Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The biggest glaring weakness going forward

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

Their 10-0 record is empty calories. They haven't beaten anyone. Not even decisively and they almost lost to a QB called Garrett Gilbert.

They beat the Browns, Titans and Ravens back to back to back.  that's a solid stretch of 3 games.   

There is no easy schedule in the NFL.   Some are easier than others.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On defense, we still don’t have much of a pass rush.   This is going to hurt us once we get to the post season.   On offense, we still don’t have much sizzle, much speed.   The loss of Mack

Really?   Isn’t Pittsburgh’s offense better than ours?    Isn’t their defense better than ours?  Certainly not much worse depending on the metric you use.   I would say the only area where w

I'm not impressed at all by the Steelers. I can see the Ravens beating them. 

13 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2020.htm

Red Zone %

Offense - 25th

Defense - 18th

When the Offense moved to the red zone we were kicking field goals instead of TDs in weeks past. The Defense needs to tighten up a little more in the RZ also. Although, the argument can be made that our Def. RZ% is 18th because opposing teams don't make it to our RZ very often!

I think the last few weeks, excluding the Bye week, the Offense has gotten better. We're now 10th in Off. Scoring. Maybe they're "gel"-ing or maybe Rivers is getting more comfortable. Idk.

I've been a fan for 20 years and haven't seen our Defense this good (2007 was close). Going forward to the playoffs I believe the RZ% will become crucial and needs to be addressed. That is where playoff games are won/lost(FG vs TD)

I think the Redzone defense is splitting hairs considering after playing Green Bay we are #2 in defense in terms of yards per game and #5 in points per game.  

Redzone offense must convert TD's though.  

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

The only way we get there is by playing Madden. We would be 4-6 or 3-7 if we had a tough schedule.

They are 7-3 and have one of the best QB's in the league who is having an amazing year.  Great RB, great WR and a defense that is performing in the top half of the league.  They have already beat the Saints with Brees.  

9 hours ago, CR91 said:

Seahawks vs Chiefs. That would be one insane game.

I think the Rams take the NFC West, they are a very balanced team. Cardinals will fade when the going gets tough, IMO.

If Brees comes back, Saints or Rams take on the Chiefs or Steelers in the SB. 

16 hours ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

The only thing I can think of is that they're now the only team in the past month to lose to the Ravens. And given who Baltimore plays Thursday night, it may be in over a month.

Weird. But that's the NFL.

They are also the only team to lose the Jags all season. :Cry:

3 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Macaulay Culkin Yes GIF by filmeditor

This video reminds me of the time....,,,

i had something happen at my house back in April.  So i called the Pa State police and 2 troopers stopped by my house about 1 am. As we discussed the “issue”, one officer noticed the aluminum baseball bat leaning against a column at my porch.

He asked “ is that your only form of defense?”

With a dry tone and straight face, i said “No, i have a box of marbles at the top of the steps.”

After a dramatic pause, i added (with a wry smile) “i learned THAT one from Home Alone.”

That happened. I wish i had their facial expressions on video.

• Haha 2
Just now, WoolMagnet said:

Well, we did get beat up by Jax the year we won it all.

Just readin the tea leaves and talkin out loud.

True.

I think the biggest glaring weakness moving forward is the 3rd down conversion rate.  As good as the defense is, they will not be able to carry the offense if the offense cannot sustain more drives and sustain them more consistently.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Myles said:

They are 7-3 and have one of the best QB's in the league who is having an amazing year.  Great RB, great WR and a defense that is performing in the top half of the league.  They have already beat the Saints with Brees.  

So what’s the best Colts team of all time?

1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

2005 Indianapolis Colts was the best Colts team of all time.  And I believe they would have won the Superbowl that year if Dungy had not had his personal tragedy.

I remember that team. You guys were way better than the Steelers. Heck I believe Seattle was better than them in the Super Bowl.

Just now, Arodgers12 said:

How bout 1995?

A fun year, but I think they over achieved more than they were really a great team.   Harbaugh had a great year.  Faulk was good.  They had lots of good players, but without the run to the AFC championship game, the season wouldn't be remembered much.  One of my favorite seasons no doubt.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

yeah If our O line can block their pass rush, I'm not scared of them. At least not as much as I am of the Chiefs.

Chiefs scare me because it doesn’t matter how good your defense is, they will still put up over 30 points.. unless you catch them on a bad day 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Chiefs scare me because it doesn’t matter how good your defense is, they will still put up over 30 points.. unless you catch them on a bad day 

The Chiefs seem to be playing on a different level right now.  Their weak spot is their run defense, but they usually score so easily that many teams cannot run the ball consistently enough to take advantage of it.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

2005 Indianapolis Colts was the best Colts team of all time.  And I believe they would have won the Superbowl that year if Dungy had not had his personal tragedy.

The zone blitz killed us in that 05’ Steelers playoff game. That’s really what beat us. 

16 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

On defense, we still don’t have much of a pass rush.   This is going to hurt us once we get to the post season.

On offense, we still don’t have much sizzle, much speed.   The loss of Mack and Campbell, the lack of explosion from TYH means we have to have long drives.  We won’t have many quick strikes. 

Hopefully, Campbell returns in December, hopefully Hilton regains his form down the stretch.   We will need all that and more for our offense to be more explosive.  

The upside is that we’re looking more and more like a playoff caliber team at 7-3.   But we still have a long way to go, and of course, there is still the unpredictable Covid that will loom large as winter approaches. 

Yeah, the lack of pass rush is my biggest concern to. We get into the playoffs will probably have to blitz more to have a chance against the great QBs like Rothlisberger. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

The zone blitz killed us in that 05’ Steelers playoff game. That’s really what beat us. 

The zone blitz always caused Manning problems, but they won a lot of games despite that.  And they would have one that game but Dungy was not there the entire time to help them prepare and you could tell the heads of the Colts players and coaching staff were not in the game, especially at the beginning.

13 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I had to choose, I would say KC vs Seattle. The NFC is really tough to call, I still don't like Seattle's defense but Wilson is great. 

The AFC is loaded but KC is just better than everyone else:

My AFC rankings would be,

1. KC

2. Steelers

3. Colts

4. I am going Titans here slightly over the Bills

5. Bills

6. Ravens

7. Browns - better record than the Ravens but I think the Ravens are slightly better.

-Ravens and Browns both beat us so really 3-7 is pretty even. I think we are playing better than both now hence the rankings. When we played the Browns and Ravens our offense seemed out of sync. It is clicking now.

But between CHI, CLE and BAL...they put up 44 points. I guess we could probably say that the CHI and CLE games are less relevant...but that BAL game was only three weeks ago at home...and after the games against CIN and DET...where the offense looked good.

The good news is that it doesn't really matter...because they only face one good defense ROS...and that's PIT.

But if I had to rank them...I think it's KC and PIT...and then the rest. Colts could be #3...but I think you can make a case for any of those teams...except maybe CLE. But they also beat the Colts...so it's just splitting hairs.

I also don't think we can sleep on MIA...going 3-1 in the NFC West is no small accomplishment. But now if they go back to Fitzpatrick...they really become dangerous IMO.,,because the offense was much better with him. Pair that with their defense and STs...and they can beat just about anybody I think (as they have shown). Very similar team to the Colts IMO.

I also think LV is also  pretty good team...they just have faced an unreal schedule...and are still two games above .500.

Only room for 7 though. Going to be a fun 6 weeks.

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

What aren’t you impressed about? They got a very good defense and a very good offense. They the most balanced team in the NFL. IMO

Yeah...PIT not being a great team is just wishful thinking IMO. PIT has faced a very easy schedule...but they also haven't lost any games either. They have the highest PD in the NFL. They beat BAL and thumped CLE (Colts lost against both). They also crushed CIN...who the Colts had to eke out a comeback win against. 

They have the best defense in the NFL...and while their offense has underperformed (relatively speaking)...it is loaded with talented players...which means it could put up 40+ in any given week. Because of their schedule...there is a chance that they have taken their foot off the pedal in some games...meaning their league-leading 124 PD could be even higher.

I hate 'em. They are hard as hell to beat...and I would prefer to avoid playing January football at Heinz Field. 

4 hours ago, chad72 said:

I think the Rams take the NFC West, they are a very balanced team. Cardinals will fade when the going gets tough, IMO.

If Brees comes back, Saints or Rams take on the Chiefs or Steelers in the SB. 

I think Murray is hurt...I don't care what they say. You could see it in that game. If that is the case...ARI is done as a premier offense and it will be very difficult to take the division from SEA or LAR. Looking at SEA's schedule...I think they finish with 12-13 wins. 

10 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yeah...PIT not being a great team is just wishful thinking IMO. PIT has faced a very easy schedule...but they also haven't lost any games either. They have the highest PD in the NFL. They beat BAL and thumped CLE (Colts lost against both). They also crushed CIN...who the Colts had to eke out a comeback win against. 

They have the best defense in the NFL...and while their offense has underperformed (relatively speaking)...it is loaded with talented players...which means it could put up 40+ in any given week. Because of their schedule...there is a chance that they have taken their foot off the pedal in some games...meaning their league-leading 124 PD could be even higher.

I hate 'em. They are hard as hell to beat...and I would prefer to avoid playing January football at Heinz Field. 

I hate them to but like you I don't want to face them in January at Heinz either. But I am looking forward to game in December. 

19 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

I hate them to but like you I don't want to face them in January at Heinz either. But I am looking forward to game in December. 

Yeah...same here. If the Colts take care of business...then the stakes won't be high and it should be a good measuring stick...and a beneficial tune-up for playoff football. But having that game as must-win would not be ideal. But that's what December and January football is all about.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Myles said:

A fun year, but I think they over achieved more than they were really a great team.   Harbaugh had a great year.  Faulk was good.  They had lots of good players, but without the run to the AFC championship game, the season wouldn't be remembered much.  One of my favorite seasons no doubt.

I was reading my old diaries and I read 1996. On one Sunday in January we lost the same day to the Cowboys as you did to Pittsburgh. 

My two concerns for this team would be having no DE pass rush of significance and having no dynamic production from the TE spot to exploit that middle space, which in theory should open up the running game better. We seem to have JAG’s at TE. We need a Dallas Clark, Kelce, Kittle, Ertz or even a Waller maybe. We have nothing close to where these guys have been. But I think having consistently no pass rush is going to be the downfall of this team into the playoffs because the QB’s get better and those teams will exploit the weak zones of the defense because they know they have a certain amount of time against the Colts. 

21 hours ago, CR91 said:

I'm not impressed at all by the Steelers. I can see the Ravens beating them. 

Well I’m impressed with the Steelers and they have the most underrated QB of his generation playing at a high level, but their best wins are both coin toss victories over TENN and BALT and a big win over enigmatic Cleveland.

They beat DEN, DAL, and HouS all by less than a TD, and PHIL missed a FG with 3 min left that would have given them the lead.  

They took care of business v weaker teams the last 2 weeks.

It will be interesting to see how they finish up.

They are probably not a typical 10 and 0 dominant type of team though.

41 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

My two concerns for this team would be having no DE pass rush of significance and having no dynamic production from the TE spot to exploit that middle space, which in theory should open up the running game better. We seem to have JAG’s at TE. We need a Dallas Clark, Kelce, Kittle, Ertz or even a Waller maybe. We have nothing close to where these guys have been. But I think having consistently no pass rush is going to be the downfall of this team into the playoffs because the QB’s get better and those teams will exploit the weak zones of the defense because they know they have a certain amount of time against the Colts. 

To me just because we don't get a lot of sacks doesn't equate to a poor pass rush.  QB Pressures can be very effective as well.  The fact we don't blitz a lot tells me they are comfortable with four guys applying pressure and the results speak for themselves.  A top five defense and a real shot at the playoffs and beyond.  Our secondary is strong and getting better every week.  Our secondary has big hitters and we are ballhawks as well.  I'm not really worried about our defense at all in the playoffs.  If anyone needs to worry about their defense it's KC. Defense still wins championships and we have one.  

16 hours ago, CR91 said:

The colts are not the ones that are undefeated. If the roles were reversed, I'd say the same thing. The Steelers are a good team. I'm not arguing that, but as far as undefeated teams go, they don't compare because I don't see the same level of talent or dominance.

That’s a great way to put it.  

4 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

This video reminds me of the time....,,,

i had something happen at my house back in April.  So i called the Pa State police and 2 troopers stopped by my house about 1 am. As we discussed the “issue”, one officer noticed the aluminum baseball bat leaning against a column at my porch.

He asked “ is that your only form of defense?”

With a dry tone and straight face, i said “No, i have a box of marbles at the top of the steps.”

After a dramatic pause, i added (with a wry smile) “i learned THAT one from Home Alone.”

That happened. I wish i had their facial expressions on video.

Kevin laid the smack down on those degenerates.

4 hours ago, Myles said:

Had that fullback run for like 2 bills in the playoffs.  

That Hail Mary was incredibly emotionally wrenching.

• Like 1