Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Which Young Qb Will Lead Their Team To A Superbowl Win First?

theking213

70 members have voted

1. 1. Which young QB (under 25 yrs old) will lead their team to a Super Bowl first?

• Andrew Luck (Colts)
    • Andy Dalton (Bengals)
    • Cam Newton (Panthers)
    • Mark Sanchez (Jets)
    • Tim Tebow (Jets)
    • Robert Griffin III (Redskins)
    • Jake Locker (Titans)
    • Christian Ponder (Vikings)
    • Matthew Stafford (Lions)

For me it was between, Dalton and Stafford although I'm obviously hoping its Luck. With their two first round picks, if the Bengals could add guys like Upshaw and Hill/Wright, then imo they wouldn't be too far off. Then again, Dalton and Green could have sophomore slumps and tank this season.

I know they did well last year, but I'm not sold on either Newton or Dalton. I'm also not picking any rooks until they show how well they handle the transition to the NFL. I'd say that Stafford is heads and away closest to being a championship caliber QB, but that could be because he's been in the league the longest (I'm not counting Sanchez, I wouldn't have even had him on that list). It doesn't mean he'll win one, either.

I've gotta say Stafford. Keep in mind the key word here is "lead"...Sanchez hasn't led the Jets to anything, he was there for the ride. Saying Sanchez led the Jets to 2 AFC Championship games is like saying Aaron Moorehead led us to a victory in Super Bowl 41

Plus, one of those playoff wins was when the Colts basically gifted the Jets the game with that dumb timeout call and the botched special teams return.

What kind of a Colt fan would I be if I said anything other than Andrew Luck?

But even if I'm being completely truthful I'd honestly go with Luck. The only two I see as any competition to that would be Stafford and Dalton. The Lions have a solid all-around team, but I don't see them ever getting over the hump in that NFC Conference. Green Bay, San Fran, Chicago (with Cutler), an NFC East with 3 solid teams, Atlanta, NO, it all just seems like too much for what I see as only an above average team to get through. Sure they could continue to improve, but I think as long as Rodgers and Thompson are in GB, and Harbaugh is in San Fran, those teams are the class of the NFC.

The Bengals might have a slightly easier road, but I don't see them getting over the hump either. They won't in the next couple years, and I see us being a very strong contender 2 years down the road. I know I'm a homer, but it's just one man's honest opinion.

The road to the AFC Championship goes through Indy!!! two years down the road

Stafford, pretty easily. The Lions are the closest team to being a Superbowl ready team. Also Stafford is currently the best QB on the list. I was very impressed with Cam Newton last year, but the Panthers have alot of work to do as a team to get to that level. Dalton was kind of the opposite of Newton, I was not sold on him(although he definitely showed promise), but I was sold on the Bengals, they look like a great young team. As far as Luck goes, I am looking forward to seeing him play, but this team has alot of work to do to get back to a top team. Also, hate to say this, but we haven't even seen him take a snap in the NFL. The other QBs have either not proven anything, don't look good, or aren't a very good team, possibly all of the above with guys like RGIII and Ponder, who's only plus side was being better than an old looking McNabb.

I don't think any of them will win one. Given how few QB's have actually won Super Bowls, versus how many play in the league each year, I don't think it's reasonable to assume anything.

I agree. I voted just for the sake of discussion, but it's very hard to predict. It's easy to look at a list and say "I think ____ will win a Super Bowl", but for it to actually happen is based on so many things, a number of which are impossible to predict, like injuries and penalties. It also is based on many things that the QB doesn't control, like the coaching and the play of the defense

I've gotta say Stafford. Keep in mind the key word here is "lead"...Sanchez hasn't led the Jets to anything, he was there for the ride. Saying Sanchez led the Jets to 2 AFC Championship games is like saying Aaron Moorehead led us to a victory in Super Bowl 41

Ya can't read the topic line litteraly "lead". Its going to take a team to go to the SB. check.

That team will have a QB and by default is the leader unless its a power defense ala Dilfer team:)

(actually he played read good in that SB..lotta good passes too).

Given that. Jets would be contenders by virtue of a half decent team).

Colts? They will be a ?? until the new overhaul team takes shape.

Lions..eh..they always blow it:)

Panthers aren't going anyhwere.

Whats left. Bengals?

I think the one that has the best chance is Stafford. He had a phenomenal year and once that defense gets a bit better, they could seriously make a run in the playoffs. I see all the other teams being nowhere near the playoffs, on the doorstep or barely in, but never making a big run.

Stafford and Detroit is the only team that I think can make a run and win.

Stafford seems like an obvious pick put I honestly see the lions making multiple playoff births but going no where with them. As much as I don't care for Sanchez, the Jets are a successful playoff team, and with a year or two of team buffering (if they'll keep Sanchez that long), the team could be right back in the fray. None of these teams are probably going to the Superbowl with in 3 years anyways. So heck... I guess it could be Luck.

I don't think any of them will win one. Given how few QB's have actually won Super Bowls, versus how many play in the league each year, I don't think it's reasonable to assume anything.

Actually, a few of them may have a better shot at winning a title over guys like Peyton and Brady.

The odds of winning a SB decrease once you reach your mid thirties I believe, mainly ages 35/36. Look it up some time. Certainly it's not impossible to win it once you reach your later years, but history does favor youth.

This is a random article from 2010 for example:

http://symonsez.word...her-super-bowl/

Of 88 starting NFL quarterbacks in the Superbowl, 62 have been younger than 33 years old. So, it seems that getting there at age 33 is more difficult than winning it once you get there. When you look at it even deeper, you find that of the 13 older quarterbacks to have been victorious, Bart Starr, Len Dawsonand John Unitasrepresent four of the veteran champions as they won 4 of the first 5 Superbowls. So, from 1972 on, we’re down to nine thirty-33 or better quarterbacks to wear the Superbowl ring. The final 9 included some multiple winners. John Elwaywon twice at at 37 and 38. Jim Plunkett was 33 the first time around and 36 when he captured his second Superbowl title. Roger Staubach, Joe Theismann, Joe Montana, Steve Youngand Brad Johnsonare the other winners who were at least 33 years old. So there are just 10 men who have won the big prize as a starting quarterback when they were older than 32.
Now, it may appear on the surface that it’s more improbable to win a Superbowl with a young quarterback and certainly a rookie. But the average winning age of a quarterback in the Superbowl is 29.95 years while the average age of the quarterback for the losing side is 30. The youngest quarterback to win a Superbowl was Ben Roethlisberger who was just 23. The next youngest….Tom Brady at 24. But, 15 of the 44 Superbowl winners have been under the age of 28. To be sure, the total is limited to a fewer number of exceptional young quarterbacks when you consider that Roethlisberger, Troy Aikmanand Terry Bradshaw had all won two Superbowls before their 28th birthday. And…oh by the way…Tom Brady had won 3 Superbowls before the ripe old age of 28. Nevertheless, the trend seems to be younger because 9 out of the last 10 Superbowls have been won by a quarterback under 33 years old, including the last 7 in a row. And, in those last 10 years, only 3 winners have been 30 or older.

A few of these young lads on the list might be hoisting the Lombardi trophy someday. And it would be great for the game to see a few new stars at QB emerge in the next several years.. It's good for the game.

Actually, a few of them may have a better shot at winning a title over guys like Peyton and Brady.

The odds of winning a SB decrease once you reach your mid thirties I believe, mainly ages 35/36. Look it up some time. Certainly it's not impossible to win it once you reach your later years, but history does favor youth.

This is a random article from 2010 for example:

http://symonsez.word...her-super-bowl/

A few of these young lads on the list might be hoisting the Lombardi trophy someday. And it would be great for the game to see a few new stars at QB emerge in the next several years.. It's good for the game.

Strike it rich early, and before your first contract expires. The first contract is probably the cheapest for the team, and gives them ample room to sign other folks to help your cause.

Rodgers, Brees, Brady all won with their early contracts (both Brady and Brees were playing on the 6 yr. $60 mil. contracts). Eli did so too but the rookie wage scale wasn't present then. Peyton did after 9 years. The next bit of pressure, IMO, is on Matt Ryan. 0-3 just like Peyton to start his playoff career, we will see if Matt Ryan makes the NFCCG like Peyton did with the AFCCG after going 0-3.

I think Cam Newton is the best QB out of those.. I wish Luck..but I don't know how he is in the NFL..he is uproven yet.

Not sure, his passing is still not refined. With 1 year of film that his tendency is to run more because he thinks he is bigger than the LBs will come to an end soon with NFL Ds. If his passing does not improve considerably, he could take a year 2 regression like Vince Young, IMO. In this league, you have to adapt fast. When he played against better competition in the Pro Bowl (even though they weren't playing seriously), he stunk it by making bad reads and I am expecting a bit of a sophomore slump from him.

Ya can't read the topic line litteraly "lead". Its going to take a team to go to the SB. check.

That team will have a QB and by default is the leader unless its a power defense ala Dilfer team:)

(actually he played read good in that SB..lotta good passes too).

Given that. Jets would be contenders by virtue of a half decent team).

Colts? They will be a ?? until the new overhaul team takes shape.

Lions..eh..they always blow it:)

Panthers aren't going anyhwere.

Whats left. Bengals?

I would not say the Lions always blow it. They are kinda new at this winning thing again lol. Despite the loss to the Saints in the playoffs I thought they did okay, early on especially. I felt the refs jobbed them a bit.

Tough division though in the North. They have not won in Green Bay I think since the early 90's. Heck they lost to the Packers to end the season when Rodgers/Jennings/Matthews/Woodson sat out. I felt they must have thought they had the game in the bag a bit going in.

Maturity is an issue with that squad.

The Bengals are an interesting one. Again tough division but if the Steelers/Ravens decline a bit in the next few years it opens the door for them.

With the young guns time will tell......I have to think one of them might get a ring though. I am not trying to sound like a homer but if Luck pans out and so does Pagano and this thing in Indy gets built right then I do think the Colts could have a shot eventually. The AFC South appears to be weaker then several other divisions and the NFC is stronger right now.

As for the "aging QBs" I would say Brady has the best shot next season. If the Pats avoid major injuries I could see them winning the AFC again. The question is if they would win the big one if they get back. ;)

As for the "aging QBs" I would say Brady has the best shot next season. If the Pats avoid major injuries I could see them winning the AFC again. The question is if they would win the big one if they get back. ;)

Unless Peyton finds his old magic and the Broncos magically start covering TEs, the Pats, and then the Ravens have to be the top 2 dogs in the AFC.

Not sure, his passing is still not refined. With 1 year of film that his tendency is to run more because he thinks he is bigger than the LBs will come to an end soon with NFL Ds. If his passing does not improve considerably, he could take a year 2 regression like Vince Young, IMO. In this league, you have to adapt fast. When he played against better competition in the Pro Bowl (even though they weren't playing seriously), he stunk it by making bad reads and I am expecting a bit of a sophomore slump from him.

Cam Newton won his team games and broke even a couple Peyton records. He does not have great talent around him at all. Cam is actually a pass first..run second..

I couldn't get myself to vote for anyone but Luck.

Stafford is what my head told me to vote for, however. If the dude could stay healthy for a few full seasons that Lions team could do anything. None of the other teams really offer a championship caliber build.

Stafford will be 24 starting this season. And hes already thrown for 5000 yards and 41 TDs this past season. Dude a beast with Calvin Johnson. Watching them play together reminds me of Peyton and Marv. But differently. Stafford throws an accurate ball only where Calvins giant self could reach it, and relies on that cannon arm to throw deep balls to him. Whereas Peyton relied on timing and perfect execution with Marvin. My point being, if you wanna see some cool QB-WR play, go watch Stafford and Johnson.