Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nashville Sports Radio Idiocy

BProland85

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Indy's D held Henry to 103 yds, Tannehill to 147yds and 1 td. and Brown to 1 catch for 21 yds. 

Going into this game the Titans averaged 28 points a game and scored 17.

So saying the Colts D dictated was not a stretch. 

Not only did they dictate, they dominated too. 

I think the Colts D played well but it was more of an offensive dominance.  At one point in the 3rd quarter, the Colts had 100 yards of offense to Tennessee's 9.  That speaks to the Colts holding onto the ball than anything else.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, krunk said:

They gave us some fits here and there so I can sort of see if they have some doubts about our D.  Even if its not entirely real.

We'll play them much better in game two up in Indy I am almost certain of it. 

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Need to be factual here. Sure Nash guys are homers, we should expect that, but that doesn't mean they aren't directionally correct. 

1. Our D in the first half wasn't good at all. We gave up scores on 3 of 4 drives.

2. Giving up 17 in pts in half is just not good. Our D was only giving up 20pts a game. We gave up 17 in the first half.

3. Henry still rushed for 100+ yards and near his season average, and was well above his season average for YPC (5.4 vs 4.7).

4. Before the shank and the blocked punt for a TD, we were down 17-13. Those two plays turned the game and led to 14 pts putting us up 10 instead of down 4. Then they missed a FG after that.

In short, TN's running game is their bread and butter, and sets up their pass. They are not a team that plays well down by multiple scores. Their kicking game woes contributed to a 17 point differential. Our D had little to do with that. Those issues made them predictable late in the game and easier to defend. Our passing game, and our STs, flipped the game and won it for us.

Henry didn’t even really play the 4th quarter because the ST plays put TEN in a negative game script. I wouldn’t say the Colts held him to anything.

That holding penalty after the Henry was a back-breaker. Would have been 1st and goal from the 7. TEN gets a TD there and it’s a 3-point game. Instead...they miss the FG and basically give up.

Colts were the better overall team...but that game got really fluky real fast. Much closer than the final score indicates. 

2 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Henry didn’t even really play the 4th quarter because the ST plays put TEN in a negative game script. I wouldn’t say the Colts held him to anything.

That holding penalty after the Henry was a back-breaker. Would have been 1st and goal from the 7. TEN gets a TD there and it’s a 3-point game. Instead...they miss the FG and basically give up.

Colts were the better overall team...but that game got really fluky real fast. Much closer than the final score indicates. 

Yup, and like I said, he was still at AVG YPG, and well above average in YPC. Had it been close, he would have played a lot more in the 2nd, and been well above his YPG too.

And yup on the fluky fast... 

Overall though, we were better. But our D didn't dominate anything like some say. And they were pretty bad in the 1st. It was great getting them out of their typical game plan.

Crazy you guys want to give everything credit but our defense.  Sure they struggled in the first half but the second half they balled out and pitched a shutout.  Sure our special teams helped break the game open. But guess what?  Teams don’t have to punt unless they’ve been stopped and after our offense took us all the way down the field and stalled out they got them the ball right back (shanked punt) and gave them a 2nd chance to get points. Then they stopped them again which lead to the blocked punt.  Defense, Hines, Rivers, and special teams all played major roles in that win.  

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Not sure you do but when we win the division I will be talking to you to like all the doubters. 

I was nice to you and didn't call you a hater at least. I like you haha 

A fact is when the Colts have a 3 game division with two to play.  Then you can say they are division champs. 

Right now they are technically tied with Tenn and still have very hard games ahead of them.  It is not a certainty.

1 minute ago, jskinnz said:

A fact is when the Colts have a 3 game division with two to play.  Then you can say they are division champs. 

Right now they are technically tied with Tenn and still have very hard games ahead of them.  It is not a certainty.

I know, can't at least enjoy this week :thmup:. I am talking smack but in a positive way haha 

Just now, Smoke317 said:

Crazy you guys want to give everything credit but our defense.  Sure they struggled in the first half but the second half they balled out and pitched a shutout.  Sure our special teams helped break the game open. But guess what?  Teams don’t have to punt unless they’ve been stopped and after our offense took us all the way down the field and stalled out they got them the ball right back (shanked punt) and have theme 2nd chance to get points. Then they stopped them again which lead to the blocked punt.  Defense, Hines, Rivers, and special teams all played major roles in that win.  

We gave up 20/game going into the game. We gave up 17 in the first half. That's just not good.

The shank + blocked punt + missed FG on 3 consecutive drives really killed them and made them one dimensional. That's a 17pt impact. They still moved the ball well on 2 of the 2H drives. One just was a missed FG, and the other they couldn't settle for a FG because they were down so much, and turned it over on downs.

The D did come up big on a few plays in the 2H, but it wasn't against a typical TN offense. It was against a team playing outside of their game plan. The offense won the 1H. The special teams won the 2H aided by an O that took advantage of a shank and missed FG. We literally punted only once, and that was our last drive.

2 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

We gave up 20/game going into the game. We gave up 17 in the first half. That's just not good.

The shank + blocked punt + missed FG on 3 consecutive drives really killed them and made them one dimensional. That's a 17pt impact. They still moved the ball well on 2 of the 2H drives. One just was a missed FG, and the other they couldn't settle for a FG because they were down so much, and turned it over on downs.

The D did come up big on a few plays in the 2H, but it wasn't against a typical TN offense. It was against a team playing outside of their game plan. The offense won the 1H. The special teams won the 2H aided by an O that took advantage of a shank and missed FG. We literally punted only once, and that was our last drive.

Rivers is really good in the hurry up offense, I hope we stick with it. I really don't mind Frank going for it on 4th either. Chuck rarely did.

16 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Crazy you guys want to give everything credit but our defense.  Sure they struggled in the first half but the second half they balled out and pitched a shutout.  Sure our special teams helped break the game open. But guess what?  Teams don’t have to punt unless they’ve been stopped and after our offense took us all the way down the field and stalled out they got them the ball right back (shanked punt) and gave them a 2nd chance to get points. Then they stopped them again which lead to the blocked punt.  Defense, Hines, Rivers, and special teams all played major roles in that win.  

I don’t think people are saying they didn’t have a big role...just that it wasn’t really this narrative of a dominant defense winning...which I guess was the point the Nashville local radio was making. 

5 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

When they come here in 2 weeks will be the tell all. 

Yep...this was necessary...but that game is what matters. It’s still early...but technically...the Colts had to win both to “control their own destiny” because they were down a game in the standings. Now both teams control their own...and it comes down to this game (again...technically speaking). 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Do you give special teams credit for the shanked punt or the defense for stopping them and keeping them backed up having to punt from being backed up?  Other punt block also required the defense to get a stop.  First half was Phillip throwing it 25 times. 2nd half only 14.  We leaned on the running game, ball control, and efficient passing in the 2nd half.  If our D doesn’t immediately stop them after our long drive and coming up short, maybe they give their defense a chance to catch their breath with a nice drive of their own.  Our D played excellent the 2nd half.  And sticking with the run and eating clock was our key on offense that 2nd half.  I think special teams, defense, then offense were the keys and in that order.  Hines the MVP. 

4 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

I don’t think people are saying they didn’t have a big role...just that it wasn’t really this narrative of a dominant defense winning...which I guess was the point the Nashville local radio was making. 

Yeah but they dissed our defense. They definitely didn’t deserve to be dissed or minimized. If they didn’t show up that 2nd half we don’t win and special teams doesn’t get the opportunities to impact the game the way they did.  

5 minutes ago, shasta519 said:

Yep...this was necessary...but that game is what matters. It’s still early...but technically...the Colts had to win both to “control their own destiny” because they were down a game in the standings. Now both teams control their own...and it comes down to this game (again...technically speaking). 

Yep, we had to win and we did. That showed me a lot. Had we lost that would've been brutal. I thought we would win because I think Rivers even at 38 is slightly better than Tannehill and we have the better defense. I didn't expect SP Teams to play a huge role but it did :thmup:

9 minutes ago, Smoke317 said:

Do you give special teams credit for the shanked punt or the defense for stopping them and keeping them backed up having to punt from being backed up?  Other punt block also required the defense to get a stop.  First half was Phillip throwing it 25 times. 2nd half only 14.  We leaned on the running game, ball control, and efficient passing in the 2nd half.  If our D doesn’t immediately stop them after our long drive and coming up short, maybe they give their defense a chance to catch their breath with a nice drive of their own.  Our D played excellent the 2nd half.  And sticking with the run and eating clock was our key on offense that 2nd half.  I think special teams, defense, then offense were the keys and in that order.  Hines the MVP. 

On the shanked put drive, they were moving the ball well until Tannehill got sacked. I give the D credit for that sack. But the D also allowed Henry 3 runs of 5 yards or more that drive. I give the STs credit for causing the shank.

On the drive that ended with a blocked punt TD - 1st play Smith was running deep with a few step on our DB, and Tannehill just missed him. That was bad Tannehill, not good D. It was actually bad D and could have been a huge pickup. 2nd down was a good stop by Leonard on Henry. The 3rd down pass was a bad route by the WR. He basically ran into Okereke, so not giving the D credit on that one. Had he settled down correctly or came back, it would have been an easy pitch and catch. So 2 of the 3 plays were bad offense. And of course I give STs/Speed the credit for the block. 

You giving more credit to the D than the O is twilight zone stuff. Our O dominated possession before the block/TD. They had 62 plays on O to that point. Yes, 62.... Think about that. And they only punted once, which was on the very last drive when we ran it a bunch in a row to kill clock. One punt... Rivers was 74% for 309, and a 7.4 AVG with no INTs. Our O played well above our average. Our D did not. 

2 hours ago, jskinnz said:

I think the Colts D played well but it was more of an offensive dominance.  At one point in the 3rd quarter, the Colts had 100 yards of offense to Tennessee's 9.  That speaks to the Colts holding onto the ball than anything else.

Well on the other side of the coin it was the defense that stopped the Titans from advancing the ball when they did get the ball. Thus our offense have a lead in ball control. 

It was also the defense that blocked the punt for a TD and put the pressure on the punter to shank a punt. 

18 hours ago, krunk said:

They gave us some fits here and there so I can sort of see if they have some doubts about our D.  Even if its not entirely real.

We'll play them much better in game two up in Indy I am almost certain of it. 

Yeah, I think we have a pretty good D.  But are we the Steel Curtain Steelers, the ‘85 Bears or the Lewis-Reed era Ravens?  Obviously not.  Still a lot of youth out there.  But it’s probably the best D we’ve had in recent memory.  And one of the better ones in the league this year.

Should only get better, too.

13 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Our Special Teams didn't make as many mistakes as theirs. That is part of winning, just like our D or O playing better than theirs. Why is this even an issue....

Great question. 

We get a total team win but some just cant relax and be happy without finding something to be negative about. 

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

Yeah, I think we have a pretty good D.  But are we the Steel Curtain Steelers, the ‘85 Bears or the Lewis-Reed era Ravens?  Obviously not.  Still a lot of youth out there.  But it’s probably the best D we’ve had in recent memory.  And one of the better ones in the league this year.

Should only get better, too.

I think we are Legion of Boomish

1 hour ago, braveheartcolt said:

Our Special Teams didn't make as many mistakes as theirs. That is part of winning, just like our D or O playing better than theirs. Why is this even an issue....

I agree.  Anybody who downplays ST - as if it’s some kind of trifling necessary formality - doesn’t know football very well.  Very critical part of the game.  Many games are won and lost because of ST play.

3 minutes ago, luv_pony_express said:

I agree.  Anybody who downplays ST - as if it’s some kind of trifling necessary formality - doesn’t know football very well.  Very critical part of the game.  Many games are won and lost because of ST play.

Exactly.

A few of the Colts losses in the playoffs can be blamed on poor STs play. 

3 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Well on the other side of the coin it was the defense that stopped the Titans from advancing the ball when they did get the ball. Thus our offense have a lead in ball control. 

It was also the defense that blocked the punt for a TD and put the pressure on the punter to shank a punt. 

The nest block and blocked punt are not defensive plays and you know it. 

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

The nest block and blocked punt are not defensive plays and you know it. 

No I don't know it.

The Colts line up in a defensive punt cover. That is a play designed to defend the punt that includes a fake.

It is defensive move to put pressure on the punter and get a take away if possible. 

The scheme may be different but it is a defensive play.

I think D plays much better in 2nd match up. Most of what i saw was bad run fits on some of Henrys runs. We can clean that up. Bad angles on a pass here and there like that 3rd down slant that went for a nice gain. Looked like a bad angle or we missed timed the jump on the route attempting to pick. All stuff we can clean up.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

No I don't know it.

The Colts line up in a defensive punt cover. That is a play designed to defend the punt that includes a fake.

It is defensive move to put pressure on the punter and get a take away if possible. 

The scheme may be different but it is a defensive play.

By that logic everytime the kicker scores it’s the offense.  If that’s how you look at fine but then you are pretty much saying there is no such thing as a special teams unit and most will disagree with that.  

Its not the starting defense out there for the most part.  Speed and Carrie made the play who are back ups.  It was the special teams unit who did it.  Most people are going to tell you that’s not the same as starting defense making a play.  They even have a different guy coaching them than the defense does.  

If you want to play internet lawyer on this and argue for a technicality go ahead but virtually no one is going to agree with you and is still going to give the special teams unit, not the defense, the credit for that play, including the Colts.

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

By that logic everytime the kicker scores it’s the offense.  If that’s how you look at fine but then you are pretty much saying there is no such thing as a special teams unit and most will disagree with that.  

Its not the starting defense out there for the most part.  Speed and Carrie made the play who are back ups.  It was the special teams unit who did it.  Most people are going to tell you that’s not the same as starting defense making a play.  They even have a different guy coaching them than the defense does.  

If you want to play internet lawyer on this and argue for a technicality go ahead but virtually no one is going to agree with you and is still going to give the special teams unit, not the defense, the credit for that play, including the Colts.

You said it right. A technicality. 

Bubba Ventrone is the special teams coordinator. What is his job? To teach his players how to defend the punt formation. 

Yes I understand that is all categorized but the unit is taught defense against the punting unit. 

Anytime there are players lined up without possessing the ball it is in defense of the line of scrimmage. 

I think a lawyer would have a good case? :peek:

I know it's fantasy but in fantasy football, special teams are included in the defense. 

Maybe a new category? Special Teams Defense? :spit:

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You said it right. A technicality. 

Bubba Ventrone is the special teams coordinator. What is his job? To teach his players how to defend the punt formation. 

Yes I understand that is all categorized but the unit is taught defense against the punting unit. 

Anytime there are players lined up without possessing the ball it is in defense of the line of scrimmage. 

I think a lawyer would have a good case? :peek:

I know it's fantasy but in fantasy football, special teams are included in the defense. 

Maybe a new category? Special Teams Defense? :spit:

No just special teams which is what just about everyone in the world calls it and understands it’s a separate unit from the defense.

1 minute ago, GoColts8818 said:

No just special teams which is what just about everyone in the world calls it and understands it’s a separate unit from the defense.

You take this too serious. 

If it means that much to you that I was wrong, OK you got it. 

Now how much will it cost me? 

21 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

You take this too serious. 

If it means that much to you that I was wrong, OK you got it. 

Now how much will it cost me? 

You guys are sitting here arguing about this, but no one is asking the real question:

What makes Special Teams so special?

Where’s the answer on that one, huh?

I rest my case. No further questions, your honor

Archived