Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Early Free Agency wish list - Who else comes to mind?

Early Look 2021 Free Agency Targets

Going into FA based on assumption will have ~40m of salary cap to play with. 

First things first we need to follow-up with Castonzo and see where he is on resuming retirement talks.  Under the impression if Castonzo does retire we will get back an additional 16m in cap savings.  The only player equal or better than Castonzo who is going to be a FA in 2021 to consider imo is 49ers LT Trent Williams.  The 49ers are probably in a better NFL draft position than we are to find a replacement LT such as LT Christian Darrisaw (Virginia Tech).  Williams was scheduled to make 14.5m this year but the 49ers reworked his contract.  More interesting part of the reworked deal is that the 49ers can NOT place a franchise tag on Williams.  Both Castonzo and Williams are close in age but do think Williams is the better player of the two.  Opening bid for Williams can see 15m/year based on how well Williams has played this season.  Now if all things equal being said if the Colts do not pursue this option and a player like Darrisaw is still on the board around 17th pick with the 49ers on the board I would not hesitate to trade up in the Round 1 and go after Darrisaw as Castonzo’s future replacement.

Next big acquisition in FA is also an offensive player between wide receivers Kenny Golladay or JuJu Smith-Schuster.  Both Lions and Steelers are heading into 2021 in financial problems.  Personally, I prefer Golladay over Juju but both should command around 18m/year. 

On defense looking to add some veteran players as backups along our defensive line.  With the remaining cap space available.

·         Chiefs LDT Mike Pennel ~850k

·         Jaguars LDT Abry Jones ~1.25m

·         Panthers RFA RDE Efe Obada ~4m*

* Obada went undrafted so can’t see the Panthers placing a 1st or 2nd Round tender on him.  Panthers’ Club is also in financial troubles to sign key starters as is and as such cannot see them matching any offer sheet.

Right now as for the 2021 NFL draft my top two candidates are LT Christian Darrisaw (Virginia Tech) and RDE Rashad Weaver (Pittsburgh).

It’s my understanding we may have closer to $100 mill to spend.   At least I thought that was the early word PRE-Covid.

Not sure how a season of almost no attendance impacts that but you’d think it had to be significant.   40%?   More?  

Even so, I think whatever the number is, we have either the most to spend, or among the most. 

Anyone have info on this?   

I had my thoughts about the offseason a few days ago. 

Was thinking the same with the LT spot. If Castonzo keeps on playing, maybe draft a OT and let him learn for a year. If AC retieres, I would prefer Bakhtiari to sign in FA. He's 4 years younger than Williams, so you wouldn't have to think about that position in 2022 again. 

For WR it would be great to get a younger speedy guy like TY to stretch the field. 

Another position to consider in FA (as depth or upgrade) should be CB I think. 

And than, there is still the question about the QB position.

I could see Rivers for one more year, but I don't think it would be beneficial for the long haul. But if we can somehow get a good qb in the 1st round of the draft, it would be great for the rookie to learn for a year behind Rivers. If not.... I have no clue. :scratch:

7 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

It’s my understanding we may have closer to $100 mill to spend.   At least I thought that was the early word PRE-Covid.

Not sure how a season of almost no attendance impacts that but you’d think it had to be significant.   40%?   More?  

Even so, I think whatever the number is, we have either the most to spend, or among the most. 

I've read that Indy should have somewhere around 70 mil in cap space, 3rd most in the NFL. 

I think the reduction in cap space will force teams to try and trade players they would normally keep in an attempt to get inside the new cap numbers.  If that fails I expect more players being released for the same reasons.  Starting off with the 3rd most cap space puts us in an enviable position to take advantage of this situation.  I think Ballard is the perfect GM to have running the Colts when things open up after this season.  If Ballard wants to plug a hole or two with a veteran this offseason looks like the ideal time to do it.  We shall see.  

3 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think the reduction in cap space will force teams to try and trade players they would normally keep in an attempt to get inside the new cap numbers.  If that fails I expect more players being released for the same reasons.  Starting off with the 3rd most cap space puts us in an enviable position to take advantage of this situation.  I think Ballard is the perfect GM to have running the Colts when things open up after this season.  If Ballard wants to plug a hole or two with a veteran this offseason looks like the ideal time to do it.  We shall see.  

That is why I said let's wait and see who becomes available. We can all have an opinion on who we want but in reality it all depends on exactly who does become available and at what price. 

Looking at our roster it's easy to say we need x player at x spot but IMO Ballard will be looking at all the spots. 

I do believe Ballard is always looking to improve whenever and where ever he can. 

Give me Hunter Henry as our big FA.

Godwin and Allen Robinson would be other top targets on offense.

Mackenzie Alexander and Dalvin Tomlinson would be nice pick ups if we can't resign Rhodes and/or Grover Stewart.

Von Miller is a possibility as he will likely be cut.

8 hours ago, Colts1324 said:

Give me Hunter Henry as our big FA.

Godwin and Allen Robinson would be other top targets on offense.

Mackenzie Alexander and Dalvin Tomlinson would be nice pick ups if we can't resign Rhodes and/or Grover Stewart.

Von Miller is a possibility as he will likely be cut.

Just read on ESPN that Jarvis Landry is high on their list as a player who could be a cap casualty.  Sounds good to me.  

On 11/20/2020 at 5:09 AM, NewColtsFan said:

Overthecap has us at 75 mil in cap space but we've got some big names that we will have to consider re-signing.  

If we re-sign Rivers for example for the same contract as this year that is 25 mil of it and takes us down to 50 mil in cap space.

Then you have to consider Justin Houston, Denico Autry, Xavier Rhodes, Grover Stewart and Anthony Walker . . . all major contributors to this defense that I don't think can be easily replaced.  

We probably are not going to have the space to be very active in free agency.  Maybe one good signing.  

A FA wide receiver would be a great pickup for the Colts. They really need an injection of experienced talent into that position, especially since I don't believe TY will be back next year. I hope I'm wrong, but I believe he's quickly headed down the slippery slope of retirement. Meaning I don't think he'll be in the league more than two more years or so given the way his body has broken down and his speed has diminished. And even then, he'll be no more than a #3 receiver. 

So..... if there is one FA out there who fits this description, I'm hoping the Colts jump on the guy. Allen Robinson would be my choice, personally. 

18 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

Overthecap has us at 75 mil in cap space but we've got some big names that we will have to consider re-signing.  

If we re-sign Rivers for example for the same contract as this year that is 25 mil of it and takes us down to 50 mil in cap space.

Then you have to consider Justin Houston, Denico Autry, Xavier Rhodes, Grover Stewart and Anthony Walker . . . all major contributors to this defense that I don't think can be easily replaced.  

We probably are not going to have the space to be very active in free agency.  Maybe one good signing.  

Originally was thinking we would be closer to 100 mil in cap space but sounds more like 75 mil.  Kind of why for this example only budgeted ~40 mil for FAs after calculating ~95 mil to resign players while leaving a minimum of 20 mil to sign draftees.  This should still allow discretionary cap space for the Club to do as needed short-term.

We have players of our own to sign first. Leonard is going to want to get paid, he will in the 16-18 per year range. X-Rhoads will get paid, maybe not as much but in the 10 per range. Stewart is a clog we need, Does Hilton have anything left? What about Justin Houston? And we're going to need some money to pay Nelson next year as well, I don't think we'd play games with him with a tag. Is Rivers worth another 25 million? If not could we trade for a decent QB? Jimmy G from San Fran or Stafford from Detroit might be available. A lot of issues on our own team to discuss first..

On 11/20/2020 at 7:01 AM, ColtsGermany said:

I had my thoughts about the offseason a few days ago. 

Was thinking the same with the LT spot. If Castonzo keeps on playing, maybe draft a OT and let him learn for a year. If AC retieres, I would prefer Bakhtiari to sign in FA. He's 4 years younger than Williams, so you wouldn't have to think about that position in 2022 again. 

I think that AC will play out his contract and he hasn’t sounded like he has been any different than his usual. I’d roll one last year with him but I’d draft his replacement 1 or 2 this upcoming draft. 

For WR it would be great to get a younger speedy guy like TY to stretch the field. 

Doesn’t the new guy Demichael Harris fit this role perfectly? He won’t be anywhere near TY’s price tag, young, knows our system and we know him. He isn’t as dynamic it sounds like as TY was in his prime but I think the team wants bigger wr’s with Pittman and Patmon drafted. 

Another position to consider in FA (as depth or upgrade) should be CB I think. 

for sure with the CB. Will Rock ever get to the level of a lock down cb like they hoped for or just a filler that does just enough? Also, what’s the thought on X Rhodes, what’s he gonna cost to Re-sign? I’d think plenty as he sounds like he has outplayed all the other cb’s on the team.  

And than, there is still the question about the QB position.

I could see Rivers for one more year, but I don't think it would be beneficial for the long haul. But if we can somehow get a good qb in the 1st round of the draft, it would be great for the rookie to learn for a year behind Rivers. If not.... I have no clue. :scratch:

this off-season will be telling for the future. They could Re-sign PR for sure. They could also draft a new guy after trading up in the first to get a guy. If they do that, Eason hasn’t progressed to where we’ve hoped and he will become a back up in the league. They could also trade for Darnold which could also indicate that Eason isn’t progressing well enough. If neither of those things happen this offseason, I think they feel Eason is going to be the guy but they are going the mentor route and will have him ready for late 2021 or the 2022 season. PR signed for one last season and Eason to assume the reigns after that year. I’d rather be able to use that first rd pick on a TE, DE, OT or CB than another QB. 

On 11/23/2020 at 10:52 AM, Valpo2004 said:

That’s a lot of defensive guys to resign. I’d guess that out of all these, Stewart is #1 priority, then Autry or Houston but doubt both with Rhodes being a close third pick. I just can’t see Walker back unless the other guys get priced out and we have cap to burn. Seeing what Turay has the rest of this season also helps guide the teams direction too. If he shows to be good, we won’t need to draft DE high or look into FA. These are the reasons I dislike using the one year deals, now we have a lot of people who has shown they deserve a roster spot and to be paid. Cant sign them all imho. 

Archived