Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The biggest glaring weakness going forward

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/clt/2020.htm

Red Zone %

Offense - 25th

Defense - 18th

When the Offense moved to the red zone we were kicking field goals instead of TDs in weeks past. The Defense needs to tighten up a little more in the RZ also. Although, the argument can be made that our Def. RZ% is 18th because opposing teams don't make it to our RZ very often!

I think the last few weeks, excluding the Bye week, the Offense has gotten better. We're now 10th in Off. Scoring. Maybe they're "gel"-ing or maybe Rivers is getting more comfortable. Idk.

I've been a fan for 20 years and haven't seen our Defense this good (2007 was close). Going forward to the playoffs I believe the RZ% will become crucial and needs to be addressed. That is where playoff games are won/lost(FG vs TD)

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

On defense, we still don’t have much of a pass rush.   This is going to hurt us once we get to the post season.   On offense, we still don’t have much sizzle, much speed.   The loss of Mack

Really?   Isn’t Pittsburgh’s offense better than ours?    Isn’t their defense better than ours?  Certainly not much worse depending on the metric you use.   I would say the only area where w

I'm not impressed at all by the Steelers. I can see the Ravens beating them. 

31 minutes ago, PrideOfAthens17 said:

The only thing I can think of is that they're now the only team in the past month to lose to the Ravens. And given who Baltimore plays Thursday night, it may be in over a month.

Weird. But that's the NFL.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

On defense, we still don’t have much of a pass rush.   This is going to hurt us once we get to the post season.

On offense, we still don’t have much sizzle, much speed.   The loss of Mack and Campbell, the lack of explosion from TYH means we have to have long drives.  We won’t have many quick strikes. 

Hopefully, Campbell returns in December, hopefully Hilton regains his form down the stretch.   We will need all that and more for our offense to be more explosive.  

The upside is that we’re looking more and more like a playoff caliber team at 7-3.   But we still have a long way to go, and of course, there is still the unpredictable Covid that will loom large as winter approaches. 

• Like 6
3 hours ago, CR91 said:

Really?   Isn’t Pittsburgh’s offense better than ours?    Isn’t their defense better than ours?  Certainly not much worse depending on the metric you use.

I would say the only area where we are clearly better is Special Teams.   

You're really not impressed with Pittsburgh?  Can you elaborate?   

• Like 6
1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Really?   Isn’t Pittsburgh’s offense better than ours?    Isn’t their defense better than ours?  Certainly not much worse depending on the metric you use.

whitney houston agree GIF

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

On defense, we still don’t have much of a pass rush.   This is going to hurt us once we get to the post season.

On offense, we still don’t have much sizzle, much speed.   The loss of Mack and Campbell, the lack of explosion from TYH means we have to have long drives.  We won’t have many quick strikes. 

Hopefully, Campbell returns in December, hopefully Hilton regains his form down the stretch.   We will need all that and more for our offense to be more explosive.  

The upside is that we’re looking more and more like a playoff caliber team at 7-3.   But we still have a long way to go, and of course, there is still the unpredictable Covid that will loom large as winter approaches. 

I also think Hines will be used a lot down the stretch as he is very explosive. He is basically our main sizzle as far as speed goes. Hilton looks like he is getting healthier which is a good sign too. Our team really isn't great in any category (except SP Teams) but just a good all-around team that has great chemistry and above average Coaching at worse. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

The Steelers have taken care of business thus far against one of the weaker schedules in the NFL.  Claypool is a joy to watch.    

Steelers are a top 3 team in terms of DVOA (Colts are 5th, which is awesome). 

You guys have a much better chance of going far in the playoffs than us. We will lose the first playoff game as usual.

• Confused 1
2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

We absolutely don't get enough sacks. I think that's gonna be a problem when we play the Raiders. 

I'm writing off Campbell for this year. It would be awesome if he comes back, but I think there's only a very small chance it happens. 

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I wasn't comparing them to us. I just said I'm not impressed with them. Their biggest win is against the Ravens who have been on a skid. Their defense is great, but the offense imo is suspect. They don't even try to run the ball. Ben is throwing like 50 times a game. That's an exaggeration. Don't look it up.

• Haha 1
Just now, CR91 said:

I wasn't compare them to us. I just said I'm not impressed with them. Their biggest win is against the Ravens who have been on a skid. Their defense is great, but the offense imo is suspect. They don't even try to run the ball. Ben is throwing like 50 times a game. That's an exaggeration. Don't look it up.

Big Ben putting up big passing numbers is old hat for them 

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Ravens have a chance to beat them but I would hard pressed to say anything bad about a team that is 10-0. Steelers are beatable but 10-0 is 10-0.

Their 10-0 record is empty calories. They haven't beaten anyone. Not even decisively and they almost lost to a QB called Garrett Gilbert.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Their 10-0 record is empty calories. They haven't beaten anyone. Not even decisively and they almost lost to a QB called Garrett Gilbert.

The Colts lost to one quarterback known for his mustache, another known for his commercials and a third known more for his running

• Like 1
1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The Colts lost to one quarterback known for his mustache, another known for his commercials and a third known more for his running

Again, I am not comparing them to us. Im just saying I'm not impressed with them.

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Three of their wins have come against teams that have beat the Colts.  They also beat the Titans who are currently tied with the Colts for first place in the division.  No they haven’t played the Chiefs or Saints, yet to say they haven’t beaten anyone when they have beaten all the teams your team lost to leaves me shaking my head.

• Like 3

If I had to choose, I would say KC vs Seattle. The NFC is really tough to call, I still don't like Seattle's defense but Wilson is great. 

The AFC is loaded but KC is just better than everyone else:

My AFC rankings would be,

1. KC

2. Steelers

3. Colts

4. I am going Titans here slightly over the Bills

5. Bills

6. Ravens

7. Browns - better record than the Ravens but I think the Ravens are slightly better.

-Ravens and Browns both beat us so really 3-7 is pretty even. I think we are playing better than both now hence the rankings. When we played the Browns and Ravens our offense seemed out of sync. It is clicking now.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If I had to choose, I would say KC vs Seattle. The NFC is really tough to call, I still don't like Seattle's defense but Wilson is great. 

The AFC is loaded but KC is just better than everyone else:

My AFC rankings would be,

1. KC

2. Steelers

3. Colts

4. I am going Titans here slightly over the Bills

5. Bills

6. Ravens

7. Browns - better record than the Ravens but I think the Ravens are slightly better.

-Ravens and Browns both beat us so really 3-7 is pretty even. I think we are playing better than both now hence the rankings. When we played the Browns and Ravens our offense seemed out of sync. It is clicking now.

Wilson has come back down to earth the last few weeks after his amazing start.  He almost had too.  Don’t sleep on the Rams.  Honestly whoever wins the West is probably the favorite given the Saints and Packers playoffs woes of the recent past.  

• Like 1
1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

Wilson has come back down to earth the last few weeks after his amazing start.  He almost had too.  Don’t sleep on the Rams.  Honestly whoever wins the West is probably the favorite given the Saints and Packers playoffs woes of the recent past.  

Saints got the shaft against the Rams 2 years ago in the playoffs then they got beat by the Vikings last year whom they were much better than. Then they gave up that last second TD pass to lose again to the Vikings. I think one year they lost to the 7-9 Seahawks in the playoffs too. They have had horrible luck this last decade in the playoffs.

28 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Three of their wins have come against teams that have beat the Colts.  They also beat the Titans who are currently tied with the Colts for first place in the division.  No they haven’t played the Chiefs or Saints, yet to say they haven’t beaten anyone when they have beaten all the teams your team lost to leaves me shaking my head.

For the hundredth time, I am not comparing them to us.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

For the hundredth time, I am not comparing them to us.

Point being if you are saying they haven’t beaten anyone yet they beat teams that beat the Colts that does bring up the natural question of what are you saying about the Colts?

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Point being if you are saying they haven’t beaten anyone yet they beat teams that beat the Colts that does bring up the natural question of what are you saying about the Colts?

I never said the Colts are better then the Steelers. I just said they don't impress me. I think their record is not indicative of their team, but more of their schedule. They are not the 07 pats, the 04 colts, or even the 2015 Panthers.

• Like 1

I never said the Colts are better then the Steelers. I just said they don't impress me. I think their record is not indicative of their team, but more of their schedule. They are not the 07 pats, the 04 colts, or even the 2015 Panthers.

Well just so you know that’s going to leave most people thinking that means the Colts don’t impress you either as they have five common opponents rights now the Colts are 2-3 vs those teams.  I know that’s not what you are trying to say but that’s how a lot of people are going to take it.   

Well just so you know that’s going to leave most people thinking that means the Colts don’t impress you either as they have five common opponents rights now the Colts are 2-3 vs those teams.  I know that’s not what you are trying to say but that’s how a lot of people are going to take it.   

The colts are not the ones that are undefeated. If the roles were reversed, I'd say the same thing. The Steelers are a good team. I'm not arguing that, but as far as undefeated teams go, they don't compare because I don't see the same level of talent or dominance.

The colts are not the ones that are undefeated. If the roles were reversed, I'd say the same thing. The Steelers are a good team. I'm not arguing that, but as far as undefeated teams go, they don't compare because I don't see the same level of talent or dominance.

Well rather you see them as dominant team or not I know one thing they have a very a playoff experienced QB and coach and that will be a very hard out for any team on the road in the playoffs.

Well rather you see them as dominant team or not I know one thing they have a very a playoff experienced QB and coach and that will be a very hard out for any team on the road in the playoffs.

Agreed.

6 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

Red Zone %

Offense - 25th

Defense - 18th

When the Offense moved to the red zone we were kicking field goals instead of TDs in weeks past. The Defense needs to tighten up a little more in the RZ also. Although, the argument can be made that our Def. RZ% is 18th because opposing teams don't make it to our RZ very often!

I think the last few weeks, excluding the Bye week, the Offense has gotten better. We're now 10th in Off. Scoring. Maybe they're "gel"-ing or maybe Rivers is getting more comfortable. Idk.

I've been a fan for 20 years and haven't seen our Defense this good (2007 was close). Going forward to the playoffs I believe the RZ% will become crucial and needs to be addressed. That is where playoff games are won/lost(FG vs TD)

The red zone % can be misleading. Looking at that, one would not expect 7-3.  I find our offensive rz % more concerning than our defensive #.
However, ifYOUR offense is in rz more often than opponent, and THEIR offense is kept out of rz more than your offense, you can better afford these #s.  
Concerning, yes, but i would argue, at 7-3, there is more going on than rz % by itself. 

• Like 1
46 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

The red zone % can be misleading. Looking at that, one would not expect 7-3.  I find our offensive rz % more concerning than our defensive #.
However, ifYOUR offense is in rz more often than opponent, and THEIR offense is kept out of rz more than your offense, you can better afford these #s.  
Concerning, yes, but i would argue, at 7-3, there is more going on than rz % by itself. 

I also saw (going into GB game) we were #4 defensively in points allowed and 1st inyards allowed per game as well.  This backs up my pointabout opponents offensive frequency in redzone. Also, are they scoring TDs or settling for FGs?

8 hours ago, GoColts00 said:

Red Zone %

Offense - 25th

Defense - 18th

The truth would be found in comparing the 6 teams who have given up less points than us with our RZ %.  I know Pitt and Bal are both way better than us in scoring D.