Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Holding Calls. The right calls?

StatesmanN

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I mean they were calling them all game. It does seem odd when they called them on every play at the end, and I was cussing the refs too, but all the replays showed a Colt holding. The TD run by JT was definitely a direct result of Pascal holding.

I don’t hear anyone mentioning the Aaron Jones face mask on the drive where GB tied it up with a FG...those 15 yards could have helped them punch it in. 

All I’m saying is it’s hard to complain about the holding calls and conspiracy when there were definitely other ways they could have helped GB win. 

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

I mean they were calling them all game. It does seem odd when they called them on every play at the end, and I was cussing the refs too, but all the replays showed a Colt holding. The TD run by JT was definitely a direct result of Pascal holding.

I don’t hear anyone mentioning the Aaron Jones face mask on the drive where GB tied it up with a FG...those 15 yards could have helped them punch it in. 

All I’m saying is it’s hard to complain about the holding calls and conspiracy when there were definitely other ways they could have helped GB win. 

Except they didn’t call it the same way all game.  Literally the next drive the Packers tackled a Colts defender about to sack Rodgers and no flag.  There were some really bad hold there (the one by Pittman stands out) that you have to flag but most of those were the you can call that every play and officials don’t because this is what happens if you do and no one wants to watch a game like that.

Did the officials miss the face mask?  Yes.  Depending on who you ask they also gave them a huge PI before halftime.  Officials do blow calls I won’t argue that but calling a game on one drive and differently than you did the rest of the game isn’t acceptable.  Yea they were being tight with holding all day but I see the kinds of “holds” the Colts were doing on that drive just about every snap of every game includes this one that arent called.  

I also take issue with them not blowing the incomplete pass by Rivers dead on the field and letting it get to replay.  I know they are told to do that on close plays but that wasn’t close and you shouldn’t depend on replay for obvious calls like that.  I’ve seen too many odd things happen in replay where they start looking at it like well can we see it the other way rather than go with obvious call,  see the “fumble” in the Ravens game for example.  

This crew was bad.  Do I think they were out to get the Colts?  No.  Do I think they had a bad day at the office no different from when players have a bad day?  Yes.

18 minutes ago, gspdx said:

But you were still speeding.  Regardless of if others were and whether they were ticketed.  I'm not saying that would be right, but it still isn't proof of a conspiracy even though it really looks suspect.

And I agree it looks suspect but I would need evidence of a conspiracy, not just the "they were doing it too" argument.

Oh, I wasn't arguing there is a conspiracy.  I don't believe that.  Just horrible, inconsistent officiating.

3 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

Except they didn’t call it the same way all game.  Literally the next drive the Packers tackled a Colts defender about to sack Rodgers and no flag.  There were some really bad hold there (the one by Pittman stands out) that you have to flag but most of those were the you can call that every play and officials don’t because this is what happens if you do and no one wants to watch a game like that.

Did the officials miss the face mask?  Yes.  Depending on who you ask they also gave them a huge PI before halftime.  Officials do blow calls I won’t argue that but calling a game on one drive and differently than you did the rest of the game isn’t acceptable.  Yea they were being tight with holding all day but I see the kinds of “holds” the Colts were doing on that drive just about every snap of every game includes this one that arent called.  

I also take issue with them not blowing the incomplete pass by Rivers dead on the field and letting it get to replay.  I know they are told to do that on close plays but that wasn’t close and you shouldn’t depend on replay for obvious calls like that.  I’ve seen too many odd things happen in replay where they start looking at it like well can we see it the other way rather than go with obvious call,  see the “fumble” in the Ravens game for example.  

This crew was bad.  Do I think they were out to get the Colts?  No.  Do I think they had a bad day at the office no different from when players have a bad day?  Yes.

I don’t disagree with any of that. I was just saying if they were trying to give the  Packers the game then the obvious face mask should have been called too. Definitely some bad officiating. Conspiracy, nah. 

16 minutes ago, Btown_Colt said:

I don’t disagree with any of that. I was just saying if they were trying to give the  Packers the game then the obvious face mask should have been called too. Definitely some bad officiating. Conspiracy, nah. 

I agree it wasn’t a conspiracy.  I will say there are some teams in the NFL to see more flags than not go their way and the Packers are one of them.  Do I think that’s a conspiracy?  No, like someone else said probably an unconscious bias towards them nothing intentional.  

It's hard to say. I would guess if there was a conspiracy the officials would want Packers to lose because it would help their boy Brady's seeding if they were to catch saints?

The replays showed that the colts were indeed holding, but then again the saying is the refs can call holding on every play if they want to. And at the end they indeed did that. 

By the way, it was also bad coaching and bad execution. The refs obviously decided to over-officiate holding against the Colts on those two drives. We needed a timeout, huddle, something, to get the offense to settle down and avoid those penalties. They prevented us from being able to run out the clock, or even run it down to any significant degree. The Colts needed to adjust to the refs to execute their gameplan. They didn't, until the OT possession.

It's now the day after. I THINK I have a better perspective on this now.

First, I think most of us on this forum agree that the calls that were made against the Colts O-line were actual holding penalties. In other words, they were the correct calls. Some may have been tick-tacky, but holding nonetheless.

Secondly, I went back and watched several of Green Bays drives and here is what I saw:

What I expected to see: Holding on every play. (What many of us on this forum claim is that there is holding on every play and it's really up to the referees to decide whether they will call holding or not).

What I actually Saw: Very few plays where an argument could have been made for a holding call against Green Bay. Either their O-line played incredibly soundly, or our defensive lineman did not create enough pressure to force a situation where their O-line had to hold. 

Missed Calls: IMO, there were two blatantly missed holding calls, which the Packers should have been flagged for. As mentioned earlier in this thread, during the bomb to Scantling from the end zone, (scroll up for the photo evidence), and another one where our defender was tackled right at the feet of Rogers so that he can get a pass off.

Overall, like everyone here thinks, the officiating was horrible and definitely one-sided, but not as bad as I had initially thought.

I'm a Bears fan who created an account to chime in on this exact topic. This routinely happens in Packers games, weird phantom holding calls and especially the kind of gift TD that was awarded before half. The standard is never applied both ways.

Anyone who thinks the Colts were being intentionally screwed just joins an already crowded company of fans who feel like there are rules for the Packers, and then there are rules for everyone else. At least be happy the Colts managed to win despite it.

19 minutes ago, CircleInterchange said:

I'm a Bears fan who created an account to chime in on this exact topic. This routinely happens in Packers games, weird phantom holding calls and especially the kind of gift TD that was awarded before half. The standard is never applied both ways.

Anyone who thinks the Colts were being intentionally screwed just joins an already crowded company of fans who feel like there are rules for the Packers, and then there are rules for everyone else. At least be happy the Colts managed to win despite it.

I wrote this yesterday in the game thread. I wrote that fans of NFC North teams see this happen all the time. 

1 minute ago, NFLfan said:

I wrote this yesterday in the game thread. I wrote that fans of NFC North teams see this happen all the time. 

Never quite to the same obsessive extent as that last drive though. That was really something new. I thought the Jags game the week before was the worst I've seen in a while but they really outdid themselves in Indy.

1 minute ago, CircleInterchange said:

Never quite to the same obsessive extent as that last drive though. That was really something new. I thought the Jags game the week before was the worst I've seen in a while but they really outdid themselves in Indy.

What happened yesterday was absurd. What made it even more infuriating was that when the Packers held some Colts defenders on the last drive in regulation, the refs kept the flags in their pockets. :facepalm:

Btw, welcome!

I think the huge issue is, the REFS didn't call it even both ways. GB got away with holding all day, that is the main issue. If REFS are going to call ticky tack holds on us then they need to do it to the opposition as well. I went back and looked at some of those holds and I seen 2 that we had that were real legit = Pascal and there was 1 on Glow that was obvious, Pascal definitely held so taking away the TD I was fine with. Most of them were tick tack though.

44 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

I don’t think it matters. We’re not going anywhere. I don’t see us getting past the Bucs or The Saints. Our defense is still awful and Our D line is awful. We can’t stop the run.

3 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

I don’t think it matters. We’re not going anywhere. I don’t see us getting past the Bucs or The Saints. Our defense is still awful and Our D line is awful. We can’t stop the run.

With Rodgers you always have a chance. IMO GB has as good a chance as anyone in the NFC reaching the SB. Seattle has the same problems on defense, Saints are without Brees, the Bucs are beatable as they just got smoked by the Saints.

5 minutes ago, Arodgers12 said:

The bad calls do matter. The Colts could have lost yesterday and it could have affected their playoff chances. 

The Packers can beat the Saints. The Saints are not as good as they were the last two years. They lost at home in the divisional round last year. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With Rodgers you always have a chance. IMO GB has as good a chance as anyone in the NFC reaching the SB. Seattle has the same problems on defense, Saints are without Brees, the Bucs are beatable as they just got smoked by the Saints.

I agree.

9 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The Bucs are one injury away from being ordinary 

11 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

The bad calls do matter. The Colts could have lost yesterday and it could have affected their playoff chances. 

The Packers can beat the Saints. The Saints are not as good as they were the last two years. They lost at home in the divisional round last year. 

I agree.

Look I didn’t agree with the calls either. We still were penalized 7 times and you guys 8 times. The holding calls were nonsense on you guys though. Be happy you won. Don’t worry we will be eliminated in the first playoff game. We play the Titans yet and that’s our toughest game left. We will lose that one.

11 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The Bucs are one injury away from being ordinary 

22 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

We won’t though. It will end like it always does with us choking in the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Great post, that is a safety and game over, clear hold.

And I would normally at least listen to the “you can’t call that in that situation” argument but not after they called an absurd number of holds the drive prior.  

I know we will never hear about it but if I am Irsay and Ballard I lit the league up today over this crew and I am showing them that picture along with the one of their tackle tackling the Colts end about to sack Rodgers on that same drive and demanding to know why those weren’t called but every holding call they could find was called against the Colts the drive prior.  

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

And I would normally at least listen to the “you can’t call that in that situation” argument but not after they called an absurd number of holds the drive prior.  

I know we will never hear about it but if I am Irsay and Ballard I lit the league up today over this crew and I am showing them that picture along with the one of their tackle tackling the Colts end about to sack Rodgers on that same drive and demanding to know why those weren’t called but every holding call they could find was called against the Colts the drive prior.  

I just want the obvious things to be called. You know the ones that have a ref between the camera and the players and you can see the ref looking right at the play? Yeah that one should get called. Lol 

9 hours ago, Arodgers12 said:

I am. I’m just saying We don’t have a chance against Seattle, LA Rams, Or the Saints. One of those three will represent the NFC in the Super Bowl.

Gotta say it.   If Green Bay was my team, I would be very happy about our chances.  Rodgers is having a great season.  Jones and Williams are rushing the ball very well.   Adams is a top notch WR.  While the defense isn't great, they are 13th in the NFL in passing yards given up and 13th in rushing yards given up.  They have already beat the Saints and now the Saints are without Brees.   Seattle has major defensive issues as they give up the most passing yards of any team in the NFL.  It's not even close.  They give up over 43 more passing yards per game than the next team ((Atlanta).  

Don't waste these years being a negative Nancy.   We have seen Colts fans on here come and go.   Some would always say stuff like - Yes this team is good, but we aren't going to win the Super Bowl.   I think it is just a way that some people try to lessen the disappointment when they do not win it all.  Chiefs, Steelers, Ravens, Titans, Colts, Bills, Raiders, Saints, Buccs, Seahawks, Packers, Rams, Cardinals and a few more teams will make the playoffs, but all but 1 fan base will be disappointed when their team loses.   

I prefer to enjoy the chance of it happening than to revel in the odds of it not happening.

On 11/22/2020 at 8:16 PM, AustinnKaine said:

You guys are kidding right? That was obviously a string of nit picky calls. The only one that I considered justified was Pittman. For those who are suggesting something is wrong with 56, or the OLIne coach, what do you say about the fact that we have allowed the least sacks? 

If the colts had this offensive line or something close, Luck would still be playing. As for the calls, there is no way one team can be called for that many holds during one series or drives when in fact there are holds going on on every play on both sides of the ball.

The officials picked a pivotal time in that game to crack down on the holding. 2 minutes later they ignore the colts being tackled in the endzone preventing Rodgers from being sacked and delivering a 48 yard reception. I believe this was done to lengthen the game to sell more commercial time. If it was the Colts that were down by 3, maybe they would get all the calls for the same purpose in mind. Which still sucks and erroids the integrity of the game it'self. We are lucky they didn't call that a fumble instead of a incomplete pass.

• Nadine changed the title to The Holding Calls. The right calls?

Archived