Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ravens-Steelers game postponed until Sunday

Dogg63

The colts have tomorrow off and Reich said in the presser today they sent out strict instructions to the players for gatherings tomorrow. The colts are even going so far as to testing families before they come and when they get here If they are visiting a player. I hope everyone is responsible.

That bears game Sunday night with the packers needs to be moved to the afternoon. Way to many good games in the afternoon and one of them should be in prime time.

So the Colts followed protocols and had to play their biggest game of the year without some of their best players and the Ravens broke protocols and are getting rewarded by postponing the game until they are healthy.  At the very least the league should say anyone on the COVID list should not be aloud to play in the game or make the Ravens forfeit.

27 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

So the Colts followed protocols and had to play their biggest game of the year without some of their best players and the Ravens broke protocols and are getting rewarded by postponing the game until they are healthy.  At the very least the league should say anyone on the COVID list should not be aloud to play in the game or make the Ravens forfeit.

Yeah... I'm still trying to understand. But I'm sure the rules are written down somewhere *nice and small print*

Just call it a draw already

14 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I say forfeit the Steelers did nothing wrong.  They were ready to play Thursday.

This is the most unfair thing I've ever seen the NFL do. The Steelers, who did nothing wrong, are now going to play 3 games in 11 days (12/2, 12/7/ 12/13). Too bad the league can't move the Steelers bye week around for this but they can't because the Titans outbreak forced another schedule change for the Steelers - who did nothing wrong then either. If I was a Steelers fan I'd be irate...actually I'm pretty irate and I despise the Steelers.

The Ravens should forfeit or they should have played last Thursday with 32 healthy players.

The NFL is screwing this up.   Denver had to play on time without a QB because their outbreak was determined to be from them not wearing masks.  Where is the consistency?  The Titans broke the rules and practiced together leading to their outbreak and their game with the Steelers was moved.  Now the Ravens have a huge outbreak and they get to move their game multiple times.   The NFL is just assuming the Ravens outbreak is just natural and doesn't stem from them not following the rules.  The Ravens should have to forfeit a game.

37 minutes ago, Myles said:

The NFL is screwing this up.   Denver had to play on time without a QB because their outbreak was determined to be from them not wearing masks.  Where is the consistency?  The Titans broke the rules and practiced together leading to their outbreak and their game with the Steelers was moved.  Now the Ravens have a huge outbreak and they get to move their game multiple times.   The NFL is just assuming the Ravens outbreak is just natural and doesn't stem from them not following the rules.  The Ravens should have to forfeit a game.

Yeah.  There should be a line. If you have X numbers of players out, with close contact or confirmed COVID 19, game gets postponed. If you're found to have violated the rules in any way, IE a coach doing private sessions without following protocols, you forfeit the game. Period.

2 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Yeah.  There should be a line. If you have X numbers of players out, with close contact or confirmed COVID 19, game gets postponed. If you're found to have violated the rules in any way, IE a coach doing private sessions without following protocols, you forfeit the game. Period.

I would say that if you hit a certain number, you forfeit your next game.   The Ravens have had at least 11 players and 10 staff test positive.  

Steve Saunders is the Ravens' head strength and conditioning coach. According to multiple reports, he was the staff member punished by Baltimore for conducting relating to the team's COVID-19 outbreak. 

According to the Baltimore Sun, Saunders "had not routinely worn the proximity tracker required by the NFL for contact tracing or reported potential COVID-19 symptoms as he worked with players." NFL Network added in its reporting that the punished staff member had not consistently worn a mask.

How COVID-19 spread on the Ravens

It's not immediately known how COVID-19 spread through the Ravens' roster, with the Baltimore Sun calling it "unclear." The punishment for a staffer, reportedly Saunders, likely points to belief that his behavior, if not the root, was a factor in the outbreak. According to ESPN, the staffer was the first positive test in this string of positives, though. 

Baltimore's outbreak resembles that of Tennessee's from earlier in the season, when a number of players in different positional groupings tested positive over the course of more than a week. ESPN wrote that the Ravens conducted multiple in-person activities, including meetings and an on-field workout, after Ingram and Dobbins came back with positive tests on Monday, Nov. 23

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/ravens-covid-list-players-outbreak-steelers/a93po5qll7s41v7pcc07de0tq

1 minute ago, Myles said:

I would say that if you hit a certain number, you forfeit your next game.   The Ravens have had at least 11 players and 10 staff test positive.  

Steve Saunders is the Ravens' head strength and conditioning coach. According to multiple reports, he was the staff member punished by Baltimore for conducting relating to the team's COVID-19 outbreak. 

According to the Baltimore Sun, Saunders "had not routinely worn the proximity tracker required by the NFL for contact tracing or reported potential COVID-19 symptoms as he worked with players." NFL Network added in its reporting that the punished staff member had not consistently worn a mask.

How COVID-19 spread on the Ravens

It's not immediately known how COVID-19 spread through the Ravens' roster, with the Baltimore Sun calling it "unclear." The punishment for a staffer, reportedly Saunders, likely points to belief that his behavior, if not the root, was a factor in the outbreak. According to ESPN, the staffer was the first positive test in this string of positives, though. 

Baltimore's outbreak resembles that of Tennessee's from earlier in the season, when a number of players in different positional groupings tested positive over the course of more than a week. ESPN wrote that the Ravens conducted multiple in-person activities, including meetings and an on-field workout, after Ingram and Dobbins came back with positive tests on Monday, Nov. 23

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/ravens-covid-list-players-outbreak-steelers/a93po5qll7s41v7pcc07de0tq

Right, I agree but they also got caught the week before with their Strength coach violating protocols.  A + B = C to me. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2020/11/25/ravens-discipline-coach-for-conduct-covid-19-cases/115050108/

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Right, I agree but they also got caught the week before with their Strength coach violating protocols.  A + B = C to me. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/ravens/2020/11/25/ravens-discipline-coach-for-conduct-covid-19-cases/115050108/

Yes.   Totally different treatment for the Ravens than for other teams (Broncos).   Pittsburgh should be throwing a fit.  They are getting screwed because the NFL is favoring the Ravens just like they did the Titans.  

I don’t think there has ever been a forfeit in league history and the last canceled game was 1935.  It’s important to the league and revenue to play all games, especially Ravens/Steelers.  Every team is operating without the standard revenue of hosting fans.  Ratings are critical for the league to keep the salary cap where it is and be able to distribute enough money to teams to cover the seasons cost.  The NFL is a business and what’s fair is not always the best decision. 

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

That makes perfect sense, but to the NFL, a forfeit = no game played = no $$$. They'll never do that.

I'm personally just a bit irked by the inconsistencies of which games are postponed and which aren't. Denver had to play a PS WR at QB with essentially no prep-time, yet Baltimore gets an additional day to allow for a practice prior to their twice (of thrice?) rescheduled game. I'm not one to cry foul, but it really appears that the NFL is favoring specific teams, especially when they're better teams with superstar players.

1 minute ago, Shive said:

That makes perfect sense, but to the NFL, a forfeit = no game played = no $$$. They'll never do that.

I'm personally just a bit irked by the inconsistencies of which games are postponed and which aren't. Denver had to play a PS WR at QB with essentially no prep-time, yet Baltimore gets an additional day to allow for a practice prior to their twice (of thrice?) rescheduled game. I'm not one to cry foul, but it really appears that the NFL is favoring specific teams, especially when they're better teams with superstar players.

yep, completely agree. yet us fans will still give them money. Sad.

19 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

its not about who misses, its about how many.  the league doesnt care who it ends up helping and hurting its just about stopping the spread but not extending the season.

teams that lose a qb or their best defender are kind of screwed by this policy, the ravens and titans  got an extension because there were simply too many to play the game

they dont want forfeits or to prolong the season

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I don’t think there has ever been a forfeit in league history and the last canceled game was 1935.  It’s important to the league and revenue to play all games, especially Ravens/Steelers.  Every team is operating without the standard revenue of hosting fans.  Ratings are critical for the league to keep the salary cap where it is and be able to distribute enough money to teams to cover the seasons cost.  The NFL is a business and what’s fair is not always the best decision. 

That makes sense, but the inconsistencies are what is bad.  Denver had no QB's but the game didn't get postponed.   When the Titans game was rescheduled, they only had 8 players test positive and 1 was a long snapper and 2 others were practice squad players.  

17 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

its not about who misses, its about how many.  the league doesnt care who it ends up helping and hurting its just about stopping the spread but not extending the season.

teams that lose a qb or their best defender are kind of screwed by this policy, the ravens and titans  got an extension because there were simply too many to play the game

they dont want forfeits or to prolong the season

I understand what they want it doesn’t make it right.

26 minutes ago, Myles said:

That makes sense, but the inconsistencies are what is bad.  Denver had no QB's but the game didn't get postponed.   When the Titans game was rescheduled, they only had 8 players test positive and 1 was a long snapper and 2 others were practice squad players.  

For some reason I’m thinking the Titans had a bye or something like that.  I’m sure there are a lot of circumstances that comes into play with each decision the league makes.  Obviously the Saints/Broncos wasn’t a marquee matchup without much playoff implications involved. Teams should be prepared to play with who they have and if the NFL moves the game then it’s a bonus. The games must be played

14 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

For some reason I’m thinking the Titans had a bye or something like that.  I’m sure there are a lot of circumstances that comes into play with each decision the league makes.  Obviously the Saints/Broncos wasn’t a marquee matchup without much playoff implications involved. Teams should be prepared to play with who they have and if the NFL moves the game then it’s a bonus. The games must be played

Unless you are the Ravens, then you can get your game pushed back a week to accommodate you even if it screws the Steelers.  

2 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I understand what they want it doesn’t make it right.

i think its for the best, its not like the league cares about the ravens more than other teams.  they  are about to play without their starting qb too.

9 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i think its for the best, its not like the league cares about the ravens more than other teams.  they  are about to play without their starting qb too.

If it was for the best the Ravens would be forced to forfeit rather than messing with the Steelers schedule like crazy and inadvertently punish them.  

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Here is the article about them threatening to strike:

https://steelerswire.usatoday.com/2020/11/30/pittsburgh-steelers-baltimore-ravens-threaten-strike-nfl-2020/

Wow, is all I have to say!!!

I was just listening to Pat McAfee and the wild cat strike was just talk. If the Raven players did strike it would void the whole CBA. 

34 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i dont agree with covid forfeits 

No but I agree with having to play with who you got. That is why they expanded practice rosters, for you to stock up on key positions and have more folks to be the "next man up". If 20 players tested positive or were close contacts like with the Ravens, chances are those close contacts are cleared earlier and you play with them once you have enough bodies. 

Archived