Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do Colts want to be KC or Minnesota (Merge)

Restinpeacesweetchloe

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a good commentary. Do the colts want to be KC or the Vikings. Time to take a risk at QB.

Agree this team would be a monster with a QB like Mahomes, and really needs to find a good replacement for Rivers.  With that being said I don’t think they’re not capable of a super bowl with Rivers.  

If Rivers can play smart football in Dec/Jan, the team is very capable.  I also think if the offensive play calling could smarten up a little bit.  I think the problem is, so far all we see is the Browns and Ravens game.  Let’s see how Rivers and the offense plays these next 3 games. 

I don’t think the risk has to be in the draft. It might be giving Eason a shot if they have liked what they see.  If things go well Rivers will be back next season. Then the question is do we hang on to Jacoby so we have a backup for Eason in 2022. Or a backup for one we might draft.  I think we may just keep all three next season if we don’t draft a QB. I think Jacoby will make a good backup for a young guy. Whether that be Eason or one we trade up for.

Everybody wants Mahomes but for every Mahomes there are a ton of guys who showed well year one surviving with their legs and slowing the edge rush only to regress as teams adjust to containment with them.  Also wrt Mahomes he got a redshirt year to sit and learn and be ready to command the huddle when his shot came and it worked out very well for him.

The key I think is hitting on a QB who can process fast enough to get through reads and make plays from the pocket where the rules afford protection for the long term investment.  Mahomes can do that on top of his ability to scramble around and Elway defenses.

I like what Ballard did this year at QB.  He brought in a nice vet fit to hold things down and it's working out quite nicely with a 6-3 record and lead in the division so far.  And he's got a young QB with great size and all the tools redshirting and learning behind him.

Good friend of mine was whining like you wouldn't believe after the Chargers drafted Herbert, he was certain it was a Bears-type QB reach at the time.  But boy is he happy now.  Is it really necessary to write Eason off already?

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Eason may get his shot next season, JB will probably be gone.

I am not sure Jacoby will be gone even if Rivers comes back. He could make for a good backup to a young QB in 2022. They would just need to split more reps in practice. We may end up bringing all three back and not drafting at all. If we draft one either Eason or Jacoby would have to be gone. Or rivers has a bad season and retires.

Based on the defensive and a little bit of offensive philosophy, the Colts want to be the 49ers of 2019. Excellent secondary and front seven play is what they are striving for on defense and a QB that makes timely plays but the identity of their offense still revolving around running the ball but passing when necessary. Not a co-incidence they went ahead and got Buckner signed up.

No marquee WR but WRs that they can get in motion and free up for catches in the passing game, that looks like those 49ers too, IMO.

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think the risk has to be in the draft. It might be giving Eason a shot if they have liked what they see.  If things go well Rivers will be back next season. Then the question is do we hang on to Jacoby so we have a backup for Eason in 2022. Or a backup for one we might draft.  I think we may just keep all three next season if we don’t draft a QB. I think Jacoby will make a good backup for a young guy. Whether that be Eason or one we trade up for.

The chances of Rivers, Brissett and Eason all being back next year is non-existent. 

I have a feeling Eason is the guy.  Redshirting a season is perfect.  Just like Mahomes.  I just don't see Ballard trading a boatload of picks to move up for a QB.  But I can see him trading our 1st for a WR like the Bills did for Diggs.  He did it for Buckner and it worked out great.  I think that is the more likely move and Eason takes over next year.  

He's got the measurables, that's for sure. I like how he's from Notre Dame also, so we've got some homegrown talent. I like how we're not pressuring him into the starting role and he's not a 1st round pick, so hopefully he doesn't feel a ton of pressure like so many failed 1st-round QB's endure.

4 hours ago, Boondoggle said:

Everybody wants Mahomes but for every Mahomes there are a ton of guys who showed well year one surviving with their legs and slowing the edge rush only to regress as teams adjust to containment with them.  Also wrt Mahomes he got a redshirt year to sit and learn and be ready to command the huddle when his shot came and it worked out very well for him.

The key I think is hitting on a QB who can process fast enough to get through reads and make plays from the pocket where the rules afford protection for the long term investment.  Mahomes can do that on top of his ability to scramble around and Elway defenses.

I like what Ballard did this year at QB.  He brought in a nice vet fit to hold things down and it's working out quite nicely with a 6-3 record and lead in the division so far.  And he's got a young QB with great size and all the tools redshirting and learning behind him.

Good friend of mine was whining like you wouldn't believe after the Chargers drafted Herbert, he was certain it was a Bears-type QB reach at the time.  But boy is he happy now.  Is it really necessary to write Eason off already?

He’s got a cannon

5 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

I'm kinda hoping if Rivers retires the Packers get bounced early and the GM says its Love time making Rodgers available. 

That sounds so freaking hilarious the way I said it but you know what I mean 

If that were to happen I bet he and Belichick would wind up together in New England. They would have a good relationship, and it would be clear it’s the last few chances for each of them to add rings to their legacies, and who more would that pull one last double down with? 

I don’t think we’re in any contention to land him any way things play out. 

Just now, John Waylon said:

If that were to happen I bet he and Belichick would wind up together in New England. They would have a good relationship, and it would be clear it’s the last few chances for each of them to add rings to their legacies, and who more would that pull one last double down with? 

I don’t think we’re in any contention to land him any way things play out. 

You don't think a QB chasing a ring would be interested in a top 3 line? 

Hmm...

Also, top 3 D? 

I mean I think Prescott or Eason is more likely than Rodgers, but don't be so dismissive. Brady is playing for the Bucs. LOL

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Hmm...

Also, top 3 D? 

I mean I think Prescott or Eason is more likely than Rodgers, but don't be so dismissive. Brady is playing for the Bucs. LOL

4 minutes ago, AustinnKaine said:

Hmm...

Also, top 3 D? 

No more old qb. We need to find and develop our own. Enough with the musical chairs at QB. Reich is already on his 3rd one.

6 hours ago, Nate! said:

I actually think they would take a risk on a QB when one is there they like.  I don’t think you can just YOLO it and give away a bounty of picks for a QB you don’t even like.  

6 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think it is not so much we didn't take a risk in the last draft, it just needs to be a QB Ballard believes in before we do take a huge risk. I am not sold on Eason by the way either.

I agree with both of y'all, last offseason they talked about how Ballard would never trade away a 1st round pick for a player because he loves his draft picks to much. I expect if Ballard finds a QB he likes he will make sure he gets them.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

No more old qb. We need to find and develop our own. Enough with the musical chairs at QB. Reich is already on his 3rd one.

Not exactly his fault.  Luck retired. They scrambled and wound up with Brissett, not bad on such short notice.  Upgraded to Rivers and drafted Eason......if they think Eason is the guy or are in position to draft one next year, I think you're gonna get your wish.  Or we get a year of Matt Stafford.....

Point is they havent shown complacency addressing the position nor have they been foolish. Luck set this team back 5 to 10 years,  I think that's a fact.

Each move they've made since that fateful day has presumably taken us closer to finding the new face of the franchise. 

41 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I'd gladly take Rodgers even for just 2 to 3 years. Like it was said before no player in the draft is a guarantee.

Rodgers would be a rock star with us

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

Hmm...

Also, top 3 D? 

Who would you rather have trying to guide your team to a super bowl? Belichick, or Reich? The Patriots aren’t just entirely hapless. Rodgers would go a long way to covering some of their deficiencies.  

4 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Who would you rather have trying to guide your team to a super bowl? Belichick, or Reich? The Patriots aren’t just entirely hapless. Rodgers would go a long way to covering some of their deficiencies.  

The Colts have a better roster

The Patriots have a better coach 

Here's the difference 

Colts are 6 - 3

Patriots are 3 - 5

1 minute ago, danlhart87 said:

The Colts have a better roster

The Patriots have a better coach 

Here's the difference 

Colts are 6 - 3

Patriots are 3 - 5

Even with as little as I think of Rivers, I think less of Cam Newton as a QB. Especially in an offense where the QB is the engine driving the car. If we had taken Cam and they had taken Rivers the records would most likely be reversed. 

9 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Even with as little as I think of Rivers, I think less of Cam Newton as a QB. Especially in an offense where the QB is the engine driving the car. If we had taken Cam and they had taken Rivers the records would most likely be reversed. 

There's a reason Rivers got 25m and Cam got scraps. Rivers might not be an MVP but he's a lot better than Cam.

I know its what you said im just further adding to your point 

7 hours ago, BProland85 said:

This next draft might be an opportunity to trade up for a guy like Trey Lance or Zach Wilson, unless the team believes in the progress of Eason. 

This.  And I see it happening that way.  I'd like Lance, but I think he goes before a spot they can reasonably get to, especially if he tests well at the Combine.  I think a guy like Wilson or Trask will be there though.  My pref would be Wilson but Trask wouldn't be crumbs either.  Let them battle it out with Eason.

Colin Cowherd is by far the best of any sports analyst on TV. Whether anyone on here or Colin himself thinks of that as a compliment is up to them.

He is 100% right here. The QB leads the team and he guides the team to championships as long as he is there if he is good enough. Rivers is average at his age now. He is in the right situation, but at most, he has this year and next year, and he will retire. That leaves Eason and whatever else we draft or sign in FA. Maybe we trade for Darnold on the cheap (getting tired of bringing that up, but it still applies for a little longer as the Jets are winless). Once we get that young, franchise QB, then we'll have an option for the long-term to grow and compete with the Mahomes, Watson, and Lamars of the AFC. Until then, we will be one step behind all of them either using band-aids, or trying to continuously hit on the QB position for years and years to come.

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a good commentary. Do the colts want to be KC or the Vikings. Time to take a risk at QB.

Just in general, Reich is about as far from Reid as you can be. So making any kind of argument like this is a fools errand with Reich as a HC. If you put Mahomes on this team, he'd look a lot different. Sure we'd be better. Mahomes would likely look worse though in this scheme. That's not even including or accounting for the difference in the genius that is Reid's play calling.

17 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Just in general, Reich is about as far from Reid as you can be. So making any kind of argument like this is a fools errand with Reich as a HC. If you put Mahomes on this team, he'd look a lot different. Sure we'd be better. Mahomes would likely look worse though in this scheme. That's not even including or accounting for the difference in the genius that is Reid's play calling.

Well considering Reid has been calling offensive plays since 1999 and Reich has been calling offensive plays since 2018  I guess it might make a difference?

Plus I would think Frank's play calling would be different if he had the talent level of Reid? 

Archived