Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rivers has a hurt toe.

13 hours ago, prsiii said:

Just does prove that Archie Manning was right, not wanting eli to play for the chargers. Rivers would probably have a couple rings with another team. Ex charger fan here, now on the colts bandwagon.  

13 hours ago, SpanosSucks said:

As much as I hate Eli Manning, and think it was a b**** move to refuse to play for Chargers, he ultimately made the right choice doing it.  Had he stuck with Chargers, he’d go down as a mediocre QB with no rings.  There are many people who don’t consider Rivers elite and his stats are far better than Eli.  Rivers carried the Chargers for years and I don’t think Eli does that.  Imagine Eli’s stats combined with a whole bunch of Charger losses.  

I disagree, and I’m someone who loathes Dean Spanos as much as anyone, but it’s not his fault that Marty Schottenheimer was a notorious choking coach in the playoffs, (5-13, often losing with the more talented team at his disposal) that Marlon McCree didn’t have the good sense to kneel with what should’ve been a game clinching interception off Tom Brady, that most of the key offensive stars (Gates, LT & Rivers) all got hurt the following postseason or that Antonio Cromartie was a coward with Shonn Greene approaching 2 years after that – any of those things go the other way and the Chargers could have at least 1 ring, if not more.

I’ve never liked when an unproven guy rejects a team that intends to pay him tens of millions before he even proves he can play at the professional level. At least John Elway had been drafted by the Yankees, and had a viable alternative to playing for the Colts.

I do wonder what the response would be if Trevor Lawrence were drafted by the Jets or Jaguars and balked – it don’t think it would be accepted if he dissed a NY based team, but if he disrespected the Jags I don’t think a lot of people nationwide would care. Until the NFL cracks down on that crap (like making the guy sit for multiple seasons, and compensating the spurned team with an additional pick in the next draft) then it’s just a matter of time till it happens again, and the next guy who does it may not go on to win Superbowls or go to Canton.

• Like 1
  • Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If Luck had hurt his toe, he'd be out the next season and a half...   Oh, did I say that out loud?  Sorry.

If Luck hurt his toe, he’d play through it. Like he did with the lacerated kidney and busted ribs. But let’s turn Rivers toughness into a bash Luck post. 

Be fair to the dude, he played though a lacerated kidney for us.

1 hour ago, Lancer1 said:

Marty Schottenheimer was a notorious choking coach in the playoffs, (5-13, often losing with the more talented team at his disposal)

Marty Schottenheimer was a great coach Monday-Saturday.  On Sundays I felt like he gave away lots of games with the prevent defense.  Was living in Wichita KS when he was in KC.  Certainly just my perspective but it felt like the prevent defense prevented KC from winning usually.  

And I think he continued the tradition in SD.

15 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

If Luck had hurt his toe, he'd be out the next season and a half...

Oh, did I say that out loud?  Sorry.

I remember in 2015 Andrew luck suffered a sprained shoulder a torn cartilage in his ribs in the week 3 game against the Titans. He ended up leading the Colts to a wild 35-33 win. He ended up coming back three weeks later and playing the next month and then ended up lacerating a kidney and tearing one of his ab muscles. He somehow managed to finish that game in which they won. Then the guy played the entire 2016 season with a busted shoulder.

Yeah, Andrew Luck is one of the toughest players to have ever played the game. It's just a shame he was playing under * poor management that decided that throwing him on the field with a busted shoulder was a lot better than sitting him for the year which would have ended similar to the way the 2011 season had. Come on man.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, gspdx said:

Marty Schottenheimer was a great coach Monday-Saturday.  On Sundays I felt like he gave away lots of games with the prevent defense.  Was living in Wichita KS when he was in KC.  Certainly just my perspective but it felt like the prevent defense prevented KC from winning usually.  

And I think he continued the tradition in SD.

That, and his infamous nepotism - when Doug Flutie was the Chargers QB, Marty's son Brian was his position coach: I'm very curious as to exactly what Brian could've told Doug about quarterbacking on any level!

In the end, it was the nepotism (and his stubbornness) that led to Marty's ouster in San Diego. Freshly eliminated from the playoffs after a 14-2 season in which the Bolts were the AFC's #1 seed, both Coordinators were hired as Head Coaches by other teams and needed to be replaced. Marty wanted to hire his brother Kurt as DC, and the GM balked. Marty maintained that as Head Coach, he should be able to select his own assistants. The Owner then fired Marty, and it is speculated that the GM had given the Owner an ultimatum: "Either he goes, or I do!"

23 minutes ago, Lancer1 said:

That, and his infamous nepotism - when Doug Flutie was the Chargers QB, Marty's son Brian was his position coach: I'm very curious as to exactly what Brian could've told Doug about quarterbacking on any level!

In the end, it was the nepotism (and his stubbornness) that led to Marty's ouster in San Diego. Freshly eliminated from the playoffs after a 14-2 season in which the Bolts were the AFC's #1 seed, both Coordinators were hired as Head Coaches by other teams and needed to be replaced. Marty wanted to hire his brother Kurt as DC, and the GM balked. Marty maintained that as Head Coach, he should be able to select his own assistants. The Owner then fired Marty, and it is speculated that the GM had given the Owner an ultimatum: "Either he goes, or I do!"

What could John Hufnagel teach Peyton about being a qb?

6 hours ago, Lancer1 said:

I disagree, and I’m someone who loathes Dean Spanos as much as anyone, but it’s not his fault that Marty Schottenheimer was a notorious choking coach in the playoffs

Firing Marty after going 14-2 was really bad juju. 

• Like 1

I agree about not giving Andrew more props. Dude put his body on the line year in and year out behind a putrid offensive line. It’s on Grigson and Pagano as to why he’s already retired. As for Rivers, I was skeptical of that signing. It’s been a lot more good than bad. I’ve said it many times before on this forum. I have a lot of faith in Ballard. He knows what he’s doing with this organization

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Four2itus said:

Firing Marty after going 14-2 was really bad juju. 

Marty basically fired himself by insisting on hiring his brother against the GM's wishes - most Head Coaches who butt heads with their GMs get shown the door, especially if they're known for postseason futility.