Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Nyheim Hines (MERGE)


Recommended Posts

Hines was excellent tonight. Best course of action with him is to get him 6-8 carries and 6-8 receptions a game from now on. He could do so much with that and if you use him in 2 RB sets with Taylor and Wilkins, then he could just dominate games. What a weapon he is turning into for us!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it just me, or does it seem like we get the most out of him in the short passing game?  I'm trying to recall more than a few times where he caught a pass and didn't get some good yardage out of it?  I'm TOTALLY flummoxed on why he wasn't utilized more in the Ravens game, particularly with their pass rush.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, AZColt11 said:

Is it just me, or does it seem like we get the most out of him in the short passing game?  I'm trying to recall more than a few times where he caught a pass and didn't get some good yardage out of it?  I'm TOTALLY flummoxed on why he wasn't utilized more in the Ravens game, particularly with their pass rush.

They threw all kinds of short pssses v Balt.  Several screens and dump offs 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JediXMan said:

What a breakout year for him. He’s feasting on this Offense. 

Right... so you have to wonder what in the heck was the point in NOT using him in last weeks loss? He was barely used at all and one of his 4 touches was in garbage time.  This is what we've been complaining about.  

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I just don't get how he isnt schemed for more. Its like Reich is reluctant to give him the ball at times. Even in the first half, when Wilkins and Taylor couldn't get a single yard, Hines came in and ripped off 2 big plays, then sits for the rest of the series. 

 

I think it was the series where they lined up Wilkins out wide lmao.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

He’s like prime Giovanni Bernard but better.


He is more like Austin Ekeler that Philip loves to throw to, IMO. It took Frank till the bye week to figure out to properly use him in space. He is the only back we can truly go no huddle with passing and running, IMO.

 

Other things they haven’t used him for - flanking him out vs LBs and hitting slants for YAC, reverses in 2 RB formations etc. Still lots of untapped potential, IMO.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

He came to play last night, looked like the fastest dude on the field! 

 

 

Good thing he bounced a lot of those runs to the outside. Colts do so much better with runs to the outside. 


That is on the RB and his vision. Stutter inside a tad bit to keep LBs occupied if your OL has a stalemate and then bounce it outside in the form of a patient run, something JT is yet to do enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, chad72 said:


He is more like Austin Ekeler that Philip loves to throw to, IMO. It took Frank till the bye week to figure out to properly use him in space. He is the only back we can truly go no huddle with passing and running, IMO.

 

Other things they haven’t used him for - flanking him out vs LBs and hitting slants for YAC, reverses in 2 RB formations etc. Still lots of untapped potential, IMO.

That's the key.  All of our other RBs are one dimensional, or seem to be used that way.  One of the reasons for Hines success is that he was on the field a lot, spread wide or in the backfield.  It was unpredictable as to when or how he would be used.  Used as an APB rather than just a RB.

 

I think Taylor is multidimensional, but may not be far enough along.  Mack never seemed to be used that way.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nickster said:

They threw all kinds of short pssses v Balt.  Several screens and dump offs 

Speaking about Nyhiem in particular.  When I look at the box score, I see him credited with 2 carries and 2 receptions on 3 targets.  This coming off a stellar game in Detroit.  Perplexing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

That's the key.  All of our other RBs are one dimensional, or seem to be used that way.  One of the reasons for Hines success is that he was on the field a lot, spread wide or in the backfield.  It was unpredictable as to when or how he would be used.  Used as an APB rather than just a RB.

 

I think Taylor is multidimensional, but may not be far enough along.  Mack never seemed to be used that way.

 

The last few games, he has been used like how the Patriots use James White, running and catching, with LBs unable to keep up and requiring a safety's attention to keep up with him. The biggest difference however is the quality of the opposing defense. Titans' LBs and safeties are a tad slow when compared to the Ravens, the Ravens are on another level of defense with playmakers at all levels of that D, IMO.  Plus, the Titans do not blitz much at all while the Ravens blitz a lot forcing RBs and TEs to stay in to chip more often thus not allowing them to gather speed for their routes, IMO.

 

Bottom line, this roster, if the offense shows a good floor, and bad Rivers is infrequent (almost had another INT throwing a prayer to Marcus Johnson, another head scratcher), we should win the division with the talent assembled, IMO.

1 hour ago, AZColt11 said:

Speaking about Nyhiem in particular.  When I look at the box score, I see him credited with 2 carries and 2 receptions on 3 targets.  This coming off a stellar game in Detroit.  Perplexing.

 

We played Detroit at home.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

It was interesting to note that last night one of the announcers said Hines reminded him of LaVeon Bell talent wise.  It did take Bell a few years to get going.  We can only hope he's right.   

 

He is not as big as Bell, Hines is more like a scat back that will get worn out if run between the tackles too much. Let us not get carried away here. He is more Austin Ekeler/James White like guy that can maintain the element of run or pass and allow teams to go no huddle.

 

However, when you run against the teeth of a D like the Ravens or Steelers, you need guys like JT.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nickster said:

That was an awful play by Wilkins pulling up on the slant.

 

Yeah, you could tell he doesn't have much experience running routes or he made a business decision there knowing the LB was coming. :) 

 

The other part where I felt Rivers missed was a similar slant to Hines where he threw behind him, could have gone for a bit of YAC if he led him right. I have seen Rivers throw those slants to Sproles, Ekeler, and then seen Stafford throw those slants to Riddick, Brady throw those to James White and have yearned for years for us to do that with the only guy we can do that with successfully, Hines. Hopefully Frank tries more of those as time goes on. They should work on it more to get the timing right for Rivers to know the speed of the pass catchers for those slants.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chad72 said:

 

Yeah, you could tell he doesn't have much experience running routes or he made a business decision there knowing the LB was coming. :) 

 

The other part where I felt Rivers missed was a similar slant to Hines where he threw behind them. I have seen Rivers throw those slants to Sproles, Ekeler, and then seen Stafford throw those slants to Riddick, Brady throw those to James White and have yearned for years for us to do that with the only guy we can do that with successfully, Hines. Hopefully Frank tries more of those as time goes on. 

 

They run a lot of arrow routes too. I'd like to see more of that in short yardage.  We are still struggling there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Shive changed the title to Nyheim Hines (MERGE)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...