Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I want honest answers to this

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Several posters are so against bringing Rivers back for 1 more year.    This is the 2nd time  (Bengals) he has led HUGE double digit comeback.    Are you more open to another River

I don’t mean to split hairs....   But while freely admitting 2020 Rivers isn’t 2010 Rivers or even 2018 Rivers, he’s certainly much better than 2019 Rivers.  He’s having a very good year, an

I’m definitely not opposed to it. Ask me in 8 weeks

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Im an optimist too but I don’t think the Colts are winning the SuperBowl. Regardless of that, I think it’s foolish to keep riding Rivers forever. Eason (if he is the answer) can not afford a 2nd season on the bench. Granted Jacoby will be gone, making him the backup so he’ll at least dress but this is a dangerous game Ballard is playing. We’re firmly out of the race for the top 4 QBs in 2021, but it still wouldn’t be a bad idea to take a shot on a Jamie Newman on the 2nd or 3rd round for example. 

However if the idea is going to be that you load up at premium positions to make one more run at it with Rivers so you pass on a QB and let Eason ride the bench again, where does that leave you in 2022? An unproven Eason going into his 3rd year and presumably at the bottom of the 1st, out of range for a QB in what will most likely be a weaker class anyways.

Plus let’s all be really honest and realistic here. Does anyone believe that Rivers can get to a Super Bowl, let alone win one? Against the powerhouse teams we have in the AFC?

To answer your question I do.  And I think Ballard and Reich think so as well.  That is why he is here.  I will give Ballard the benefit of the doubt here.  He knows very well how important his decisions are.  I guess we will find out more after the season ends.  He will evaluate all of his players, including Eason, and determine if a QB move is necessary.  I think Eason, if he is the answer, can afford a second season on the bench if need be.  Not a big deal IMO.  Might be the ideal outcome actually.  

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

A caller on Jmv made a good point. This team  is good enough to get hot and make a SB run but with the crowded afc could also miss the playoffs.  

To win super bowl  defense  and offense  would need to show up both halfs and taylor would have to run even better than yesterday 

41 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Rivers has this team a 4th seed in the AFC but yet some thinks he's not good enough? 

image.thumb.png.ce125456e51f4419c4acb96da1d1d542.png

Rivers doesn't have this team a 4th seed. The defense is the strength of the team. Rivers is good enough, so far... Reminder that the Chargers went 1-6 down the stretch last year. Let's not start high fiving because we won a few games. We don't know if this team is legitimately good enough to compete in the AFC yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Rivers doesn't have this team a 4th seed. The defense is the strength of the team. Rivers is good enough, so far... Reminder that the Chargers went 1-6 down the stretch last year. Let's not start high fiving because we won a few games. We don't know if this team is legitimately good enough to compete in the AFC yet.

Well you may disregard Rivers and his worth to this team, but I don't. 

What the Chargers did last season has little bearing on this season. 

Different everything. 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well you may disregard Rivers and his worth to this team, but I don't. 

What the Chargers did last season has little bearing on this season. 

Different everything. 

CC, I hate when you do this crap. Stop misrepresenting what I said. I am not disregarding Rivers, or his worth to the team. 

But one player isn't responsible for the team's record. Just like JB wasn't responsible for 5-2, Rivers isn't responsible for 7-3. He's not even having that great of a year. And especially this season, when the defense is and has been noticeably better than the offense almost every week. 

Rivers has been good enough, so far. But they haven't done anything yet. And Rivers (and the receivers, and the OL) will need to be better if they are going to have any significant success this season. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Superman said:

CC, I hate when you do this crap. Stop misrepresenting what I said. I am not disregarding Rivers, or his worth to the team. 

But one player isn't responsible for the team's record. Just like JB wasn't responsible for 5-2, Rivers isn't responsible for 7-3. He's not even having that great of a year. And especially this season, when the defense is and has been noticeably better than the offense almost every week. 

Rivers has been good enough, so far. But they haven't done anything yet. And Rivers (and the receivers, and the OL) will need to be better if they are going to have any significant success this season. 

I am just adding to this not arguing with anything you said here but so will the first half defense.  You can’t keep getting down multiple touchdowns in the first half and expect to keep coming roaring back.  They do that vs KC or the Steelers and they are in deep trouble.  

They need to figure out a way to get whatever they are seeing to make halftime adjustments into the game sooner because their second halves have been lights out for the most part.  That or they need to get better at anticipating what the other team is going to do rather than just being very good at adjusting to it at half.  

• Like 1

I don’t mean to split hairs....

But while freely admitting 2020 Rivers isn’t 2010 Rivers or even 2018 Rivers, he’s certainly much better than 2019 Rivers.  He’s having a very good year, and he’s doing that without the weapons that other QB’s have.   And he’s doing it without the expected running game until this week.   

2020 Rivers is also clearly better than 2019 Brissett, so I’m not ready to discount his responsibility for our current 7-3.  I agree things could still come off the rails.   I agree that the defense and ST get equal or greater credit, but still...   Rivers is driving our offensive train in a way JB could not.  So it feels that at least thru 10 weeks, at least, he’s deserving of more credit than you’re currently offering. 

Did I thread that very small needle?    :peek:

• Like 9

? Rivers is the QB and the leader of this team. Yes the strong point of our team is the defense but it it still the offense that scores the points to win. 

I agree that no one player is responsible but his veterans leadership means more than you want to give any credit. 

Just because he is not a Mahomes or a Wilson does not devalue what he is to this team. 

With the help of the defense he pretty much equaled Rogers this last week. 

He has already done more for this team than a lot of fans thought he would. 

• Like 3

I just looked up that Rodgers is signed until after 23.  I thought I heard he was available year after next.  Well throw my brilliant plan in the crapper.

Regardless, unless things change, I don't see how we improve at QB next year without some major type of trade and that almost never happens in FB.

Prescott and his contract to me will not improve the team.  Committing to his salary would doom us to 10 years of Cowboy like mediocrity IMO.  
I think the same goes for Watson.  I could be wrong about that guy, but he's done little with a lot of team talent in the past IMO.  

I wish we would get a chance to see Eason because I think PR is really getting this offense moving with limited talent most of the season with the injuries.  JB is worthless and you can't read the quality of the O with him in, but I wonder how good this O really is.  

What I'm doing a poor job of saying is that I think many are really underestimating how good PR is doing in this O.  The run game has been crap.  The pass catchers have mostly been Psquad guys.  The line is really good but not dominating this year.

HIs quick release and quick reads are not something many others in the league can do.  I mean I get it.  It's Philip Jabroni Rivers, and he throws goofy, and he's very clunky, and he makes a terrible throw a time or two a game, but he's also pretty * good.

Both of those guys would be huge gambles IMO that I personally hope the team does not take. 

They will have to find their guy in the draft.

• Like 1
On 11/22/2020 at 9:56 PM, danlhart87 said:

Several posters are so against bringing Rivers back for 1 more year. 

This is the 2nd time  (Bengals) he has led HUGE double digit comeback. 

Are you more open to another Rivers year cause I am.

We could very well be 5 - 5 without him 

That's a strawman argument Dan.  We wouldn't be going "without" him if we choose another option. We would be going with someone Ballard feels is better.   

10 hours ago, Superman said:

Now if you are talking about beating KC in the playoffs, I don't think this team or any other is legitimately good enough.

But are you freaking kidding?  The last few weeks have proven that we are good enough to compete Supe.  Winning is not guaranteed, but surely it's pretty obvious that we are competitive with the best teams.

I didn't know if we were or not and was skeptical before Baltimore, but we've competed pretty well against them and since them.

13 minutes ago, JPFolks said:

That's a strawman argument Dan.  We wouldn't be going "without" him if we choose another option. We would be going with someone Ballard feels is better.   

Your logic is wrong on so many levels. That is not a straw man argument at all as far as I can tell.  

You are actually making a straw man argument by taking what Dan said and exaggerating it. 

He said we could be 5-5 without PR, not that we would be.  

Another distortion of logic in your post is that Ballard would have to feel that his option was better.  That is wrong.  It's a non-sequitur. What if Brady stayed in NE and Rivers signed in TB?  If Ballard thought PR was the best, then he would have to sign someone he thought was worse.  

Teams do not always get to sign who they think is  better option.  In FA, the FA decides who is his best option, not the other way around.

1 minute ago, Nickster said:

Your logic is wrong on so many levels. That is not a straw man argument at all as far as I can tell.  

You are actually making a straw man argument by taking what Dan said and exaggerating it. 

He said we could be 5-5 without PR, not that we would be.  

Another distortion of logic in your post is that Ballard would have to feel that his option was better.  That is wrong.  It's a non-sequitur. What if Brady stayed in NE and Rivers signed in TB?  If Ballard thought PR was the best, then he would have to sign someone he thought was worse.  

Teams do not always get to sign who they think is  better option.  In FA, the FA decides who is his best option, not the other way around.

You missed the purpose and argument of Dan's post, and that is that he thinks we should bring Rivers back.  The strawman part only occurs concerning that point.  Our actual record and Rivers part in it isn't up for argument.  It "is" rather than being an argument. It is simply a statistic, a fact and not open for debate.  

The "strawman" argument is that we will need Rivers again NEXT YEAR.  The "strawman" portion concerns assuming our only alternative options would be the same as this years options were, in the future.  If Ballard decides there is a better option for next year, then you'd have to argue THAT specific (and completely unknown) option versus Rivers.  To do otherwise is a "strawman" argument.  

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Rivers has this team a 4th seed in the AFC but yet some thinks he's not good enough? 

image.thumb.png.ce125456e51f4419c4acb96da1d1d542.png

Actually it is ridiculous, while I will agree the Defense is good and SP Teams are great, if anyone thinks we would be 7-3 with JB or Eason at QB they are delusional, JMO. We would be maybe 5-5 with JB and with Eason who is a rookie it could be uglier. Rivers has done a good job so far, he deserves credit just as much as anyone else for being 7-3.  

• Like 2

Folks, all we need to do is win just 50 percent of our fans upcoming. Finish 10-6, we will make the playoffs. Especially with an expansion to 7 teams per.

that said, win against the Titans, and we all but wrap up the AFCS and the at minimum, a 4th seed. So let’s take it a week at a time. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Folks, all we need to do is win just 50 percent of our fans upcoming. Finish 10-6, we will make the playoffs. Especially with an expansion to 7 teams per.

that said, win against the Titans, and we all but wrap up the AFCS and the at minimum, a 4th seed. So let’s take it a week at a time. 

If we sweep Tennessee and get to 8-3 and Rivers plays good again, I am convinced at that point he can play another year. Big game coming up but Tennessee will be deflated if we take this one.

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we sweep Tennessee and get to 8-3 and Rivers plays good again, I am convinced at that point he can play another year. Big game coming up but Tennessee will be deflated if we take this one.

This next game may be the biggest game we have all season. From a pressure/need to win stand point.

• Like 5
12 hours ago, Superman said:

Since the QB's in the NFL always get more credit and more blame than they should, I have no issue with someone saying Rivers has this team as the 4th seed.  As good as the defense has been, there were a couple games where Rivers and the offense had to bail them out.   The offensive play calling has had some blips this season, but for the most part, I feel better about the offense than I did last season.  

I do think the ceiling for this team is 1 playoff victory.   I think that is higher with Rivers than it would be with Brissett or Eason at this time.  

8 minutes ago, csmopar said:

This next game may be the biggest game we have all season. From a pressure/need to win stand point.

I agree.   The Titans are a very good team and will be playing for their playoff life just like the Colts.   

• Like 2
On 11/22/2020 at 11:00 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

That Jags game still bugs me, that is just how I am wired lmao 

I know this is 3 pages back, but our loss to the jags might have very well saved this division from the likes of Lawrence... 

The two teams leading the charge for him are the Jets who are winless and the Jags with 1 win. 

• Like 2
22 hours ago, Shive said:

If nothing changes with our roster for next year, Jacob Eason will be the only QB under contract, since Rivers and Brissett's contracts are up after this year.

Having one QB on our roster would be a change. If nothing changes to our roster than it means we resigned PR & JB. Our roster changing would be not signing them and only having JE. 

no changes = same roster, QB's PR,JB,JE

changes = different roster , QB's JE & ?? maybe resigning PR or JB

:facepalm:

• Confused 1
15 minutes ago, Colt1841 said:

Having one QB on our roster would be a change. If nothing changes to our roster than it means we resigned PR & JB. Our roster changing would be not signing them and only having JE. 

no changes = same roster, QB's PR,JB,JE

changes = different roster , QB's JE & ?? maybe resigning PR or JB

:facepalm:

To me, "if nothing changes" means "if we don't take any actions".

Your assumption is based on us resigning both Rivers and JB to the exact same contracts they have now, which is just asinine. IF JB was resigned, there's absolutely no way it would be with the contract he has now and as long as Eason looks at least like a serviceable backup, I don't see JB being resigned.

Tack this up to a difference in semantics, but the point you're trying to make is essentially moot considering there's no basis in reality for both Rivers and Brissett being resigned for their exact same contracts.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, richard pallo said:

To answer your question I do.  And I think Ballard and Reich think so as well.  That is why he is here.  I will give Ballard the benefit of the doubt here.  He knows very well how important his decisions are.  I guess we will find out more after the season ends.  He will evaluate all of his players, including Eason, and determine if a QB move is necessary.  I think Eason, if he is the answer, can afford a second season on the bench if need be.  Not a big deal IMO.  Might be the ideal outcome actually.  

I also think Rivers can do it. But he has to play mostly mistake free ball the rest of the way there for it to happen. Which has been happening lately. 

But when the game is on the line i dont feel confident in the offense. I do however see that the offense is starting to find its groove, and if they do, this team can beat any in the league. 

As for Eason I think he's the next starting QB for this team. He's got the arm for every throw. You can talk about where he was drafted all you want, but for me, it doesn't matter where you pick up a player. 

Ballard also picks players no one else cares about (see Darius Leonard) and Eason is just one of those players. 

Bringing in old man Rivers had a duel purpose... train the rookie, and make us better. The reason Eason is inactive every week is because we know he's got the arm. He just needs time to develop mentally, and thats where Rivers excels. 

If Ballard doesn't draft a QB this draft the answer becomes obvious. 

Jmo, my hunch. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Yep, the implications are huge: with a win we basically lock up the division and with a few more wins could even capture the AFC's 3rd seed, with a loss we go from the 4th seed that we're sitting on now, to the 8th seed and just outside the playoff bubble looking in, and we've already played (and lost to) or don't play all but 1 of the teams we'd be competing with for that 7th seed and final postseason spot. 

We could go from a guaranteed home playoff game, to a road game likely in some bad weather city if we're fortunate enough to fight our way in, and that could have a big impact on exactly how far we go this year.

• Like 1

This team is perfectly capable I think of going on a run like TN last year. This isn’t the same colts team that fell apart the second half last year. For one thing we have been incredibly lucky with injuries after the first two weeks. It’s nice to see that. We seem to have much better leaders on the field. Buckner and Rhodes have really helped this defense. Pittman is emerging as the number one and pascal might end up with more yards than last season. He has been consistantly getting 50 to 60 yards. TY is playing a important role. He doesn’t have to be the number one anymore. 

The run game is getting better after a slow start the offense seems to be finally coming together. Reich still needs to get better but this is becoming Rivers football team just in time for a playoff run. We are getting stronger just at the right time.

• Like 1

Rivers has been the reason we have won at least two games. Bengals and the Packers. The huge question was could he bring this team back if we got down. He has. So yes I would say he has this team at the 4th seed. There is a good chance we could get that 3rd seed.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, JPFolks said:

You missed the purpose and argument of Dan's post, and that is that he thinks we should bring Rivers back.  The strawman part only occurs concerning that point.  Our actual record and Rivers part in it isn't up for argument.  It "is" rather than being an argument. It is simply a statistic, a fact and not open for debate.  

The "strawman" argument is that we will need Rivers again NEXT YEAR.  The "strawman" portion concerns assuming our only alternative options would be the same as this years options were, in the future.  If Ballard decides there is a better option for next year, then you'd have to argue THAT specific (and completely unknown) option versus Rivers.  To do otherwise is a "strawman" argument.  

OK but there are quite a few convolutions there to get to what seems to be a pretty clear point.  And I guess yeah if this were a debate club, we would need to take each indidual possibility but that is a little tedious to do all at once.

Dan as do I think that we will be better off with Rivers next year than not having Rivers.  One of the pieces I would cite would be the fact that we are 7-3, have navigated the last 3 weeks well, and Rivers seems to be playing at a high level.

So for instance I will argue specifically against Prescott.  He is a guy that IMO would put us squarely on the road to medicrity similar to what has happened in Dallas.  I think it would be worse here because he would command more of the team's resources as far as salary goes compared to what he now does in Dallas, which would mean less money for talent elsewhere.  He has done nothing speical in Dallas and seems to pad a lot of the gaudy numbers in bad losses.

I would say about the same for Deshauwn Watson.  He is younger, but the eye test tells me that his teams have been pretty mediocre with quite a bit of talent.  

I don't think either one of these guys would be an upgrade next year, necessarily over Rivers, and I think it would be a huge gamble with the the committment you would have to make with these guys.  You would hamstring your org for years with their salaries if they didn't work out.

What other possibilities do you see out there JP for us to compete NEXT YEAR?

I'd actually like to see us sign Winston to back up Rivers next year.  He will be cheap, he's young, and he certainly has potential.  I am not in love with him, but the talent is there, and I would sign him for a couple, few years to back up PR and then possibly take over after next season.  

Signing Winston should not interere with anything else you do.  You can still develop Eason.  You could draft another guy, but then I would assume you are not considering Eason if you do that.

Arian's offense increases the possibilty of bad QB games.  Last year Winston had 8 games below 60 QBR but Tawmmy already has 6 and has even more offensive talent around him that Winston had.

That downfield passing attack has a large margin for error.  Winston has had good NFL seasons, and I can't believe no one is trying to see if they can restart him a little.

I was surprised that NO didn't, but then they looked pretty good with ole Taysom at the helm.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t mean to split hairs....

But while freely admitting 2020 Rivers isn’t 2010 Rivers or even 2018 Rivers, he’s certainly much better than 2019 Rivers.  He’s having a very good year, and he’s doing that without the weapons that other QB’s have.   And he’s doing it without the expected running game until this week.   

2020 Rivers is also clearly better than 2019 Brissett, so I’m not ready to discount his responsibility for our current 7-3.  I agree things could still come off the rails.   I agree that the defense and ST get equal or greater credit, but still...   Rivers is driving our offensive train in a way JB could not.  So it feels that at least thru 10 weeks, at least, he’s deserving of more credit than you’re currently offering. 

Did I thread that very small needle?    :peek:

Rivers is better for our offense than JB would be. You'll get no argument out of me on that. He's doing his job. My comment was not meant as a knock on Rivers, just a desire to assign credit where it belongs, and not just give it all to the QB.

I will put up a small fight about whether he's appreciably better than he was last year. Through ten games in 2019, Rivers was 240/364 (65.9%), had 2,816 passing yards (7.7 yards/attempt), 14 TDs and 10 INTs. He was also sacked 21 times (5.4%). The Chargers were 4-6. Rivers had some good games last year, including in losses.

Through ten games in 2020, Rivers is 239/349 (71.3%), has 2,683 passing yards (7.7 yards/attempt), 14 TDs and 8 INTs. And he's been sacked 9 times (2.5%). The Colts are 7-3. Isn't he pretty much the same guy so far? Except he's playing behind a better OL and getting better defensive and STs support.

I'm going to repeat this in my next couple of posts, but my initial point is that Rivers doesn't have this team at 7-3. We have an average offense, and a top five defense. The defense is the main catalyst, and it's giving Rivers undue credit to state that 'he has us at 7-3.' 

I'm sticking to what I said early on about Rivers. He's going to give you a few bad games. But our early woes were not all on him. We weren't untiring our running game well and we lost Campbell and also Pittman for some time. I still think any given game Rivers may throw away the game, but most of the time he is accurate and gives us a chance to win. If we make the playoffs I want to see us bring him back. There is just no garauntee we find a better alternative.

9 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

? Rivers is the QB and the leader of this team. Yes the strong point of our team is the defense but it it still the offense that scores the points to win. 

I agree that no one player is responsible but his veterans leadership means more than you want to give any credit. 

Just because he is not a Mahomes or a Wilson does not devalue what he is to this team. 

With the help of the defense he pretty much equaled Rogers this last week. 

He has already done more for this team than a lot of fans thought he would. 

I'm not arguing most of that. I take issue with your characterization of my statement as not giving Rivers credit, or devaluing him. (I also don't think he was as good as Rodgers was on Sunday.) I'm not comparing him to Mahomes or Wilson, either.

I'm simply saying that your statement that 'he has us at 7-3' is giving him more credit than he deserves. 

Maybe mentioning JB muddied the point. But I mentioned JB because last year, everyone was claiming 'he has us at 5-2' as if that meant that he was playing great QB. Just because the team has a winning record doesn't mean the QB is responsible for the team's success. Yes, Rivers is definitely playing better than JB did last year, but the principle holds true -- just because the team has a winning record doesn't mean the QB should be credited with that success.

If the QB was the main catalyst behind the success, that would be obvious, and I wouldn't have said anything. In this case, the QB is not the main catalyst behind the team's success so far. That doesn't mean I'm devaluing his contribution. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Superman said:

I don't think the Colts defense is getting enough credit... probably because they have only been great for a half in most games.  But they are playing really well.  I think the GB game was the 4th time this season that the Colts have held the other team to 3 points or less in the 2nd half.  That is incredible.

• Like 3
38 minutes ago, Superman said:

Rivers is better for our offense than JB would be. You'll get no argument out of me on that. He's doing his job. My comment was not meant as a knock on Rivers, just a desire to assign credit where it belongs, and not just give it all to the QB.

I will put up a small fight about whether he's appreciably better than he was last year. Through ten games in 2019, Rivers was 240/364 (65.9%), had 2,816 passing yards (7.7 yards/attempt), 14 TDs and 10 INTs. He was also sacked 21 times (5.4%). The Chargers were 4-6. Rivers had some good games last year, including in losses.

Through ten games in 2020, Rivers is 239/349 (71.3%), has 2,683 passing yards (7.7 yards/attempt), 14 TDs and 8 INTs. And he's been sacked 9 times (2.5%). The Colts are 7-3. Isn't he pretty much the same guy so far? Except he's playing behind a better OL and getting better defensive and STs support.

I'm going to repeat this in my next couple of posts, but my initial point is that Rivers doesn't have this team at 7-3. We have an average offense, and a top five defense. The defense is the main catalyst, and it's giving Rivers undue credit to state that 'he has us at 7-3.' 

I don't know if you are being disingenous or simply not looking at the numbers.  We have a good top third offense with very limited weapons all year long and one of the worst running games in NFL.

We currently sit 13 in total yards but are less than a 100 yds from being 7th.  That is basically a statistical tie for 7th.

We are also currently 10th in the league in scoring offense which is pretty freaking good when you take into consideration the injuries and the PSquad players we've had.

So another way of saying it is, damn PR has done a pretty good job moving the ball and putting points on the board with limited weapons.  Or in other words, PR has us at 7-3.

I mean I get what you're saying, but come on dude.  Rivers is balling right now.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not arguing most of that. I take issue with your characterization of my statement as not giving Rivers credit, or devaluing him. (I also don't think he was as good as Rodgers was on Sunday.) I'm not comparing him to Mahomes or Wilson, either.

I'm simply saying that your statement that 'he has us at 7-3' is giving him more credit than he deserves. 

Maybe mentioning JB muddied the point. But I mentioned JB because last year, everyone was claiming 'he has us at 5-2' as if that meant that he was playing great QB. Just because the team has a winning record doesn't mean the QB is responsible for the team's success. Yes, Rivers is definitely playing better than JB did last year, but the principle holds true -- just because the team has a winning record doesn't mean the QB should be credited with that success.

If the QB was the main catalyst behind the success, that would be obvious, and I wouldn't have said anything. In this case, the QB is not the main catalyst behind the team's success so far. That doesn't mean I'm devaluing his contribution. 

I don't believe any sentient being has ever uttered the words Rivers is better than Rodgers.  Really, you could probably insert just about any name in the place of Rivers in that clause.

Put Rodgers in KC.  What do you see?  Are they worse?  Put Mahomes in GB, are they better?  
I love Mahomes, but I think that ARodg would look pretty good in KC red too.

You seriously can't see that Rivers has this team at 7-3?  There should be no conroversy in that idea.  

2 hours ago, Myles said:

Since the QB's in the NFL always get more credit and more blame than they should, I have no issue with someone saying Rivers has this team as the 4th seed.  As good as the defense has been, there were a couple games where Rivers and the offense had to bail them out.   The offensive play calling has had some blips this season, but for the most part, I feel better about the offense than I did last season.  

I do think the ceiling for this team is 1 playoff victory.   I think that is higher with Rivers than it would be with Brissett or Eason at this time.  

The bolded is the main problem. If our analysis of QBs is going to begin and end with the team's record, then what's the point? 

We've all seen great/outstanding QBing be undermined by poor line play, poor defense, and poor STs play. We've seen great team play be undermined by poor QBing. Why we continue to equate team record with QB performance is something that I don't understand, and I'm not going to co-sign it when it happens.

That's why I do have issue with someone saying Rivers has this team as the 4th seed. The offense is bringing up the rear on this team right now. We're fifth in scoring defense, which includes TDs scored by opposing teams' defenses (pick sixes, fumbles returned, etc.) We're 10th in scoring offense, which includes defensive and STs scores. Our really good defensive ranking is being dragged down by our offense, and our average offensive ranking is being bolstered by our defense.

Rivers is clearly the best QB on the roster, that's not up for debate. And he's doing the job we're asking him to do. 

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, Superman said:

Maybe I misread your meaning but that is what I took from your comments. 

I seem to be not the only one who took it that way either. 

The QB has always got the credit and the blame for how a team does. 

One thing is no matter how any team does it is the QB who leads the offense to score points. That is why the QB is the most important position on the field. 

Every since Rivers came here the underlying narrative has been when is he going to bust here? It's just a matter of time has often been said. 

When he threw a pick it was way over blown with the "I told you so" and "here it starts"  comments. 

Well IMO Rivers has earned the respect of every Colt fan by his play on the field.