after their performances last week. They will be our go-to’s offensively for years... 

 

Pittman caught 2/9 for 28 yards

today. He’s made a couple of big plays this year...but he’s not even a top 5 rookie WR...let alone a top tier NFL

WR. 
 

I like Taylor...but it’s not like he is having a Zeke-type rookie season...where he’s a top 5 RB. He’s been decent.

 

The comparison of Blackmon to Leonard should really stop. 
 

I’m not saying it’s not a good group...but the comparison isn’t even close...and the next 5 games won’t change that.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...