Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts waive DT Sheldon Day

Colts1324

5 minutes ago, Stephen said:

For turay

turay plays outside though i dont get it .   with lewis playing outside now also arent the colts thin at defensive tackle .   i though day and buckner were swapping and so was grover and stall worth swapping .   Now it looks like they are moving lewis back to defensive tackle .

1 minute ago, Superman said:

It's the strongest position on our roster. Not surprising that one of the guys at the bottom of the rotation is waived. If he clears waivers, he can be signed back to the PS, I believe.

He was a starting DT on last year's Super Bowl team. That's what makes this surprising to me.

My only annoyance here is that we sacrificed Rob Windsor's rookie contract to put him on the practice squad (I'm assuming he's still on there) so Day could be on the team while injured. Then we release him almost right after he gets healthy. If Ballard had so little confidence in him, he should of just released Day earlier and kept Windsor on the 53.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

My only annoyance here is that we sacrificed Rob Windsor's rookie contract to put him on the practice squad (I'm assuming he's still on there) so Day could be on the team while injured. Then we release him almost right after he gets healthy. If Ballard had so little confidence in him, he should of just released Day earlier and kept Windsor on the 53.

That's not how that works. Windsor is still on the PS, and the Colts or whatever team has his rights will have contractual control until after his fourth vested season. He'll be an exclusive rights FA, and then in Year 3 and 4, a restricted free agent. We still have four total years of control of Windsor, if we want it.

Also, Day was placed on IR so he wasn't taking a roster spot until he was activated in October. 

All this time, and Windsor hasn't been called up. I don't see any meaningful connection between the two.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Please see Superman’s post.   No need for you to be annoyed. 

1 hour ago, krunk said:

Shoot i had totally forgotten we even had Windsor.

IMO should activate him...I can't imagine the likes of Noah Togiai or Tremon Smith doing any more for the team.

At worst, he'll be another 6'4'' 290 lbs body at DT, or a DE in goal life formations. We might as well see what we have.

10 hours ago, coming on strong said:

turay plays outside though i dont get it .   with lewis playing outside now also arent the colts thin at defensive tackle .   i though day and buckner were swapping and so was grover and stall worth swapping .   Now it looks like they are moving lewis back to defensive tackle .

Actually they will kick Autry back inside. Autry played outside due to the fact that Turray was injured. With Turrays return they will move him inside and rotate, Buckner , Grover and Autry. I’m sure Lewis will get reps inside as well.

5 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

Actually they will kick Autry back inside. Autry played outside due to the fact that Turray was injured. With Turrays return they will move him inside and rotate, Buckner , Grover and Autry. I’m sure Lewis will get reps inside as well.

Autry is playing well outside, and has more snaps than Houston. Autry played more DE in 2018 and had 9 sacks for us. We moved him inside last year and his production fell way off. We moved him back to DE this year and he's leading us in sacks, and has almost twice than anyone else. He's also second in total pressures. 

In short, he's much better at DE than DT. I imagine he'll bump inside on obvious passing downs when they pull the NT, but doubt Turay occupies DE more than pass rush downs. Even then, it might be for Huston instead of Autry. Houston has dropped off a bit. And Autry has like twice the Ts as Houston, while Houston has been struggling vs the run.

18 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

He was a starting DT on last year's Super Bowl team. That's what makes this surprising to me.

He was only starting due to injury, so I wouldn't say him starting in the Super Bowl makes him any more worthy of a roster spot for us. He's been a career backup so far and was solid when called upon, but the body of work matters and he hasn't been anything special.

On 11/17/2020 at 7:15 PM, krunk said:

Shoot i had totally forgotten we even had Windsor.

We've got 3 talented, yet raw rookie defensive tackles on the PS.

Kameron Cline 

Chris Williams

Robert Windsor

Cline and Williams are productive small school projects that may or may not develop like a Grover Stewart.....

Windsor is just all motor that needed some edges polished a bit. With Autry moving on next season he would be the natural backup to Buckner.

On 11/17/2020 at 8:36 PM, rock8591 said:

IMO should activate him...I can't imagine the likes of Noah Togiai or Tremon Smith doing any more for the team.

At worst, he'll be another 6'4'' 290 lbs body at DT, or a DE in goal life formations. We might as well see what we have.

Not a bad idea. We have proven depth at TE so if Noah is snagged by another team we still have Hale Hentges and Farrod Green on the ps. No proven depth at corner on the PS though.

1 hour ago, Scott Pennock said:

We've got 3 talented, yet raw rookie defensive tackles on the PS.

Kameron Cline 

Chris Williams

Robert Windsor

Cline and Williams are productive small school projects that may or may not develop like a Grover Stewart.....

Windsor is just all motor that needed some edges polished a bit. With Autry moving on next season he would be the natural backup to Buckner.

Autry is moving on next season?   You think that’s a given now?   The decision has been made?

Or is that not what you meant to say? 

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Autry is moving on next season?   You think that’s a given now?   The decision has been made?

Or is that not what you meant to say? 

You really shouldn't read into peoples comments that are speculative in nature and think that they know it to be true. You are doing that to be argumentative......

I am speculating that age and contract desires will likely force Autry out and we go younger. That is the nature of sports, football more specifically.

Archived