Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Blankenship redemption! SPT player of week. Also leads AFC in PB vote(Merge)

That was a huge kick by him but it is very disconcerting that he was short on the 50 yard field goal. We could’ve gone for a 54 yard try late but Reich opted not too. It all worked out tonight but I have to wonder if that is something coach is worried about

1 minute ago, indyagent17 said:

That was a huge kick by him but it is very disconcerting that he was short on the 50 yard field goal. We could’ve gone for a 54 yard try late but Reich opted not too. It all worked out tonight but I have to wonder if that is something coach is worried about

If you go for the 54 yarder & miss, you give Rodgers & the Packers pretty good field position, real late in the game.

I think Hot Rod missed the 50 yarder because he was more focused on his accuracy, and didn’t look to really drive the ball.  Kinda like when you focus so much on making the perfect golf swing, that you do in fact hit it straight but you leave it 10 feet short and miss the green... Be interesting to see how he adjusts on his next long one. I doubt it’ll be short from 50. 

11 hours ago, CR91 said:

Missing the 50 yarder earlier to come back with the game winner!!!!!

Listening to his post game interview...he is a faith based young man.  Glad he got his opportunity for redemption and was able to make the most of it. I like this kid. Nice to have another nerd on the squad since Andrew Luck is no longer here. Lol. 

• Like 2

I'm with most of you.  Accurate inside 45.  Past that, it's an adventure.  Doesn't seem to have that Justin Tucker sort of pop.  But so long as we KNOW what his range is.  Will probably likely cost you a game somewhere down the line where you either missed a long one or had to forego an attempt because you knew he couldn't get it there.  My sincere question is:  did he get all of that 50 yarder or did he miss the ball a little bit?  Any kicking experts here know?

• Like 1
11 hours ago, StatesmanN said:

Extremely accurate kicker.

Leg strength is somewhat lacking.  He doesn't have that pop when he hits the ball.

But that is something he can work on during the off season with certain strength exercises so I am guessing it will get better next year.

You nailed it!!! :) 

11 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am not going to lose my mind about a 50 yard miss (not that anyone is) but I’ve noticed how right down the middle he is on his kicks and a sight for sore eyes.

True. I took my eyes off his kick once I saw it was dead center thinking it was 10-7 only to turn around when the commentator mentioned the doink. It wasn't the Cody Parkey like double doink where it was heading towards the pole to begin with. 

The missed 50 yarder was unfortunate, especially for my fantasy team, but I was actually surprised he missed it. I didn’t think range was much of an issue with him. Maybe he just didn’t get all of it on that one. Either way, I like the kid and I’m glad he’s here. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, John Waylon said:

The missed 50 yarder was unfortunate, especially for my fantasy team, but I was actually surprised he missed it. I didn’t think range was much of an issue with him. Maybe he just didn’t get all of it on that one. Either way, I like the kid and I’m glad he’s here. 

Yea he didn't  get enough of  the ball

3 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

I'm with most of you.  Accurate inside 45.  Past that, it's an adventure.  Doesn't seem to have that Justin Tucker sort of pop.  But so long as we KNOW what his range is.  Will probably likely cost you a game somewhere down the line where you either missed a long one or had to forego an attempt because you knew he couldn't get it there.  My sincere question is:  did he get all of that 50 yarder or did he miss the ball a little bit?  Any kicking experts here know?

Not at all a kicking expert, but it sure looked like he didn't quite get it all.  The kick seemed to be spinning faster than most longer kicks do, indicating more of the energy of the kick went into rotational motion than translational.  If that's so, then perhaps he hit the ball a tad lower of center than normal.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

Rewatch Blank's reaction after nailing the game winner. Happy boy!

You know when he walked out I had no doubt he was going to nail the kick.  He’s been so down the middle this year and has rarely missed kicks it’s amazing how fast my faith in him has grown.  There are two kids I wanted badly coming out of college the past three years.  One was AJ Brown and everytime he plays I think gosh you should have been a Colt and the other was Hot Rod.

The missed 50 did scare me a bit at first, but upon looking at it again, I think he just miss hit it, not a matter of leg strength. The ball had terrible wobbly spin, which would mean he chunked it. Plus he hit the 43 with ease, that definitely still would have been good from 50+. But definitely did scare me lol.

I figured something went wrong with the way the ball left his foot and died at the crossbar on a kick Rodrigo should've easily cleared by 10-15 yards. What a way to bounce back though and kick your first game winner at home against Aaron Rodgers and the Green Bay Packers.

• w87r changed the title to Blankenship redemption! SPT player of week. Also leads AFC in PB vote(Merge)