Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Darius Leonard or Fred Warner who's better?

superrep1967

Aaron Rodgers said he thought Fred Warner was the best linebacker in the league. To me the answer is simple it's Darius Leonard but use your own opinion here's the numbers. By the way the maniac is highly motivated for this matchup as you can imagine. 

Here are the career numbers for Leonard and Warner, both of whom entered the NFL in 2018:

Leonard: 35 games played, 344 total tackles (23 for a loss) with 13.0 sacks, 15 quarterback hits, seven interceptions (one returned for a touchdown), 17 passes defensed, seven forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries

Warner: 42 games played, 321 total tackles (14 for a loss) with 3.0 sacks, 10 quarterback hits, three interceptions (one returned for a touchdown), 18 passes defensed, four forced fumbles and one fumble recovery

Leonard, the 2018 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, was named First-Team All-Pro in 2018, as well as selected Second-Team All-Pro and named to his first Pro Bowl in 2019. Warner, meanwhile, has no Pro Bowl or All-Pro selections.

I think the answer is obvious the numbers don't lie.  

15 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Aaron Rodgers said he thought Fred Warner was the best linebacker in the league. To me the answer is simple it's Darius Leonard but use your own opinion here's the numbers. By the way the maniac is highly motivated for this matchup as you can imagine. 

Here are the career numbers for Leonard and Warner, both of whom entered the NFL in 2018:

Leonard: 35 games played, 344 total tackles (23 for a loss) with 13.0 sacks, 15 quarterback hits, seven interceptions (one returned for a touchdown), 17 passes defensed, seven forced fumbles and three fumble recoveries

Warner: 42 games played, 321 total tackles (14 for a loss) with 3.0 sacks, 10 quarterback hits, three interceptions (one returned for a touchdown), 18 passes defensed, four forced fumbles and one fumble recovery

Leonard, the 2018 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, was named First-Team All-Pro in 2018, as well as selected Second-Team All-Pro and named to his first Pro Bowl in 2019. Warner, meanwhile, has no Pro Bowl or All-Pro selections.

I think the answer is obvious the numbers don't lie.  

He will be introduced to Darius Leonard this Sunday, multiple times.  

Leonard is the better of the two, but this thing has already gotten way dumber than it should have. It’s not like Warner is some kind of jabroni who can’t make plays. He’s a phenomenal linebacker in his own right, and he’s just rock-solid dependable. And Rodgers saying that he’s the best isn’t some kind of out of left field opinion that doesn’t hold any water. The case for it is there. 

50 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Leonard is the better of the two, but this thing has already gotten way dumber than it should have. It’s not like Warner is some kind of jabroni who can’t make plays. He’s a phenomenal linebacker in his own right, and he’s just rock-solid dependable. And Rodgers saying that he’s the best isn’t some kind of out of left field opinion that doesn’t hold any water. The case for it is there. 

Well Rodgers  never played Leonard  so there's  that

Fred Warner played in the SB last year, he's a little better known at this point, and Rodgers hasn't faced Leonard yet. 

To be clear, Warner is really, really good. He's probably a more physical player, better tackler, a little more explosive. Leonard has been more productive so far, and is really good in his own right. They'll both be fun to watch on Sunday. I'm glad we have Leonard, but I wouldn't mind having Warner. 

15 hours ago, Superman said:

Fred Warner played in the SB last year, he's a little better known at this point, and Rodgers hasn't faced Leonard yet. 

To be clear, Warner is really, really good. He's probably a more physical player, better tackler, a little more explosive. Leonard has been more productive so far, and is really good in his own right. They'll both be fun to watch on Sunday. I'm glad we have Leonard, but I wouldn't mind having Warner. 

For the first time in many years, I do believe our distinguished Mr Superman is sitting on the fence. Nice. 

15 hours ago, TheLegend87 said:

I don't know how he can label Fred Warner the best linebacker in the league when he hasn't faced Darius Leonard and others. I hope someone asks Rodgers who he thinks is the best linebacker in the league following the game on Sunday. I would love to hear his answer.

Rodgers called him 'possibly the best middle linebacker in the game.'  https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/aaron-rodgers-calls-fred-warner-possibly-best-nfl-middle-linebacker  Rodgers said this before the game and then after the game he was heard telling Warner he should be an all-pro during handshakes.  The 9ers crushed the Packers in the regular season and in the playoffs last year.  In a 37-8 victory in regular season, Warner had 11 tackles, 1 sack, 2 tackles for loss and a QB hit.  Warner is a very good LB, this year he is the best middle LB in pass coverage in the league and he has had tremendous games in 2 of the last 3 that he and Rodgers played against each other.  Rodgers is a vet and a smart one at that, he's not going to tell the press the day before a game against a team who destroyed GB last year 'Their middle linebacker is garbage and their defense is horrible.'  That said, Rodgers wasn't wrong, Warner is 'possibly' the best MLB in the NFL right now.  

Leonard typically doesn't play middle linebacker anyway.  He was in an interview with Mike Wells and said that he heard Rodgers say that and he is motivated to prove Rodgers wrong.  It's almost as though every time Leonard is interviewed he finds someway to talk about how he has a chip on his shoulder and how he found something new to motivate him, this is nothing new.  He's said since he entered the league he wants to be the best LB in the game and constantly talks about how he feels disrespected (e.g,. not making the probowl as a rookie).  

This kind of a waste of time to argue, as it is really a non-issue.  Leonard doesn't play the same role in Indy's D that Warner does in SF's D anyway.  If we're talking about this year, Leonard has missed time and Warner has put up better numbers by staying healthy and on the field.  

I hope Leonard and the Colts' have a great game on Sunday and come out with a W.  All the debate/hype about who is the best in the league between two guys who play different positions/roles for their D means nothing to me.

1 minute ago, CurBeatElite said:

I hope Leonard and the Colts' have a great game on Sunday and come out with a W.  All the debate/hype about who is the best in the league between two guys who play different positions/roles for their D means nothing to me.

It doesn't mean anything to anyone else either. 

Why this is even an issue is beyond me. 

27 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It isn't but Leonard is better statistically and by the eye test. 

Not sure I agree on the eye test. Both are very good and it would be hard to say objectively.

Warner has a slight edge in PFF this year, but Leonard owns him the previous two.

Warner does play a tougher schedule IMO

43 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

It doesn't mean anything to anyone else either. 

Why this is even an issue is beyond me. 

Are you seriously questioning why fans are comparing a player from their team with a player from another team? That's kind of the the foundation of sports message boards...

2 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

For the first time in many years, I do believe our distinguished Mr Superman is sitting on the fence. Nice. 

I own stock in fence sitting, don't know what you're talking about LOL

49 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Not sure I agree on the eye test. Both are very good and it would be hard to say objectively.

Warner has a slight edge in PFF this year, but Leonard owns him the previous two.

Warner does play a tougher schedule IMO

Even if I wasn't a Colts fan, by my eye test I think Leonard is slightly better and statistic wise it isn't close. You are a stats guy and know this. The OP stated the stats, Leonard has more tackles and sacks and has played less games. 

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

Are you seriously questioning why fans are comparing a player from their team with a player from another team? That's kind of the the foundation of sports message boards...

Some people aren't into rating players or saying who is better than who. I personally love the stuff, I am list guy and like listing my all-time greats as you know even though it is subjective/opinion. You are right, that is what message boards and bar talk is about. 

30 minutes ago, Superman said:

The thing is it wasn't fans comparing. It was a comment made by Rogers that was taken out of context. 

Rogers never even said that Warner was better than Maniac. Rogers said Warner could possibly be the best, not he was the best. Take the Colts fandom out of it and it's not an issue. 

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

The thing is it wasn't fans comparing. It was a comment made by Rogers that was taken out of context. 

Rogers never even said that Warner was better than Maniac. Rogers said Warner could possibly be the best, not he was the best. Take the Colts fandom out of it and it's not an issue. 

This is true, Rodgers never actually said Warner was better. 

28 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Even if I wasn't a Colts fan, by my eye test I think Leonard is slightly better and statistic wise it isn't close. You are a stats guy and know this. The OP stated the stats, Leonard has more tackles and sacks and has played less games. 

Keep in mind Warner is a MIKE, Leonard is a WILL. Warner was seen as an OLB coming out of the draft, and said to move like a big safety. He was stronger and faster than Leonard. The fact he is doing so well in the middle is pretty impressive. 

As far as stats.

Warner actually has more Ts, but his Ts/Snap is a fraction lower.

Warner has .13 Ts/Snap. Leonard .16 Ts/Snap. Not a big gap. And SF plays better comp.

Warner also has 2 INTs while Leonard has zero. IMO, he's simply better in coverage.

Both are pretty darn good. It's not an easy straight forward "this guy is easily better" situation.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Keep in mind Warner is a MIKE, Leonard is a WILL. Warner was seen as an OLB coming out of the draft, and said to move like a big safety. He was stronger and faster than Leonard. The fact he is doing so well in the middle is pretty impressive. 

As far as stats.

Warner actually has more Ts, but his Ts/Snap is a fraction lower.

Warner has .13 Ts/Snap. Leonard .16 Ts/Snap. Not a big gap. And SF plays better comp.

Warner also has 2 INTs while Leonard has zero. IMO, he's simply better in coverage.

Both are pretty darn good. It's not an easy straight forward "this guy is easily better" situation.

I agree, I don't think "he is easily better", Warner is very good and plays in a better division but IMO I think Leonard is better. I guess like anything it is subjective.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree, I don't think "he is easily better", Warner is very good and plays in a better division but IMO I think Leonard is better. I guess like anything it is subjective.

The one thing that is not debatable is both teams they play for are glad they have them on their roster. 

30 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Let's just hope Leonard INTs AR, and knocks him in the dirt a couple times. Then maybe AR will have a new outlook. 

1 minute ago, EastStreet said:

Let's just hope Leonard INTs AR, and knocks him in the dirt a couple times. Then maybe AR will have a new outlook. 

Tomorrow will be a tough game, maybe our toughest of the year as far as facing an offense. If we lose I won't be surprised or overly disappointed but I still hate losing. I do think we will sweep Tennessee anyway so that will keep us in the drivers seat regardless of what happens tomorrow.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Tomorrow will be a tough game, maybe our toughest of the year as far as facing an offense. If we lose I won't be surprised or overly disappointed but I still hate losing. I do think we will sweep Tennessee anyway so that will keep us in the drivers seat regardless of what happens tomorrow.

IF, and it's a big IF... If Reich let's Rivers be Rivers from the start of the game, Indy could win big if GBs WRs are truly limited. 

Conversely, if Reich tries to pound the rock up the gut stubbornly and it doesn't work, I could see us down big lol. I just hope their deep WRs are limited because we're very untested deep.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah, the Titans game was a must-win. We needed that game for many reasons. I expect to lose this game and am hoping for great individual performances from a lot of players. Winning would be the cherry on top, but losing wouldn't be the end of the world Vs the Packers as I think we can survive a loss Vs them with the rest of our schedule the way it is and our current record.

Just now, EastStreet said:

IF, and it's a big IF... If Reich let's Rivers be Rivers from the start of the game, Indy could win big if GBs WRs are truly limited. 

Conversely, if Reich tries to pound the rock up the gut stubbornly and it doesn't work, I could see us down big lol. I just hope their deep WRs are limited because we're very untested deep.

If we win this game, it would be a huge boost standings wise and probably give us breathing room. I don't see Tennessee beating Baltimore. I love it when Rivers goes hurry up and he throws quick accurate short routes. I would love to see Taylor run outside more as well in hurry up on pitches, etc..

1 minute ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Yeah, the Titans game was a must-win. We needed that game for many reasons. I expect to lose this game and am hoping for great individual performances from a lot of players. Winning would be the cherry on top, but losing wouldn't be the end of the world Vs the Packers as I think we can survive a loss Vs them with the rest of our schedule the way it is and our current record.

Yeah if we just win our division games we should be good, sweeping Tennessee and a sweep over Houston gives us 9 wins right there and we should beat the Jags 2nd time around, that is 10 without any other wins. That win at Tennessee was gigantic/huge/big whatever needs to be said lmao .

8 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Had we lost that game at Tennessee, nfl.com had our chances of winning the division at 25%, now it is at 55%. BIG swing lmao 

18 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we win this game, it would be a huge boost standings wise and probably give us breathing room. I don't see Tennessee beating Baltimore. I love it when Rivers goes hurry up and he throws quick accurate short routes. I would love to see Taylor run outside more as well in hurry up on pitches, etc..

I can see TN beating Balt. We should have beat Baltimore. It's a good match up for TN, and good one for Balt. Should be tough for both. 

I love PR in the hurry up. We should use it every game here on out. And yes, Taylor more outside on end/edge runs please. The kid needs a variety of carries, and not just between the Ts on predictable down and distance. 

42 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I can see TN beating Balt. We should have beat Baltimore. It's a good match up for TN, and good one for Balt. Should be tough for both. 

I love PR in the hurry up. We should use it every game here on out. And yes, Taylor more outside on end/edge runs please. The kid needs a variety of carries, and not just between the Ts on predictable down and distance. 

Baltimore has the revenge factor going for them because of what happened in last years playoffs. I also think Baltimore is the better team. Could Tennessee win, of course but I don't see it here. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Baltimore has the revenge factor going for them because of what happened in last years playoffs. I also think Baltimore is the better team. Could Tennessee win, of course but I don't see it here. 

I think Balt wins, but only because it's in Baltimore. I can see it going either way though. 

Archived