Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

GMFB - Colts Coming Out Party

Smonroe

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

They're correct - it's a coming out party either way, win or lose.  National game.  After laying an egg against the Ravens, this game either gets the Colts respect amongst the talking heads, or ....

Thanks for posting this.

5 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

We did in the second half.  And most people just looked at the final score, which implied it wasn't that close.

I thought it was a pretty competitive game. Yeah I get that people just looked at the final score. I thought all and all we kept up with a pretty good team and probably should of won. We would have won if those two turnovers don’t happen. 

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I thought it was a pretty competitive game. Yeah I get that people just looked at the final score. I thought all and all we kept up with a pretty good team and probably should of won. We would have won if those two turnovers don’t happen. 

This is almost like saying we would have won if we scored more points than the opposing team.... I mean.... duh?

1 minute ago, Chucklez said:

This is almost like saying we would have won if we scored more points than the opposing team.... I mean.... duh?

My point was I thought we played very competitive football and showed we could beat a very good team. Just a couple bad breaks cost us the game. I felt pretty encouraged after that game despite the loss because we hung right there with them and showed we can compete with the better teams.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

It was competitive in the first half.  They owned us in the second half.  

I agree with what you said about offenses.  The NFL has changed so much that there will never be another dominant defense like the Ravens had 20 years ago.  A great offense and a good defense is what teams are striving for now.

And as important - time of possession.  Nice slow methodical drives that, even if they only result in a FG, wear out the defenses.  The Pack don't have the best D but they may have the best triplets in the league.  They're getting Lazard back too.

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

It was competitive in the first half.  They owned us in the second half.  

I dont think there's a team in the league the Colts cant beat IF they showed up in all 4 quarters on both sides of the ball. 

Problem is I dont think there's a team in the league that cant beat the Colts when they only show up for half of the game.

I hope this is the week they put it all together.

1 minute ago, lollygagger8 said:

Dude hit the nail on the head @ 2:36 

IMO, GMFB is the best sports show on TV.  They're entertaining and knowledgeable.  

I do think that if the Colts lose this game, the most you'll be hearing about them on national sports radio are one or two minute segments.  Even if they win the division.

6 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I dont think there's a team in the league the Colts cant beat IF they showed up in all 4 quarters on both sides of the ball. 

Problem is I dont think there's a team in the league that cant beat the Colts when they only show up for half of the game.

Can't argue with that.  Jax and Cincy proved that case.

22 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

This team could easily be 9-0 right now if not for some bonehead plays and flat out terrible 3rd quarter play. On the flip side, we could be 2-7/3-6 as well. Putting together four great quarters of play just is not this teams MO for whatever reason.

The Titans game was the only game where they did not let the game get away on offense or defense considerably in any half. 

You have to understand that even during the Manning/Dungy or Luck/Pagano days, we had several games that came down to the wire against good teams, where we would come after the half and put the game away in the 3rd or 4th quarters. That is just the NFL. For some reason, having that "elite QB" gave us the thoughts that everything would be alright because our guy "Peyton or Luck" would bring us back but the ebbs and flows of games across halves or quarters are not much different than what used to happen then.  We lived on the edge in 2009 winning so many close games to get to 14-0 till Polian pulled the rug from underneath the starters. All those 4th quarter comebacks of Peyton or Luck do not happen if they had played 3 stellar quarters, right? :thmup:

In other words, when your QB does not have your fan base buy in completely, and we do not have an identity established yet as an offensive or defensive team, the insecurity of fans, me included, makes us look at the same scenarios with different lenses. For a franchise lucky enough to have had 2 elite QBs for 20 years, this is all a new experience, IMO. :2c:

34 minutes ago, chad72 said:

The Titans game was the only game where they did not let the game get away on offense or defense considerably in any half. 

You have to understand that even during the Manning/Dungy or Luck/Pagano days, we had several games that came down to the wire against good teams, where we would come after the half and put the game away in the 3rd or 4th quarters. That is just the NFL. For some reason, having that "elite QB" gave us the thoughts that everything would be alright because our guy "Peyton or Luck" would bring us back but the ebbs and flows of games across halves or quarters are not much different than what used to happen then.  We lived on the edge in 2009 winning so many close games to get to 14-0 till Polian pulled the rug from underneath the starters. All those 4th quarter comebacks of Peyton or Luck do not happen if they had played 3 stellar quarters, right? :thmup:

In other words, when your QB does not have your fan base buy in completely, and we do not have an identity established yet as an offensive or defensive team, the insecurity of fans, me included, makes us look at the same scenarios with different lenses. For a franchise lucky enough to have had 2 elite QBs for 20 years, this is all a new experience, IMO. :2c:

I know. My whole point of that post was this team is easily capable of being 9-0 at the moment. Not talking about come from behind wins, etc. Talking about putting together four solid quarters of football. Not coming out in the 3rd quarter and putting up one yard of offense while having 14 points hung on us.

12 minutes ago, Indyfan4life said:

I know. My whole point of that post was this team is easily capable of being 9-0 at the moment. Not talking about come from behind wins, etc. Talking about putting together four solid quarters of football. Not coming out in the 3rd quarter and putting up one yard of offense while letting having 14 points hung on us.

The talking about "come from behind wins" point was brought up because in the NFL, not every team plays 4 good quarters of football, it always goes in ebbs and flows. I was giving examples from our own Colts history to say that it happens more than you realize, it is not unique to us or this year or our current team. The bottom line is that any team needs to be capable of making adjustments to correct quickly something that is wrong and turn around the tide, across quarters or across halves. Eberflus and the D seems to have done it better than the offense, from observing the first 9 games, that part I can agree with. In the current NFL, with enough limitations as to how you can play pass D, the offense has to provide enough support to the tune of about 24-27 points consistently, I feel.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Coulda woulda shoulda bottom line is they didn’t.

I predict the Colts will continue to not get respect regardless of whether they win or lose Sunday.

A large part of that is due to many in the sports media claiming that signing Rivers was a mistake this off-season.  They will continue to protect their opinions, even if proven wrong.  It's funny how other QBs have bad games that cost their teams a win, but nobody harps on it like they do with Rivers.  See Brady and Wilson as examples, both whose teams also have 3 losses.

Just keep winning as much as we can and take this division.  It doesn't matter what the talking heads think.

22 minutes ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

I predict the Colts will continue to not get respect regardless of whether they win or lose Sunday.

A large part of that is due to many in the sports media claiming that signing Rivers was a mistake this off-season.  They will continue to protect their opinions, even if proven wrong.  It's funny how other QBs have bad games that cost their teams a win, but nobody harps on it like they do with Rivers.  See Brady and Wilson as examples, both whose teams also have 3 losses.

Just keep winning as much as we can and take this division.  It doesn't matter what the talking heads think.

Totally agree with the bolded.  However, I think if we lose this game (along with the Ravens game) tells us a heck of a lot.

We had the Ravens when they were at their weakest with injuries and Covid.  Yes, we've had our own too.  But let's face it, they owned the second half of the game.  

Only time (especially the next two games) will tell if we're a contender or just another middle of the road team.

IF the Colts upset GB then follow that up with another win over the Titans the following week, sitting at 8-3, they’ll start to get some talking heads recognition.  

Imagine wins in the next two with the Titans losing to Baltimore this weekend, Colts at 8-3 and Titans at 6-5. Basically, the division can be the Colts’ with only 5 games to go. 

We’re potentially on the cusp here.  Go Colts!

Single players a lot of time make teams look good. How many games did Bob Sanders single handedly make us look like winners? Peyton? Marvin? Yes, picking great players is part of it, but as I have said so many times, its about development. Saints, Steelers, Patriots, etc....are very good at developing players. 

This defense is very young. The Colts, now built by CB, appears much improved at development. Watch out as this very young defense gets even more savvy. Not sure on the offensive side as injuries have been quite notable. 

21 minutes ago, Four2itus said:

Single players a lot of time make teams look good. How many games did Bob Sanders single handedly make us look like winners? Peyton? Marvin? Yes, picking great players is part of it, but as I have said so many times, its about development. Saints, Steelers, Patriots, etc....are very good at developing players. 

This defense is very young. The Colts, now built by CB, appears much improved at development. Watch out as this very young defense gets even more savvy. Not sure on the offensive side as injuries have been quite notable. 

The injuries on the offensive side hurt, but that's part of the game.  I just keep thinking that with a healthy Mack and Campbell, not to mention healthy TEs, this offense would be very dynamic.  But, like I said, it's part of the game.

The only issue I have with the defense is that Flus always seems to start the game out with a conservative approach.  And they seem to go right down the field on us.  @chad72 said it best a few posts ago.  Almost all games have ebbs and flows, and which ever team adjusts the best is usually the winner.  I'd like to see Flus be more aggressive, but it's a minor complaint.

47 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Totally agree with the bolded.  However, I think if we lose this game (along with the Ravens game) tells us a heck of a lot.

We had the Ravens when they were at their weakest with injuries and Covid.  Yes, we've had our own too.  But let's face it, they owned the second half of the game.  

Only time (especially the next two games) will tell if we're a contender or just another middle of the road team.

Kind of like how people wanted to crown the Browns and someone said let them play the Colts and the Steelers and beat them both and come back and talk to me. Then everyone realized Browns are not there yet.

This game vs an NFC contender in GB followed by playing a desperate TN team in all likelihood will clearly show us and the NFL where we stand.

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

We could easily be 9-0 if not for 2-3 very bad plays or decisions in our lost games.  That is a good sign, we can play with everybody, IMO.

However, it's pretty common for games in the NFL to be decided by just a handful of plays.  Very few teams can have turnovers or turnovers on downs which result in the other team scoring multiple times in 1 game and expect to win.  So while I'm pleased that so far we have shown we can play with anyone, what I'm more concerned about it that several of our turnovers have just been boneheaded decisions (either by Rivers throwing a bad INT or by Reich by making a bad call/decision to go for  it on 4th down).  I'll give Taylor's fumble which the Ravens ran back for a TD a pass here because he did make a good run and it was a solid play call, Baltimore just made a good play (they're the best in the league at causing fumbles) and got the ball loose before JT could get down.  While no turnover is good, that was simply a good play made by the opponent -- as opposed to Rivers' interception on our first drive of the second half which was a boneheaded decision and shouldn't have been attempted, on top of that it was a lazily thrown ball.  Rivers' INTs versus the Jags week 1 were not just the Jags making a good play, they were combinations of him making a poor decision along with a poor throw.

5 hours ago, Chucklez said:

Yea, I mean the TItans could say the same thing about last Thursday night -- if their kicker didn't shank a punt and then have a punt blocked for a TD the very next drive, they would've potentially been winning 17-13 well into the 3rd Q.  

I think what the initial point was getting at is that we haven't been blown out by anyone this year.  We've had chances to win, and could very well have won all 3 games we've lost.  And, TBH, aside from the NO game and the Jax game late last season we were only a few plays away (in many instances missed FGs) from winning games....  anyway, yea we have 3 losses on our record and aside from Pitts, every team in the league has at least 1 loss (KC has 1, everyone else has 2 or >).  Every team that has lost can point at at least 1 game and say it came down to just a handful of plays (e.g., KC wasn't in a bad position against Raiders until Mahommes threw a pick which the Raiders brought back to the KC 2 yard line).  

My main concern with our losses is that  all of them have involved very bad decisions and throws by Rivers at very bad/critical times in the game.  He's got a bit of a reputation for doing that throughout the course of his career.  I know they say 'you can't teach an old dog new tricks', but man if Reich could somehow just get it through Rivers' head to not have the 1-3 total mental lapses per game, I do believe this team can play with anyone in the league.

5 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

I think that can be said for just about every single team in the league.  There are some teams who may be able to get away with mistakes better than others (e.g., KC because they are so fast and can score so fast when they get going).  The Colts just have to make sure to avoid those few key plays where they shoot themselves in the foot, and I'm confident they can play with anyone.  The same can be said about most of the other teams in the league though (outside the Jets, who just stink).  

4 hours ago, DougDew said:

You could say that about a lot of teams.  Most NFL games are pretty close until the better team finds a way to win.  That pick BALT made was a great play by the defender and a great challenge by a smart coach.  That play was a big part of their win.

It was a very smart challenge by Harbaugh.  That said, I think it was more of a poor decision to throw that ball, coupled with the fact that it was lazily thrown and underthrown by Rivers that caused the INT rather than a great play.  It was just a stupid idea to throw that ball, and if you're gonna throw that ball you better throw it long and to a spot where only the WR has a chance to make a spectacular play on it... Rivers underthrew it and the only chance Johnson had on that play was to try to break it up.  That play early in the 2nd half and the fumble by JT which they returned for a TD late in the first half (which allowed Ravens to be in a close game to start the 2nd half) really hurt our momentum.  

2 hours ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

I agree to an extent here.  I will say, Brady's performance against the Saints is far worse than any of Rivers' performances this year.  However, Brady and Wilson both have SB rings and have played very clutch in many games on national TV.  Rivers will definitely be a HOFer at some point, no doubt about it, but the two things people try to argue against him are (1) He's never won the big game/has a history of making poor decisions late in big games (not that he hasn't made good decisions late in big games, people just don't remember them as much), and (2) it seems common for him to have some just total mental lapses and boneheaded plays (IMO aside from the INT which bounced off Mo Alie Cox's chest, almost all of his INTs this year are just poor decisions).  I'm pretty sure if Rivers' had a SB ring (or 6 of them like Brady) and Brady/Wilson had 0 and their major knocks were that they struggle in big games and have a history of throwing mindless interceptions, the media would have a different spin.

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

I am a bit reluctant to say 2 games really tell us who the Colts are.  I predict the Ravens beat the Titans this week.  No matter what happens this week, the outcome of the Titans-Colts game in 2 weeks will determine who is in the driver seat of AFC South with 4 games to play.  Ideally, we'll see some of our younger guys start performing better and getting them back (e.g., I expect Pittman to continue improving as the season goes on, Turay should be back soon which may be a huge boost to the DL, we may get Campbell and/or Dulin back).  We're a very young team with new key pieces at the two most important positions on O (QB-Rivers) and D (3Tech - Buckner).   If we get hot down the stretch and these guys continue to improve with more time together, I will not be at all shocked if we can make a splash in the playoffs.  

Every team in the league has had a weird season, us included.  The Ravens definitely did control the clock in the 2nd half... but I think we outplayed them in the 1st half about as equally as they outplayed us in the 2nd half.  If not for Taylor's fumble which they returned for a TD, it would've been 13-0 or 17-0 at halftime and Rivers' dumb INT in the 2nd half really didn't help.  Our D came up with a huge play forcing a fumble the first drive in the 2nd half, if Rivers didn't make a stupid and bad throw the first play we got the ball back, the game would've been a lot different.  We moved the ball very well on them until getting stuffed on 4th and short on our 3rd possession of the 2nd half.  

I think we showed enough in that Ravens game that we can play with them.  We also showed, like most teams in the league, we cannot afford to make multiple critical mistakes which result in giving the ball to the opponent and allowing them to score (e.g., we were on their 36 when we fumbled, at worst we likely get a FG out of that -- instead they take it to the house that is a 10 to 14 point turnaround on one play, then the INT early in the 2nd gave them very good field position which they turned into a TD and it happened on the first play we got the ball back after they had a pretty solid drive going for them, meaning our D had basically 0 time to recover and rest on the sideline).  

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

IF the Colts upset GB then follow that up with another win over the Titans the following week, sitting at 8-3, they’ll start to get some talking heads recognition.  

Imagine wins in the next two with the Titans losing to Baltimore this weekend, Colts at 8-3 and Titans at 6-5. Basically, the division can be the Colts’ with only 5 games to go. 

I'm not sure this will be too big of an upset if we win.  According to betMGM.com, the Colts are 2 point favorites.  I think it started with GB being 2.5 pt favorites, but it is in Indy and GB recently lost to Vikings (who we beat) and last week were very close to losing to Jax.  I personally think this is a toss-up game.

Ideally we win and TN loses. Regardless, we have to win against TN in 2 weeks when they come to Indy.  

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Kind of like how people wanted to crown the Browns and someone said let them play the Colts and the Steelers and beat them both and come back and talk to me. Then everyone realized Browns are not there yet.

This game vs an NFC contender in GB followed by playing a desperate TN team in all likelihood will clearly show us and the NFL where we stand.

We will be equally desperate against TN when we play them in 2 weeks.  No matter what happens this week, whoever wins the IND-TN game is going to be in first place in the AFC South.  

The Browns beat the Colts.  They lost to the Steelers (like every other team Pitt has faced).  They've also lost to the Raiders and the Ravens (who we also lost to).  The Raiders are better than the Jags.  The alarming thing about CLE is they got beat up bad by Balt and Pitt.  All of our loses were (IMO) due to self-inflicted wounds as much or more than getting 'beat up' by the other team.

Regardless, there are 6 teams in the AFC at 6-3 and NE is at 4-5.  I don't doubt any of them could make a splash in the playoffs if they got hot at the right time and had good fortune in terms of health.

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

It’s pretty hard to stop a good offense. I think the story in this game is whether we can score enough to keep up with the packers.  I think it’s more of a Rogers vrs Rivers then the GB offense against our defense.

I don't completely agree with this.  We don't need to stop the GB offense.  We need to slow them down.  If our offense can stay on the field and limit the GB possessions that will help,  but this alone will not stop GB from scoring.  I think our defense needs to limit the GB offense by 1 score below their average.  They average 31.6 PPG.  If the defense can keep 1 TD off their scoreboard then we have a realistic shot at winning this.

Not sure if we can win this game if GB is scoring in the 30s.

2 minutes ago, gspdx said:

I don't completely agree with this.  We don't need to stop the GB offense.  We need to slow them down.  If our offense can stay on the field and limit the GB possessions that will help,  but this alone will not stop GB from scoring.  I think our defense needs to limit the GB offense by 1 score below their average.  They average 31.6 PPG.  If the defense can keep 1 TD off their scoreboard then we have a realistic shot at winning this.

Not sure if we can win this game if GB is scoring in the 30s.

You have a good point here. That is kind of what I meant. Your not going to completely stop a offense that good. Just need to limit it.

5 hours ago, rockywoj said:

One game at a time my friend 

13 hours ago, DougDew said:

You could say that about a lot of teams.  Most NFL games are pretty close until the better team finds a way to win.  That pick BALT made was a great play by the defender and a great challenge by a smart coach.  That play was a big part of their win.

Also that FF on Taylor was a great play.  I don't feel JT was being careless with the rock. 

13 hours ago, DontEverGiveUp said:

Rivers has nothing to do with Colts not getting respect/media exposure. 

Colts have been mostly ignored pretty much for decades. Just try searching for talking heads to talk about them lol.

Two unrelated items:

Kay Adam's is cute.

I'm getting snacks for the game. :D

19 hours ago, Smonroe said:

They're correct - it's a coming out party either way, win or lose.  National game.  After laying an egg against the Ravens, this game either gets the Colts respect amongst the talking heads, or ....

Why would anyone care what the talking heads say? Either way it has no effect on wins and losses.

Archived