Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I want honest answers to this


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Several posters are so against bringing Rivers back for 1 more year.    This is the 2nd time  (Bengals) he has led HUGE double digit comeback.    Are you more open to another River

I don’t mean to split hairs....   But while freely admitting 2020 Rivers isn’t 2010 Rivers or even 2018 Rivers, he’s certainly much better than 2019 Rivers.  He’s having a very good year, an

I’m definitely not opposed to it. Ask me in 8 weeks

Posted Images

Just now, danlhart87 said:

Several posters are so against bringing Rivers back for 1 more year. 

 

This is the 2nd time  (Bengals) he has led HUGE double digit comeback. 

 

Are you more open to another Rivers year cause I am.

 

We could very well be 5 - 5 without him 

To early to tell ,lots to be written .

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Several posters are so against bringing Rivers back for 1 more year. 

 

This is the 2nd time  (Bengals) he has led HUGE double digit comeback. 

 

Are you more open to another Rivers year cause I am.

 

We could very well be 5 - 5 without him 

I’m definitely not opposed to it. Ask me in 8 weeks

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

sign me up. 

 

From Cinci on, he's tossed 10 TDs and only 3 INTs. And a few of those (like tonight) were not really his issue.

 

He's proven he can deal it around to a wide assortment of pass catchers. He's put the team on his back several times. 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, danlhart87 said:

Several posters are so against bringing Rivers back for 1 more year. 

 

This is the 2nd time  (Bengals) he has led HUGE double digit comeback. 

 

Are you more open to another Rivers year cause I am.

 

We could very well be 5 - 5 without him 

Was talking to a friend about this on the phone about 30 minutes ago. Yeah, I'm more receptive to bringing him back now. He's doing a really good job for us! :thmup:

  • Like 4
  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll admit, Rivers still has some strength in his arm, but how well he holds up in bad weather games in the playoffs if we get in like kansas city, buffalo, and pittsburgh will be a telling story.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you want an answer after 11 weeks and 10 games, my answer is yes.  Bring Rivers back.

 

BUT....

 

I don’t want to sign that 2021 contract now.  I still want to wait until the off-season to gather more information.   I want to see him in the playoffs.  
 

At the point, if the boxes are checked, then another year at the same terms.  One more year.   And with Eason as the backup. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

We are finally running the ball which is helping this team stay balanced. He needs to come back. Big question though do you bring Jacoby back. You might need him to compliment rivers.

I don't bring Jacoby back honestly. He will probably want too much money to be a backup, and knowing Jacoby, he probably wants to try and play for a starters job, which he wouldn't get from Rivers. Only way I sign Jacoby for next year is if we get him for $5 million or less on a 1 year deal. Other than that, I promote Eason to backup duty as he seems to be doing well learning right now and staying on the 53.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't bring Jacoby back honestly. He will probably want too much money to be a backup, and knowing Jacoby, he probably wants to try and play for a starters job, which he wouldn't get from Rivers. Only way I sign Jacoby for next year is if we get him for $5 million or less on a 1 year deal. Other than that, I promote Eason to backup duty as he seems to be doing well learning right now and staying on the 53.

You don't want the king of 3rd and 4th and 1's back :banana:

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't bring Jacoby back honestly. He will probably want too much money to be a backup, and knowing Jacoby, he probably wants to try and play for a starters job, which he wouldn't get from Rivers. Only way I sign Jacoby for next year is if we get him for $5 million or less on a 1 year deal. Other than that, I promote Eason to backup duty as he seems to be doing well learning right now and staying on the 53.

I think we could get Jacoby for that. I don’t think there will be much market for Jacoby. Maybe a backup in NE but that might be it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

No. I am Enjoying the ride and appreciating the play but besides a championship, I am ready to move to the future at the position 

We have to good of a team to just turn it over to a rookie. Could Eason be ready? Not so sure without no preseason. Reich has said he is starting to get scout team reps so they probably know more then we do. I think it’s important to have stability at QB for one more year.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

You might be right. He likes it here and he may take less money. He seems to love his role now. You never know.

I actually wouldn’t mind bringing all three back if we don’t draft anyone Jacoby can be had for little money. If we draft a QB within the first two rounds I there wouldnt then be room. I think this year we should find the future left tackle and maybe skip QB one more year. Give Eason another year and upgrade tackle and some offensive skill positions.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

I actually wouldn’t mind bringing all three back if we don’t draft anyone Jacoby can be had for little money. If we draft a QB within the first two rounds I there wouldnt then be room. I think this year we should find the future left tackle and maybe skip QB one more year. Give Eason another year and upgrade tackle and some offensive skill positions.

It's a tough situation, because the 2021 draft class is so good at QB. I don't know the 2022 class at QB yet, but this one has guys in the entire first round available to take. We do have some major holes though after this season most likely: QB, CB, EDGE, WR, and OT. So it's probably going to come down to what we fill in FA and the best players at a position of need in the draft early on.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We have to good of a team to just turn it over to a rookie. Could Eason be ready? Not so sure without no preseason. Reich has said he is starting to get scout team reps so they probably know more then we do. I think it’s important to have stability at QB for one more year.

I think with a more mobile QB who will push the ball downfield as Rivers has done since CIN, we’d been an even better team. PA bootlegs and rollouts are major parts of offense that we can’t even use 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If they don't view Eason as good enough to be a backup next year, then it's probably time to move on from Eason.

And if that's the case, you grab a QB like Trask in the 1st round, and bring back Rivers.

I just don't see situation where bringing back JB is in the cards. I don't mind carrying 3 QBs, but it is a roster spot.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I actually wouldn’t mind bringing all three back if we don’t draft anyone Jacoby can be had for little money. If we draft a QB within the first two rounds I there wouldnt then be room. I think this year we should find the future left tackle and maybe skip QB one more year. Give Eason another year and upgrade tackle and some offensive skill positions.

I would be ok with drafting O.Line in the 1st round, LT and maybe draft another Guard in round 3. O.Lineman are obviously very important. I would go WR in Round 2 eventhough I think Pittman will pan out. I doubt we draft a QB because if we win the division, I see Rivers coming back.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

If they don't view Eason as good enough to be a backup next year, then it's probably time to move on from Eason.

And if that's the case, you grab a QB like Trask in the 1st round, and bring back Rivers.

I just don't see situation where bringing back JB is in the cards. I don't mind carrying 3 QBs, but it is a roster spot.

I don't either unless he wants to come back for cheap. That could happen but I doubt it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I would be ok with drafting O.Line in the 1st round, LT and maybe draft another Guard in round 3. O.Lineman are obviously very important. I would go WR in Round 2 eventhough I think Pittman will pan out. I doubt we draft a QB because if we win the division, I see Rivers coming back.

Pittman will be a good one IMO! It's nice to see him start to grow after his injury. Not many targets today, but the 45 yard td was awesome and Rivers spread it around. I'm fine with that if it gets the win. :thmup:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Pittman will be a good one IMO! It's nice to see him start to grow after his injury. Not many targets today, but the 45 yard td was awesome and Rivers spread it around. I'm fine with that if it gets the win. :thmup:

He’s already a good one.  He’s really come into his own since he came back from his injury.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't either unless he wants to come back for cheap. That could happen but I doubt it.

To me, the price isn't a factor. Either Eason is good enough to take over backup, or we need to move on. If we move on, we go early. If we go early, a guy like Trask can take the backup job out of the gate. Whoever we tag as the future QB needs to be in the backup role next year to gain the experience. This year was weird with JB already being highly paid and under contract. I'd rather have the roster spot for another position. I wouldn't hate having JB back for cheap, just doesn't make sense. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

To me, the price isn't a factor. Either Eason is good enough to take over backup, or we need to move on. If we move on, we go early. If we go early, a guy like Trask can take the backup job out of the gate. Whoever we tag as the future QB needs to be in the backup role next year to gain the experience. This year was weird with JB already being highly paid and under contract. I'd rather have the roster spot for another position. I wouldn't hate having JB back for cheap, just doesn't make sense. 

Like you said, it really does depend on what Ballard and Reich think of Eason. I have no idea about Eason because he never plays and Reich doesn't even talk about him. It is a mystery? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Like you said, it really does depend on what Ballard and Reich think of Eason. I have no idea about Eason because he never plays and Reich doesn't even talk about him. It is a mystery? 

To us I am sure the Colts are very aware of where they think of Eason is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ojsglove said:

Swag returns.  :rock:

Honestly, I'd take Kelly as the 3rd string QB next year on a 1 year $1 million dollar deal or something. It'd be worth it for the simple fact that he knows the playbook, and it keeps us from having to draft a QB next year and we can use it to improve the rest of the team. That's worth a million, isn't it?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

All I know is that only 3 teams have a better record than us right now, and Rivers is playing well, not to mention 2 comebacks. 

It would be foolish not to bring him back if he maintains his current level of play. He's close to his 2018 level right now.

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I have no idea if this 100% true, but I believe Ballards intent was to re-sign Autry and Muhammed, and let Houston go for a high compensatory pick. Think about it, we already re-signed Muhammed. Before that, we tried to get Autry back, and he went with the Titans. Autry is younger, and he signed for 3 years $21,500,000. Houston is older, and will probably sign for a bit more a year. That means we would of not only got a younger player at EDGE, but we would of got a higher compensatory pick in that scenario.   Now Ballard didn't get Autry, is probably going to get a 5th for him or something along those lines, and has to decide whether to re-sign Houston for more, who is older, and not get the higher pick for him. After the draft, I believe you don't give or receive compensatory picks for signing FA's or getting your own signed. So that comes into play as well. Ballard has a big decision here, and he knows better than us if Houston is getting interest elsewhere right now, or if it's worth to sign him for another deal.    Heck, Balllard may be interested in an EDGE rusher on day 1. Never know. We'll see.  
    • Would be a good deal for the Pats, not the most unbelievable trade either.
    • You ask a lot of good questions.    Unfortunately, I don't think that I, or anyone else,  has a lot of good answers.   Here's what I think we know.   Over The Cap has the Colts with just over $26 Mill.   Spotrac shows less,  and after the Carrie signing, I think we're going to be at $22.4 or so.   I also think we'd like to find a way to thread the financial needle and sign both Houston and Ertz (as a FA).   Even if you allowed $12 Mil for that, (Houston $7 mill and Ertz $5m)  that would leave us with roughly 10-$12 mill, give or take.   Currently, with our 6 picks,  Spotrac shows that will take roughly $6.5 to sign them.   But we all know Ballard has never had a draft class with less than 8 picks,  so expect two more, and that will bring the money needed to sign them to roughly $8 Mill.   Suddenly, we'd be down to $2-4 Mill and change.   Now, this is the part, where I don't know if @w87r  will step in for more financial adjustments that will show that we will have a few more $ than my math shows.    He's a wiz that way!      But typically, teams want 5-10% in reserve for in-season transactions.   BUT....   can you afford to have that much in reserve when your cap has shrunk to $185?     Yes?    No?    I don't know?     Who knows?   So....    lots of questions that need answers....    and we just don't know?    Both Houston and Ertz look like situations that might not resolve themselves until May......    So, we're left hanging....  
    • I vaguely remembered something like this but misremembered that I saw it on Hard Knocks so figured it couldn't haven't been the Colts.   Now that you mention this though, I think you're right.
    • OK....    I thought what I was saying was pretty obvious, but perhaps not,  so I'll try again....   If Chris Ballard wants to blow up and destroy everything he's spent the last 4 years building, I can't think of anything that would do it better than what you suggest.   I'm NOT saying CB should give Q and Darius blank contracts and say "fill in with the numbers you want"....   but CB will re-sign them and they will be big and generous contracts done without a lot of public fighting (unless someone gets WAY out of line with what they're asking.   But I'm not expecting that.)   Ballard has built a franchise built on culture.   We talk about here.   The team talks about it non-stop.    It's buzzing all over the city of Indianapolis.   It's even now buzzing around the NFL.    To suddenly play hardball with your best players, or worse,  trade them because they don't play the right position,  would literally destroy what he's built.   Blow-up the locker room.  Undercut  the relationships Frank Reich has with his players.   The rest of the team would see how we treated Q and Darius and think....   "why should I play hard for this franchise?   F*** them!   I'll ask to be traded the first chance I get."   In case you haven't noticed,  players demanding to be traded has caught on in the NFL.   It's not just for basketball or baseball anymore.   Ballard would lose all credibility with everyone.   He'd have wasted his 4 years here.   Reich would be screwed.   The front office would be furious.   Irsay would likely want to fire him.   It would destroy this franchise.   Final thought....    since you love to throw around what Belichick does....    deal with this...   when the Patriots were winning Super Bowls and making deep playoff runs year after year...     do you know who some of the top players were, besides Brady?     Logan Mankins,  offensive guard.   Rob Gronkowski,  Tight End.    Vince Wilfork,  Nose Tackle.  Donte Hightower, Inside linebacker.    Four key players.    All paid very well.    All Belichick favorites.    None, with the possible exception of Gronk played a sexy, glamour position that you obsess about.       I expect to agree with NONE of this.    But as someone who covered the NFL for 30 years as a member of the media,  and has followed football as close as I could for 25 more years (55 in all)  this is my judgement what would happen if Ballard would do what you suggest.     Sorry.    Good luck.....  
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...