Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mcnabb Says Rg3 Wont Fit In Washington

chad72

http://www.kffl.com/gnews.php?id=777999-redskins-donovan-mcnabb-thinks-robert-griffin-will-struggle

McNabb must be having Redskins' withdrawal or must hate Shanahan badly. He said they will not tailor the offense to Peyton if Peyton went there. Now, he is mouthing off about RG3. Enough McNabb, no more chunky soup commercials, I get it, you need a way to stay relevant!!!

McNabb doesn't have a leg to stand on after flopping in Minnesota, where they catered to him directly and he didn't look any better. It really goes to show you how good Andy Reid is with selecting QBs for his system and knowing when they're done. It also tends to suggest that all the negative rumors over the years about McNabb's work ethic and conditioning were true.

Sad, really, I always gave him the benefit of the doubt when he was an Eagle despite their status as a division rival. Now I know better.

Exactly who fits in Washington?

You might as well be asking "exactly who fills the void left by Peyton?"

Hopefully Robert Griffin III for us and Andrew Luck for you guys (or vice versa, crazier things have happened).

Maybe McNabb speaks from direct experience.

It isn't as if Shanahan has had a good record with QBs that are not named Elway.

I think I will wait and see how RG3 or Luck does in the NFL with Shanahan.

I've heard this and thoroughly debunked it about 250 times by now. Shanahan's good track record with QBs speaks for itself. He can identify talent and is great at coaching players up but he is a very demanding coach who won't get along well with guys who take a more lackadaisical approach to the game. That's why McNabb didn't make it a full season in DC and why Plummer eventually burned out and retired in Denver.

Go beyond the simple, ignorant premise that you've just presented and you'll see that some of the best performances by John Elway (much of whose early career success also came under Shanahan as an OC/QB coach), Steve Young, Jay Cutler, and Jake Plummer all came from working under the same single figure. Heck, even guys like Bubby Brister and Brian Griese looked pretty good under Shanahan's tutelage.

I've heard this and thoroughly debunked it about 250 times by now. Shanahan's good track record with QBs speaks for itself. He can identify talent and is great at coaching players up but he is a very demanding coach who won't get along well with guys who take a more lackadaisical approach to the game. That's why McNabb didn't make it a full season in DC and why Plummer eventually burned out and retired in Denver.

Go beyond the simple, ignorant premise that you've just presented and you'll see that some of the best performances by John Elway (much of whose early career success also came under Shanahan as an OC/QB coach), Steve Young, Jay Cutler, and Jake Plummer all came from working under the same single figure. Heck, even guys like Bubby Brister and Brian Griese looked pretty good under Shanahan's tutelage.

To be fair, we should also mention the other QBs under Shanahan, that you have failed to mention:

1. Donovan McNabb 5-8

2. John Beck 0-4

3. Rex Grossman 6-11

I think this article presents a more balanced picture of the story:

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/37616/both-sides-of-the-donovan-mcnabb-story

To be fair, we should also mention the other QBs under Shanahan, that you have failed to mention:

1. Donovan McNabb 5-8

2. John Beck 0-4

3. Rex Grossman 6-11

You have to take into account the circumstances surrounding the acquisition of those guys. The McNabb trade was a typical Shanahan gamble where he bet on his abilities as a coach to make use of McNabb's physical gifts over McNabb's reputation and lost. It was, however, a gamble that was made because we were unable to make a move to get Sam Bradford and the free agent pickings that year were non-existent because just about everyone was a RFA in the uncapped year. Besides which, McNabb was meant to be a two-to-three year stopgap at best.

Grossman was brought in because he was familiar with the system and Beck on a bit of a flier but neither were supposed to have ever seen so much playing time. Depending on which sources you believe, we had supposedly tried to work out a trade to move up in the 2011 draft to grab Cam Newton in the event that the Panthers passed on him and were strongly considering taking Locker at #10 until the Titans grabbed him at #8. Our fall back option was Dalton in the second round but Cinci grabbed him a few spots ahead of us as well. That left us with no one to draft and another weak free agent class in a year where free agency occurred so late in the offseason that it wasn't worth it to sign someone and rush them to learn the playbook.

The end result was that we were stuck with Grossman and Beck at QB. Both players got talked up a bit because that's what has to be done in that situation but the Shanahans supposedly had very little real confidence in them to win games.

I think this article presents a more balanced picture of the story:

http://espn.go.com/b...an-mcnabb-story

It certainly is balanced and it's not at all out of line with any of what I've said.

Better yet, let's look at the source interview, instead of some reporter's interpretation:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPF0rEuJdPA

I find that although McNabb sounds like he has sour grapes, I think he makes some valid points.

I really don't require any apologetic arguments absolving Shanahan about failed QBs under him. His record speaks for itself.

I find that although McNabb sounds like he has sour grapes, I think he makes some valid points.

I really don't require any apologetic arguments absolving Shanahan about failed QBs under him. His record speaks for itself.

I agree that his record speaks for itself. My goal is not to absolve him of that record, it is to provide context which is sorely lacking here. McNabb was a major strike against Shanahan, Griese was a minor strike, Plummer was a major positive, and Cutler was a positive who clearly played better than his win percentage would indicate (thanks largely to a bad defense and injury/inconsistency at RB). Grossman and Beck were not selected in the same way and for the same purposes that every other QB on that list was so while both are strikes, neither particularly belong in the same category as the other failures. When you say that Shanahan has done nothing without Elway I am forced to conclude that you know none of this contextual information, so I'm just trying to help out.

Griffin will likely be Shanahan's first attempt at a homegrown QB and final test as the Redskins' head coach, one way or another.

When you say that Shanahan has done nothing without Elway I am forced to conclude that you know none of this contextual information, so I'm just trying to help out.

Perhaps you misread what I said. I certainly did not write that Shanahan has done nothing without Elway. What I wrote was that Shanahan's record with QBs has not been very good since Elway.

So a veteran QB like Peyton wouldn't be a good fit because he doesn't fit the offensive system....alright, I can buy that. Peyton isn't very mobile and has only been in one pro offensive system.

A guy like RG3 can't fit in Washington because....he is young, coachable, smart, and athletic?

Just sounds like a case of sour grapes to me

So a veteran QB like Peyton wouldn't be a good fit because he doesn't fit the offensive system....alright, I can buy that. Peyton isn't very mobile and has only been in one pro offensive system.

A guy like RG3 can't fit in Washington because....he is young, coachable, smart, and athletic?

Just sounds like a case of sour grapes to me

I think his point was that it is easier for a QB (young or otherwise) to succeed if the offense was geared to his particular talents, than if the QB was expected to fit into an already pre-conceived offense which may not suit his talents.

I agree with you that it is also easier to teach a young dog new tricks rather than an old one.

http://www.kffl.com/...n-will-struggle

McNabb must be having Redskins' withdrawal or must hate Shanahan badly. He said they will not tailor the offense to Peyton if Peyton went there. Now, he is mouthing off about RG3. Enough McNabb, no more chunky soup commercials, I get it, you need a way to stay relevant!!!

Agree hes washed up and being a hater is all he couldnt help them so noone can.

I think his point was that it is easier for a QB (young or otherwise) to succeed if the offense was geared to his particular talents, than if the QB was expected to fit into an already pre-conceived offense which may not suit his talents.

I agree with you that it is also easier to teach a young dog new tricks rather than an old one.

Didn't he say RG3 wouldn't work because of egos? I don't see how that would make a difference. Shanahan has shown he can win championships; despite me not liking him, he has shown he can be a successful coach in the NFL. I'm sure he isn't foolish enough to keep his offense one way and not change it at all. I could see him doing that for an older guy like McNabb or Peyton, but I'm sure if he knows this next QB is the face of the franchise, he will do whatever he can to make him successful.

Didn't he say RG3 wouldn't work because of egos? I don't see how that would make a difference. Shanahan has shown he can win championships; despite me not liking him, he has shown he can be a successful coach in the NFL. I'm sure he isn't foolish enough to keep his offense one way and not change it at all. I could see him doing that for an older guy like McNabb or Peyton, but I'm sure if he knows this next QB is the face of the franchise, he will do whatever he can to make him successful.

It's very interesting how McNabb worded it. He said RG3 will probably not fit in with Mike Shanahan because often times egos become involved when it comes to Washington. He did not attribute the ego to RG3, but implied it to Shanahan.

McNabb denies that Shanahan has changed his son's Houston offense, given his statement of being "misused". If McNabb is telling the truth, why would you think Shanahan would be willing to change the offense for RG3 when he wasn't for McNabb? Maybe the answer is that the heat is on now, but not back when McNabb was around.

It's very interesting how McNabb worded it. He said RG3 will probably not fit in with Mike Shanahan because often times egos become involved when it comes to Washington. He did not attribute the ego to RG3, but implied it to Shanahan.

McNabb denies that Shanahan has changed his son's Houston offense, given his statement of being "misused". If McNabb is telling the truth, why would you think Shanahan would be willing to change the offense for RG3 when he wasn't for McNabb? Maybe the answer is that the heat is on now, but not back when McNabb was around.

I agree, but add that McNabb is an old QB who isn't as mobile as Shanahan likes for his offense and wasn't the long term face of the franchise. The team has given up a lot to move up to be able to draft RG3, meaning the front office thinks this is the guy. It would not bode well for Shanahan to keep his offense the same and not change it a bit when the front office has so much invested in RG3.

I agree, but add that McNabb is an old QB who isn't as mobile as Shanahan likes for his offense and wasn't the long term face of the franchise. The team has given up a lot to move up to be able to draft RG3, meaning the front office thinks this is the guy. It would not bode well for Shanahan to keep his offense the same and not change it a bit when the front office has so much invested in RG3.

Indeed. The Redskins have invested a lot (2 future first round and this year's 2nd round draft picks) to move up 4 spots in the first round this year.

I think Shanahan should feel the heat under his seat if he cannot make this work, and he will be more motivated to do what is necessary to make RG3 successful.

Yes, I do think RG3 has better tools to have enough flexibility to succeed in any scheme, much more so than McNabb had.

However, I still think it would be a good thing to not try and force fit RG3 into any pre-conceived offense that may not suit his abilities.

I watched this today. I kinda see both sides of it. Mcnabb definitely took the time to let everyone know how he feels about Shanahan. You could tell he is just bitter and holding a grudge I'm sure. He did imply that it was not RG3's ego though. I think that the pair of them, McNabb and Shanahan just did not end up working well together. They don't like each other and thats it. Oh well, I still think RG3 will be fine. Not worried about him one bit. Unless we play him and then I hope for out D to really be a lot better.

I watched this today. I kinda see both sides of it. Mcnabb definitely took the time to let everyone know how he feels about Shanahan. You could tell he is just bitter and holding a grudge I'm sure. He did imply that it was not RG3's ego though. I think that the pair of them, McNabb and Shanahan just did not end up working well together. They don't like each other and thats it. Oh well, I still think RG3 will be fine. Not worried about him one bit. Unless we play him and then I hope for out D to really be a lot better.

Yes, McNabb attributed the ego problem to Shanahan, not RG3.

It would be interesting to follow what happens with RG3 and the Redskins over the season, to see how much the team adjusts for RG3 and vice versa.

It would also be interesting to see how the father/son dynamic works in a different organization than the Colts.

The Shanahans do adapt their playcalling to suit the man lining up behind center. There were clear differences in the way our offense was executed between McNabb, Grossman, and Beck. The core principles and philosophy of the offense remained relatively the same but for those to change you have to have a guy around who you know is worth keeping and adapting to. A player who doesn't put in the work during the week and blames others for his own failings is not worth keeping in your back pocket.

McNabb is just doing what he has done throughout his career in that he is shirking blame off of himself with doublespeak. He has a demonstrable knack for saying the right things publicly despite a very different picture being painted behind the scenes.

The Shanahans do adapt their playcalling to suit the man lining up behind center. There were clear differences in the way our offense was executed between McNabb, Grossman, and Beck. The core principles and philosophy of the offense remained relatively the same but for those to change you have to have a guy around who you know is worth keeping and adapting to. A player who doesn't put in the work during the week and blames others for his own failings is not worth keeping in your back pocket.

McNabb is just doing what he has done throughout his career in that he is shirking blame off of himself with doublespeak. He has a demonstrable knack for saying the right things publicly despite a very different picture being painted behind the scenes.

From what you wrote above, you are basically confirming what McNabb claimed, that the Shanahans did not alter their offensive philosophy to suit his talents. McNabb never said anything about individual play calls. He was talking about overall offensive philosophy, and specifically called it the Houston/Matt Schaub offense.

You wrote that the Shanahans did not change the core offense because they did not feel that McNabb was a "guy around who you know is worth keeping and adapting to". This is basically what McNabb claimed. We will see if the Shanahans behave differently when they get RG3, and determine if he is "guy around who you know is worth keeping and adapting to".

I think McNabb made the point, that if the Shanahans do not change the offense to suit a "guy around who you know is worth keeping and adapting to" with RG3, then RG3 would not fit very well with the Redskins. I think that is a valid point, spoken from direct experience.

You wrote that the Shanahans did not change the core offense because they did not feel that McNabb was a "guy around who you know is worth keeping and adapting to". This is basically what McNabb claimed. We will see if the Shanahans behave differently when they get RG3, and determine if he is "guy around who you know is worth keeping and adapting to".

I think McNabb made the point, that if the Shanahans do not change the offense to suit a "guy around who you know is worth keeping and adapting to" with RG3, then RG3 would not fit very well with the Redskins. I think that is a valid point, spoken from direct experience.

Here's the thing, though, the scheme isn't that different from what Andy Reid does in Philadelphia (both are slightly more vertical WCOs, the terminology and tendencies are slightly different but it's not so drastic a change otherwise as you might expect). It's not like McNabb's physical skillset was ever the problem, either. Mentally he just did not want to make the relatively small adaptations necessary to play in the system installed by our coaches and he was unwilling to work with the coaches when it came to making some mechanical changes that would improve his overall level of play. What's more, when the Vikings catered directly to McNabb and built a system around his talents he still flopped. How on Earth do you take the guy at his word on RGIII when his problems very obviously stem from the fact that he was already on the decline and was extremely resistant to change, however large or small?

There is no doubt in my mind that there is something wrong with McNabb upstairs. He very clearly has some sort of persecution complex that has interfered with his ability to be an effective QB in Philly, in DC, and in the great frozen north.

That was kind of a rambling quote. I guess he's saying he does not think they will adjust the oline for RGIII, they won't capitalize on his strengths.

I guess he would know. Either that or sour grapes.

Time will tell.

The redskins fan I know is so excited about RGIII he can't sleep at night