Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Garay Is Gone

BProland85

He resigned with the Chargers on a 2 year deal. Our options at a veteran NT are becoming thin. I really hope we have a plan to land a good NT in the draft like Dontari Poe or Alameda Ta'amu in the 3rd. Otherwise we could struggle without one this season.

:censored: , I figured he would resign since it's been a while since the start of free agency. I would like to see a FA pick-up for NT, but I guess if we really think we can get someone in Draft, I hope it works out...like you said, if not it will be a "struggle".

He resigned with the Chargers on a 2 year deal. Our options at a veteran NT are becoming thin. I really hope we have a plan to land a good NT in the draft like Dontari Poe or Alameda Ta'amu in the 3rd. Otherwise we could struggle without one this season.

Poe is listed as a top 15 pick and 1 Dlineman by many who know , so he's not going in the third round.

I think we duct tape the NT position together for this year, try to get by... then pick up a top notch NT next year in the draft.

This isn't the strongest drafts for that spot.

Next seasons draft could be worse, some are saying their are some good DTs to be drafted this year but if we don't draft 1 I say we use a 4-3 most of the time and bring in a 3-4 blitz package on some passing downs .

I think we duct tape the NT position together for this year, try to get by... then pick up a top notch NT next year in the draft.

This isn't the strongest drafts for that spot.

You are right. I don't see any DT's that really get me that excited in this draft. We needed to do something here in free agency in my opinion. If not but to give us more flexibility to look at some other postions in the draft. DT is a big whole on our defense right now and an important cog for any 3-4 oriented scheme. It blows my mind how star crossed the Colts seem to be when trying to address this position. High draft picks this year and this ends up coinciding with a down year for DT prospects.

Next seasons draft could be worse, some are saying their are some good DTs to be drafted this year but if we don't draft 1 I say we use a 4-3 most of the time and bring in a 3-4 blitz package on some passing downs .

Yeah, that's true. But the only person I would want in this draft is Dontari Poe, who we likely can't get because we're using our 1st on Luck (or Griffin ;)).

Next year, even if it is a weaker draft for NT's, we can likely get the top rated NT if we want to use our 1st pick on it, and maybe even get someone on the level of a Dontari Poe.

And then next year there might be a big ugly available in FA and we'll have the money then. I don't have any idea what FAs look like for next year, but it might be a better option to wait then to reach for a guy that isn't going to be what we want.

And then next year there might be a big ugly available in FA and we'll have the money then. I don't have any idea what FAs look like for next year, but it might be a better option to wait then to reach for a guy that isn't going to be what we want.

Agreed. Theres no point reaching for a NT in the second this year. I have read that Ta'amu actually weighed in at over 390 lbs at one point in his college career but was lighter this year. Apparentley he took rice out of his diet to lose weight. 390lbs! Thats a lot of rice. Would be much happier taking Baptiste in the 5-6

With all the cash we'll have next year, I agree we'll bandaid up someone in the middle this year, and go sign a stud NT next year

Agreed. I'm OK with holes in the D, and even another frustrating, losing season, as long as the FO is doing everything to keep their 1st round QB investment upright and to give him a few weapons to let him develop. With all the cap room next year, they can focus as much as they need to fully convert the D then.

I'm not really disappointed with him going back to the Chargers and after thinking about it, it seems to be better for us. The good NTs have been gone and all that was left were the 32+ year old NTs...Not the kind of players I would sign to more than a year and even if it's only a year you're getting NTs out of their prime and definitely in the twilight years of their career.

I totally agree Joker.....disguise disguise....attack attack! Start them standing up....move them down....bring the heat.

Without a NT, our defense will be pretty bad. I think that it is a good thing. We can get someone high in next years draft. Our best bet for making a long run is to have a young front three. You can't find those guys anywhere but the draft most of the time.

I am sure Pag will use a scheme that is friendly to the talent on hand until he gets the players he wants in here.

Why do some people think Pagano is some defensive scheme guru that will form the best D based on the players available? I mean, I know he says that is what he is going to do, but he was a defensive coordinator for exactly one year and he took over a D that was stacked with talent and had at least 4 players(Lewis, Suggs, Ngata and Reed) who would get serious consideration for "player of the decade" and each of their positions. To use the phrase used so often in reference to Caldwell, "my grandma could have coached that D."

I trust Irsay in hiring him and I like what he says in the interviews but he is far from a proven defensive coordinator and even less so as a HC.