Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Holding Calls. The right calls?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They were right by the law but my problem is the Packers were doing the same thing and the flags weren’t coming.  I mean they tackled a guy about to sack Rodgers on the last drive.  

The refs definitely tried to give the Packers a way to stay in the game - pathetic 

Lets put it this way...how often does a potentially game sealing drive end w 6 offensive holds in the final 2 minutes?

I mean they were calling them all game. It does seem odd when they called them on every play at the end, and I was cussing the refs too, but all the replays showed a Colt holding. The TD run by JT was definitely a direct result of Pascal holding.

 

I don’t hear anyone mentioning the Aaron Jones face mask on the drive where GB tied it up with a FG...those 15 yards could have helped them punch it in. 

 

All I’m saying is it’s hard to complain about the holding calls and conspiracy when there were definitely other ways they could have helped GB win. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

I mean they were calling them all game. It does seem odd when they called them on every play at the end, and I was cussing the refs too, but all the replays showed a Colt holding. The TD run by JT was definitely a direct result of Pascal holding.

 

I don’t hear anyone mentioning the Aaron Jones face mask on the drive where GB tied it up with a FG...those 15 yards could have helped them punch it in. 

 

All I’m saying is it’s hard to complain about the holding calls and conspiracy when there were definitely other ways they could have helped GB win. 

Except they didn’t call it the same way all game.  Literally the next drive the Packers tackled a Colts defender about to sack Rodgers and no flag.  There were some really bad hold there (the one by Pittman stands out) that you have to flag but most of those were the you can call that every play and officials don’t because this is what happens if you do and no one wants to watch a game like that.

 

Did the officials miss the face mask?  Yes.  Depending on who you ask they also gave them a huge PI before halftime.  Officials do blow calls I won’t argue that but calling a game on one drive and differently than you did the rest of the game isn’t acceptable.  Yea they were being tight with holding all day but I see the kinds of “holds” the Colts were doing on that drive just about every snap of every game includes this one that arent called.  
 

I also take issue with them not blowing the incomplete pass by Rivers dead on the field and letting it get to replay.  I know they are told to do that on close plays but that wasn’t close and you shouldn’t depend on replay for obvious calls like that.  I’ve seen too many odd things happen in replay where they start looking at it like well can we see it the other way rather than go with obvious call,  see the “fumble” in the Ravens game for example.  
 

This crew was bad.  Do I think they were out to get the Colts?  No.  Do I think they had a bad day at the office no different from when players have a bad day?  Yes.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, gspdx said:

 

But you were still speeding.  Regardless of if others were and whether they were ticketed.  I'm not saying that would be right, but it still isn't proof of a conspiracy even though it really looks suspect.

 

And I agree it looks suspect but I would need evidence of a conspiracy, not just the "they were doing it too" argument.

 

Oh, I wasn't arguing there is a conspiracy.  I don't believe that.  Just horrible, inconsistent officiating.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Except they didn’t call it the same way all game.  Literally the next drive the Packers tackled a Colts defender about to sack Rodgers and no flag.  There were some really bad hold there (the one by Pittman stands out) that you have to flag but most of those were the you can call that every play and officials don’t because this is what happens if you do and no one wants to watch a game like that.

 

Did the officials miss the face mask?  Yes.  Depending on who you ask they also gave them a huge PI before halftime.  Officials do blow calls I won’t argue that but calling a game on one drive and differently than you did the rest of the game isn’t acceptable.  Yea they were being tight with holding all day but I see the kinds of “holds” the Colts were doing on that drive just about every snap of every game includes this one that arent called.  
 

I also take issue with them not blowing the incomplete pass by Rivers dead on the field and letting it get to replay.  I know they are told to do that on close plays but that wasn’t close and you shouldn’t depend on replay for obvious calls like that.  I’ve seen too many odd things happen in replay where they start looking at it like well can we see it the other way rather than go with obvious call,  see the “fumble” in the Ravens game for example.  
 

This crew was bad.  Do I think they were out to get the Colts?  No.  Do I think they had a bad day at the office no different from when players have a bad day?  Yes.

I don’t disagree with any of that. I was just saying if they were trying to give the  Packers the game then the obvious face mask should have been called too. Definitely some bad officiating. Conspiracy, nah. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I don’t disagree with any of that. I was just saying if they were trying to give the  Packers the game then the obvious face mask should have been called too. Definitely some bad officiating. Conspiracy, nah. 

I agree it wasn’t a conspiracy.  I will say there are some teams in the NFL to see more flags than not go their way and the Packers are one of them.  Do I think that’s a conspiracy?  No, like someone else said probably an unconscious bias towards them nothing intentional.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's hard to say. I would guess if there was a conspiracy the officials would want Packers to lose because it would help their boy Brady's seeding if they were to catch saints?

 

The replays showed that the colts were indeed holding, but then again the saying is the refs can call holding on every play if they want to. And at the end they indeed did that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, it was also bad coaching and bad execution. The refs obviously decided to over-officiate holding against the Colts on those two drives. We needed a timeout, huddle, something, to get the offense to settle down and avoid those penalties. They prevented us from being able to run out the clock, or even run it down to any significant degree. The Colts needed to adjust to the refs to execute their gameplan. They didn't, until the OT possession.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's now the day after. I THINK I have a better perspective on this now.

 

First, I think most of us on this forum agree that the calls that were made against the Colts O-line were actual holding penalties. In other words, they were the correct calls. Some may have been tick-tacky, but holding nonetheless.

 

Secondly, I went back and watched several of Green Bays drives and here is what I saw:

 

What I expected to see: Holding on every play. (What many of us on this forum claim is that there is holding on every play and it's really up to the referees to decide whether they will call holding or not).

 

What I actually Saw: Very few plays where an argument could have been made for a holding call against Green Bay. Either their O-line played incredibly soundly, or our defensive lineman did not create enough pressure to force a situation where their O-line had to hold. 

 

Missed Calls: IMO, there were two blatantly missed holding calls, which the Packers should have been flagged for. As mentioned earlier in this thread, during the bomb to Scantling from the end zone, (scroll up for the photo evidence), and another one where our defender was tackled right at the feet of Rogers so that he can get a pass off.

 

Overall, like everyone here thinks, the officiating was horrible and definitely one-sided, but not as bad as I had initially thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a Bears fan who created an account to chime in on this exact topic. This routinely happens in Packers games, weird phantom holding calls and especially the kind of gift TD that was awarded before half. The standard is never applied both ways.

 

Anyone who thinks the Colts were being intentionally screwed just joins an already crowded company of fans who feel like there are rules for the Packers, and then there are rules for everyone else. At least be happy the Colts managed to win despite it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, CircleInterchange said:

I'm a Bears fan who created an account to chime in on this exact topic. This routinely happens in Packers games, weird phantom holding calls and especially the kind of gift TD that was awarded before half. The standard is never applied both ways.

 

Anyone who thinks the Colts were being intentionally screwed just joins an already crowded company of fans who feel like there are rules for the Packers, and then there are rules for everyone else. At least be happy the Colts managed to win despite it.

 

I wrote this yesterday in the game thread. I wrote that fans of NFC North teams see this happen all the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

 

I wrote this yesterday in the game thread. I wrote that fans of NFC North teams see this happen all the time. 

Never quite to the same obsessive extent as that last drive though. That was really something new. I thought the Jags game the week before was the worst I've seen in a while but they really outdid themselves in Indy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CircleInterchange said:

Never quite to the same obsessive extent as that last drive though. That was really something new. I thought the Jags game the week before was the worst I've seen in a while but they really outdid themselves in Indy.

 

What happened yesterday was absurd. What made it even more infuriating was that when the Packers held some Colts defenders on the last drive in regulation, the refs kept the flags in their pockets. :facepalm:

 

Btw, welcome!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the huge issue is, the REFS didn't call it even both ways. GB got away with holding all day, that is the main issue. If REFS are going to call ticky tack holds on us then they need to do it to the opposition as well. I went back and looked at some of those holds and I seen 2 that we had that were real legit = Pascal and there was 1 on Glow that was obvious, Pascal definitely held so taking away the TD I was fine with. Most of them were tick tack though.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

I wrote this yesterday in the game thread. I wrote that fans of NFC North teams see this happen all the time. 

I don’t think it matters. We’re not going anywhere. I don’t see us getting past the Bucs or The Saints. Our defense is still awful and Our D line is awful. We can’t stop the run.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

I don’t think it matters. We’re not going anywhere. I don’t see us getting past the Bucs or The Saints. Our defense is still awful and Our D line is awful. We can’t stop the run.

With Rodgers you always have a chance. IMO GB has as good a chance as anyone in the NFC reaching the SB. Seattle has the same problems on defense, Saints are without Brees, the Bucs are beatable as they just got smoked by the Saints.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

I don’t think it matters. We’re not going anywhere. I don’t see us getting past the Bucs or The Saints. Our defense is still awful and Our D line is awful. We can’t stop the run.

 

The bad calls do matter. The Colts could have lost yesterday and it could have affected their playoff chances. 

 

The Packers can beat the Saints. The Saints are not as good as they were the last two years. They lost at home in the divisional round last year. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With Rodgers you always have a chance. IMO GB has as good a chance as anyone in the NFC reaching the SB. Seattle has the same problems on defense, Saints are without Brees, the Bucs are beatable as they just got smoked by the Saints.

 

I agree.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With Rodgers you always have a chance. IMO GB has as good a chance as anyone in the NFC reaching the SB. Seattle has the same problems on defense, Saints are without Brees, the Bucs are beatable as they just got smoked by the Saints.

The Bucs are one injury away from being ordinary 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

 

The bad calls do matter. The Colts could have lost yesterday and it could have affected their playoff chances. 

 

The Packers can beat the Saints. The Saints are not as good as they were the last two years. They lost at home in the divisional round last year. 

 

I agree.

Look I didn’t agree with the calls either. We still were penalized 7 times and you guys 8 times. The holding calls were nonsense on you guys though. Be happy you won. Don’t worry we will be eliminated in the first playoff game. We play the Titans yet and that’s our toughest game left. We will lose that one.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The Bucs are one injury away from being ordinary 

 

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With Rodgers you always have a chance. IMO GB has as good a chance as anyone in the NFC reaching the SB. Seattle has the same problems on defense, Saints are without Brees, the Bucs are beatable as they just got smoked by the Saints.

We won’t though. It will end like it always does with us choking in the playoffs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great post, that is a safety and game over, clear hold.

And I would normally at least listen to the “you can’t call that in that situation” argument but not after they called an absurd number of holds the drive prior.  
 

I know we will never hear about it but if I am Irsay and Ballard I lit the league up today over this crew and I am showing them that picture along with the one of their tackle tackling the Colts end about to sack Rodgers on that same drive and demanding to know why those weren’t called but every holding call they could find was called against the Colts the drive prior.  

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

And I would normally at least listen to the “you can’t call that in that situation” argument but not after they called an absurd number of holds the drive prior.  
 

I know we will never hear about it but if I am Irsay and Ballard I lit the league up today over this crew and I am showing them that picture along with the one of their tackle tackling the Colts end about to sack Rodgers on that same drive and demanding to know why those weren’t called but every holding call they could find was called against the Colts the drive prior.  

 

I just want the obvious things to be called. You know the ones that have a ref between the camera and the players and you can see the ref looking right at the play? Yeah that one should get called. Lol 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Arodgers12 said:

I am. I’m just saying We don’t have a chance against Seattle, LA Rams, Or the Saints. One of those three will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.

Gotta say it.   If Green Bay was my team, I would be very happy about our chances.  Rodgers is having a great season.  Jones and Williams are rushing the ball very well.   Adams is a top notch WR.  While the defense isn't great, they are 13th in the NFL in passing yards given up and 13th in rushing yards given up.  They have already beat the Saints and now the Saints are without Brees.   Seattle has major defensive issues as they give up the most passing yards of any team in the NFL.  It's not even close.  They give up over 43 more passing yards per game than the next team ((Atlanta).  

 

Don't waste these years being a negative Nancy.   We have seen Colts fans on here come and go.   Some would always say stuff like - Yes this team is good, but we aren't going to win the Super Bowl.   I think it is just a way that some people try to lessen the disappointment when they do not win it all.  Chiefs, Steelers, Ravens, Titans, Colts, Bills, Raiders, Saints, Buccs, Seahawks, Packers, Rams, Cardinals and a few more teams will make the playoffs, but all but 1 fan base will be disappointed when their team loses.   

 

I prefer to enjoy the chance of it happening than to revel in the odds of it not happening.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2020 at 8:16 PM, AustinnKaine said:

You guys are kidding right? That was obviously a string of nit picky calls. The only one that I considered justified was Pittman. For those who are suggesting something is wrong with 56, or the OLIne coach, what do you say about the fact that we have allowed the least sacks? 

If the colts had this offensive line or something close, Luck would still be playing. As for the calls, there is no way one team can be called for that many holds during one series or drives when in fact there are holds going on on every play on both sides of the ball.

The officials picked a pivotal time in that game to crack down on the holding. 2 minutes later they ignore the colts being tackled in the endzone preventing Rodgers from being sacked and delivering a 48 yard reception. I believe this was done to lengthen the game to sell more commercial time. If it was the Colts that were down by 3, maybe they would get all the calls for the same purpose in mind. Which still sucks and erroids the integrity of the game it'self. We are lucky they didn't call that a fumble instead of a incomplete pass.

 

 

 

 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Nadine changed the title to The Holding Calls. The right calls?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • The Paye pick makes a lot of sense but the Dayo pick surprised me. I wanted a left tackle and thought that there were a couple of guys who would have made a lot of sense.   Ballard and co know way more about those players than I do, however, so I'll continue to trust their judgement until they demonstrate that I shouldn't.    I'd rather have two good pass rushers than one good pass rusher and one bad left tackle.
    • I like the breakdown and agree although i caveat with this:   I don't think Leno or Fisher was 2-3 year deals unless they get what their market is before being cut.   And I do not think CB is going to big against himself to do that.   Leno basically made $8M-$9M each year ($8.8, $5.0, $8.1, $8.1) and was slated to make $9.0M this year before cut.   If the Colts are going to offer him $8-$9M a year I think he would gladly take a 2-3 year deal. But if the Colts are bargain shopping then I think he and Fisher will both be happy to take 1 year deals and prove their worth and re-enter the market next year when there is a lot more money to go around.   Fisher probably won't go for a 2-3 year deal unless he is making $10M+    I would actually ideally like to see us give one of them a 2-3 year deal where we have cost control on a decent contract for a year or two beyond this one.   I think that is a big win if so. More likely scenario has us giving one of them a $6M-$8M deal for a year and then having to either try to extend them if it works out or let them walk if it doesn't. 
    • Best option if healthy - Fisher (will still likely want 2-3 years)   Safest option - Leno (likely wants 3 years min)   Most expensive option - Leno   Cheapest short term option with a level of safety - Okung (PFF predicts a 3 year deal, which I don't see).   IMO, if you don't grab one of those guys, or other quality FA, you'll end up starting Tevi. If you start Tevi, before long you're moving Nelson to LT.... Ballard likely doesn't want to give Leno 3-4 years and high dollars. FIsher comes with risk. IDK... 
    • Here's what PFF says, and how they rank them in terms of FAs available.   In short, Houston had the worst pass rush graded year of his career, but still was top 10 in pass rush win rate. Kerrigan on the other had a career worst year all around, was really lousy vs the run, while many expected a bump up in production per snap due to the reduced role.   If Houston would take a one year deal, I'd rather give him 10M than give Kerrigan 5M.     Don't forget we lost 2 (Autry and Houston) and added 3 (Paye, Dayo, Rochell). So even if Dayo takes longer, we're still even net/net with the addition of Rochell.    I agree he could start over Banogu. As long as Turay is deemed healthy enough to play, he'd be a better passing downs rusher than Kerrigan. Kerrigan wouldn't play on running downs at all for us. He'd be a rotational or depth pass rush specialist at best.
    • Man i respect you. But I just have to say the talent gradient in college is so vast compared to the NFL. I Trust Ballard. It makes sense and no way in hell am i making that trade. Whatever happened to sitting a kid for a year? I mean you got a bag, buy in or gtho.
  • Members

    • jmac_48

      jmac_48 377

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • EastStreet

      EastStreet 10,196

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shadow_Creek

      Shadow_Creek 715

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Caffrey

      Caffrey 145

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • boo2202

      boo2202 462

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Southern Cal

      Southern Cal 2

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • The Shoe Fits

      The Shoe Fits 2

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • tvturner

      tvturner 537

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • WoolMagnet

      WoolMagnet 3,249

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • GoColts8818

      GoColts8818 4,983

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...