Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts headed to the HOF

Edge is already being inducted with the next class.

Manning and Wayne both made the final 25.

Manning is, obviously, a shoo-in.

Some folks have Wayne graded to make it this year.

This video is excellent:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Dogg63 said:

This video is excellent:

My word, has it been nearly 5 years since we have been blessed to watch Peyton Manning under center?  I watched a lot of Denver games when he became their QB because he was just so much fun to watch.

• Like 4
14 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

This video is excellent:

My only concern RE Reggie is Tory Holt sitting there. Will they say he's in line first? It would certainly be cool for them all to get in at once.  What about Saturday? Is he out of the the running? And when will our two DEs get in or our TE?

Would be cool for all to go in essentially at same time, however I think Wayne will have to wait a year or 2.

And thats coming from a guy who's user name is Wayne related.

wayne87reggie = w87r

11 minutes ago, chickenMan said:

I miss Edge, I miss Reggie, I REALLY miss Peyton. While I’m at it, I miss Luck too. I also miss Mathis and Freeney and Sanders and Saturday and Harrison and Clark and.......

Gavin Free Love GIF by Rooster Teeth

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Reggie over Calvin Johnson though? 

Honestly, I don't think Calvin Johnson deserves to make the HOF. Unpopular opinion probably, but he only played 9 seasons as a WR, and did nothing to make a difference on the Lions. IMO, there were other receivers who played longer, had comparable to better stats, and did more for their teams. I would never vote for Megatron if I were a voter.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Honestly, I don't think Calvin Johnson deserves to make the HOF. Unpopular opinion probably, but he only played 9 seasons as a WR, and did nothing to make a difference on the Lions. IMO, there were other receivers who played longer, had comparable to better stats, and did more for their teams. I would never vote for Megatron if I were a voter.

I would respectfully disagree with you on this one.  And that's OK, doesn't make me right or you wrong, I just disagree.  The NFL already has Terrell Davis and Gale Sayers in the HOF, both having played only 7 seasons due to injuries.  But when they played, they PLAYED.  Same with Johnson IMHO.  When he was playing, he was quite arguably the best at his position for at least 3-4 years.  So the NFL has already shown that the length of his career is not an issue.

On top of that, he has numbers to back it up.  For example, in just 9 seasons (135 games) Johnson amassed 731 rec. for 11,619 yds, with 83 TD's.  By comparison, our very own Reggie Wayne played 14 seasons (211 games) and had 1070 rec. for 14,345 yds, and 82 TD's.  So in almost half the time Johnson is not that far behind Wayne and certainly on pace to overtake him had he played longer, and Wayne is most certainly HOF worthy.

I just think Johnson got "Barry Sanders-ed" and got stuck with a losing franchise who apparently didn't care much about winning and he got frustrated and left early, much like Sanders himself.  But IMHO that shouldn't have anything to do with his HOF portfolio.  He was a beast when on the field and I'd have no problem with him getting in someday.  Now, 1st ballot?  That is where I'd have the problem.  I think he should have to wait a bit.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't think you know how the HOF works.

By using your logic guys like Barry Sanders, Anthony Munoz and Bruce Matthews don't deserve to be there. 

10 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don’t think it’s unpopular I think it’s true.  He just didn’t play long enough and didn’t do enough to go in.  Look at a guy like Bob Sanders who had some great seasons but ultimately the shortness of his career will be what keeps him out.  I know Sanders career was cut short for different reasons but it’s the same principle.  I don’t look at a guy like Megatron like I do Barry Sanders who again cut his career short but who IMO did far more to show he was a hall of fame level player than Megatron did.

• Like 1

Also worth mentioning Cornelius Bennett who played here in 1999 and 2000 is a Hall of Fame semi-finalist.  Yes he will be remembered for his time in Buffalo but since the NFL honors all the teams you played for he would count as a Colt Hall of Famer just as Richard Dent does as odd as that sounds.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

By using your logic guys like Barry Sanders, Anthony Munoz and Bruce Matthews don't deserve to be there. 

Barry Sanders played 10 seasons with the Lions and was one the greatest stat RBs of all time. That's an extreme example. Munoz played 13 seasons as an OT and Matthews played 19 seasons as on OT. Rarely do OTs carry a team. Those are horrible examples. Megatron played 9 seasons as a WR, that's half a HOF career. WRs should help carry a team, especially in Calvins era. You have to have some kind of standards for the hall of fame when so few WRs make it.

8 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Aside from the fact Sanders retired before most thought he would I don’t think what the three players you listed goes against what he’s saying.  I think just about anyone would tell you Sanders, Munoz, and Matthews did make huge differences for their team and again other Sanders (who played longer than Megatron just for the record) how long they played isn’t an issue.  

His point too is to compare Megatron to guys like Wayne and Holt yeah all of them had great careers and put up great numbers but the fact that Wayne and Holt did it longer should go in their favor.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

Aside from the fact Sanders retired before most thought he would I don’t think what the three players you listed goes against what he’s saying.  I think just about anyone would tell you Sanders, Munoz, and Matthews did make huge differences for their team and again other Sanders (who played longer than Megatron just for the record) how long they played isn’t an issue.  

His point too is to compare Megatron to guys like Wayne and Holt yeah all of them had great careers and put up great numbers but the fact that Wayne and Holt did it longer should go in their favor.

But that is not what determines how a player is voted into the HOF. 

In Johnsons case,  5 years has gone by and his name still comes up on what a wide receiver should be like when team drafts a wide receiver. Johnson walked away early also just like Sanders did. (something about playing for the Lions I guess?) 

Johnson is listed in the top 10 receivers in NFL history in any list you can find. 

Just a little while back we had a thread about this. 

5 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

But that is not what determines how a player is voted into the HOF. 

In Johnsons case,  5 years has gone by and his name still comes up on what a wide receiver should be like when team drafts a wide receiver. Johnson walked away early also just like Sanders did. (something about playing for the Lions I guess?) 

Johnson is listed in the top 10 receivers in NFL history in any list you can find. 

Just a little while back we had a thread about this. 

Sanders played 10 years as an RB (the position with the shortest shelf life in the NFL), Megatron played 9 years as a WR (a position where HOF players normally play 15+ years). The comparison isn't there. Sanders played enough time at his position, Megatron did not. I'd take someone like Wayne or Holt over him any day. Again, we have to have some standards for the HOF.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Barry Sanders played 10 seasons with the Lions and was one the greatest stat RBs of all time. That's an extreme example. Munoz played 13 seasons as an OT and Matthews played 19 seasons as on OT. Rarely do OTs carry a team. Those are horrible examples. Megatron played 9 seasons as a WR, that's half a HOF career. WRs should help carry a team, especially in Calvins era. You have to have some kind of standards for the hall of fame when so few WRs make it.

I was using Monuz and Matthews as a sarcastic reply to you.

Johnson is listed in the top 10 receivers in NFL history by any list you can find. He made the pro bowl 6 times and held the receiving records till Harrison broke them. 

You are using your personal opinion on if you think he deserves to be in the HOF. 

That is not how a player is voted into the HOF. 

In 2014 Johnson was listed #2 in the top 100 players in NFL history between Manning and Brady. 

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I was using Monuz and Matthews as a sarcastic reply to you.

Johnson is listed in the top 10 receivers in NFL history by any list you can find. He made the pro bowl 6 times and held the receiving records till Harrison broke them. 

You are using your personal opinion on if you think he deserves to be in the HOF. 

That is not how a player is voted into the HOF. 

In 2014 Johnson was listed #2 in the top 100 players in NFL history between Manning and Brady. 

We are all using our personal opinion on if he deserves to make it. Votes are based on personal opinion. My opinion is he didn't play long enough and he didn't accomplish anything for the Lions. He put up great stats in 9 years. That's it. Pretty soon, 10 receivers or so today will have matched him in their first 9 years and will have probably won a SB on top of it. Reggie and Torry won a SB as well and were a big part of it. They played long careers. Megatron was great for 9 years and didn't help the Lions do anything team-wise. He was a stat-guy. That is not an opinion, that is a fact. Maybe he gets in, maybe he doesn't. I don't think he deserves to be put in over Reggie and Torry though.

12 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

We are all using our personal opinion on if he deserves to make it. Votes are based on personal opinion. My opinion is he didn't play long enough and he didn't accomplish anything for the Lions. He put up great stats in 9 years. That's it. Pretty soon, 10 receivers or so today will have matched him in their first 9 years and will have probably won a SB on top of it. Reggie and Torry won a SB as well and were a big part of it. They played long careers. Megatron was great for 9 years and didn't help the Lions do anything team-wise. He was a stat-guy. That is not an opinion, that is a fact. Maybe he gets in, maybe he doesn't. I don't think he deserves to be put in over Reggie and Torry though.

What you are failing to understand is super bowls are not what determines how a player is voted into the HOF 

You say Johnson did nothing for the Lions? What did Sanders do for the Lions? 

They both walked away from HOF careers is what they did. 

IMO Manning, Johnson and Woodson will all be first time ballot. 

16 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

What you are failing to understand is super bowls are not what determines how a player is voted into the HOF 

You say Johnson did nothing for the Lions? What did Sanders do for the Lions? 

They both walked away from HOF careers is what they did. 

IMO Manning, Johnson and Woodson will all be first time ballot. 

Sanders played 10 years as an RB, Megatron played 9 years as a WR. That's the part you are missing. One is not like the other. Sanders played a full career for a normal HOF RB, Megatron played half a career for a HOF WR. Neither accomplished a SB or anything like that for their teams, but that is two things against Megatron and only one against Sanders. Megatron was great for half of a HOF career. There's nothing to discuss anymore. If Megatron gets in, then the standards for HOF WRs will be lowered significantly.

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Sanders played 10 years for an RB, Megatron played 9 years as a WR. That's the part you are missing. One is not like the other. Sanders played a full career for a normal HOF RB, Megatron played half a career for a HOF WR. Neither accomplished a SB or anything like that for their teams, but that is two things against Megatron and only one against Sanders. Megatron was great for half of a HOF career. There's nothing to discuss anymore. If Megatron gets in, then the standards for HOF WRs will be lowered significantly.

Jeez Jared, your total disregard of Johnson being a top ten receiver in NFL history is amazing. 

According to ClutchPoints he is listed at #7 all time. It also stated had he played more years he would have fallen in the top three . 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Jeez Jared, your total disregard of Johnson being a top ten receiver in NFL history is amazing. 

According to ClutchPoints he is listed at #7 all time. It also stated had he played more years he would have fallen in the top three . 

He might of been, but he didn't. I just don't believe his short career should be rewarded with a HOF bid. Maybe if he did what Terrell Davis did as an RB and helped win two SBs for his team, then you have a case. However, I can't approve of putting a WR that only played 9 years and didn't win or help win anything in the HOF. He's a stats guy and fantasy guy IMO and that's it. IMO, there will be a bunch of guys that end up doing what he does or better and play significantly longer. He was ahead of his time, but he won't be remembered for anything but stats.

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He might of been, but he didn't. I just don't believe his short career should be rewarded with a HOF bid. Maybe if he did what Terrell Davis did as an RB and helped win two SBs for his team, then you have a case. However, I can't approve of putting a WR that only played 9 years and didn't win or help win anything in the HOF. He's a stats guy and fantasy guy IMO and that's it. IMO, there will be a bunch of guys that end up doing what he does or better and play significantly longer. He was ahead of his time, but he won't be remembered for anything but stats.

I debated with people for years that Davis belonged in and most told me he didn't play long enough but having the 2 SB wins helped his argument and he got in. The problem with keeping players out that maybe only played 7 or 8 years and dominated is, Sayers got in for the Bears and only played like 5 seasons. He set that tone.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Sorry Jared, you are wrong. Johnson is remembered and will always be remembered for being one of the best and greatest wide receivers in NFL history. 

He set the standard on what teams look for when drafting a wide receiver. 

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Sorry Jared, you are wrong. Johnson is remembered and will always be remembered for being one of the best and greatest wide receivers in NFL history. 

He set the standard on what teams look for when drafting a wide receiver. 

He probably will be. The fact is though, is that he had half a HOF career. That's lowering the standards of the HOF. It tells players you can only play a few years, never win anything, and still get in. The HOF is more than about stats. It's about longetivity, stats, and championships. Megatron only has one of those. Not good enough IMO. You need at least two.

I agree with the 2nd part however. If every receiver drafted early turned out to be like Megatron, teams would have the process down. Get the big, physical receiver that can catch the ball.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I debated with people for years that Davis belonged in and most told me he didn't play long enough but having the 2 SB wins helped his argument and he got in. The problem with keeping players out that maybe only played 7 or 8 years and dominated is, Sayres got in for the Bears and only played like 5 seasons. He set that tone.

I didn't realize Sayers only played 5 years. If that's true, he shouldn't of gotten in either. In fact, I don't think he ever won a playoff game. He was kind of an injury bust if you want to look at it that way. He only played 5 years and lost half or more of his career. He was great for 5 years, but not enough to make the hall of fame. Standards were really low back then as well though with not as many guys to choose from.

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I didn't realize Sayers only played 5 years. If that's true, he shouldn't of gotten in either. In fact, I don't think he ever won a playoff game. He was kind of an injury bust if you want to look at it that way. He only played 5 years and lost half or more of his career. He was great for 5 years, but not enough to make the hall of fame. Standards were really low back then as well though with not as many guys to choose from.

Yeah he basically only played 5 full seasons when you add up the games played. He was a freak of nature but did not last long. 

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He probably will be. The fact is though, is that he had half a HOF career. That's lowering the standards of the HOF. It tells players you can only play a few years, never win anything, and still get in. The HOF is more than about stats. It's about longetivity, stats, and championships. Megatron only has one of those. Not good enough IMO. You need at least two.

I agree with the 2nd part however. If every receiver drafted early turned out to be like Megatron, teams would have the process down. Get the big, physical receiver that can catch the ball.

The thing is your personal requirements are not the requirements of the voters of the HOF committee. 

By your reasoning guys like Gale Sayers don't deserve being in the HOF. 

4 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

One thing you are missing.

You didn't see him play. Had you seen him on the field you wouldn't be arguing. 

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

The thing is your personal requirements are not the requirements of the voters of the HOF committee. 

By your reasoning guys like Gale Sayers don't deserve being in the HOF. 

I guarantee you the HOF comittee takes those things into account, whether they say them or not. Those are the 3 main things you get judged by. They may decide Megatron did so well in those 9 years that he deserves to make it, but it'll still be because of stats though. Which is one the 3 things I mentioned.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

One thing you are missing.

You didn't see him play. Had you seen him on the field you wouldn't be arguing. 

Best case scenario, he was the top RB in the league for 5 years, he only played 5 years, and he never won a playoff game or a championship. That doesn't deserve the HOF.

I don't blame him for what happened, but you can't reward someone because it's unfortunate or assume he would of done it another 5-10 years. No one (even an RB) deserves to be in the HOF from a 5 year career and no playoff or championship wins.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Best case scenario, he was the top RB in the league for 5 years, he only played 5 years, and he never won a playoff game or a championship. That doesn't deserve the HOF.

I don't blame him for what happened, but you can't reward someone because it's unfortunate or assume he would of done it another 5-10 years. No one (even an RB) deserves to be in the HOF from a 5 year career and no playoff or championship wins.

Talent wise Bo Jackson was the best ever = speed, power, strength. It is ashame he got injured so early.

• Like 1
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He still holds the official 40 yard dash record for all football players. He ran a 4.12 lmao . Even Deion didn't do that, Deion's best was 4.2 flat.

That's absolutely insane! Might never see that again lol! That guy is faster than a speeding bullet lol!

• Like 1