Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Packers Colts Predictions

danlhart87

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

We have TN at home. There's no excuse for losing to them in Indy. Jax should be automatic. 

Not sure 9-7 will get us there. 9 AFC teams have 3 or few losses right now. 9-7 means we lose 4 out of the 7 remaining, likely elevates TN back in 1st in the AFCS, and makes it very difficult to lock up a spot. We already are on the loser side of tie breakers to Cleveland and Baltimore.

I agree, there is no excuse for losing at home to TN. The Colts honestly need to beat GB, TN, Houston and Jacksonville at home and try to get a victory on the road vs LV or Houston.  That right there wins the division and gets the 4th seed.  Bills look like they could win 6 of their last 7 remaining games which would put them at 13-3 or 12-4.  Don’t think we can catch them unless they struggle down the stretch, plus I think they are sneaky good team.  I say Baltimore will be the 5th seed and would love a rematch at home again.  

Next week’s game and also the following week will really show what this team is capable of. We let Baltimore come into our house and shut us down. If we let GB and/or TN do the same...well, at minimum I would understand the fan outrage. This team needs to start consistently beating the 2nd tier teams in our own house.  

1 hour ago, AwesomeAustin said:

I agree, there is no excuse for losing at home to TN. The Colts honestly need to beat GB, TN, Houston and Jacksonville at home and try to get a victory on the road vs LV or Houston.  That right there wins the division and gets the 4th seed.  Bills look like they could win 6 of their last 7 remaining games which would put them at 13-3 or 12-4.  Don’t think we can catch them unless they struggle down the stretch, plus I think they are sneaky good team.  I say Baltimore will be the 5th seed and would love a rematch at home again.  

Next week’s game and also the following week will really show what this team is capable of. We let Baltimore come into our house and shut us down. If we let GB and/or TN do the same...well, at minimum I would understand the fan outrage. This team needs to start consistently beating the 2nd tier teams in our own house.  

I think we'll be favored in the rest of our games except Pitt so long as we don't fall off a cliff. LV may be even if both teams keep winning. We're early favs over GB. If we're going to truly be a team that competes in the post season, we also need to be a team that starts winning the games we're supposed to. We've not been that team consistently, but Thursday night was a good start.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I just realized Jordan Love isn’t even the packers backup QB. He is inactive just like Eason. Imagine spending a first round pick on a QB that isn’t even the backup QB while we are doing the same with one we got in the fourth round.

I'm kinda hoping Packers get killed in playoffs so they bye bye to Rodgers 

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I just realized Jordan Love isn’t even the packers backup QB. He is inactive just like Eason. Imagine spending a first round pick on a QB that isn’t even the backup QB while we are doing the same with one we got in the fourth round.

Doesn’t surprise me.  Love had over rated written all over him. Was telling that Ballard had no interest in moving up to trade for him.  

24 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Boyle signed (3 year contract) with the Packers in 2018, and is cheap, under contract, and knows the offense. Love is project to develop. I'd assume Boyle is not resigned after this year, and Love, after a year of development, takes over. It's not all that unexpected. 

22 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Doesn’t surprise me.  Love had over rated written all over him. Was telling that Ballard had no interest in moving up to trade for him.  

see above

3 hours ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Just sweeping Tennessee will make it very difficult for them winning the division. I see Tennessee going 9-7 if that happens.

32 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You still don’t spend a first round pick for a guy that isn’t  going to play for probably three years and isn’t even the backup. Especially when they needed WR help. This is why Ballard is so good. If a guy is that much of a project he isn’t worth a first round pick.

You're being a bit short sighted. GB is top 10 in total O, top 10 in passing O, and top 10 in rushing O. That's a very well rounded O. 

They have 4 pass catchers in the top 100 (which that's above average), including Adams who is top 10. 

Could Love be a bust? Sure. Would a WR have helped, Maybe. They could have also picked up that in FA too so it's not a QBvsWR conversation for that pick anyway. They are playing the long game, and they are well positioned this year, and in the future. They are currently tied for the lead in the NFC, and have 2 less losses than anyone in their division.

If you want to talk about silly, paying your back up QB 20M?? Don't spend a 1st?? Hello. GB did the same with the Favre and Rodgers situation. Rodgers was picked in the 1st, and didn't transition to starter until his 4th year. Now Rodgers has less leverage should he want to play hardball after 2021, and GB has a full two years to evaluate Love. Conversely, we have no clear starter under contract for even next year, just a guy nobody knows abut sitting on the PS. And that's why Ballard is so good? 

6 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

You're being a bit short sighted. GB is top 10 in total O, top 10 in passing O, and top 10 in rushing O. That's a very well rounded O. 

They have 4 pass catchers in the top 100 (which that's above average), including Adams who is top 10. 

Could Love be a bust? Sure. Would a WR have helped, Maybe. They could have also picked up that in FA too so it's not a QBvsWR conversation for that pick anyway. They are playing the long game, and they are well positioned this year, and in the future. They are currently tied for the lead in the NFC, and have 2 less losses than anyone in their division.

If you want to talk about silly, paying your back up QB 20M?? Don't spend a 1st?? Hello. GB did the same with the Favre and Rodgers situation. Rodgers was picked in the 1st, and didn't transition to starter until his 4th year. Now Rodgers has less leverage should he want to play hardball after 2021, and GB has a full two years to evaluate Love. Conversely, we have no clear starter under contract for even next year, just a guy nobody knows abut sitting on the PS. And that's why Ballard is so good? 

If we win the division I think Rivers will play 1 more year but IMO JB will be gone and Eason will be the backup.

1 hour ago, EastStreet said:

Boyle signed (3 year contract) with the Packers in 2018, and is cheap, under contract, and knows the offense. Love is project to develop. I'd assume Boyle is not resigned after this year, and Love, after a year of development, takes over. It's not all that unexpected. 

see above

Jordan Love is the next Paxton Lynch. Lol.  Sorry...never liked him as a player in college and was annoyed with a lot of people calling for Ballard to draft him.  I’m sure hope the kid will have a decent career for his sake but not sure it will justify letting Rodgers walk or trading him. I’m interested to see how Eason and Love compare in 3 years. 

21 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we win the division I think Rivers will play 1 more year but IMO JB will be gone and Eason will be the backup.

I do too. While I'm critical about poor performance and coaching in the moment/weekly/etc., I didn't expect Rivers to come in be great day one given covid camp and no pre-season. You simply need time when inserting a new QB and new pass catchers. Rivers has shown pretty clear improvement as the year has progressed when Reich has taken the training wheels off. 

Rivers had some bad moments early, but I think most expected some bumps. Others just freaked out, and lived the "noodle" arm narrative. Same with folks having zero patience with JT and Pittman, and already giving up on Campbell. If they continue to build on the improvements, I think Rivers will be back next year, and I'd be happy about it. 

And yes, I'd be fine too with JB moving on, and Eason stepping up if Rivers is back. Still a long way to go obviously, but that's the most likely scenario the way things are trending. There could be some wild stuff though that happens too. If a certain guy fell in the draft, or became available in FA, I could also see us making a longer term move.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I do too. While I'm critical about poor performance and coaching in the moment/weekly/etc., I didn't expect Rivers to come in be great day one given covid camp and no pre-season. You simply need time when inserting a new QB and new pass catchers. Rivers has shown pretty clear improvement as the year has progressed when Reich has taken the training wheels off. 

Rivers had some bad moments early, but I think most expected some bumps. Others just freaked out, and lived the "noodle" arm narrative. Same with folks having zero patience with JT and Pittman, and already giving up on Campbell. If they continue to build on the improvements, I think Rivers will be back next year, and I'd be happy about it. 

And yes, I'd be fine too with JB moving on, and Eason stepping up if Rivers is back. Still a long way to go obviously, but that's the most likely scenario the way things are trending. There could be some wild stuff though that happens too. If a certain guy fell in the draft, or became available in FA, I could also see us making a longer term move.

Thursday was huge for Reich and Rivers, it changes a lot but if we stink it up next week the critics will be back lmao .

14 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

Jordan Love is the next Paxton Lynch. Lol.  Sorry...never liked him as a player in college and was annoyed with a lot of people calling for Ballard to draft him.  I’m sure hope the kid will have a decent career for his sake but not sure it will justify letting Rodgers walk or trading him. I’m interested to see how Eason and Love compare in 3 years. 

When all the Love hype was happening in 2018, and later around our scouts following him, I dug into his, his team, and his coaches history. While he certainly could bust (all QBs can), I think his chances are better than Lynch's. He had an amazing year in 2018. In 2019, he had new coaches, a new O to learn, and lost every single starter on O. His new pass catchers were incredibly small, and incredibly slow. His best WR was grad transfer that could never start at Utah. That, and they also lost most of the RB production, and their D took a big step back. 

In short, if you're basing your dislike for him off of his decline from 2018 to 2019, you really need to look at the surrounding factors. That's not to say he won't bust, just that he was more or less on a totally different team in 2019. IMO, he should have transferred himself to a decent team for 2019.

17 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Thursday was huge for Reich and Rivers, it changes a lot but if we stink it up next week the critics will be back lmao .

Thursday did a lot for me for Rivers. Not a lot for me for Reich. Better for Reich in terms of letting Rivers be Rivers, but still a lot of predictable stuff, and still a lot of questionable usage of RBs (rotation and play calling). Just getting a win doesn't make bad stuff go away for me.

My biggest concern though from last week was the 1st half D. Had we not had the passing O playing so well we only punted once at the end of the game, and had our STs not scored and flipped another play, I'm not sure our D would have been able to stop them had we not forced them out of their game plan.

The D will have to be better vs GB. Packers are not one dimensional like TN, and don't need to set up one unit with the other. Packers are top 10 in total yards, top 10 in passing, and top 10 in rushing. Our pass D worries me more than anything when looking at the game coming up. Soft zone and rushing 4 likely won't cut it.

Thursday did a lot for me for Rivers. Not a lot for me for Reich. Better for Reich in terms of letting Rivers be Rivers, but still a lot of predictable stuff, and still a lot of questionable usage of RBs (rotation and play calling). Just getting a win doesn't make bad stuff go away for me.

My biggest concern though from last week was the 1st half D. Had we not had the passing O playing so well we only punted once at the end of the game, and had our STs not scored and flipped another play, I'm not sure our D would have been able to stop them had we not forced them out of their game plan.

The D will have to be better vs GB. Packers are not one dimensional like TN, and don't need to set up one unit with the other. Packers are top 10 in total yards, top 10 in passing, and top 10 in rushing. Our pass D worries me more than anything when looking at the game coming up. Soft zone and rushing 4 likely won't cut it.

The D was great in the 2nd half but I agree on that 1st drive we looked bad. Tannehill was having his way. I still can't figure out what we are doing with Taylor? We use him quite a bit and then don't use him at all. Don't get me wrong I am glad we stuck with Hines Thursday because he was hot but Taylor needs to get more touches. IMO, Taylor is the type of back that needs 15-20 touches to get going.

6 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The D was great in the 2nd half but I agree on that 1st drive we looked bad. Tannehill was having his way. I still can't figure out what we are doing with Taylor? We use him quite a bit and then don't use him at all. Don't get me wrong I am glad we stuck with Hines Thursday because he was hot but Taylor needs to get more touches. IMO, Taylor is the type of back that needs 15-20 touches to get going.

I looked close at the D series play by play. The data matched my eye test. 1H was just plain bad. 2H was not as good as some think. Gave up 2 long drives. Even with getting them out of their game plan early 2H, Henry still had around his avg yards/game, and was significantly above his AVG. They had to be one dimensional, and that helped our D out a lot in the 2H. That's just not good for our vaunted run D. And luckily, Tannehill had to get out of his dink/dunk rhythm. 

Hines was really only effective hitting the end, and picked up most of his rushing yards on that one series. Props to them for changing things up, but why not let Taylor hit the edge too. The overwhelming % of rushing yards we got was from running outside of the Ts. And again, Taylor was mostly limited inside, and in short yardage predictable downs. It's just a horrible way to develop a rook's game and confidence. 

I looked close at the D series play by play. The data matched my eye test. 1H was just plain bad. 2H was not as good as some think. Gave up 2 long drives. Even with getting them out of their game plan early 2H, Henry still had around his avg yards/game, and was significantly above his AVG. They had to be one dimensional, and that helped our D out a lot in the 2H. That's just not good for our vaunted run D. And luckily, Tannehill had to get out of his dink/dunk rhythm. 

Hines was really only effective hitting the end, and picked up most of his rushing yards on that one series. Props to them for changing things up, but why not let Taylor hit the edge too. The overwhelming % of rushing yards we got was from running outside of the Ts. And again, Taylor was mostly limited inside, and in short yardage predictable downs. It's just a horrible way to develop a rook's game and confidence. 

I don't think we are using Taylor right if I had 1 complaint toward Reich. We used Hines right the other night for a change. Our run blocking was better last year but that could be the Mack factor? Mack may just be that good. Henry is arguably the best RB in the league so I figured he would go for around 100 and he got 103. Most weeks our run D is pretty solid. Against the Ravens we stuffed Lamar for a half but he eventually is going to be great too. Playing against a team like Tennessee, I want Tannehill to beat me in the end because I still think he is a game manager and not an elite QB. He isn't anywhere near Mahomes, Lamar, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Ben, etc.. 

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't think we are using Taylor right if I had 1 complaint toward Reich. We used Hines right the other night for a change.

Yup. It felt like the way we successfully used him in 2018. We totally missed the boat on last year and earlier this year. And the thing is, I think Taylor can do basically everything Hines can (hitting the edge and catching the ball). If they can just get Taylor more well rounded rushing attempts, his capacity for yards from scrimmage could be huge. He's top 5 in the league in pass catching % already, and looks very very good catching and running. 

I'm not saying we move on from Hines at all, just to be clear. Just saying it's great to have to dynamic guys like that. And having a well rounded guy that can do it all would be awesome. I'd also love to see some two back sets with both. That would be hell on Ds.

Our run blocking was better last year but that could be the Mack factor?

IDK. The OL has just looked different. I'm really wondering if they haven't fiddled with run blocking schemes. Q isn't drive blocking as much as he did last year, or least that's how it looks. I need to ask @AWalkerColts that question on the next mailbag. Could be totally wrong, just looks and feels different. The drop off of everyone except Glow in grades is really head scratching, and I'm just not able to chalk it up losing Mack. 

Mack may just be that good. Henry is arguably the best RB in the league so I figured he would go for around 100 and he got 103. Most weeks our run D is pretty solid. Against the Ravens we stuffed Lamar for a half but he eventually is going to be great too. Playing against a team like Tennessee, I want Tannehill to beat me in the end because I still think he is a game manager and not an elite QB. He isn't anywhere near Mahomes, Lamar, Rodgers, Brees, Brady, Ben, etc.. 

Yes, but you'd think given our rushing D rank, we'd at least be able to hold Henry below with YPG and YPC average. Especially given we took them out of their game plan early 2H. 

I agree, you want Tannehill to beat you. It's typically hard to do that if you don't either shut down or limit the run, or in our case, put them in a deficit. Thank god for the O and STs doing the later. And yes, Tannehill is highly effective when he's able to play his game with the run setting up the pass. Not so much from behind. 

5 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Yup. It felt like the way we successfully used him in 2018. We totally missed the boat on last year and earlier this year. And the thing is, I think Taylor can do basically everything Hines can (hitting the edge and catching the ball). If they can just get Taylor more well rounded rushing attempts, his capacity for yards from scrimmage could be huge. He's top 5 in the league in pass catching % already, and looks very very good catching and running. 

I'm not saying we move on from Hines at all, just to be clear. Just saying it's great to have to dynamic guys like that. And having a well rounded guy that can do it all would be awesome. I'd also love to see some two back sets with both. That would be hell on Ds.

IDK. The OL has just looked different. I'm really wondering if they haven't fiddled with run blocking schemes. Q isn't drive blocking as much as he did last year, or least that's how it looks. I need to ask @AWalkerColts that question on the next mailbag. Could be totally wrong, just looks and feels different. The drop off of everyone except Glow in grades is really head scratching, and I'm just not able to chalk it up losing Mack. 

Yes, but you'd think given our rushing D rank, we'd at least be able to hold Henry below with YPG and YPC average. Especially given we took them out of their game plan early 2H. 

I agree, you want Tannehill to beat you. It's typically hard to do that if you don't either shut down or limit the run, or in our case, put them in a deficit. Thank god for the O and STs doing the later. And yes, Tannehill is highly effective when he's able to play his game with the run setting up the pass. Not so much from behind. 

The key to beating Tennessee (I know I am being Mr Obvious here lol) is get a lead on them in the 3rd Qtr because that takes away their run game and puts the ball in Tannehill hands. If they got a lead going to the 4th, Henry will just take over.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

The key to beating Tennessee (I know I am being Mr Obvious here lol) is get a lead on them in the 3rd Qtr because that takes away their run game and puts the ball in Tannehill hands. If they got a lead going to the 4th, Henry will just take over.

Yep. And I think it might even be more simple. Like Saban says, the game has changed again, and now in general it takes a good O to win more than a good D.

17 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Perhaps its cause the other is in Las Vegas 

Nah that's not it.  There really is very little home field advantage this year.  I just think the Raiders are a more well-rounded team right now.  The events of the games yesterday did little to alter my opinion of that.

I am less impressed with GB the more I watch.  I watch most weeks because my youngest son is a fan.  They have a great player in Adams and a middling type of D with good LBs, but they aren’t special other than that.

oh yeah, they also have Aaron Rodgers and no one else does.

I like us to move the ball between the 20s and hope we score TDS in the red zone.

i like us to contain theiR run game and think the extra days of prep is advantage Colts.  

It’s so tough isn’t it as we have a tendency to kick FG at times which I don’t see as a major issue our D will def allow us patience.

Rogers is so good at his free plays I worry Rock may get grabby( they’ll forever sure target him) and give big yards. But other than that I feel good about our chances.

If Rogers wasn’t there we’d be massive favourites.

I see it Greenbay come out fast we take our time and take the lead, much like the Tennessee game.

It seems the consensus we fancy our chances coming in to this week.

GO Colts!!!

Archived