Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Holding Calls. The right calls?

StatesmanN

I thought a couple of them were bad calls. Hey I guess I’m just grateful to have football right now to enjoy. In August I didn’t think we would have a season so I’m very appreciative that we have these games to watch even though my team lost today. You guys earned it though. Much love from us to you.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Arodgers12 said:

I thought a couple of them were bad calls. Hey I guess I’m just grateful to have football right now to enjoy. In August I didn’t think we would have a season so I’m very appreciative that we have these games to watch even though my team lost today. You guys earned it though. Much love from us to you.

Thank You So Much GIF by megan motown

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Right, it was 1st and 20, and the refs were throwing a flag every run play, literally. Throwing was reasonable. 

Also, I don't care about Dungy's opinion when it comes to play calling and game management. He's incredible conservative and risk averse, and I don't think he would be able to handle the recent data trends regarding pass/run, 4th downs or two point attempts. So offering Dungy as an authority here doesn't work for me. 

If anything I give credit to the packers for being ready for it and blowing that play up.

5 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

Not going to rub the packers nose in it at all they are my B team after the Colts.

I'll chime in on the officiating, we had 2 touchdowns called back yesterday and still won. The refs would not cease their hell bent intention to give that game to the packers. The holding call on Nelson when he was dominating the packer with just one arm and pushing him completely out of the play was a bad joke. Come on people, the refs can call penalties on every play, to call a game so one sided is pathetic. And yes I know we've had some games called in our favor also but not near as often as we get screwed. The call on Rock at the end of the first half was questionable, they were hand fighting, the packer extended his arm to push off Rock so Rock grabbed it, it was hand fighting by both players, should have been a no-call. Free 7 points for the packers. It was a great game though, aside from the brutal officiating. For years I have hated it when refs take over games and yesterday was another prime example. But this team is so good they battled through it and won. That is the mark of a great, playoff caliber team. Go Colts!

By definition they were all holds. But the fact of the matter is, that can literally get called on every single play in the NFL. There was countless times GB did the same with no call. It was as if the Colts were being held to some ungodly standard yesterday. I've never seen that happen at the end of regulation yesterday,

These calls were bogus because they weren't being called on the Packers as well. 2 drives stalled because of holding penalties on the Colts. 

If the defense doesn't play lights out and force turnovers the refs easily hand this game to GB. 

You can call it whatever you want, but if youre scared to acknowledge corruption when it slaps you in the face i feel sorry for you. 

35 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

These calls were bogus because they weren't being called on the Packers as well. 2 drives stalled because of holding penalties on the Colts. 

If the defense doesn't play lights out and force turnovers the refs easily hand this game to GB. 

You can call it whatever you want, but if youre scared to acknowledge corruption when it slaps you in the face i feel sorry for you. 

I admit I think I would have felt bad had we won this game.

I would agree that it seemed a bit one sided but all of those were holding.

I would also agree that some seemed a bit ticky tacky.

I would also say there were times that the Colts didn't look like a well coached, disciplined team.  I know that can happen to any team, but I feel like that needs to be cleaned up a bit in the next 6 weeks.

I also think the team as a whole refused to quit and made the win possible.  Loved the improved defense in the second half and running the ball at the beginning of the 3rd quarter.  Really set the tone for the 2nd half.

37 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

These calls were bogus because they weren't being called on the Packers as well.

That's like saying you weren't speeding because everyone else was too.  Doesn't usually work.  If you don't want a speeding ticket don't speed.

I was not happy with all of the holding calls but some of that can be cleaned up.  If you are going to depend on the refs you are going to be disappointed.

6 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

I admit I think I would have felt bad had we won this game.

I really think GB is a good team. And uncharacteristic having so many turnovers. 

But im upset with refs league wide. When games are decided by stuff like this, where the rules are being kept but the game is still being manipulated. 

What kind of pedestal are you on if you're never allowed to be called out? 

I respect you as a fellow football fan. You have been a genuine person. 

4 minutes ago, gspdx said:

That's like saying you weren't speeding because everyone else was too.  Doesn't usually work.  If you don't want a speeding ticket don't speed.

I was not happy with all of the holding calls but some of that can be cleaned up.  If you are going to depend on the refs you are going to be disappointed.

If we are racing on a race track and im being held back by the police to give other racers an unfair advantage then it is corrupt. 

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

I really think GB is a good team. And uncharacteristic having so many turnovers. 

But im upset with refs league wide. When games are decided by stuff like this, where the rules are being kept but the game is still being manipulated. 

What kind of pedestal are you on if you're never allowed to be called out? 

I respect you as a fellow football fan. You have been a genuine person. 

I actually thought before yesterday the officiating has been better than last year. I mean a lot better, last year was terrible.

2 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

If we are racing on a race track and im being held back by the police to give other racers an unfair advantage then it is corrupt. 

Black flag penalty - it has been deemed that I broke the rules on the track, I cheated. So I am being held back.  But I feel like everyone else was doing the same thing and not getting called for it.  A little closer analogy.

I agree that I think those calls all strung together were suspect.  But I also remember seeing other replays where I even said "we were holding there and they missed it."  

There was a blatant defensive hands to the face on one of those late 4th down holding calls. Nothing. The Packers received more than their fair share of penalties that fell their way last evening. I was disappointed to see the ending seem so out of control. and I still put some blame on Frank for not calling a timeout, making sure his team was straight and giving them a chance to breathe before going out and making the same mistake over and over again. It almost cost this team dearly last night. 

I truly believe the refs are told by the league to "let/help" the game to be as competitive as possible.
Give the ball back to Green Bay was in the best interest of entertainment and the NFL.

If you look at it, I'll see that happens almost every game, not particularly against any team.

4 minutes ago, gspdx said:

Black flag penalty - it has been deemed that I broke the rules on the track, I cheated. So I am being held back.  But I feel like everyone else was doing the same thing and not getting called for it.  A little closer analogy.

I agree that I think those calls all strung together were suspect.  But I also remember seeing other replays where I even said "we were holding there and they missed it."  

I would also be upset if another team was getting screwed by the refs. If this say, happened to the titans, I would feel the same way. 

For years refs have been playing favorites on the field. When millions of dollars are at stake, or say, maybe you make 50k from 4 hours of work with maybe just a few suspect calls. 

Money talks. Yet we all act like it does not, and those who are at the highest stages have the most integrity. 

This isnt about having a pitty party for the Colts to me. It is a league wide issue. I hate the saints and even i was upset about a lack of pass int being flagged. 

The Colts won in the end. Glad to see them overcome the odds. That doesn't mean I won't call the refs out when it looks like they're playing favorites. 

5 minutes ago, gspdx said:

@NannyMcafee  Now if I learn that there really was a plan to help GB win I might quit watching football.  If that is really the case it might as well be WWE and I wouldn't waste my time with a scripted reality show pretending to be a competition.

The NFL is behind closed doors. We can't pretend to know. John Lennon beat his wives... who would have known? 

Just now, NannyMcafee said:

The NFL is behind closed doors. We can't pretend to know. John Lennon beat his wives... who would have known? 

I hear ya.  And I also have wondered about officiating for years.  I did quit watching the NBA for a similar reason.  

And the NFL is the owners.  I really doubt an owner who's team is constantly on the receiving end of "the plan" to have certain teams win would stand for it.  And I think you are right to say we can't pretend to know.  We just can't say either way.

6 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I hear ya.  And I also have wondered about officiating for years.  I did quit watching the NBA for a similar reason.  

And the NFL is the owners.  I really doubt an owner who's team is constantly on the receiving end of "the plan" to have certain teams win would stand for it.  And I think you are right to say we can't pretend to know.  We just can't say either way.

I could be way off base in what is an assumption. But when I see Buckner being held consistently and not 1 call... 

The good teams overcome the odds right? I was really impressed with the Colts resolve. 

And to be clear I dont think the FO or players are in on anything. Teams want to win. 

1 minute ago, NannyMcafee said:

I could be way off base in what is an assumption. But when I see Buckner being held consistently and not 1 call... 

The good teams overcome the odds right? I was really impressed with the Colts resolve. 

Agreed.  with both statements.

17 hours ago, StatesmanN said:

Now imo let me just say that every call they made for holding on the Colts were actual holds.  I didn't see any calls that were not 'technically' holding.

Can those exact same calls be made on almost every play in the NFL?

Yes.

So I thought the refs really got ticky tak there at the end.  Were they trying to help the Packers win?  Not imo but I am sure some will think so.

To me the Colts coaching staff really should have stressed in the first half to NOT GRAB because the refs were already calling things tight then.

And don't even get me started on the 2 incomplete passes inside of 2 minutes.

Run the clock.  Giving them even more free timeouts was just bad coaching.

That game was all kinds of funky near the end...felt very contrived in some ways. I remember in the ARI/SEA game on TNFL...when SEA had a 4 point lead late and were in the RZ looking to basically put the game away. Three ridiculous playcalls later...they kicked a FG to only go up and ARI had a chance to tie. Had some of the same vibes yesterday.

However...none of the holding calls looked like bad calls. I think it just comes to down IF they want to enforce it. This game just shows that the Colts very much are a team that holds...because most good OLs are. It will likely vary from crew to crew...but I just hope this isn't something that refs are going to suddenly start calling.

Right after all those holding calls on the Colts, the Packers got away with a huge hold in the endzone on Rodgers's bomb to MVS.

Should have been a safety and pretty much game over.  This inconsistency is why people are upset.  Even non-Colts fans around the country have been asking questions today.  It's fishy as hell to have so many flags in a row like that with the game on the line.

2 hours ago, gspdx said:

It's not like that at all.

It's like a police officer clocking one car going 70 on a 65, pulling him over, and giving him a ticket.

Then he repositions himself, clocks the next car going 70 on a 65, then completely ignores it.

And then have that happen 5 more times.

That's what happened yesterday.

2 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

It's not like that at all.

It's like a police officer clocking one car going 70 on a 65, pulling him over, and giving him a ticket.

Then he repositions himself, clocks the next car going 70 on a 65, then completely ignores it.

And then have that happen 5 more times.

That's what happened yesterday.

But you were still speeding.  Regardless of if others were and whether they were ticketed.  I'm not saying that would be right, but it still isn't proof of a conspiracy even though it really looks suspect.

And I agree it looks suspect but I would need evidence of a conspiracy, not just the "they were doing it too" argument.

Archived