Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard's approach on building Colts


Recommended Posts

On 11/17/2020 at 2:08 PM, Myles said:

Pittman looks very good.   


This is year 4 though...and Pittman is a rookie...not an established talent.
 

But Pittman could become a Pro Bowler and there would still have been struggles up to this point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ballard runs thing exactly how I want them run as a fan.....so for me?   A+

I don't. He certainly tried, but he failed miserably. We had a bad OL his entire five years as GM. After 2013, it never got better. Every player he drafted was a miss. We spent Day 2 picks on linemen,

I agree on the effect that Luck was taking a beating.  But it wasn't from a lack of trying.  He tried a lot.  Too bad that it wasn't successful. 2012 C Samson Satele G Mike McGlynn

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, shasta519 said:


This is year 4 though...and Pittman is a rookie...not an established talent.
 

But Pittman could become a Pro Bowler and there would still have been struggles up to this point.

That's to be expected when you have to build up nearly every position on the team with starters and depth.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

If anyone would have said the Colts would be 4th in the conference at the start of the year (after 10 games) you would have been laughed at big time in this forum. 

So IMO Ballard has done an excellent job at building this team. 

Naturally things could be better but it seems some fans just want to dwell on the negative instead of enjoying the positive. 

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

If anyone would have said the Colts would be 4th in the conference at the start of the year (after 10 games) you would have been laughed at big time in this forum. 

So IMO Ballard has done an excellent job at building this team. 

Naturally things could be better but it seems some fans just want to dwell on the negative instead of enjoying the positive. 

Speaking of that, does Frank get some of the credit for the success too...or does he perpetually hold us back each and every game?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Speaking of that, does Frank get some of the credit for the success too...or does he perpetually hold us back each and every game?

 

Personally, I haven't really been in love with any of the Colts headcoaches since I've been a fan since 95.  I don't see anything outstanding about anyone.  Dungy was successful with 2 franchises, but often got badly outcoached on GameDay IMO.  

 

Reich is potentially better than all of those guys.  Most of the coaches had Manning or Luck.  So it's hard to compare.  I think Reich really stands out because I thought Pagano was a really bad team leaderCEO, etc.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Nickster said:

 

Personally, I haven't really been in love with any of the Colts headcoaches since I've been a fan since 95.  I don't see anything outstanding about anyone.  Dungy was successful with 2 franchises, but often got badly outcoached on GameDay IMO.  

 

Reich is potentially better than all of those guys.  Most of the coaches had Manning or Luck.  So it's hard to compare.  I think Reich really stands out because I thought Pagano was a really bad team leaderCEO, etc.  

Dungy was overrated, badly.  For the year we had him, Bruce Arians was probably our best HC (acting HC) since 1995.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Dungy was overrated, badly.  For the year we had him, Bruce Arians was probably our best HC (acting HC) since 1995.

Wow yes I forgot about Arians.  loved that dude.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Speaking of that, does Frank get some of the credit for the success too...or does he perpetually hold us back each and every game?

Would it matter what I thought? 

One thing I will say is the only place I see where Frank is talked about like a dog is right here in this forum. 

For the most part all the announcers and sports reporters think very highly of him and think he is doing an excellent job. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DougDew said:

Speaking of that, does Frank get some of the credit for the success too...or does he perpetually hold us back each and every game?

I think he has to get some of the credit.  As a fan who watches every game (sometimes more than once), I see several flaws in him that I hopes he improves upon.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

If anyone would have said the Colts would be 4th in the conference at the start of the year (after 10 games) you would have been laughed at big time in this forum. 

So IMO Ballard has done an excellent job at building this team. 

Naturally things could be better but it seems some fans just want to dwell on the negative instead of enjoying the positive. 

Sadly people love to dwell on negatives. I try to stay positive regardless of outcome. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2020 at 9:21 PM, Two_pound said:

Ballard is using the "build the team aproach" because he doesn't have a "generational" qb and can't see one on the horizon(I don't see one either). The Colts had "generational qb's" from 1998-2018 and how many sb's did it get them?? 2 appearences with one win. Talking about gm's, Polian was great, but how could he not build a championship caliber defense???? Grigson didn't build anything. Ballard is building a dominant team that can compete and maybe even win a sb with just an average qb. Look at some of the qb's that have won. Mark Rypien won, Jeff Hostetler, Trent Dilfer, Phil Simms, Brad Johnson, Doug Williams, Joe Theisman, Joe Flacco. See, it's not immposible to get there and win even if your qb absolutely sucks, it's rare but it does happen. So Ballard is building a very good all around solid team, and what's more, this team is fun to watch! Go Colts

 

Yeah the ole we had 20 years of generational QB is a bit of strawman.  

 

Almost every other team we lost to in the playoffs had a generational QB too.  And just about every SB winner in that time had a generational Qb too.

 

Generational QBs win championships.  The only non generational/HOF type QBs to win championships in that time would be Foles, Flacco (who was outstanding, this was not the great defense of the other SB championship team, they won becasue Flacco played like a generational QB), Brad Johnson (He was also HOF level that year), and Dilfer.

 

Really in SB history you would only add 3 or 4 other guys who were non HOF type QBs to win a SB.  That would be maybe 8 non HOF QBs. in the 57 years of SB history.

 

The best way to win SB is to have a generational QB or have one that is capable of playing like one for a few games.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2020 at 3:17 AM, Boondoggle said:

Yeah and imagine being a QB and getting drafted by this team, compared to, say, the Jets.  It's night and day.  The way Ballard has built this roster you could actually have some hope of a high drafted rookie coming in and running some heavy play action in a conservative attack and winning some games.

 

But Eason showing enough for them to give him a shot would be the best case scenario.   $25M comes off the books at QB and could equal two or three FAs to plug holes and depth and make this roster better.  You get to use your draft to keep building with some BPA selections.  And with Eason you can install a nice play action approach and marry it to your run game to help the kid QB out.

 

So I'm hopeful but either way Ballard and the team at large is in a really good spot right now.

Yup. Not so worried. We've got options. Rivers is looking good lately. Eason could be the guy. FA situation might present other options. Mid round draft pick of a QB like Trask could be an option. I know some hate not having the "future" locked up, but things still look good despite the QB situation, and not many teams can say that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2020 at 8:02 AM, Myles said:

I think that is the key.    As long as the Colts do it for the right reasons.   I've seen teams trade up to get one of the top 3 QB's just because they needed a QB, not necessarily because they truly felt he could be a great QB.   I think an example would be when Arizona traded up to get Rosen.    

Yep. I don't want to reach. But I do think there might be a guy like Trask available mid-ish 1st that has a lot to like. Way too early to worry about it though. I'm good with Rivers at the moment. If he keeps looking good, I'm fine. I'm more enthused about him right now than play calling. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 1:10 PM, Myles said:

I think he has to get some of the credit.  As a fan who watches every game (sometimes more than once), I see several flaws in him that I hopes he improves upon.  


While I personally think Frank is still very much learning how to be a good head coach and has a ways to go, he stands out to me in his willingness to trust the players and be aggressive on 4th down... which is a complete 180 from when we had Andrew Luck under center and would punt at midfield on 4th and short under Pagano. 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:


While I personally think Frank is still very much learning how to be a good head coach and has a ways to go, he stands out to me in his willingness to trust the players and be aggressive on 4th down... which is a complete 180 from when we had Andrew Luck under center and would punt at midfield on 4th and short under Pagano. 

How many times did Luck ever punt?

 

Once?    Honestly, sincere question.   If you hadn’t mentioned it, I doubt I would’ve thought of it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 9:38 PM, EastStreet said:

Yep. I don't want to reach. But I do think there might be a guy like Trask available mid-ish 1st that has a lot to like. Way too early to worry about it though. I'm good with Rivers at the moment. If he keeps looking good, I'm fine. I'm more enthused about him right now than play calling. 

I would imagine Eason will be the backup in 21 to Rivers. Eason will start in 22 or somebody else will.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

How many times did Luck ever punt?

 

Once?    Honestly, sincere question.   If you hadn’t mentioned it, I doubt I would’ve thought of it. 

I may be wrong here, but I don’t think he meant plays where luck was the literal punter. I think he was saying when luck was playing for us our coaches would never go for it on 4th down and at midfield where today we go for it almost all the time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Trace Pyott said:

I may be wrong here, but I don’t think he meant plays where luck was the literal punter. I think he was saying when luck was playing for us our coaches would never go for it on 4th down and at midfield where today we go for it almost all the time. 

Thanks Trace.   You’re probably right.    Probably a mis-read by me. 
 

Honestly, the idea that Pagano never went for it on 4th down is false.   Over the years facts mean less and less.   Oh well....

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks Trace.   You’re probably right.    Probably a mis-read by me. 
 

Honestly, the idea that Pagano never went for it on 4th down is false.   Over the years facts mean less and less.   Oh well....

No prob man, lol it would of been kinda epic to see Andrew luck do punts now that you mention it.  The other team would have probably passed out from panic and anxiety had we lined luck up as punter lol.  Oh and about pagano going for it on 4th down. I dunno how often he did or didn’t do it compared to our current coaching staff but I do know of one particular occasion that he went for it that shall live in infamy with colts fans. So yah you are def right. No one can say that he never went for it on 4th , and if thEy do say that, it’s prob a defense mechanism to help them forget that god awful play.   Therapy and alcohol won’t even get rid of that horrible memory. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Thanks Trace.   You’re probably right.    Probably a mis-read by me. 
 

Honestly, the idea that Pagano never went for it on 4th down is false.   Over the years facts mean less and less.   Oh well....

Exactly the best 4th down play by our special team. haha

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

No prob man, lol it would of been kinda epic to see Andrew luck do punts now that you mention it.  The other team would have probably passed out from panic and anxiety had we lined luck up as punter lol.  Oh and about pagano going for it on 4th down. I dunno how often he did or didn’t do it compared to our current coaching staff but I do know of one particular occasion that he went for it that shall live in infamy with colts fans. So yah you are def right. No one can say that he never went for it on 4th , and if thEy do say that, it’s prob a defense mechanism to help them forget that god awful play.   Therapy and alcohol won’t even get rid of that horrible memory. 

There’s actually a small part of me that feels sorry for Pags over that play.

 

As I understand it, we were NOT supposed to snap the ball.  Just try to draw the Pats off-side.   Pagano could be seen saying the words “who told you to snap the ball?”   Especially since either the QB or the Center in that play was the backup because the starter got hurt in the game.   FUBAR!   (If you’ve seen Saving Private Ryan, you know the reference.). 
 

But yea, Reich is much MUCH more aggressive going for it on 4th down.   :thmup:

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/20/2020 at 7:06 AM, crazycolt1 said:

Naturally things could be better but it seems some fans just want to dwell on the negative instead of enjoying the positive. 

Fanatical

Obnoxious

Overreactive

Thespian

Belligerent

Abrasive

Laputan

Laughable

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Trace Pyott said:

I may be wrong here, but I don’t think he meant plays where luck was the literal punter. I think he was saying when luck was playing for us our coaches would never go for it on 4th down and at midfield where today we go for it almost all the time. 


You are correct. When one refers to a player “under center” it means QB. I don’t know about you but I’ve never seen a punter take a snap directly under center...  He’s just belittling my posting ever since I said he was condescending...

 

which to follow up 

below..

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Honestly, the idea that Pagano never went for it on 4th down is false.   Over the years facts mean less and less.   Oh well....


I never said he didn’t go for it on 4th down. But to say it’s false that he didn’t often punt on 4th and short when he had one of the top talents under center compared to Frank Reich is, well, interesting... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Honestly, the idea that Pagano never went for it on 4th down is false.   Over the years facts mean less and less.   Oh well....


i mean, honestly NCF, do you not see how this is by the very definition, condescending? You put a confused emoji on my post and then claim that i’m false when our current coach punted one time last game. Pagano notoriously punted the ball away at midfield with a generational qb on the roster (and historically bad defenses.) 

 

con·de·scend·ing

/ˌkändəˈsendiNG/

adjective

having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority.

 

 

that’s you my friend. Have a good day. Go Colts.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:


i mean, honestly NCF, do you not see how this is by the very definition, condescending? You put a confused emoji on my post and then claim that i’m false when our current coach punted one time last game. Pagano notoriously punted the ball away at midfield with a generational qb on the roster (and historically bad defenses.) 

 

con·de·scend·ing

/ˌkändəˈsendiNG/

adjective

having or showing a feeling of patronizing superiority.

 

 

that’s you my friend. Have a good day. Go Colts.

Seriously?   I’m honestly worried for your mental health.   I didn’t even notice WHO it was that wrote the comment.

 

Do yourself, do me, and do the entire website a big favor.   Put!  Me!  On!  IGNORE!!!!

 

Did I make myself clear enough?   I don’t want to hear from you.  Period! 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/19/2020 at 8:39 AM, ColtStrong2013 said:


Yes, I saw your joke. I responded to what I wanted to respond to. 
 

Not knocking heads. This was initiated on my comment about Grigsons interview by questioning me that he actually spoke of it because you had never seen it here... “Really? Provide a link.”

 

I provided the link/said you were being condescending which you took offense to. You then made a joke, I made a (condescending) joke back. It can be over now. 
 

Grigson sucked. He had a wonderful draft his first year followed by one horrible job after another. He treated people like garbage included the head coach. He was (ironically) condescending to players, such as Pat McAfee who he couldn’t understand why fans liked him and why ownership wouldn’t allow him to be cut or traded (thank God because he was just the #1 punter of the decade.) But to say he is a garbage human being is wrong. He made mistakes like any human being does. He owned up to them while continuing to support his record as a GM( which was a good record), and we’ve moved on as an organization to better management and better days ahead. And with that, I bid adieu to this thread and will see you on the next.

See me in the next thread?  
 

Dear God, I sure hope not.  Go away, for good. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Seriously?   I’m honestly worried for your mental health.   I didn’t even notice WHO it was that wrote the comment.

 

Do yourself, do me, and do the entire website a big favor.   Put!  Me!  On!  IGNORE!!!!

 

Did I make myself clear enough?   I don’t want to hear from you.  Period! 


lol... why don’t you go away? What makes you better than me or anyone else on here? You sure act like it. It’s amazing. 
 

you don’t want to hear from me? Don’t comment on my stuff from now on, ok? I won’t address you unless you post stupid crap on my posts, which is the only time I’ve ever addressed you.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...